The X Factor – Mitchell Callaway Given A Dressing Down

People are going to be divided about the dressing down Mitchell Callaway received tonight on The X Factor. Mitchell who closed the show was given a right telling off by judge Guy Sebastian about his attitude and said he was rude to crew.

Mel B had not heard any of this but was quite scathing. Ronan also gave him a tickle up, but did praise his performance. Mitchell was close to tears and it did not look like he was on stage with the rest of the contestants at the end of the show.

Guy does not strike me as the type of guy to raise this out of spite or to try and sabotage his chance on the show. This arse kicking has guaranteed Mitchell is in the bottom two tomorrow night. Amanda Grafanakis from Season One was eliminated after the judge Kyle Sandilands told her off for being rude.

But what did he do to raise this ire in Guy? The only thing I can find is from a person on twitter called Jordan Willis. He is saying Mitchell has been abusive to cast and crew for weeks. He is also claiming he is bullying Declan. However using twitter as a source is dodgy as a huge number of inaccuracies can be tweeted around. Guy does mentor the group Declan is in.

If this is true it does open up the issue about what the producers are doing to protect the young contestants, particularly as this is the first year under 16 year olds have been able to apply. Declan is only 15 years old so there has to be some duty of care from the producers.

Mitchell has openly admitted he has battled demons in his past and has spent time in prison. The other issue that was brought up that he is not as prepared at rehearsals as the other contestants something he also got ticked off for.

What do you think? Should Mitchell have been humiliated publicly or did this just add to the entertainment factor of the show.

The X Factor tonight was rock theme however there was not a lot of rock in there. Is the definition of rock meaning you can pick a rock song and turn it into something else, or take a pop song and turn it into rock, or in Declan’s case just ignore it all together?

Young Men Society – Walk This Way – Aerosmith

It was a great rendition, not sure if it was full on rock. Their outfits were very bright.

Christina Parie – Give You Hell by All American Rejects

I am amazed Christina had even heard of Alice Cooper who was mentoring the singers this week. She started off really strong but after her foray into the mosh pit her vocals went all wobbly. Again the judges loved her and said she was a star. Natalie’s only criticism was there was too much down time where she was not singing.

Andrew Heslop – The Flame by Cheap Trick

Just as well Andrew is not locked in the Masterchef Australia house he would be a a complete basket case, as there is such limited contact with family.  He is missing his kids and wife however, he must be able to call them whenever he wants. Andrew has said in an interview he could not afford to fly the family up weekly for the performances. I don’t understand why Channel Seven or Shine to stump up the cash for this. The family or some of them did appear to be in the audience tonight. It was a forgettable performance well sung but forgettable.

Mel B thought Nat Bass should have picked more of a rock song for Andrew so he could rock out. Ronan said there were some issues but the way he emotionally connected with the song was fantastic.

Johnny Ruffo – Here Without You by 3 Doors Down

I am in agreement with Mel B, Johnny has a dubious singing voice, last week he was OK, but tonight he tanked. Seriously he should be bottom two tomorrow night. But as Alice Cooper said the girls will love him because he is good looking.

Mel B said “She liked what guy did you do you this week, stripping him back, you have a special something”.

Ronan said “You do have a special something and the longer you are on the show we will find out what that is”.

Nat thought the song did not show him at his best.

Three Wishez – Numb/Encore by Linkin Park/Jay-Z

Is this rock? It was more rap.  Also can wardrobe stop dressing the girl in the hoochie outfits. The leotard with the over the knee boots just did not do it for me. Guaranteed some mother in Toddler and Tiaras will take inspiration from it and it will be at a pageant soon.

Nat said I really would love to say I loved that, but I can’t. Vocally it was all over the place.

Guy said  “It was not all that disasterous…. Need to come out hard but need to have your vocals in tune.”

Jacqui Newland – Shut Up And Drive  by Rihanna

She is very attractive and should appeal to the guys but clearly they are not the ones voting. Personally I thought her voice was still struggling. Ronan welcomed her to the competition as he thought it was good. Personally I put it in the Andrew Heslop category, good but forgettable.

