What Do You Do When You Meet Someone Who You Have Slagged Off?

Long time readers of this blog know that I do like a bit of snark, but when I started I was probably a bit more caustic.

Earlier in the week I launched Reality Ravings Consulting (read about it here) and it generated a fair bit of publicity. A Current Affair wanted to do a story and the producer who rang me after a quick chat said “Oh I was on So You Think You Can Dance and you criticised my dress”. Oops.

Anyway props to her she doesn’t hold grudges so did not bitch slap me. Anyhow I searched through my blog and read what I had written, she was like my Season 1 whipping person, well after Matt Lee, on SYTYCD….

So big apologies Stephanie. And for the record she is much hotter and together then I ever was in my early twenties.

Anyway here is a link to the interview on A Current Affair. Props to the delightful Marion Grasby for backing in my consultancy.  Next time I am at Woolworths I will buy Ms Marion’s thai goods as a thank you.

Polly from The Block and now Celebrity Apprentice I think misunderstood what it is all about. It is not about faking it but ensuring people are presented in the best possible light. As I have said people pay professionals to write their CV’s to ensure theirs stands out and they get an interview for a job. I see my service as being similar to that.

1 Genuine Question { 10.19.11 at 11:22 pm }

Can you explain what your qualifications are for running a service like this? Are you a producer? Do you work in the television industry? Are you a casting agent? Do you know any or work closely with anyone who is? Or do you just watch a lot of TV? I don’t mean to be rude, but I don’t see how writing a (often inaccurate) blog translates to being an ‘expert’ in a field you’ve never worked in. I watch House. Doesn’t make me a doctor.

2 Anonymous { 10.19.11 at 11:25 pm }

I find it ironic that you analyze reality tv shows and slag off a lot of the contestants, yet you do not take into account the way most of these shows are edited. The fact that you sit and watch hours of tv everyday, you out of all people should understand that these shows are not showing a persons true colours. I find your blogs amusing, good luck if you can walk through a supermarket without being punched in the face.

3 Reality Raver { 10.20.11 at 12:01 am }

Anonymous – The issue of editing comes up frequently in discussions and what I am commenting on is what is going on screen. The blog would be a bit dull, in my opinion, analysing everything like that. Here is an article I wrote about editing of shows in relation to Masterchef http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/dont-blame-the-armchair-critics-for-masterchef-attacks/.
Lucky for me no reality stars go to my local supermarket. Yes I am snarky but part of the fun of reality TV is to have a bit of fun with it. It is a great genre with entertaining shows, and I like and dislike different reality TV stars, admittedly from what I see onscreen. I get sucked into the storylines and the backgrounds of the contestants.

Genuine Question – Sure I don’t get it right all the time and can make some wild speculations. However a Masterchef contestant told me “I get it right a lot of the time” Maybe I need to put that on my CV.

I am not affiliated with any production house, network or casting agent. I am there to help a person craft an application to make it stand out from the 1000’s that get sent in. Yes I watch a lot of reality TV, I also read a lot about the subject. For the past fifteen years I have worked in an industry where I have to write a lot and in different styles. The idea came about to start this business when I realised no one else in Australia was providing a service like this and people had been contacting me over the years seeking advice. It is not about having to work in the industry as an agent, I will not be representing them to casting directors.
Some people don’t have the writing skills or time to give their application the time it deserves.

4 brain dead dave { 10.20.11 at 12:58 am }

“I watch House. Doesn’t make me a doctor.”

More’s the pity. Sounds like you could use one.

5 Georgie { 10.20.11 at 7:15 am }

Guess what? House isn’t a doctor either.

6 Lolalee { 10.20.11 at 9:25 am }

Good luck to you! You have a real insight into how the whole “process” works – I’d use you over others if I ever wanted to apply for a show – you’re honest, up front & cut thru the BS :)

7 Mrs T { 10.20.11 at 10:10 am }

To: Genuine Question and Anonymous, you don’t read this blog often do you?

