The X Factor – Interview With Audio Vixen

This morning I was lucky enough to get an interview with Audio Vixen who were eliminated from The X Factor. We discuss Mel B’s faux pas, their marketability, and what band of two sisters and a brother want to do next.

When Mel B said she was not going take it to deadlock did you think this meant you were safe?

I don’t think we quite registered, as it is quite a loud room. Once she started talking about a marketable artist I think we felt we knew where her vote was going.

Speaking of that. On the forums and this blog people are angry that someone who was marketable was voted for over a group that had strong voices. How do you feel about that?

I think Johnny has been marketable from the very beginning; it took us a little while to come into that side of things. I think it is a shame we left before we had the opportunity to show that we could be marketable. That is what the competition is about and he just had the edge over us in that sense.

One of the criticisms that was aimed at you was your lack of marketability and that you were pub or wedding singers. Week after week the songs you sang were older, was it frustrating to you that you were not singing more contemporary songs to show you could connect with a more modern audience?

It has always been something we have discussed from the very beginning of the competition. The thing is if we are going to take a risk it was either do a modern song that wasn’t us or take a risk by doing an old song which we knew we could nail and get through. So we thought doing that was probably a better risk then doing something that wasn’t us.

What do you see next for yourselves?

We want to keep rolling. We would love to jump into record a new album. Also would like to support some Australian and International acts like Jet, Bon Jovi or Angus and Julia Stone we would also like to do events like Splendour In The Dark and Carols In The Domain. We would like to keep ourselves involved. We have a taste of it and we sure don’t want to let it go.

So do you have originals as well or do you mainly do covers?

We write quite heavily, we are really eager to go into a studio and put an album down ASAP.

Do you have anything on iTunes or YouTube at the moment?

We did have stuff on YouTube, however we took it down for the duration of the show – contract wise. We did have an EP out. It is a few years old and we have changed a bit style wise since we put the EP out.

I think whatever we release now will be a little bit different. (I did find some songs of theres on MySpace)

Who do you see as your audience?

I think our target demographic is 18 or over.

Would any of you go solo and apply to go on The Voice?

We do see ourselves staying together as a group. We think as individuals we just might be considered just another singer. With a group there is something a little bit different to us.

Not including The X Factor what other reality show would you go on or would like to go on?

My Kitchen Rules or Amazing Race.

1 Culinary Boner { 10.12.11 at 1:39 pm }

“I think our target demographic is 18 or over.”

If you are going to go that broad, why not say “anyone with a pulse who doesn’t squeal when the see a male singer in tight pants hiding a cucumber”?

Oh. Unless of course they’re going into Parental Advisory harmonies, which would warrant an 18+ rating.
Are they planning a Kevin Bloody Wilson K-Tel retrospective?
How’s their strine?

2 brain dead dave { 10.12.11 at 2:29 pm }

Is that anyone with an IQ over 18?

Good riddance, Audio Toxin.

3 Lu { 10.12.11 at 4:28 pm }

Wow some people must really struggle to get through the day with a smile they did there best on the show and are still learing about the biz I think they answeared the questions quite well I mean it’s reality t.v what did you expect for answears? what made you so angry?

4 dmc { 10.12.11 at 8:50 pm }

They had one of the worst names I have ever seen. ‘Vixen’?

5 G { 10.14.11 at 3:46 pm }

Culinary Boner and brain dead dave sound likeboth of you an IQ of -1000 (definiately by your nickname). I have read most of your comments from your foul mouths about the X factor and the majority are just digusting. You two sound like bullies that have nothing else to do but be nasty.I am shocked that haven’t been reported for abuse. If don’t have nothing nice to say, then shut the hell up!

6 brain dead dave { 10.14.11 at 4:11 pm }

“Defianately”?

7 Culinary Boner { 10.14.11 at 4:29 pm }

Yeah, G (whiz) I’ve definiately got an IQ of zero degrees Kelvin. That’s at least 726 degrees higher than your -1000 guestimate, but perhaps not hot enough to make a cup of tea. I’d be more than happy to hear what nice things you have to say about the X-factor. Over to you.

8 Georgie { 10.14.11 at 4:29 pm }

BDD & CB – IQ of 1000, well done and congratulations to both of you.

9 Culinary Boner { 10.14.11 at 4:57 pm }

Georgie I think Mr/Ms G was proposing a minus 1000 IQ and was *shock* trying to insult me and bdd whilst most ironically demanding everyone be nice.

Still waiting for the avalanche of niceness to descend on this site.

10 Izobel2 { 10.14.11 at 5:57 pm }

I think if Boner & BDD (Mr 53yo SA legend) gave up this site I’d cry :)

11 brain dead dave { 10.14.11 at 6:03 pm }

I’m 54 now and getting pa$$ionate about auditioning for X factor next year with an “awesome” rendition of Hallelujah. I’ll try to shag Nat Bass.

If my parents were alive ,they’d be so proud.

12 Georgie { 10.14.11 at 6:28 pm }

Dash those minuses – missed it completely. I thought G was just an intellectual lightweight – grammar certainly indicates that. BDD should give G the old Uncle Jack lesson me thinks.

13 Georgie { 10.14.11 at 7:43 pm }

Izobel2 I’m with you – their humor and irreverence is the highlight of the discussions. Anyone who takes it too seriously needs to ‘get a sense of humour’.

14 Izobel2 { 10.14.11 at 8:23 pm }

Exactly Georgie. The real world is too boring, that’s why I’m a Reality Raver Junkie!

15 Reality Raver { 10.14.11 at 8:32 pm }

BDD – I must confess to I did laugh at Audio Toxin.

Izobel2 – I am glad you are a reality Raver junkie.