Reece Matin – Dream On by Aerosmith

Oh loved the screech he did towards the end of the song, as I had not seen that coming. The song was the highlight of the night. His mum was going nuts in the audience. Mel B thinks he is a superstar, and Ronan basically gave him verbal fellatio with his comments.

Audio Vixen – Good Times by Jimmy Barnes and INXS

All the judges loved them however Mel B said she thought she was down at the local pub listening to a really good band. Also she thought their clothes were more folk week rather than rock week.

Declan Sykes – Life On Mars by David Bowie

I loved his hair tonight, but am dubious about the rock ethos of his song or even the interpretation of it. However no one mentioned anything. Not his strongest vocals, but this kid has a huge likeability factor.

Ronan loved him. Nat Bass said I really like you a lot. Declan quickly said cheekily “What are you trying say?”

Mitchell – Run To Paradise by Choir Boys

He should get extra points for actually doing a rock song. However the only thing viewers are going to remember is the shellacking he got from Guy and the other judges. Anyway his vocals were not fabulous.

He is guaranteed to be bottom two.

1 Kaylen { 10.04.11 at 12:44 am }

Hmm. I’ll get to the actual show soon.

In regards to Mitch – I question the fact that only Guy was aware of it (Mel said she wasn’t, Ronan alluded to that fact also).

I am also dubious as to the Twitter account you link.

I went through their entire timeline 😛

It was only set up on September the 28th, and a good 90% of the tweets are spam.

Mostly all to do with sending @mentions to people with messages about supporting Declan, voting for him, etc, etc.

Before tonight, probably only a handful were what one would consider an “actual” tweet.

But, he’s something interesting. Before tonight also; 3 tweets were sent suggesting that something was going on with Mitch.

The first on September 28th:

@OfficialMelB got it right tonight when she said Mitchell doesn’t smile. Maybe it is because he has something to hide.

The second also on September 28th:

@mitchcallaway Tell us why you went to prison and what it was like? Did you get picked on by bullies or were you the bully there?

And the third, again, on September 28th:

@SydConfidential should dig around and find the real story about Mitchell Callaway on xfactor. He’s not as sweet as he wants us to think.

Which would make one think; hey, the account was set up on September 28th. On that same day, messages start showing up about Mitchell. It’s also absolutely filled with spam-support messages for Declan.

And then tonight, it suddenly fills up with messages to everyone about Mitchell’s “personality problem”.

They also identify themselves as a “friend of a cast member’s mother”.

They have also mentioned that they have no first-hand information. It’s all second-hand.

They have now continued on with sending @tweets to everyone, telling them how bad a person Mitchell is.

There is also the fact that, from what I have heard and been aware of, there has been no one else with this information. Even though, as they alleged, the entire cast and crew were present for all of this.

Then then go on to mention that they “believe”, but can’t be certain.

So yes, I question the validity of this entire … thing.

2 Lucy { 10.04.11 at 12:49 am }

I think Guy S, should not have tried to play the hero!!!!! As he simply came across as an arrogant, supercilious p***k.
The judges are there to judge, not to bring up issues that are happening back stage. Also every week the judges state that Mitchell is so shy, should come out of his shell etc etc, now this week Guy S states Mitchell is a bully!!!!
If there is an issue with bullying etc etc it should have been taken care off ASAP with all concerned. If someone was such a bully, and rude to crew, why wasn’t the producers/bosses or whoever, take care of this issue, before it was aired or before the bullying effected someone?
I hate bullies with a passion, but I also dislike people like Guy S. Guy there is a place and time for everything!!!!
If it is found that this whole thing was an misunderstanding, I hope Guy S has not succeeded in putting Mitchell off the music industry.
Mitchell I think you have talent, I hope all goes well for you.

3 Kaylen { 10.04.11 at 12:56 am }

So, yeah. Long post. 😛

Ultimately I think it’s a sockpuppet for someone else. Reading through all their tweets, I doubt their knowledge.

If they are being honest, at best it’s all chinese-whispers.

If they are not, though; deliberate deception for their own purpose.

However, I will say if it does all turn out to be true, I will personally be leading the lynch-mob heading towards Mitchell.

