Masterchef Live – Make No Mistake Masterchef Is Still Very Popular

There was a lot of doom and gloom in the media about the Masterchef Australia brand and how disappointing the third series of the franchise was, however after attending Masterchef Live it made me realise how popular the show still is.

Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris were like rock stars to their audience with people lining up to see them on stage and have their books signed by them. Also Anna Gare was impressive with how hard she was working on the day. She told Jill Dupliex that she was asked to cook for the Queen, and how she almost turned it down because she was already booked to make cup cakes on that day.

Anna Gare also turned up at a Junior Workshop with last year winner of Junior Masterchef Isabella, with other little ones from last year, Sofia, Jack, and Pierre, as did Hayden Quinn.

Hayden Quinn was everywhere. Where ever I went he was on stage. Good on him he has realised to increase his fifteen minutes of fame he is going to have to work his patootie off.

I spotted Kate Bracks briefly doing a cooking demonstration, as well as Justine who did a cooking demo with Hayden at the Lilydale Theatre. Justine is now very confident with her public speaking skills.

Junior Masterchef is not rating well last night it was under 900,000. Personally I would like to see it flicked and The Renovators given another go. But that will not happen. This franchise still has another couple of years in it.

Matt Preston spoke to TV Tonight at the Kids Choice awards and he wrote:

Matt Preston has just returned from 2 weeks holiday in Lombok, Indonesia, so he hasn’t seen much of Junior MasterChef yet.

But asked about changes to the main event for next year, he said:

“I‘ve spoken before about things we need to do better. We need to work on the Immunity Challenges and make them better. We need to make sure that our perception of the contestants is the way you see them on screen. I think that’s really important. If we think that they are better cooks than the previous year, you need to see it on the television. So it’s a matter of looking at how the edits go.

“Hopefully it will be re-energised by having a different selection of contestants and that’s always a great joy. So much depends on what the raw material is like. Having Shine looking in different places I think we’ll get some good people.”

Asked about is involvement in casting, he said: “We come in at the Top 100 but the boys come in a bit earlier. They often do a hidden tour you don’t often see on camera.”

1 brain dead dave { 10.10.11 at 1:44 pm }

Groping George is like a rock star -Michael Jackson.

Gary will be on The Circle tomorrow.

2 brain dead dave { 10.10.11 at 2:25 pm }

Those looking for Xmas presents – I’m told Ma$terchef cookbooks can be snaffled up at Aldi’s in Sydney(Parramatta) for $7-8 ,marked down from $30.

3 Reality Raver { 10.10.11 at 3:13 pm }

Which reminds me Julie Goodwin’s new cookbook can be bought at Big W for $23.95. thanks BDD. Also why are there no Masterchef cookbooks in my local Aldi. Not fair.

4 davsimp { 10.10.11 at 3:18 pm }

This series of Junior masterchef is yet to be aired (if at all) in regional WA. Last year’s was on at the same time as the perth screenings but instead this year we have the series return of the Big Bang theory. I’d grab a masterchef cookbook for 7 or 8 bucks but no Aldi’s here I am afraid. Or Big W for that matter.

5 Moonstruck { 10.10.11 at 7:00 pm }

Who is producing the junior masterchef?

6 Reality Raver { 10.10.11 at 8:48 pm }

Moonstruck – Shine Australia

7 Melly { 10.10.11 at 8:53 pm }

I love that the Judges are saying “Yeah there are things wrong with the show and we hope to fix them” instead of the usual BS we hear from other TV shows.

8 Moo { 10.10.11 at 11:11 pm }

Melly, the judges may acknowledge that there are problems with Masterchef, but that doesn’t mean the producers are going to fix them.

I remember when Gary and Matt were telling various magazines how they wanted X to be fixed and Y to be changed before the start of Season 3, and look what happened… Season 3 was even worse than Season 2!

And now that Shine has taken the reins, I seriously doubt things will improve after seeing what they’ve done to The Renovators.

9 Moonstruck { 10.11.11 at 12:22 am }

Thanks RR. Were they always the producers? I thought they taking over from Fremantle. But in another thread it was said that Shine came with the idea for Renovators at a BBQ and they were trying to replicate the success of Masterchef with the the inference that Shine also came up with with Masterchef.
I am not surprised Junior Masterchef is not rating. The kids are too good and I personally hated the idea that eight year olds were in a commercial kitchen under the pressure of cooking for restaurant critics. Cooking should be enjoyable and I thought we were in the 21st century not back in the 18th century. This is exploitation of children.

10 Culinary Boner { 10.11.11 at 1:37 pm }

Good point Moonstruck…
Master Chimney Sweep anyone?

11 Melly { 10.11.11 at 9:12 pm }

Well, I never said they would get fixed. I said it was nice the judges acknowledged there are problems, because a lot of shows like to pretend everything is fine and then 2 weeks later they are cancelled.

I know the producers probably won’t fix the mistakes especially after the clusterf**k that season 3 ended up being.