Live Blog: The Renovators Finale

Who will prevail? Will Baz cry? Will Peter’s arm be fixed? Will Robyn be there cheering on Lukey?

I will sitting down in about 10 minutes to watch until then talk amongst yourselves but what is happening on The Renovators Finale.

Oh my God it has hit the height of lame it has a game show feel, and they are pretending it is live two weeks after the event.

Love the way the real estate agent only said we can expect three of the houses to sell. Not wanting The Block issue happening.

Melissa said if she won she would be able to renovate fulltime. Is she carrying a Louis Vuitton?

WEatherboard profit point is $573,855.

And the weather board sold for $575,000. Mel said she was disappointed and thinks they got a bargain. So she made a profit of $1,145.

At this stage The Block $100,000 is looking positively generous.

The profit point for the Marrickville shop is $713,676. Interesting that they are not adding in all the extra money they were given throughout the series.

The guy who made the bid for $700,000 must be kicking himself he should have started at $650,000.

And the Marrickville house sold for $700,000 and Christie said “He got a bargain”. No he didn’t the location is crap.

Robyn Holt did a Scott Cam and looked at her shoes and said nothing. Props to Barry Dubois for carrying an uncomfortable moment through.

And we are up to the Inner City Terrace with Luke as key holder. What I would like to know is whether the DA’s were in for the houses before the contestants even got their hands on the properties.

The price profit point for the inner city terrace is $899,268. Brendan says “the Parramatta house sold tonight for…..” then Melissa turns up in the suit she wore yesterday. In fact Brendan is wearing the same clothes I hoped they washed them.

Hilarious all the inner city latte drinkers have all got their faces pixelated. Don’t want to be seen on a reality show.

And it is sold for $925,000. Profit of $25,732 which give him a profit point of 2.86%. He is currently in the lead.

Brendan now pimping that the winner will be Australia’s best renovator not about all the money they could potentially win.

And the half done house is up, with Peter with the keyholders. Sweet his parents are there. Melissa thought it would suit a gay couple because it is immaculate. Let’s not stereotype.

The profit point is $802,083.

Lisa is looking very chic.

Robyn was the voice of reason when she said “we need another bidder”. the bidding stalled at $710,000. There was  a vendor’s bid at $750,000. the house eventually sold for $770,000.

Now we have the sixties suburban with Natalia holding the keys. This is one of my favourite houses.

Poor Nathan.

Either nothing is happening in Castle Hill or there are genuine buyers out there. Profit point is $758,194. There was a lot of action but only sold for $730,000. Great house it is definitely my favourite in layout and style.

All of the contestants are at the fibro house and they look cold. Brendan gives Michael the bad news that currently the profit pool is only $26,000.

The profit point is $371,988.

The Fibro shack sold for $440,000 to a very nice young lad. So Michael won. His prize pool was $94,889. Brendan told him they were going to round it up to $100,000.

They must have had a fair idea Michael was going to win at the Fibro and that is why the house was put up last.

1 gilbo { 10.12.11 at 9:13 pm }

Yeah Lisa’s. It’s shorter than the odds of Black Caviar winning next race.

2 JandB { 10.12.11 at 9:14 pm }

Wow Allie is at the Fibro- didn’t expect that

3 Reality Raver { 10.12.11 at 9:18 pm }

Renocrazy – No I didn’t spot her at half done. Did anyone see her at the sixties suburban?

4 jimmy { 10.12.11 at 9:19 pm }

Maybe if mikey wins, he can get someone to tend his hair

5 Emma { 10.12.11 at 9:20 pm }

Nathan seemed shattered :(

6 jimbo { 10.12.11 at 9:21 pm }

Love Michael’s better halfs tan. Don’t know where the skin stops and the dress begins.

7 Emma { 10.12.11 at 9:22 pm }

jimmy: nooooooooooooooooooo!

8 Buzz { 10.12.11 at 9:23 pm }

RR – the Hills were white-bread when I grew up there in the 70’s (lots of Anglo-Celtic Catholics) It’s very much a go-to area for educated, middle-income migrants nowadays.
I’ve been having a drink every time someone says ‘tonight’ but are pretending because we all know they happened over 3 nights. Feeling quite tipsy :/

9 Diogenes { 10.12.11 at 9:27 pm }

Also grew up in the Hills. I have a friend teaches at Castle Hill & says he is pleased at he change in demographic – makes his life easier

10 JandB { 10.12.11 at 9:27 pm }

Yeah I really felt for Nathan after the 60’s suburban crashed and burned. Natalia- meh. I feel sorry for her baby who missed her for however many months so she could have the ‘experience’.

