Hamish And Andy Rumoured To Be Big Brother Hosts

Even though Big Brother has not been officially confirmed by Channel Nine, rumours continue to swirl.

The latest one is that Hamish and Andy are going to be hosts of the series. Hamish and Andy are contracted to Channel Nine, and ratings of their show Hamish and Andy –  Gap Year have not been fabulous. However I cannot comment on the show as I have not seen it.

In a Media Weekweek Podcast I did with Andrew Mercado, James Manning and Brendan Wood, Andrew has proven why he is one of Australia’s TV commentators by speculating that Hamish and Andy may be the hosts. The suggestion was met unenthusiastically for two reason. Firstly we all agreed the host should be a woman. They need to have empathy when the latest evictee hits the stage, as well as having a quick wit.

Also Mercado pointed out that Hamish and Andy have a niche with the Gen Y generation with their brand of humour. But maybe that is the audience they are aiming for.

What do you think do you think about them being hosts?

Channel Nine have  a history of stuffing up reality shows, and I am now getting a bit worried about Celebrity Apprentice Australia with news that it will be on weeknights at 7.00pm. If it is 30 minute episodes does this mean the challenge and the boardroom will be on different episodes. The issue is will they be able to maintain the tension?

Shelly Horton a journalist with the Sun Herald who is going to be a judge in one of the challenges, wrote in her column yesterday that the show was going to premiere on Monday 24 October.

1 brain dead dave { 10.10.11 at 12:15 pm }

It’ll be Big Bore if these dull drongoes get the gig.

Hamish and Andy’s Crap Year.

2 Georgie { 10.10.11 at 12:31 pm }

BDD – I’m pleased I’m not the only one who thought H&A were less than ordinary. The trailers looked promising but it’s one of those shows where you keep watching because you think something’s about to happen but it never does.

3 Roseanna { 10.10.11 at 12:48 pm }

Don’t get me wrong, Hamish and Andy are great at what they do.
But their weakest skill is interviewing, they tend to get self-indulgent and like ‘in-jokes’ which was great for radio and what they do so well, but does not work in a show of this nature. BB is not about the host – it’s about what the host can take out of it and ADD to it so there has to be minimal ego and celebrity surrounding them And to top it off, H&A have never had to cope with the pressure of actually steering a live tv show. i don’t think they are strong enough in this area AT ALL. I can’t imagine they’d deal with someone talking in their ear constantly. Side commentary, yes! But too small a roll for them. I think a woman is required. Julia Zemiro would be great, but not necessarily a right fit for reality tv. I’m still hoping Natalie Garonzi does it. She was fantastic on Extra Factor.

4 Culinary Boner { 10.10.11 at 1:00 pm }

Celeb Apprentice at 7pm will thankfully mean they should be obliged by regulation to blank out the nudity.

Raver, did production on this schlock go on holidays? Or have the challenges progressed to be indoors in business suits, rather than wet t-shirt carwash challenges in their Reg Grundies?

5 Chunks { 10.10.11 at 2:31 pm }

Nah it’ll be off the screen again in no time if they give it to Hamish & Andy. Bring back Gretel I say.

6 SED { 10.10.11 at 8:25 pm }

As Australia’s biggest BB fan I was so glad when Andy confirmed he and Hamish will not host it on twitter. @Roseanna I completely agree, I think Hamish and Andy are talented in their own area, and that is in entertainment. BB is about the housemates, and the host getting as much out of them as possible. Natalie Garonzi is fantastic for this, she is so comfortable both to other people and for the camera. But as well she is captivating and very devoted, with an ability to do live television so well. I agree it really should be a woman, the UK recently got Brian Dowling as the host and as entertaining as he is, his ‘co-host’ Emma Willis blows him out of the water. I really hope Nine at least give Natalie a go because she is an amazing host (Im not talking looks-wise only!!) and perfect for BB.

7 Trent { 10.17.11 at 3:33 pm }

SED – you have made my day..
I also agree that Hamish and Andy are humerous in their own way, but definately not suited to host Big Brother.
I also agree that they need an empathetic female host similar to Gretel (although cant we please have Gretel back) !!
My vote for a host is either Natalie Garonzi or Rachel Finch. Both very likeable people