8 Georgie { 10.20.11 at 10:48 am }

I haven’t been contributing here for very long however I hadn’t noticed RR’s blogs being particularly offensive to anyone, they generally just throw something open for discussion.
The contributors on the other hand can be very offensive but there’s not much RR can do about that.
My perception of reality TV is that the contestants are supposed to be ‘real’, either because they’re being themselves or because the producers want them portrayed in a certain way.
I thought the whole idea of reality TV was to get viewers involved for income generating purposes and unless you’re a zombie, chances are you’re going to have an opinion and the next step is to articulate that. The best place to do that is in a forum of like-minded viewers who enjoy the banter.
Just like in ‘real life’, you have contestants you like and contestants who annoy you. Unlike ‘real life’ you can’t avoid the annoying ones, they’re in your face until they get zapped.
If you put your hand up to be on a reality TV show you need to understand the implications of what you’re doing.

9 Pamie { 10.20.11 at 11:03 am }

RR, saw you last night on TV and thought you looked and sounded great. Good luck with the new enterprise.

10 Kate { 10.20.11 at 2:54 pm }

LMAO, Anyone with a name like Anonymous does not deserve an opinion.
Good luck RR! Love your blog :-)

11 HungryHippo { 10.20.11 at 7:04 pm }

I agree Georgie!!
BDD & Mrs T : )))

12 seepi { 10.20.11 at 10:07 pm }

Oooh – but what will you do if any of your protegees get on telly – will you have to be nice about them – or disclose conflict of interest??

I hoep it goes well for you – but keep up the blog too!

13 JaniceG { 10.20.11 at 11:40 pm }

A similar situation happened to me once: I went back to my hometown in Florida for a visit from California (the other side of the US) and went to an alumni gathering at a sports bar to watch my alma mater play in a high-profile college football bowl game. A woman from a local TV station interviewed me as the person who had come from the furthest away and asked about the difference between when I was in school and that year’s game. I mentioned that it was very different as when I was in school we were playing in bottom-of-the-barrel bowl games like the Sun Bowl in El Paso, TX. She looked at me and said “I’m from El Paso.” Big oops…

Best of luck with your new venture!

14 bella vita { 10.21.11 at 6:04 am }

To the first 2 posters too gutless to probably put a real email address in their posts.

RR doesn’t claim to be an expert…HOWEVER i find the idea of the average person who’s passion is to follow what they love refreshing. Why shouldn’t she start her own business? She has spent far too many hours writing a blog for our enjoyment with never even a “donate” to paypal button.

I am in a completely different field…but left my safe job many years ago to follow my dreams and it’s paid off in many ways. You always have knock backs and jealous people (I’m guessing you are either a wannabe TV person or working at Safeway?)

Casting Consultants these days are in a very similar position to RR…and they usually only consult to 1 or 2 production companies on their books, and if RR can get herself some publicity and do her own thing specialising in reality TV ( a lot of them are general across the board), well kudos to her.
And every casting consultant friend I have, are burnt out…suffering from seeing the same mediocre talent come through and rubbish applications.

Every industry needs new blood with people that are passionate about it…

15 brain dead dave { 10.21.11 at 2:25 pm }

That’s funny, JaniceG and immediately reminds me of Kinky Friedman’s great song;

“Asshole from El Paso”

16 davsimp { 10.21.11 at 7:15 pm }

Just be careful RR. The next lot of masterchef applicants might expect you to teach them to cook as well as do their application for them.

17 daisy { 12.14.12 at 6:10 pm }

We have moved from being free to voice our likes, hates, frustrations and dislike of fictional TV characters, to semi-real reality TV characters.

18 daisy { 12.14.12 at 6:12 pm }

It might be a bit like the participation in pantomime where the audience gets to boo the villain everytime he/she steps in view.

19 Georgie { 12.14.12 at 6:47 pm }

The audience is now in the living room booing daisy and after the show they get onto the blog and do some more booing.

20 daisy { 12.14.12 at 9:22 pm }

It’s quite liberating.

21 daisy { 12.14.12 at 9:31 pm }

Georgie, even with the booing, you seem nice and kind. I’ll put that in my drawing.