11 Reality Raver { 10.12.11 at 9:28 pm }

Buzz – well a drinking game is one way of enduring the auctions. Interesting that the cultural demographic has changed there. I loved that house.

12 Buzz { 10.12.11 at 9:32 pm }

RR – gnnaaargh
Diogenes – I’m with your friend re the demographic mix these days, it’s a healthy and thriving region.
Slurp (red wine)

13 JandB { 10.12.11 at 9:34 pm }

Michael for gods sake bring Jarrad forward and THANK HIM

14 Sonia { 10.12.11 at 9:34 pm }

Very happy. Always liked the underdog. Go the fibro cottage

15 Diogenes { 10.12.11 at 9:35 pm }

Makes me smile thinking back to the 1st eps when they were talikning about their designs and confidently predicting 20-25% increases.

16 Buzz { 10.12.11 at 9:35 pm }

Did he say he’s sharing the prize with jarrod? Why is jarrod up the back?
Well done ‘mikey’ :)

17 Emma { 10.12.11 at 9:35 pm }

I’m pleased with that result! And I was hoping that buyer would get it!

18 jimbo { 10.12.11 at 9:37 pm }

That’s all she wrote. Nice of channel 10th to round it up by such a massive amount.

19 Emma { 10.12.11 at 9:40 pm }

plus all the freedom furniture he can carry

20 Renocrazy { 10.12.11 at 9:52 pm }

Must have taken a lot of careful editing to hide the cheers that one house sold below cost… and the horror of a certain key holder, who ran around asking everyone ‘how could this happen’, and forgot about a certain step. Boom.

That’s what informant said.

My informant also told me Nathan could hardly stop himself from laughing… made not being key-holder seem so unimportant. Surprised someone said he was sad, ‘cos he wasn’t, not one little bit.

Not watching with you, but am drinking with you, so with you in spirit (lol). Have a great night, see you at rehash tomorrow probably, when i get to watch whole show… and don’t forget house hunting Sue and JandB

21 Reality Raver { 10.12.11 at 9:53 pm }

Jand B – good point on him not bringing Jarrad forward.

Emma – I liked the buyer as well.

22 Marty Moose { 10.12.11 at 9:53 pm }

One hell of an aggressive SHUT UP from Brendan to Natalia there.

23 JandB { 10.12.11 at 9:55 pm }

Huh, Renocrazy maybe that was it- Nathan had his head in his hands so it looked like he was devastated but your comment makes me think he was was laughing

24 Georgie { 10.12.11 at 9:56 pm }

To think the fibro cottage was the last house to find a team cause no-one wanted it. Laughing all the way to the bank…

25 Marty Moose { 10.12.11 at 10:03 pm }

Bedrooms of accommodation….does that mean they can cram 25 unsuspecting international students into the property?

26 Georgie { 10.12.11 at 10:04 pm }

When the camera hit the half done house team all together on the couch and dressed to the nines I immediately thought of a bunch of gamblers on a Mississippi paddle steamer. I think it was Kim’s do that invoked the thought.

27 Reality Raver { 10.12.11 at 10:04 pm }

Renocrazy – Suzanne looked like she smirked at the sixties suburban auction.

28 Marty Moose { 10.12.11 at 10:05 pm }

“I haven’t seen deals like this in years” says the Aussie Home Loans ad….neither had the agents who sold the properties initially (they friggin paid how much?!) or those who had to sell them (they friggin paid how much?!)

29 sue { 10.12.11 at 10:11 pm }

renocrazy- still waiting to watch show (recording it) as the “child” is hogging it for her stupid recorded show- friggin kardashian’s wedding…vomit..

anyhow- glad Michael won, hope he gives something to Jarrod, looking forward to house hunting :), and waiting to watch the show so I know what happens at the end, that makes it clear there won’t be another season???? bloody sister dropped hints but won’t tell me…grrr (I need a new family I think, lol)

30 Marty Moose { 10.12.11 at 10:11 pm }

lol@Georgie, with Bob dressed all in black, I can see the sign in that Western movies font “Moustache Rides 5 Cents”

31 Re { 10.12.11 at 10:28 pm }

so what was the name of mickey’s girlfriend – she is a familiar face in adelaide!

32 brain dead dave { 10.12.11 at 10:36 pm }

Most times,when the bidding started the sound of crickets was deafening -hilarious.