That type of behaviour should never be acceptable, by anyone, and to anyone.

I just doubt the story, the people telling it, and the fact that apparently no one else knew. 😉

4 Connie McClean { 10.04.11 at 1:01 am }

Think it was really mean to humiliate Mitchell Callaway on national TV! If he’s done something wrong then kick him out or reprimand him but why air the stuff on TV!!!! Surely X Factor is more professional than to publicly humiliate…. Specially knowing what the public can be like… Do they want a which hunt on their hands????

5 Kate { 10.04.11 at 1:54 am }

Very unprofessional by Guy. It was obvious he waited to say something to Mitchell on stage, if he knew about it he should have talked to him at the time or told Nat to and not wait for the live show to humiliate. Mel and Ronan should not have commented they didn’t know what happened or the context in which it happened. If there was bullying going on behind stage I’m sure that Ronan and Mel would have known about it.

6 Minnie Amber { 10.04.11 at 2:37 am }

i thought guy sebastion was absolutely horrible! total hypocrite, he is the real bully for publically humiliating mitchell. Mitchell had tears in his eyes and i felt so bad for him. altho that being said if mitchell is rude to crew than he needs to apologise definately but tis all speculation right now. if its true then guy should have said it backstage. as for amanda last year she didnt seem to hav a good attitude in general and it showed in my opinion whereas with mitchell it doesnt seem that obvious and with the public outcry over guy’s terrible handling of the situation, i think sympathy votes mite jst keep him alive this week but we’ll hav to see, RR mite jst be right about him ending up in the bottom 2

7 Nessa K { 10.04.11 at 3:14 am }

Come on. The guy threatened to ‘end’ Declan. I didn’t see it myself, and I suppose it’s not all that reliable, but the quote was: ‘look at me again, and I will end you’. Maybe I’m biased because Declan’s my favorite, or maybe because this guy was picking on a damn fifteen year old, who has freaking AUTISM.

So yeah, maybe on stage isn’t the best place to say it, but if you make the choices like that, you better deal with the consequences!

8 Dmc { 10.04.11 at 6:51 am }

If that is true he should be off the show immediately. Period. Either shame on them for keeping him on or shame on them for allowing things to escalate.

9 Margie { 10.04.11 at 8:15 am }

Initially it absolutely ‘threw’ me as it appeared totally unprofessional of Guy but when one rethinks it, bullying a fifteen year old is certainly not acceptable. In the world of showbiz, scathing attacks can be the norm so he may has well take it like a man and start controlling his emotions. The negative ones will destroy him and this is a good example of how it can be done. People will either give Mitchell another chance as at least he didn’t ‘talk back,’ or he will have learned one of the hardest lessons of his life. To be liked one must be kind and considerate to others and their differences. Inevitably its the fans who will pay his way to stardom.

10 Georgie { 10.04.11 at 8:19 am }

It’s for exactly this reason that I have stopped watching xfactor – the judges humiliate people as part of the entertainment. I watched the auditions and that was enough. The judges are more about promoting themselves than finding talent and Guy Sebastian is a self inflated tosser.

11 TammyS { 10.04.11 at 8:27 am }

Best performance of the night – Reece and Audio vixen

“I know they are good vocally and I enjoy watching them, but is there anything original about them? That is what Ronan has to work on, to show that they are not just a high end covers band.”

You know this is a show where they sing covers RR. Are any of them really original? I mean YMS and 3 wishez are so americanized and even though they are both entertaining at times, a lot of what they do is cringe worthy.
Christina is a Miley Cyrus Clone
Johnny – Chris Brown
Jacqui – any blonde pretty pop singer(which is all of them).
Reece – his voice is definitely original but not his look or style.

To be honest until we start hearing their original stuff, we’ll never really know what kind of singers they’ll be

12 Jack O'Lantern { 10.04.11 at 9:29 am }

Judging should be based on performance alone. Whatever Guy’s opinions are of Mitchell’s backstage antics should not have been brought to the table . Viewers don’t see what happens backstage (heck some judges have no idea either) and with his comments I am afraid that he has left it to our imaginations…so now people are thinking the worst which may or may not have been…I think it was unfair putting Mitchell on the spot like that. And whilst I dont condone bullying or rudness or violence or whatever might have happened, Guys comments were totally out of place and totally unacceptable. Totally agree Dmc, if it were the case, then it should have been dealt with quickly!

