Beauty And The Geek – Gilbert and Jimmy Should Have Been More Gutsy

Well I have lost all sympathy for Jimmy and Gilbert they had the opportunity to flick their beauties, Mackenzie and Maddy, and they did not.

The geeks got to have dates with other geeks, and then they were given the opportunity to swap their beauties for the geeks. Not one of them did. So beauty is indeed more prized by guys than brains.

Gilbert and Maddy do not get on and Gilbert whose facial expression is usually deadpan was extremely animated throughout his date. It was disappointing to see he stuck with Maddy.

The same as Jimmy. Mackenzie is now Troy’s girlfriend so Jimmy should have gone with geek girl Alana. Some of the girls were quite attractive, twitter was wildly speculating that the geeks were not real.

Now the other talking point of the episode was Lachlan and Helen’s make overs. They turned Lachlan orange, plucked and dyed his eyebrows. Jordan thought he looked hot, but was it really an improvement?

Helen’s hair was fabulous and she looked great, the clothes were frumpy, fifties style.

Lachlan and Helen won the make overs because they were the top two teams in the photography challenge. All couples had to pose together and the winner would win their picture on the flip cover of Famous magazine.

This challenge gave a lot of opportunities for set up scenes, something which is very obvious in Beauty and The Geek. First Sarah and Lachlan dressed as Adam and Eve, and low and behold a snake was procured which was Sarah’s biggest fear.

Also the scene where Bendeguz revealed he had smaller shorts on under another pair it seemed not very spontaneous.

Sarah and Lachlan won, however I thought Julian and Jordan’s photo was much better. Which photo did you like the best?

1 Anonymous { 10.21.11 at 12:01 am }

Oh yay, you did a recap! To be honest, jordan and julian’s photo i think was the best, she is a model an a cheerleader which helped her with posing and acrobatics, but im biased (is that how you spell it) because they tie for my fave couple, lachlan and sarah being the other couple. If you look at lachlans picture on the website of Batga, you will see that he looked a lot better beore the show, he now looks to orange, to be honest i didnt think jordan liked it that much, she still got super jealous when lachlan was on his date though, understandably…

2 Anonymous { 10.21.11 at 12:01 am }

Oh yay, you did a recap! To be honest, jordan and julian’s photo i think was the best, she is a model an a cheerleader which helped her with posing and acrobatics, but im biased (is that how you spell it) because they tie for my fave couple, lachlan and sarah being the other couple. If you look at lachlans picture on the website of Batga, you will see that he looked a lot better before the show, he now looks to orange, to be honest i didnt think jordan liked it that much, she still got super jealous when lachlan was on his date though, understandably…

3 some random { 10.21.11 at 12:03 am }

Why on earth did my phone post that message twice?

4 Georgie { 10.21.11 at 12:27 am }

I liked Julian and Jordan’s photo the best too. Jordan is a beautiful girl, reminds me of Uma Thurman.
I think Jimmy would have hit it off with his geek date and seemed very tempted but I guess at the end of the day the teams need a bit of beauty in the mix to do well in the challenges.
Poor Gilbert, Maddy seems to have a real attitude problem with him.
I think Helen’s outfit was Rockabilly fashion but the skirt was wrong for her figure.
Hated the fake tan all over Lachlan’s face – when they cut his hair the #1 on the sides showed his fair skin, making the tan look more pronounced and more false.

5 trishfish { 10.21.11 at 6:54 am }

I agree jimmy and gilbert should have done exactly what they wanted, were they scared? as for mackenzie and troy becoming boyfriend and girlfriend i think they are definitely more now. As RR posted before… they are engaged, check out mackenzie’s ring finger and “likes” of the comments in her fb fanpage http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=104422409666264&set=a.104421739666331.8589.104394963002342&type=1&theater

6 some random { 10.21.11 at 7:49 am }

The only problem with gilly exchanging his beauty, and its a big problem at that, is dolly. How would she have felt if he did exchange maddy for his geek? She wouldve felt terrible, thinking, does he like her more than me? I definitely think that she was part of gillys decision, dolly found it hard enough watching him on a date with the geek, let alone him sharing a room with her…

7 Dazza { 10.21.11 at 8:08 am }

Maddie is a cow. I would have swapped her in a heartbeat. The way she was talking to him is probably why these geeks never speak to women. She was just bullying him.

8 Jay { 10.21.11 at 8:22 am }

It did seem a little convenient that Lachlan and Sarah won the makeover. Maybe a setup to get Jordan’s reaction as I tend to agree that Julian and Jordon’s was a much better photo. The magazine editor and photographer also felt very scripted. Maybe they need to find some gutsier meaner geeks for the next season rather than the stereotypical wimps (actors) they cast season after season. A golden opportunity was lost when Gilbert and Jimmy clung to their B’s. “Family” really Jimmy – come on.

9 Dazza { 10.21.11 at 9:38 am }

They were probably all actor girl geeks last night too but next series, so an all female B&G

Also why did they makeover Helen to look like a cross between Julia Gillard and Pauline Hanson?

10 Leighbee { 10.21.11 at 9:38 am }

I am fast becoming a massive fan of this show (something I am loath to admit to my friends!). Two things struck me about this episode, the first being the set up for Lachlan and Helen to get the make-overs. They are the two least geeky looking, and I think that by getting them out of the way this week, they have set up next weeks episode to be a cracker. Who is dying to see what Jimmy, Julian and Gilly look like underneath all that hair? Can’t wait myself!
Secondly, there was no way they would trade out the beauties for the geeks – I think this was merely a ploy to demonstrate how fractured some of the relationships are. Had Jimmy or Gilly said yes, it would turn out that it was pretend. Maybe they would have been forced to reshuffle the couples?? Or swap beauties. Either way, cleverly played.
I wanted to slap Mackenzie, the spoilt little brat – she obviously has never been disappointed in life. I agree that Jimmy was right to be thinking of himself ‘for once’. And as for Maddie…poor brow beaten Gilly. She’s such a bully.

