Beauty And The Geek – Is Bendeguz A Fake?

To think I thought it was the beauty’s were the fakes this year as surely no person can be that dumb, however the Sunday Telegraph is reporting geek Benedguz Daniel Devenyl-Botos is a fake.

It appears the geek with the over the top moustache is an actor.

The article says:

VIEWERS of Channel 7 reality show Beauty and the Geek have been duped, with one contestant admitting he’s not really a nerd at all but an actor.

Despite being presented as a bookish “historian” on the TV dating contest, Bendeguz Daniel Devenyi-Botos, who has a string of theatre and short-film credits to his name, has confessed to dropping out of university to focus on acting. He told The Sunday Telegraph he signed up to the program to boost his acting career.

Devenyi-Botos has studied at the Sydney Theatre School, the Actors College of Theatre and Television, and the Actors Centre Australia, and he has a professional headshot and casting card. But the 21-year-old’s background has been concealed from fans of the show.

Devenyi-Botos told The Sunday Telegraph the show’s producers were aware he was an actor. In fact they had approached him to be on the program — in which beautiful women and socially inept men are paired up and compete for prizemoney — after seeing him act.

“(The show’s producers) found me while I was in a play,” the part-time patisserie worker confirmed.

“I have no idea why (they) chose not to mention that I’m an actor.”

Beauty and the Geek host Bernard Curry recently insisted all the geeks on the popular dating show were the real deal, and the network last week stood by its claims Devenyi-Botos was a nerd.

“Bendeguz is currently studying history at university and his love of historical events is how he is identified on the show,” a spokesman said. “Acting, among other pursuits outside of uni, is also an interest of his.”

If he is an actor he is not doing a very good job of it, as personally I have not found Bendeguz as entertaining as his profile suggests. Jimmy, Julian and Lachlan who do appear genuine.

However from his actors profile from Shakespeare by the Sea it would appear he is more into drama than comedy.

1 Sue { 10.02.11 at 9:45 am }

Not surprised at all. There is at least one of the beauties that is faking being a bimbo too. I hate that I love watching the show whist I KNOW that they’re duping us. It’s not a reality show, it’s a comedy/drama with actors.

2 sue { 10.02.11 at 8:53 pm }

well, if he is an actor- he is a pretty bad one!!! lol- talk about over-acting and being a caricature of a man!!! :)

3 brain dead dave { 10.02.11 at 11:04 pm }

So far he’s been acting- like a fool.

4 Craig { 10.03.11 at 12:46 pm }

I am a professional geek and can assure anyone worryed about it, all these geeks are putting it on. The vast majority of geeks are not identifiable as so if you met them, they are just normal people into geeky things.

5 TV Girl { 10.03.11 at 6:37 pm }

Surely an unknown actor can also be a geek???

6 Culinary Boner { 10.04.11 at 1:21 pm }

But the Dick Dastardly mo is real, isn’t it?

7 Georgie { 10.04.11 at 1:51 pm }

Lol CB…

8 Weeezza { 10.04.11 at 9:22 pm }

He’s an actor and not a particularly good one. It’s obvious he is faking and the character he has chosen to adopt is boring. Shame because the show has the potential to be the social experiment it promised

9 Selty { 10.04.11 at 11:54 pm }

The wonderful Bendeguz is no fake. Seeming I know him in real life and all and are not judging the poor bloke solely on false information in a sensationalist newspaper article… Yes, he does don that wonderful ‘stache in real life. Yes, he does wear vintage gentleman’s clothing IN REAL LIFE. He is also a true geek, like myself. He loves his history. He knows so much about it, as well, it’s scary. He also loves his theatre. He’s never shied away from telling people he does, or that he is an actor.

Also, he didn’t drop out of uni like the article says he did. Pure B.S.

To whoever reads this – I hope I have somehow swayed your false opinion on Bendie. He’s a lovely guy and I am sure if you met him in real life, you’d be sad you even thought such things about him.

10 Culinary Boner { 10.05.11 at 9:32 am }

Then why dress like Ren Hoek*?
Bendi’s get-up would be much more credible if he actually dressed like a historical character. Sure Hitler’s probably out of bounds, but a show like this deserves a cracking Mussolini impersonation. A real history geek would, of course, be much, much less obvious than Il Duce. Douglas MacArthur, Teddy Roosevelt, King Harold II would be good… ‘though all too manly for Bendi’s effette screen presence, unfortunately. Lawrence of Arabia might work. He did bat for the other team, as they say.

It’s the fez on its own that bugs me. If you are going to imitate Tommy Cooper you should at least be funny.

“So I rang up a local building firm, I said ‘I want a skip outside my house.’
He said ‘I’m not stopping you.’

* the psychotic chihuahua from Ren & Stimpy.

11 Georgie { 10.05.11 at 10:11 am }

Ren and Stimpy, my favorite cartoons. Loved the Abe Lincoln history lesson and when Stimpy lost his fart.

