Survivor South Pacific – Iconic, Crazy or Just Plain Stupid?

There have been some iconic otherwise known as crazy moves on Survivor but Ozzy sending himself to Redemption Island is certainly up there. It is in the category when the ice cream scooper handed over his idol to Amanda who then turned around and voted him out.

After seeing Christina win at Redemption Island for the fifth straight time, Ozzy decided he should go there to knock her out just in case when they merge, she might stick with her original tribe.

However Christina sticking with her former tribe is unlikely, considering one of those tribe members was clearly barracking for Mikayla in the challenge.

Also he was going there on the assumption the merge was coming, and also if they merge occurred that the person on Redemption Island was going to be put back into the game. This may not happen.

Personally I think there are too many variables relying on outside forces to make it work. Also Ozzy actually has to beat Christina.

At the immunity challenge Ozzy’s team lost because of Cochrane’s stuff up, and at that time it was decided he should go to “redeem” himself. Cochran just had to sit there and cop it but as he said he wasn’t very happy they were talking about voting him about, but also they were trying to make it a positive kumbaya thing.

Lucky for him Ozzy had a dream that he interpreted that he should go to Redemption Island. He handed over his idol to Cochran and went. It is a ballsy move, and if Ozzy does get back in the game he will have all of his team mates respect, and it could be a game winner for him.

Do you think Ozzy is stupid or brave?

Mikayla was knocked out of Redemption Island here is an exit interview with her at Examiner.

1 Calliegirl { 11.02.11 at 8:12 am }

Thanks for the post RR. Just lurve this show – so many twists and turns. Still recovering from the gross ‘meat eating’ challenge!

2 brandy { 11.02.11 at 8:48 am }

Just plain stupid,with a very short attention span. Every dual at Redemption has involved Christina being surly towards her former tribe. she’d flip in an instant, there’s no need to beat her to get the numbers, and she’s a challenge monster. Plus it’s all based on the assumption the merge is next. Stupid.

3 Wurstsemmel { 11.02.11 at 10:52 am }

Can’t wait to see this decision bite him in the butt!

4 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 11.02.11 at 11:49 am }

Damn it – had a migraine last night and missed what sounds like an absolute RIPPER of a show. Thanks for the recap – now to track down the episode on-line.

Also, just a thought – what if they NEVER merge… there’s a twist!

5 Cheryl { 11.02.11 at 12:15 pm }

@PPMJ – They tried not merging in Guatemala, it failed miserably when one team ended up with just one person (Stephanie) so they ended up having to merge – at which point she was promptly voted out by the other team.

Ozzy has never had much of a social game so of course he wouldn’t have realised that Christine hates her old tribe for voting her out first. He is looking for “redemption” (god I hate that word as applied to Survivor now!) so he thinks that making a seemingly huge strategic move will gain him the respect his social skills haven’t. What will actually happen if he does manage to win the RI challenge(s) and get back into the game is that people will see him as even more of a physical threat and he will be voted out for real.

As for the merge – they learnt from Fiji not to merge after the jury phase starts, they like even numbers at the merge and they usually have 7 jurors for a Final 3 so merging at 10 is pretty much the last minute. Merging at 12 is quite likely so it’s not unreasonable to assume that they are just about to merge.

6 PollyB { 11.02.11 at 12:33 pm }

Nevermind Oz and his delusions, Coach is a complete tosser. I’m not religious, but spiritual, and the ‘i am not worthy Father’ act was so fucking staged. And then he practically drags people to their knees after the winning the challenge, before some even had removed their blindfolds. This line is so condescending to the viewer, however it is the usual US rant of the low brow. He and Hantz make a good pair.
I don’t want Ozzie to win but for some reason Christine shits me more.

7 Chunks { 11.02.11 at 12:36 pm }

Insane. Coach, Ozzy and Brandon, what a lot of fruitloops. Most crazies ever. At this stage I think Coach is playing an incredibly controlled game and is on track to win – but I’ll bet his ego and self-confidence get away with him and he ends up being blindsided.

8 Reality Raver { 11.02.11 at 1:00 pm }

Interesting comments.

After thinking about the Ozzy strategic move more. I think it was a risk he needed to take to solidfy his alliances. It is third time on the show, he wants to win – not just see how far he can get. If he pulls this off his tribemates won’t be game to shaft him for awhile and there will be peer pressure on Cochran to give back the idol.
Will the producers delay the merge one more week just to see what happens? I note in the previews they showed nothing that would give away whether there was a merge or not.
I am starting to like Christine she was underestimated and she is focused and kicking ass. Funny the opposite is happening with Cochran his dweebiness is starting to irritate me. I am liking Jim and Dawn as well.
Coach hopefully will implode but he is such good TV.
Also one thing I have noticed this time around is how emotionally immature Ozzy is.