11 Sue { 10.21.11 at 9:46 am }

I don’t think the boys chose the beauties because of beauty to be honest. I think it was probably loyalty. Loyalty to the game, and to the way it is meant to be played.

12 Wurstsemmel { 10.21.11 at 10:48 am }

I thought the guy doing the makeover clothes was the geekiest of them all…and creepy to boot. Who was he? Is he someone superhip and I just don’t know it?

13 seepi { 10.21.11 at 10:50 am }

I think it was loyalty too, and not wanting to hurt anyone.

Some of the photos were great – Helen and Troy’s was good too.

I was disappointed that Helen was so keen on her makeover – i thought she was all ‘i don’t care about looks I’m happy in my own skin’ so I was super sad to hear her going all ‘I have no self confidence I hate how i look’.

14 par3182 { 10.21.11 at 11:18 am }

The entire episode seemed scripted; the only thing that rang true was Dolly’s reaction to being swapped out on the whim of the guys. Lachlan and Sarah had one of the worst photos so it was obvious the fix was in for the makeovers (the best looking guy geek and the girl geek winning? Hardly a coincidence).

The swaps never could’ve happened because it would’ve defeated the whole beauty/geek dynamic – how could the challenges work if there were two geeks on one team? So the entire second half of the episode was a complete waste of time.

Plus the “I want you to be my girlfriend” scene was nauseating. How old are those two?

15 Georgie { 10.21.11 at 12:01 pm }

Wurstsemmel I agree – he is a weirdo. His name is Henry Roth and he specialises in wedding attire, which accounts for Lachlan’s look but am not sure what he was aiming for with Helen’s do.

16 brain dead dave { 10.21.11 at 1:52 pm }

First one to get the makeover should have been Henry Roth. The creepy vibes he put out were appallingly disturbing.

Clearly he was aiming for a Gillardian look with Helen as Dazza has pointed out. He got the hair and ar$e perfectly.

Jimmy looks like an insect, little wonder he made a pretty spineless choice.

17 Craig { 10.21.11 at 2:24 pm }

Um, the show is not called Geek & the Geek?!! It would have made no sense whatsoever if any of the geeks had traded their beauties. So i’m not too sure why they even tried that concept. The Show is about breaking down those barriers & stereotypes. Helen & Troy’s photo was the best. The Tan job on Lachlan was terrible, I remember they did the same thing to the blonde buy last season, the hair cut was also terrible & way to short exposing his psorisis on his scalp, not the sort of hair cut you give someone who is suffering from the condition.

18 brain dead dave { 10.21.11 at 2:28 pm }

Psoriasis, I think, Craig. I watch a lot of House.

19 Nytrydr { 10.21.11 at 2:33 pm }

Hate to fly the flag for the Jimmy defence League, but I’m going to. Poor Jimmy (who is terribly good on camera, don’t you think) was in an untennable situation, clearly, the geeks are supposed to be the good guys, and the episode was designed to show this, disingenuously. Jim never had a chance to swap beauties, but there is no tension at all if all the blokes go “nuh, I’m sticking with my girl no matter what because I’m a very decent chap” is there. Someone had to pretend it was an actual hard decision. Assuming for a minute any of them are behaviong in a genuine unscritpted way, Jimbo is screwed. Mackenzie scorned. Should have got together for a pow wow with Helen and kicked the glam couple out, but how much would we hate J&H then?

20 Georgie { 10.21.11 at 2:40 pm }

Nytrydr – ‘terribly good’ = ‘oxymoron’

21 Georgie { 10.21.11 at 3:09 pm }

BDD – lol. Pleased you’re still studying. You must be close to graduating, House has been going for a few years now.

22 Leighbee { 10.21.11 at 4:03 pm }

BDD – you crack me up. :)

23 AJ { 10.22.11 at 11:07 am }

Mackenzie was such a cow to Jimmy. The only reason she wanted to stay in the house so badly was the opportunity to remain Troy’s “girlfriend”.

Maddy has also been pretty harsh to Gilbert. If she had such problems with him during the photo challenge, why didn’t she try to get him to relax and have a little fun with the challenge? Instead it was all about how she was looking in the photos.

The winners also weren’t a surprise. The winners should have been Jordan and Julian who clearly had the best photo. But, they went with the two “easiest” make-overs and as usual made they look like jokes. Does orange skin and a buzz-cut really turn a geek into a beauty. And poor Helen looked a lot older than as a “geek” and her clothes seemed bizarre. Sure, she looked a bit better, but the hair in particular didn’t seem particularly manageable for a girl who confessed that she didn’t like to waste time on her appearance.

24 anon { 10.23.11 at 4:36 am }

the geeks dont prize beauty over brains are you serious?? its called integrity!! they didnt choose new girls because they have been ditched so many times before and they know how it feels. they have the INTEGRITY to continue the show with the original person the were paired with. it had nothing to do with beauty at this point

25 Anonymous { 10.29.11 at 11:02 am }

Of course they didn’t swap their Beauty’s, they would have been up for elimination for sure if they had and it defeats the whole social experiment!