12 Culinary Boner { 10.05.11 at 1:00 pm }

Georgie, My favourite episode was Space Madness. Ren & Stimpy were great cartoons when creator John K had full artistic control and lost their mojo when Nickolodeon execs took over to make more dosh. I think the fart one (Son of Stimpy) was the last that John K produced. Pity. Though being more infantile than I should be, I get bigger laughs out of Beavis & Butthead and King of the Hill (which heightened my respect for Propane salesmen around the world).

SPAAACE MADNESSSS…

13 brain dead dave { 10.05.11 at 1:29 pm }

More Tommy Cooper material-
“The wife suggested I get myself one of those dick enlargers, so
I did…. she’s 21 and her name’s Lucy”

“Following the tragic death of the Human Cannonball at the Kent
Show, a spokesman said “We’ll struggle to get another man of the same calibre”

‘Prince William says he doesn’t want the traditional fruit cake
at his wedding. Prince Phillip says he doesn’t give a toss, he’s still going”

“The cost of living has now gotten so bad that my wife is having sex with me because she can’t afford batteries!”

14 Culinary Boner { 10.05.11 at 1:54 pm }

And Tommy Cooper died on the job…
…literally
… on live TV.
Something X-factor contenders seem to manage to do every night.

15 Mahlia { 10.05.11 at 3:50 pm }

No, sorry don’t buy it.
He looks like an ordinary guy in all the other pics of him on the Internet. No weird moustache in any of those photos.
If the tv show is the real him then he is someone who is choosing to live in the past – not a geek at all.

16 Georgie { 10.05.11 at 3:56 pm }

My old fave Tommy Cooper joke- ‘last night I dreamt I ate a 10lb marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone’

17 Georgie { 10.05.11 at 4:36 pm }

CB – thanks for the Space Madness link, I found all sorts of other goodies too. I haven’t seen Beavis & Butthead or King of the Hill but I’ll look into it.

18 Georgie { 10.06.11 at 8:50 pm }

Just watching this show now and I’ve decided Bendeguz is more of a dork than a geek.

19 b123rocker { 10.07.11 at 6:03 pm }

HE IS NOT A FAKE, he might be an actor but he is still a massive geek. I went to school with him. Believe me he is like this all the time, acting was a way for him to come out of his shell. It does not change him being a geek and this show is a really good opportunity for him.

20 Anonymous { 10.07.11 at 6:23 pm }

Yeah, i went to school with bendeguz – i was a few years behind him.
He definitely acted this way the entire time i knew him, and that was several of his teenage years, the article from the telegraph is such a joke, he attended dramatic classes etc. – how does that in anyway correlate to him ‘being an actor’ – if i’ve gone to two first aid classes in my life it in no way makes me a paramedic.
Secondly, to the person way up above who slammed his choice of ‘historical caricature’, why on earth would one have to don the garb of a popular, influential or simply memorable figure in history – if i remember correctly his bio on the shows sight says that he is most fond of the upperclass lifestyles of post-war (one) western europe (famously satirised in Waugh’s Decline and Fall) – some of the comments here are incredibly misinformed and generally unconstructive, but it’s a pretty great proof of the way reading a headline can cause the human brain to jump to any number of futile conclusions.

21 Culinary Boner { 10.07.11 at 9:44 pm }

”why on earth would one have to don the garb of a popular, influential or simply memorable figure in history”

a real geek just might

a dweeb, on the other hand, would ponce about pretending they were Sebastian from Brideshead Revisited

22 brain dead dave { 10.07.11 at 10:04 pm }

You went to school, Anonymous ? Presumably you learned to punctuate. Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

23 Culinary Boner { 10.07.11 at 10:21 pm }

bdd, lol, though you’re probably wasting keystrokes on this lot…

What if it’s ya Aunty Jack? The horse’d be happy either way in this case

24 Anonymous { 10.07.11 at 10:29 pm }

Really? Grammar checks on a comment on an article on a website dedicated to our guilty obsession with reality tv? Fellow anon raised a good point, and I can’t see how capitalizing where appropriate would affect his meaning.

25 Anonymous { 10.08.11 at 11:09 am }

Guys, he’s not a fake, I went to school with him and he is legitimately like this in real life, at least he was for as long as I knew him. One of the weirdest guys I’ve ever met. There is no way he’s acting, why would you even believe some bullshit telegraph article?
Seriously, if you had met him you wouldn’t doubt it.

26 Kit { 10.09.11 at 10:00 pm }

Bendi is a good friend of mine and has been for many years. While it’s true that he is an actor I can grantee that what you see on the show isn’t an act. He is genuinely like that, dresses like that, and act’s like that. His fez is actually part of his usual attire and he loves his suits and pocket-watches. But all up he is a good bloke and one of the most honest people I know.

27 Jane { 10.11.11 at 3:24 pm }

I’ve lived next door to Bendeguz for 10 years – and that entire time he’s dressed and acted exactly as he does on the show. So unless he’s been acting the whole 10 years I’ve lived next to him…..

