The Renovators – The Kids Room Challenge

So August finally had to do some work himself, and he was finding it difficult. He had to assemble a kitchen back at the Marrickville shop, and he was blaming Natalia for a missing part and instructions. However in a later scene he has the instructions in his hands.

I was perplexed by the sewrage issue at the Parramatta Weatherboard (green team), it appeared to be an unexpected expense, but the explanation made it appear that it was a regulatory thing. Keenan said the old pipes have to be replaced, he did not say they were broken. If it was a requirement why wasn’t it known at the beginning of the renovation?

The fibro shack had real estate agents come in, and told them they could expect between $550,00 and $600,000 for it. This would be a top end price for Blacktown if you look at houses on Domain. But then real estate agents love talking themselves up so you sign on the dotted line with them. If they do achieve that price, the key holder to that house would have a good chance of winning. (Please do not discuss auction prices on this thread, go to the spoiler thread)

Luke had a “I wish I could tell you what I really think” expression on his face as he was talking about the drama of getting the huge LG fridge into the inner city terrace. It would not fit and they had to take the fridge doors off. However he said “We can’t do it now as we are due at the warehouse for a challenge” he was not happy and frustrated by it all.

Once they arrived at warehouse, the challenge was to turn a white room into a kids room. However it was not until after they had completed the challenge were they told children would be the ones voting, and the room with the highest vote would be winning the four tradesman for 48 hours.

A quick rundown on the challenge:

• Natalia and Nathan got into the theme by painting their walls a baby poo colour. They were aiming theirs squarely at the judges style, so were not happy when it turned out to be a vote;
  • August was overly ambitious with his toy soldiers theme and in the end there was only one toy soldier, however his room was nicely designed;
  • Peter had  a disaster with his paint mixing, apparently he has never done it himself, and had to change from his rubiks cube design walls to just straight lilac with some Jackson Pollock like flicks on them;
  • The weatherboard did an indoor cubby house which was going to be popular, also Melissa tried to gain some votes by yahooing at the kids;
  • The navy blue boys were making their fantasy room complete with a huge TV; and
  • The light blue boys (inner city) worked harmoniously together to produce a nice unisexed bedroom.

The top three were navy blue boys, light blue boys, and the green team. It was no surprise the green team won.

What I can’t work out is this is the final week, the finale will be next Sunday, so logically there must be an elimination each night this week.

1 JStar { 10.03.11 at 12:07 am }

Hey RR. Double elimination on the first episode shown on Friday scheduled for the last two teams to go ahead. Due to the disappointing ratings and the possible fast tracking of Junior MasterChef (didn’t Julia Gillard film her guest spot just weeks ago?), I think there has been some hurried editing to combine all the footage to now fit it into the new programming schedule. The two episodes on Friday is testament to that.

I liked the Khaki design but Natalia knew they were dead the moment she realised the kids were going to decide. Definitely thought the best room won. It hit all the right boxes. I think even if the judges had to make the final decision, it would have gone to the Green Team. This challenge definitely highlighted how well Keenan and Melissa work together, as well as Nathan and Natalia. It also showed how utterly unfair it was to leave poor Nathan without a team mate for so long as both August and Peter had no chance in completing all the necessary work in time to a certain standard.

Not sure if I agree with you that the Sky Blue Team worked harmoniously. They got the job done but there was some tension (hopefully setting it up for a strong head-to-head challenge between them). Luke (at least in terms of the editing) has a lot of patience. One would need to if having to deal with Jason (whom I love) and his permanent state of arrested development

2 Moonstruck { 10.03.11 at 12:34 am }

In the episode that Keenan and Melissa were given the news about the pipes it seems like they thought it would not apply to them. Then some tradie (a plumber?????) told that they had to do it, they couldn’t get out of it. It wasn’t clear because we do t see much of the renovations.