On another note….Go Declan! I think he’s the only contestant with any XFactor…the others are a bore to me and appear as run of the mill wannabes/copy cats. I pretty much agree with what Tammy says. I’d be interested to hear Audio Vixen originals (if they have any) sound like too.

13 Renocrazy { 10.04.11 at 9:43 am }

I’m sorta on the fence here. Bullying is wrong, but what Guy did was also bullying. Picking on someone who can’t fight back is bullying and Mitch could hardly fight back on national TV.
If he is being abusive backstage then he needs to be gone, but if this is over reaction by an protective mother (as it does appear to be on twitter) she needs to be gone too.
Whilst not sticking up for bullies I doubt if there are that many groups or solo artists out there who are not real pricks to their workers, and even their fans. You don’t get to the top by being a nice guy all the time.
If you take all the rough out of rock you’re probably left (now Guy is out of the running) with Justin Bieber and…..and, OMG there must be someone else surely…does Justin have a brother who can sing? Anyody? LOL

14 Kaylen { 10.04.11 at 10:11 am }

To be honest; this story of “bullying” is all hearsay and through second-hand information and is an alleged incident with no proof aside from “omg, trust me dudez”.

Why do people believe it?

15 some random { 10.04.11 at 11:18 am }

There has already been a massive blow-up on the forums of the x factor website about the whole mitchell thing, there would probably have to be 30 threads on it, some negative some positive. However the main theme seems to be that Guy can deal with him backstage, he doesn’t need to tell the whole of australia so they wont vote, what he actually said wasn’t all that bad…

People are also going on about Mel’s involvement, if you watch it you will see that she is sitting there looking uneasy and confused, while she tries to change the subject…she says that if he were to behave like that then she wouldn’t really like his personality (carry on from guy as to not completely ignore him), but i liked your performance (changing the topic), she was right after guy, if anything i think that was the best she could’ve said put under pressure. So i honestly believe, if this is on the morning show in the morning, they should talk about guy, it all rests on his shoulders.

BTW there is also a bit of information on the x factor forums if you want to read…

16 filomena { 10.04.11 at 11:21 am }

l thought
Guy was rude he should have spoken to Mich after the show yes mitch might have probelm but he deserve a chance just like anyone else Guy just because you have your life settled give Mitchell a fair go Mitchell l think your hot and you will be ok and will get there at the end what ever it is you want in life just go for it

17 some random { 10.04.11 at 11:33 am }

Hey filomena, r u the same person on the x factor forums?

18 Fancypants { 10.04.11 at 1:11 pm }

I go on the X factor forum sometimes. There’s a Philomena there but she seems to be one of the Guy fans.

19 Kate { 10.04.11 at 1:19 pm }

Wow, my fav part; Mel B pretending she has such a stellar personality that she can give tips!!

20 Kate { 10.04.11 at 1:25 pm }

Georgie, I admire your wisdom!!!

21 Mel { 10.04.11 at 1:42 pm }

I’m just interested to know where Nessa K got her quote from because doesn’t “don’t look at me again, and I’ll end you” sound too cliche to be true although might be a good line for Underbelly. Just because he has tatoos and had some trouble with the law doesn’t make him a murderer. If a kid has autism it doesnt make what was said any worse then saying to a kid without autism. I hate bullying but it is unfair to find someone guilty of it when you weren’t there and you don’t have to full story.