28 brain dead dave { 10.11.11 at 4:36 pm }

What’s next? A testimonial from his dog?

29 Culinary Boner { 10.11.11 at 5:11 pm }

Dog? A plain old dog? Nah. Bdd, if Anon (post #20) above is on the money we’ll instead be getting a testimonial from a jewel-encrusted pet tortoise.

Seriously everyone. I surrender before a letter from the Queen is stumped to support Bendi’s “authenticity”.

I admit the error of my ways. I now accept that this guy has ALWAYS dressed like a fop-shop country manor eccentric uncle. He probably rides a penny farthing as well.

I add however that this only makes him what he appears on the show – a self-aware dweeb – as opposed to a lukewarm-blooded geek/nerd.

I hereby rest my case.

30 bende is cutee haha ;) { 10.11.11 at 9:00 pm }

hahahahhahaahaa, at all the comments up theree ^^^
I rekon hes not a fake. It does seem a bit weird that he dresses & talks lyk that..but there r sum real strange people around :/ just go to gosford (on the central coast and ull know what i mean! People dress likevampires & shit.
…&like theyre from the 1800’s. I know one in particular lmfao

31 Leave bendeguz alone! { 10.21.11 at 8:42 am }

Bendeguz is NOT a fake. I attend Sydney theatre school and he is EXACTLY as he appears on the show, a genuine guy who is very hurt by these accusations!

32 Skweekah { 10.21.11 at 11:19 am }

He’s the best one on the show. He should take the hosts place. Also, you cant fake what he does. It takes years of dedication and immersing oneself into being that sartorial.

33 idiots { 10.23.11 at 2:23 pm }

of course he is faking
its really really obvious. his personality is different each show…
if you really watch the show you can see its all set up. nothing is really authentic

34 Dawn { 10.27.11 at 8:20 pm }

What a wankerand what an insult to the show. When I first heard of the show I expected air heads boring nerds. I have a completely differnet attitude now. Real people being themselves and not being shamed into a stereotype. Be proud of yourselves ladies and gentleman. If this wad really thinks he can act and be believable he is sadly mistaken. Stand aside and let “Geeks” who really deserve to be on the show shine. They are REAL PEOPLE. You are a waste of space

35 seepi { 10.27.11 at 8:50 pm }

It would have taken a few years to grow that waxed Mo I think.

36 Dawn { 10.27.11 at 9:17 pm }

OMG!!! Just saw his make over. Guess he forgot to be in character afterwards. Hmm?? So much for his acting abilility
: – (

37 Rick { 10.28.11 at 4:47 pm }

I just want to say that I have been a personal friend of Bendeguz for many years, and he is 100% genuine.
He’s an actor AND a historian. I don’t get why people have such a hard time with the fact that people can be MORE THAN ONE THING. Are we so deranged that if someone doesn’t fit into our neat little pigeon holes, we say they must be lying or cheating?

I guess someone who talks different or dresses different to you MUST be a fake. Right?

38 Castcrag { 10.31.11 at 11:00 pm }

Ummmm, is this the guy that works at the patisserie in Castlecrag? I

39 lol { 11.03.11 at 8:25 pm }

went to primary school with Bendi and to me he hasnt changed a bit. I remember on our “mufty” days when we could wear any clothes to school he’d wear the wierdest outfits like an old african safari suit. This is him just as i remember him. I was just watching the show with no idea i’d see this guy i went to primary school with.

40 G { 11.17.11 at 9:16 pm }

this is stupid. So the guy obsessed with history is also into history. Who didn’t expect that?

41 Tony { 11.26.11 at 2:00 am }

Is Bendeguz a “geek”? According to my dictionary, a geek is: an unfashionable or socially inept person; or a person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest; or a carnival performer who does wild or disgusting acts. The word “geek” is said to come from Germanic origins meaning “fool”, or being “mad” or “silly”.

Bendeguz could be said to be unfashionable and socially inept in certain ways, for example if he causes some to think (as in this blog) that he dresses like a “psychotic chihuahua” or “probably rides a penny farthing”. He does seem to have an eccentric devotion to dressing like upper-class figures from the 1920’s. Other than amongst some of the people of Gosford, who we hear (on this blog) “dress like vampires”, it is likely that Bendeguz would be judged as mad or silly by some. So he probably meets the definition of a geek.

On the other hand, there is something about his manner which does, at least to the TV viewer of BATG, seem artificial, indeed manneristic. I suspect that there is a defensive split in his personality originating from a young age which is hardly likely to be consciously put on, but rather an automatic way of behaving. The fact some viewers have been critical of Bendeguz indicates the limits of tolerance of eccentricity in the population and the Australian dislike of perceived fakes.

The paradox is that he was probably the most unfashionable, obsessed and socially inept person on the show – such a genuine geek that he was not fully understood or accepted in a show about geeks. I would like to see a follow-up TV show where those so geekish that they are thought to be fake geeks are featured, so that the a matter of who is caricature (of a geek), who is a contrived caricature, and who is a caricature of a caricature, is explored.