Yes,RR daylight saving here now. iwas waing for the loss on the other properties to be deducted from Michael’s winnings. finally after a few runners up someone from Adelaide has got the chocolates.

Robyn was showing a lot of leg tonight,too.

33 Georgie { 10.12.11 at 10:36 pm }

Marty Moose – I think maybe Peter’s OTT styling in the background might have had some influence too. I like your sign. Another sign in western font – ‘Pete’s Gamble Turns a Poor Profit.

34 Heléna { 10.12.11 at 10:46 pm }

I cant believe Baz didn’t cry!

35 Georgie { 10.12.11 at 10:50 pm }

Wonder who did Mel’s makeup? She looked like she’d been done over with brown boot polish.
Wasn’t Nalalia seriously miffed!

36 CAM { 10.12.11 at 10:55 pm }

J&B yes!! Yes!!! I couldn’t believe that Michael completely forgot Jarrad…bloody Kelly and Allie were all over him, Jarrad didn’t even get a look in. I was screaming at the TV for Michael to bring Jarrad to the front and embrace him, thank him, SOMETHING!!! If I was Jarrad I would have been gutted languishing up the back like that. Poor form by Michael who I have generally loved throughout the comp…I am hoping he was overwhelmed. I feel so bad for Jarrad!!

I thought Suzanne’s dress was indecent same with Christie’s…hello ladies, national TV and your boobs are out there. Hubby (who admits to being a boob man) was loving it but I bet they will be kicking themselves when they watch it back and see how “exposed” they were…unless Suzanne was gunning for an FHM gig or something.

I was disappointed by the lame profit margins but not surprised. They said ‘tough market’ almost as much as they said ‘tonight’. Lame with the fake “all happened in one night” deal / this is live TV deal…if that was the case what time was the fibro cottage supposed to have gone under the hammer? 1am???

37 Jen- Why { 10.12.11 at 11:08 pm }

Good point about Jarrod- all the other teams got good airtime & why the heck was Ali up front & centre in all the shots of Michael- it should have been Jarrod & his girlfriend next to him, not the chick who had a hussy fit & dumped the navy team in the crap heap early on… But there she was, right behind him til the very last shot- some people have no shame!

38 Moonstruck { 10.12.11 at 11:19 pm }

Exactly Cam. All in one night and they had time to go from one house to the next, especially Luke. Just like Masterchef. Final/finale filmed in one day!!
Happy Peter and Natalia made a loss. I didn’t see Peter at the fibro cottage.
The fibro cottage would not have made as big a profit if it hadn’t won the pool and the furniture.
In fact as has been said in other threads, none of them made a profit.

39 Emma { 10.12.11 at 11:21 pm }

Sadly on facebook many people seemed to think it was live.
Ok, I’m not sure, but it looks like the weatherboard is up for sale again? http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-parramatta-107820796

40 Renocrazy { 10.12.11 at 11:28 pm }

Kim was pretty good, considering off camera she was apparently cheering at loss and had a hard time keeping face straight for shoot, as well as pulling faces behind Peter’s back.. Thought she looked very good for age.

Hated that Jarrad was pushed aside but that might have been his choice, Christie and Cathy were very quiet, very controlled. Jason and Sam actually looked happy for Luke, both had big grins and both dressed up well. Seemed to be no hard feeling there.

Peter looked very upset but not surprised he was (so was Lisa), apparently he was telling everyone that would listen what a great house he’d created, and how much it had cost him personally. I’m assuming he meant in lost time and earnings, surely he wouldn’t have put his own money into it? No-one would be that dumb, or need to win that badly. And everyone lost earnings and time.

Strangely I thought Keenan didn’t look a bit surprised, I wonder if that was why he let Mel win?

For the tiny prize at end everyone lost out, even Michael. All that heartbreaking work for next to nothing. Made me feel quite sad… or is that the drink talking?

Several times Brendan looked like he was going to throw a fit… red faced and desperately trying to talk results up… what a dick! Loved that it went from tough market, to really tough market, to very tough market, then ended up as incredibly tough market.

Peter Ho looked amused, but then he had warned Peter about that damn step, hadn’t he? Robyn looked aghast, either good actress or no idea of house prices in those areas at all… you’d think they’d have researched first..

Incidentally furniture was not factored into budget when awarded as prizes, otherwise factored in even in challenges that took place in house… said so in one episode. Didn’t factor in any prizes either. Or commissions.

So glad that buyer at Fibro won, he looked so lost and scared but hung in there.