3 GHarris { 10.03.11 at 1:01 am }

The situation as I understand it with the green team is that they were told earlier in the competition that the pipes may need changing but not to worry about it so they didn’t factor it into their budget but then about a week ago they were told by the site manager that they definitely need changing and could cost 7000 dollars but they’ve won 14000 since then from the bathroom and wedding challenges so that should easily cover the costs. I LOVED the green teams room I want want one!!! The renovators who had kids in that age bracket definitely did better than those who don’t. Natalia and Nathan would have got more votes if they had bunk beds and if they’re colour palette was abit more “cowboys and Indians”

4 sue { 10.03.11 at 8:10 am }

whilst I knew the green team would win- instant kid appeal!!, having had an “accident” prone son (read…idiot!!! lol) my 1st thought re the monkey bars was- fall, broken bones!!!! if you had 2 kids skylarking around on the bars- just about a guranteed injury!!!! and no soft fall stuff below, lol.

also, given the green team have won some stuff lately, I do NOT understand how they came to only have a bar fridge in the finished kitchen (see agent pics)- as a female, one f the 1st things I would notice in a “fully funrished” house. I do not undertsand this. they could have got a simple normal size fridge cheaply.

re the pipes- unfortunate, BUT they were warned and should have had a contingency plan- no buffer in the budget equals poor planning. I am not sure how good melissa is at budgeting…remember when she had allowed $200 for kitchen cabinets???? lol

5 brandy { 10.03.11 at 8:45 am }

there’s a two hour finale on monday night starting at 8.30 according to tv tonight.

6 Reality Raver { 10.03.11 at 9:36 am }

brandy – you are probably right I got my info from a tweet from Baz Dubois who said he thought the finale was on the 9 Oct. TV Tonight is pretty accurate most of the time.

7 Pamie { 10.03.11 at 10:24 am }

Q: Will we still be asking questions when it’s all over?
A: Yes.

Q: Would I still be watching if Michael had been eliminated earlier on?
A: I doubt it.

8 nanaliz { 10.03.11 at 10:31 am }

Morning everyone, Just checked ch10 tv guide and eps on tue, wed, thurs and double on frid. Sunday programming yet to be announced. Last 2 elims (kharki and navy) on frid. I heard 9th Oct some time ago mentioned on the show for auction. Perhaps things have changed with all spoilers out and about.

9 Danielle { 10.03.11 at 11:08 am }

I don’t know about the Light Blue Boys working harmoniously together during the white room challenge, I thought Luke looked quite annoyed when they were deciding where to hang the clock, and appeared to walk off in disgust and Jason was calling after him to come back. Jason must be tipping this good natured bloke almost over the edge.

I just loved the Navy Blue boys room – I thought Jarrod did such a fab job of the wall art himself and it seemed to have a nice feeling about it. I perhaps would have liked the Green team’s room more if Melissa hadn’t have been so obviously doing a sell to the kids. That was so unfair. She is all about herself that one.

Was glad anyway to hear this is the last challenge – it just seemed so pointless at this late stage of the competition to have the teams taken off site and produce something that won’t benefit any of them. It clearly didn’t add value and if it was such an important challenge – why didn’t they do it in the house they were renovating?

I thoroughly enjoyed August being shown up last night. Both at the shop fumbling around trying to put the kitchen together and blaming Natalia – as if she would be that low. And then again, wasting time on the small stuff – the solitary toy soldier. Despite putting down both Christie & Natalie recently, it was quite apparent how much value both those girls added and how little he did.

What was with Peter wrestling with Natalie for the Rubik’s cube cushion? Pretty poor form I assume he took control of it but I can’t recall seeing it in his r.oom.

Part of the entertainment of this show is how adhoc and haphazardly it has been put together. No consistency at all and it’s all over the place. But I’m strangely drawn to it.

10 nanaliz { 10.03.11 at 11:19 am }

I really find August a nasty, waspish little bully. What goes around comes around. Peter not as bad but I definately dislike him. Jason is starting to grate on me more. Mellissa just plain annoying. All the others great.

11 Dutch Courage { 10.03.11 at 11:44 am }

Danielle, Melissa is not all about herself….apparently it’s all about giving her son Harrison a better life! I’m sure we’ll have that repeated a few times before she gets eliminated. Whatever is driving her…she is annoying.