22 Shaz { 10.04.11 at 2:12 pm }

We the public dont know what really goes on off stage, it is all hear say, but no matter what goes on & even if it is true there is no excuse for Guy to mention this after Mitchells performance, there is a time & place for everything & this was so wrong. As for the other 2 judges to follow up with their comments they too are so cruel. Totally uncalled for, not to mention how disrespectful & unfair it is to their own collegue Natalie. I thought Guy was a good Christian person with kind thoughts for his fellow man, instead he has really shown his true PERSONALITY hasnt he, as if he didnt know what this would create & how this could compact on Mitchell & ruin his chances. Seems like it was a calculated plan This was really the lowest of low acts. Mitchell handled it well, if he was as rude as everyone is making out I believe he would have shown this whilst being openly criticised on some unfair alleged theory, but instead he took it quietly even though you could see how humiliated he was. I really feel for him & hope this doesnt dicourage him. Real Christians dont judge peoples past or present issues, they try to encourage them in the very best way possible & Guy certainly didnt do this. Shame on you Guy for starting this , you have really disapointed me with this open show of your true character, a very unAustralian act.

23 Ben { 10.04.11 at 2:13 pm }

Guy was really disgusting doing that, I can see it was intentional in front of the cameras to drum up bad publicity for him. He is certainly not guaranteed in the bottom, his attitude is different from Amanda from last year. There was no out cry with Kyle saying Amanda was rude, because well people kind of felt that and, it is pretty much something Kyle would do.

It is absolutely disgraceful how people are treating Mitchell with 0 hard facts to back up these stupid rumors. Get some solid evidence or STFU up about it

24 joan { 10.04.11 at 2:48 pm }

Mitchell is a tool, good call out Guy, I am glad they are not sweeping things under the rug like last year.

25 JJ { 10.04.11 at 3:41 pm }

Seems like a big publicity stunt by the x-factor machine. Wont be suprised to see this end up on Today Tonight in the coming days.

Thats said bit sad its at the expense of a contestant – but dare say he will be come more famous out of this then alot of the other people on the show, especially if it turns out Guy is just blowing smoke.

26 brain dead dave { 10.04.11 at 4:02 pm }

I said he was an ar$ehole before any of this happened. I’m going to audition for The One.

27 Kate { 10.04.11 at 4:27 pm }

Brain Dead Dave… Good luck!

Haha, love the ‘christian’ comments by Shaz. I thought Christians were by nature the Most judgemental… Must be just the ones I know.

28 Culinary Boner { 10.04.11 at 5:07 pm }

Rock?? My arse!

Fortunately the forewarning of lameness came in the opening bars and I was able to find better uses for my time – tweezering me nasal hairs and contemplating anal bleaching . Fortunately the ensuing nose bleed meant cancellation of the latter.

The band on RocKwiz rock out way better than the shithouse band on this show. And I still reckon Julia Zemiro’s hotter than the botoxed bimbos fronting this nonsense.

29 Kathy A { 10.04.11 at 5:19 pm }

The Mitchell episode has actually gone International – I have been following the series online from the UK – there are quite a few of us watching

Have never seen anything so un-comfortable ever….

Should have been managed back-stage – if Mitchell is a bully to the youngsters and being rude to back stage crew – get rid of him – make him disappear dont keep him around and put him through public humiliation. Totally uncalled for.

30 Renocrazy { 10.04.11 at 6:07 pm }

CB You are showing your age… what covers for rock now is more like the stuff they sell at Blackpool and other British beaches, sickly sweet, sticky, full of artificial flavours and rots your teeth. (No offense to you youngsters)

31 brain dead dave { 10.04.11 at 6:12 pm }

Mitchell gave an arresting performance. Now he knows what it’s like to be robbed.

Time to cull away the Calloway,judges and don’t give him a get out of jail free card. Will he sing for his life tonight or go for an adjournment?

32 stuart { 10.04.11 at 7:29 pm }

This xfactor is appauling ….i believe that the judges are there for themself not like last year ….they sing on the show ….havent they had there 5 minutes of fame i thought it was about the contestants. and guy should look at himself how disgusting what he did to mitchell .Guy should have at least done it a MAN TO MAN way….not involving the whole nation …..but disspappointed…..i was a very big fan of the xfactor but have lost a lot of interest this year compared to last year they were not trying to give there self a plug….

33 TV Girl { 10.04.11 at 9:11 pm }

Somehow I don’t think Shine will fly Andrew’s family in each week considering The X Factor is a Fremantle production… unless his kids are amazing cooks and can somehow boost the ailing ratings of Junior Masterchef…