41 Moonstruck { 10.12.11 at 11:29 pm }

Emma, maybe it’s a leftover from the original auction.
Interesting selling points whether from before or if being resold.

* 7 YEARS HOME OWNER WARRANTY ON ALL WORKS

“YOU MUST INSPECT & THEY MUST SELL IT”

42 Fibros- the ugly duckling of the unimaginative { 10.12.11 at 11:36 pm }

I am v pleased Michael/ jarrod won. The fibro was my fav house as soon as the trailers started. How many inner-city house makeovers do we have to watch. So ’90-00’s. Perhaps getting older and bit over the inner city thing (insert your capital city here), madmen parties (it was in around 2002, so mainstream is a few years late), and the whole eurovision thing (yep we’d hold dress-up parties w the host catering to the host country in the mid 90s while at Uni). So everything including chandeliers, black & white bedrooms, feature wall papers is passé. If it makes it to freedom/ ikea then you’r sure to find it in every 2nd house.

So fibro house, especially under the leadership Of those 2 lads was going to be a winner. Even w the freedom furniture 😉

The way I see it Michael won 100k, the house would’ve cost an extra 50k if u added the real cost of labor/opp cost for M & J not working those 3 months, and the buyer got a free 40k pool. Win win result.

43 robbo { 10.13.11 at 12:49 am }

RR

The houses were sold on the one night in the same order that they were actually sold over three days. Fibro was actually sold last and it is probable that the order was organised by the producers based on expected prices so that each succeeding house got a higher profit percentage.

I was not surprised that they did not factor in the losses from three houses into the prize pool as it would have then looked downright miserable. The rounding up of the prize pool to a six figure amount cost them very little and looks so much better when trumpeting results.

What I am really disappointed with is that they used budget costs in the final washup rather than actual costs. It is totally unreasonable to expect that all six houses spent exactly their budget to the dollar on renovations. It would have been far more believable if we learned that Melissa was over budget by $2000 and Michael still had $14 left in his budget. Still I guess it allowed Ch10 to paper over some more cracks in their production. What do we expect from Unreality TV?

Certainly we got some wooden acting from the cast. It was obvious Brendan knew about the vendor bid. Some of the bids looked pretty phony to me. Interesting that the Weatherboard is now back on the market again.

Looking forward to seeing contestants blogs re their experiences now that the show is over. I hope the gag order on them is now lifted.

44 HR { 10.13.11 at 6:57 pm }

Ditto to CAM’s comments…
really wanted Jarrod in front…I guess Michael was just too shocked…but still it is something u wud think before (i.e “if I win, I want this guy with me”)…

& Christie outfit was not all that surprising- I guess she thought she’d show some extra cleavage to match her previous butt crack shot 😛

45 Renocrazy { 10.14.11 at 1:41 pm }

Finally got to watch properly… what a let down!!

Robbo, gag order is probably for 12 months… have to be to save face.

Yes, glad Michael won but why in hell did they let other properties go so cheap, didn’t they know you could negotiate after auction for better prices, especially inner city terrace and weatherboard, reckon could have at least got 30K and 10K more respectively with a bit of patience. Now that inner city buyer really did get a bargain.

Understand half done house, that had to be sold before faults became too obvious. Home owner warranty will not cover everything, and things like step downs in dining/lounge) then no warranty at all… like the placement of bath in main bathroom it’s a design fault not a building fault. Replacing wallpaper (peeling already) and other similar items also not under warranty.

Rest of houses still think with more time on market they could have reached better prices. Such a shame contestants suffered because of rushed, panic sale. Also probably put death knoll on any chance of resurrection… unless the Murdoch’s give up control.

46 Renocrazy { 10.14.11 at 2:52 pm }

Found following on google.. from Herald Sun today.

UPDATE 10.16am: CHANNEL 10 will renovate The Renovators after the series finale topped the ratings last night.

Ten says it is committed to a second series of the big budget reality show – but there will be changes.

Last night’s ratings triumph has given a much-needed boost to those second series plans.

“We will obviously be reviewing the components that did and didn’t work,” a Ten spokesperson said.

Suggestions to improve The Renovators include getting couples as contestants – something that has worked for The Block and The Biggest Loser.

Last night The Renovators – Winner Announced nailed 1.264 million viewers to beat Seven’s Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour (601,000) and Nine’s CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (586,000).

continues in following link;

47 sue { 10.14.11 at 3:06 pm }

Yay for latest news re 2nd season. Just fix the inconsistencies and it will be great- better than the Block I think :) :)