9 Calliegirl { 11.02.11 at 1:42 pm }

I was disgusted when Coach yelled out “On your knees, on your knees’, after they had won!! I was glad that nobody actually did kneel down, but they still had to suffer a group ‘prayer’. Coach is just so offensive, manipulating ‘his’ team like that! It sickens me…

10 Calliegirl { 11.02.11 at 2:11 pm }

PinkPatentMaryJanes – Survivor is repeated each Sunday at 5.30pm on Go! In case you cannot find it on the Internet.

11 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 11.02.11 at 4:22 pm }

Oh Calliegirl I love you – thank you!

Cheryl I think I missed Guatemala – there was one series I missed due to shocking timing on Channel 9’s part. Thanks for the heads-up.

12 JStar { 11.02.11 at 7:47 pm }

Hey RR. Ozzy was on the jury on Fans vs Favourites when Eric got played by the black widow brigade which resulted in that move being voted one of the top three dumbest moves ever on Survivor! So why on earth would he take such a risk in this game when he doesn’t have such a strong core alliance? Christine was voted out first on her tribe and Albert was actively barracking for Mikayla at the last duel. Christine also flipped the bird at Mr Invisible (Rick) last time and constantly refuses to look at her former tribemates when she is at the duelling arena. Why on earth do they think she would go back to her former tribe if she gets back into the game? Is he that blind that he cannot read her body language? Like it has been said earlier, Ozzy has always lacked a social game (french kissing Amanda doesn’t count). He doesn’t take the time to read the dynamics in the game.

For this move to work, a lot hinges on the merge happening right after the next duel. Survivor has had a history of commencing the jury portion of the evictees prior to the merge when down to 12 players (the last time was on Heroes vs Villains when Coach and Courtney were booted off before the merge). Ozzy’s plan is a risky, dumb move from someone who is not getting a “winner” edit. The second part of this equation relies on the fact all of Ozzy’s tribemates will stay loyal to him.

My thoughts (and these are mine as the next episode has not aired yet in America – not spoilers, just speculation) is that judging by the title of the next episode – “Double Agent” – it will centre around Cochran. Survivor is well known for dropping hints in its editing on what to expect during the season. Richard Hatch declared he would win the million dollars in the first episode of Survivor and went on to win. Last season’s edit of Matt made it so obvious that he would be the returnee from Redemption Island. Unfortunately, Christine (whom I like) is not getting nearly enough of that air time confessionals about “wanting to get back into the game.” I think Ozzy is going to end up beating her. :(

Three things have stuck out for me thus far this season. Firstly, Coach saying in the first or second episode that this is the third time he has played this game and possibly the last one so he has to play smart. The fact that we see him so much (and his antics are so much more divisive than previously) makes me think he gets to the final five. Same with Brandon. The editors are really setting up the whole “redemption vibe” again through these two players finding redemption through god in their gameplay. Secondly, the constant reference by Coach trusting Edna and how he is a loyal man. You just know that some time down the track, Coach is going to stab her in the back and there will be tears but Coach will someone justify it in his head that he did the honourable thing.

Thirdly, Cochran has voiced several times during the previous episodes that he feels like an outsider in his tribe. He had to sit there whilst the others openly told him he would be the next to go but don’t worry, “if you believe in yourself, you’ll beat Christine.” Then when Ozzy was explaining his “grand plan” to Jeff at Tribal Council, he said that he hoped Cochran would be the villain, the “double agent.” And that folks, is the title of the next episode. The editors have provided all viewers with this major clue. My belief (noting the episode has not aired in America yet) is that I suspect Ozzy will beat Christine and a merge will immediately happen. However due to Ozzy’s overacting (seriously, wasn’t he just a little too earnest when telling Christine how he got voted out) I don’t think the Upolu tribe will buy Ozzy’s story. Recognising that Cochran is the true outsider of the Savaii tribe, Upolu (or most likely Coach) will make a deal with Cochran. Cochran will play both sides during the episode (hence the “double agent” title) but in the end will act like the “villain” and end up blindsiding his former tribemates and vote with Upolu in sending either Ozzy or Keith (back) to Redemption Island.