12 Fides { 10.03.11 at 1:36 pm }

Danielle – I’m pretty sure I saw the Rubiks cube cushion in the finished Sky Blues room, as I remember wondering how they ended up with it.

Loved Jarrad’s concept and he looked overjoyed to be living out his childhood fantasy of having the sky on his walls. He and Michael are such a cohesive team and really liked Michael’s wall length toy box/seat too, though glad the Greens scored the win, more so for Keenan’s sake than Melissa.

What does 4 tradies for 48 hours really mean though? If it’s anything like their challenges, it would just mean 16 hours ie 2 working days, right?

But they all look exhausted, Nathan and Keenan especially. Don’t think Nathan’s fully recovered from the flu he had few weeks back – I wonder if that was what prompted the judges to give him a team mate, considering when August got sick, he could take the day off.

13 Buzz { 10.03.11 at 2:19 pm }

My 2 cents (for what it’s worth):
August – crafty, possible roman emperor complex brought on by name
Peter – crazy-eyes, past lives as a Venetian courtesan and lab assistant explains the love of white and mirrors
Melissa – hmmm, annoying definitely, but with an eye (and instinct) for the main chance
Keenan – solid, knows his stuff, hard not to like (and wears specs well)
Nathan – has a surprisingly hot girlfriend, dogged, reminds me of the black knight in the holy grail, only tireder
Natalia – is taking a break from chasing rocky and bullwinkle, has a gutsy flashdance edge to her
Jarrod – sweetheart, Robyn loves his efforts in trying to ‘get’ design, good team player
Michael – lovely bloke, seems to have integrity, great match with jarrod and works like a demon
Luke – took a while to get to know, seems laid-back and a good bloke and hard worker (love some of the terrace styling e.g twin fireplaces – whose work was that?)
Jason – great bloke to punch a cone with, not sure about him working on my place … seems to love his design work
Have I missed anyone?

14 GHarris { 10.03.11 at 2:40 pm }

I thought Keenan was looked notalbly refreshed this episode he smiled alot more maybe he was able to fit in a quick surf between challenges or maybe he was just happy from seeing his kids.. Luke obviously isn’t a fan of jasons and he often tries to take all the credit for the work, I used to like him but not so much any more. I really don’t like Peter he wasn’t very welcoming towards Sam (unlike Nathan with Natalia) and he doesn’t seem to be able to do anything he’s been riding on other peoples coattails this entire competition but I never really noticed cause his talks himself up so much

15 GHarris { 10.03.11 at 2:59 pm }

Oh and my Favourite part of the episode was definatly the shirtless shot of august 😉

16 Angel86 { 10.03.11 at 4:22 pm }

About the rubik’s cube cushion, Peter scrapped his rubik’s cube on the wall idea so he may have ditched the cushion at the point and put it back in with the other stuff. Especially once he went for a girl’s room. I didn’t really like his room much.

I knew the Green team would win, kids will always love monkey bars and a cubby. Don’t know how safe or practical they would be long-term though.

August is annoying me more and more in every episode. Can’t believe he was trying to blame Natalia for the fact that he has no idea how to put together the kitchen.

17 Renocrazy { 10.03.11 at 5:29 pm }

Hi everyone, only just watched as as had grand-kids birthdays and family things over weekend. Fun episode and loved winning room, also both blue teams. Didn’t dislike August’s at all, hated Peters. It seems odd a ‘designer’ can’t mix colours and showed how much he’d relied on others. Now I know why he sticks to black and white (hey, maybe he is secretly colour blind!).
Loved the appraisal by “Buzz’ of contestants peronalities.
I missed the very end of show (stuffed up recording times in rush) so wondering if they announced next team elimination, and if so which team is going ‘head to head’.
Oh and Pamie, are you saying Michael gets eliminated? Or did I miss more than I realised?

18 Pamie { 10.03.11 at 8:36 pm }

Oh Gosh no. Michael is still there and, as much as I adore Jarrod, I hope M will be there to the end.

19 seepi { 10.03.11 at 10:07 pm }

Michael also seemed to have a surprisingly gorgeous girlfriend – and he didn’t seem that pleased to see her.

