Julie Goodwin Releases Her Second Cookbook

After the success of her first cookbook, Masterchef Australia season one winner, Julie Goodwin, has released her second cookbook this week, called The Heart Of The Home.

It sounds very similar to the title Claire Winton-Burn had in mind when she was talking about her cookbook in Season Two. I thought hers was going to be called The Hearth Is The Home?

Julie’s recipes are still hearty with influences from her Chinese sister-in-law, and her travels to India. The release is nicely timed for Christmas.

Julie Goodwin is streets ahead of anyone else from the Masterchef series in terms of cookbook sales,diverse media commitments and endorsements, and it does not appear to be waning.

There was an interesting article in today’s Sunday Telegraph where Julie and the two other Masterchef winners, Adam Liaw and Kate Bracks talk about life after Masterchef.

Julie states she is comfortable with the way she looks, and has turned down an endorsement from Jenny Craig as that is not who she is. I admire her for this and for being candid about it. I doubt she would be as popular if she became svelte.

Apparently Adam Liaw is STILL looking for a site for his restaurant, however he is also working on his second cookbook. Kate Brack’s cookbook will be all about desserts.

1 smauge { 10.03.11 at 9:18 am }

It will be interesting to see what Kate’s dessert book will be like. Also Adriano Zumbo has released a book last week. Yes I did wet my pants a little when that happened.
I wouldn’t take a Julie Goodwin cookbook if it was handed to me for free.

2 Paul { 10.03.11 at 11:01 am }

I reckon Poh has done probably even better than Julie out of MC.

3 brain dead dave { 10.03.11 at 4:24 pm }

‘She’s comfortable with the way she looks”

Thar she blows…. smoke up her enormous ar$e. Frump.

She can jam her chookbook. I hope she digs deep for Movember.

4 ExEssex { 10.03.11 at 6:17 pm }

BDD, that a bit harsh!
I’m the first to be suprised about Julie’s success. I thought that she would just vanish into obscurity. She dosen’t do it for me, but she sure as hell is selling cookbooks. Last year she was the #1 selling female author in Australia.
I agree with Paul, I think Poh has done the best out of the lot of them.

5 Moo { 10.03.11 at 6:30 pm }

“I wouldn’t take a Julie Goodwin cookbook if it was handed to me for free.”

Personally, I don’t see much practical use for Goodwin’s cookbook either, but I wouldn’t turn down a free copy if only to wipe my ass with it!

6 Georgie { 10.03.11 at 6:39 pm }

BDD you’re so funny – how do you say that in French?

7 Reality Raver { 10.03.11 at 8:32 pm }

Paul, I think if you look at $$$ Julie is far more successful and think now she has set herself up for a long term success. It will be interesting to see what happens to Poh after season 2 of her series.

8 davsimp { 10.03.11 at 11:04 pm }

I bought Julie’s first cookbook – at the start of this year when it was heavily discounted and gathering dust on a shelf at coles wedged behind ‘1000 things to do with carrots’. I think it was around $9.95 and although I do not dislike it I would have been disappointed had I paid forty odd dollars for it. I didnt learn any new recipes from her – all the old classics are in there, chicken parmagiana, roast lamb, mashed potatoes, pavlova etc. I will be rifling through this second one when it hits the shelves to see if it is merely an extension of the first. If I see some stuff that leaps out at me, I will buy it in a couple of years time maybe.

PMSL bdd at ‘chookbook’, there are a lot of poultry recipes in there as it happens.

9 bella vita { 10.03.11 at 11:43 pm }

Julie appeals to the typical aussie bogan housewife, who has nothing better to do with their time but to plan the night’s meal at 6am, with 5 kids to different fathers.
This country is a laughing stock when you travel elsewhere…they think we all live on farms, drink beer all day and eat meat with 3 veg as a daily staple.
YAWN
Note that Big W and Kmart are the biggest sellers of her cookbook, says it all really

10 Moonstruck { 10.04.11 at 12:40 am }

Adam’s book was on sale at the post office which says a lot. While I wouldn’t buy Julie’s book, the appeal I assume is that they are achievable. Given that a lot of gen y and gen x don’t know how to cook, her book would appeal to them. Her recipes would also appeal to busy mums who have to cook 7 if not 14 meals a week.
Recipes with 20 to 30 ingredients and 50 steps are not ones that most people cook often if ever. That’s what restaurants are for.
Julie appears to be smart enough to make the most of her time in the lime light. As is Poh. Season one contestants made the most of the opportunities offered to them, than contestants from seasons two and three.

11 littlepetal { 10.04.11 at 4:04 pm }

Nowadays you can get discount on most books, even on the day of the launch. I think the mark up of books are so high in Australia that selling them at 30 – 40% are quite normal. Didn’t buy Julie’s cookbook but did buy Adam’s cookbook. I like Adam’s cookbook. Have a look at Marion’s but the recipes didn’t appeal to me.

12 brain dead dave { 10.04.11 at 4:37 pm }

I reckon the cover has been photoshopped to trim those bingo wings and turkey giblets around the neck, too. The whiteness of the bench and background really camouflages those appalling saddlebags as well.

I’ll bet the Heart Foundation of Australia won’t touch this publication with a forty foot pole.