August also had a surprisingly nice family.

20 Marepoppin { 10.03.11 at 10:15 pm }

I thought Michael was simply in shock… He stood there like a stunned mullet for ages. Then they started arguing bout painting. Wonder whether any of the couples got ‘private time’??

21 Buzz { 10.03.11 at 10:30 pm }

Seepi – agree about august’s family they seemed warm. Not a description I would apply to august. Re Michael, I love him, but was surprised at the ‘what are you doing here woman?’.
Marepoppin – conjugal time? Amongst the debris? Some people probably go for that :)

22 Mors { 10.04.11 at 12:13 am }

Missed the last half hour of show so didn’t find out who’d won till next day. Kids love cubby’s etc so not suprised green team won. So glad when Nathan finally got another teamate to help him. He was on his own for too long! Had enough of the challenges, lets get on with the real reno. Loved Buzz’s descriptions of the contestants. Learned a lot of good stuff from the show. They’re all looking pretty tired now. Any thoughts on who the winner will be?

23 Reality Raver { 10.04.11 at 12:16 am }

Buzz your assessment of the contestants cracked me up. Thanks

24 Marepoppin { 10.04.11 at 12:16 am }

Lol Buzz, they all had a finished bedroom an it’s been months….

25 Buzz { 10.04.11 at 8:16 am }

Marepoppin – of course! The finished bedroom! Love among the freedom accessories then … still a bit of a passion-killer. These guys will never enter a Freedom store again without breaking out in hives.

26 Kate { 10.04.11 at 12:23 pm }

Ooh! Massive quote by the Real Estate Agent for the Fibro House.

With a bit of luck they wrote that massively infalted price on the agency agreement and C10 can sue the crap out of them!! ROFL

27 Pamie { 10.04.11 at 12:42 pm }

Does anyone remember the episode where the teams were presenting their plans and Fiona kept rolling her eyes at Micheal’s plans for the fibro cottage? Imagine the look on her face and what she would be saying about the agent’s valuation. Having said that, Michael didn’t seemed convinced about the price either.
If Michael or Jarrod wins, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they’ve split the prize money. The are both such lovely blokes.

28 Renocrazy { 10.04.11 at 1:07 pm }

550 is way above local values, way way above.
600 isn’t even wishful thinking its downright insulting, expecting Michael to be that gullible. Beautiful reno, fabulous garden, great guys, but am not surprised Michael looked doubtful as would be pretty clued up on how much houses go for.
The valuation has ensured this is a real estate I do not sign with. Or buy through. Ever. If they sold the houses to Channel Ten no wonder they were over priced and maybe Ten/Shine does need to look at legal advice.

29 Renocrazy { 10.04.11 at 1:15 pm }

RR is there any news on Ten trying again with the renovators, or has the final nail been driven into the coffin?
So sad if it is the end as had such (wasted) potential and provided many high spots. Never got this heated over ‘the block’ just annoyed with some of the whining.
I hear a buzz (sorry Buzz) that some of the contestants are thinking of releasing info on in house fighting and other juicy material as soon as cleared of contract obligations… maybe this could be the newest reality show, to find the best reality fightback contestant across multiple reality shows. Head to heads with producers, judges, and other contestants.

30 Buzz { 10.04.11 at 1:50 pm }

Reno-smackdown!!

31 Georgie { 10.04.11 at 1:59 pm }

Or Reality Meltdown

32 Renocrazy { 10.04.11 at 4:16 pm }

Both great, hey what challenges though…nail guns at 50 paces??

33 Renocrazy { 10.04.11 at 4:38 pm }

Sorry, meant 5 paces, not enough ‘wow’ factor if they are 50 paces apart. (LOL)

34 Pamie { 10.04.11 at 9:33 pm }

Thanks Kate for pointing me in the right direction for the laundry in the half done house. Yes I think it is a European laundry because the size clearly reflects the state of the European economy.

35 Kate { 10.05.11 at 4:41 pm }

Pamie :-)

Thanks for putting a smile on my dial!