[One of two things will occur in a week’s time. Either I can revel in smugness for being right or I’ll ask RR to delete this post! :) ]

13 Izobel2 { 11.02.11 at 10:54 pm }

Wow JStar thanks for your post! Very interesting! You really know your stuff. You too should be known by your last name like all the true legends (like Donaldson, Mariano, and of course Cochran)!!!
Can I ask what the other 2 top dumbest moves are? (your 1st paragraph). Is it James getting blindsided with the 2 idols, and JT giving his idol to Evil Russell?
I’m really enjoying this season and I too can’t believe Ozzy would do such a move, considering he has no idea if he’d even beat Christine or even if they are merging. And I too agree – why would Christine go back to her old tribe, she clearly doesn’t enjoy them. And we saw loads of Matt at Redemption Island last season, and we’ve never seen one bit of what Christine’s been up to. What on earth would she be doing every day… Thanks RR for the recap too.
PS where are you Sourkraut??

14 badguykris13 { 11.03.11 at 1:58 am }

very risky move indeed… Ozzy’s fate in Redemption island will make him either a hero or a zero…

15 Dazza { 11.03.11 at 10:31 am }

So looking forward to dowlnloading todays episode and no I will not spoil

16 Susan { 11.03.11 at 12:22 pm }

Thanks JStar – you certainly know your game! I have watched all bar 3 of the 25 odd seasons of Survivor and can barely remember any of them!!! oh, good ole Twila does stick in the memory – poor luv!
I just cant bear the thought of Coach or Ozzy winning – ala Boston Rob from last season – have been backing Dawn for a bit but am also enjoying Jim’s game too…………
Either way Christine or Ozzy coming back in the game, Upoloa should stay strong – the whole Cochrane ‘double agent’ will def come into play.
Can’t get enough of this show and spewing we not fast tracked to the US more closely – I accidentally found out last seasons winner from a US gossip site – so may have to steer clear of that towards the end – BTW – does anyone know how many weeks we behind US?

17 TMC { 11.03.11 at 12:25 pm }

Ozzy move is so very Ballsy as you say RR, so Ballsy I would assume he has large bruises on this inner thighs.

Biggest move EVER

18 JStar { 11.03.11 at 12:29 pm }

There is something intrinsically sad Izobel2 that I know too much about Survivor. With the last name tag, maybe I’ll just call myself Star on these posts from now on, particularly if I’m right! :) You also mentioned the “last name” for Cochran. He was shown in the first episode wanting to be known by his last name as iconic (male) players in Survivor are referred to by their last names. I just believe the editing is pointing towards Cochran being remembered in some iconic way for this season.

Two other dumb moves. Hard to say, really. I guess if I’m not counting “non-moves” as a move (i.e. how stupid were Rob’s tribe last season not willing to vote out a power player, who had played three previous times, at any point?), I too would nominate JT giving an idol to Russell (someone he did not know prior to the game on the outside) based on an assumption that Parvati was using the same tricks and running and all-girl alliance. And to prove that Villains can be just as dumb as Heroes, I would nominate Tyson in not sticking to the agreed vote and effectively voting himself out of the game when Russell played the idol for Parvati and not himself (as Tyson assumed he would).

I too would love to know what Christine has been up to. Did she and Stacey make an effigy of “Benjamin” and toast it like a marshmallow? Who knows. We don’t see enough of her bitterness but get plenty of scenes of Coach and Brandon forcing everyone to pray.

And Susan, thanks for the feedback. Loved Twila and Eliza’s hate-hate relationship too. We are at the same point with the US but their latest episodes air (our time) Thursday afternoon. So don’t go on any gossip site from today onwards to find out what happened!

19 Susan { 11.03.11 at 12:37 pm }

JStar – you rock!
Also have to say what a friggin hypocrite Coach is being too – hiding the idol and then lying to his tribe about it – makes me blood curl – hee hee!

20 Dazza { 11.03.11 at 1:47 pm }

Todays episode in US is played next Tuesday night, so about 4 days behind. Not bad for Channel 9

21 Izobel2 { 11.03.11 at 6:10 pm }

Hey ‘Star’ – I saw the beginning where Cochran asked to be referred to by his last name, he had me right there, I think he’s kinda cool – in a nerd kinda way. I have another question for you – what’s the scoop with the RIDICULOUS outfits in every season of Survivor?? Like who’d wear a suit and dress shoes, or a stupid dress?? Why not rock up with the camo gear in multi layers and good strong shoes etc? I’ve never understood it….

22 Susan { 11.03.11 at 10:39 pm }

Izobel2 – I saw in a few episodes ago they only got their bathers delivered – and some of them seem delighted they got their fave pair. I also wondered about the wrong choice of clothing they appear to be wearing – Whitney is sporting jeans/boots!
Maybe they have to just give up an array of their clothing and then the producers deem what ‘suits’ – but it would be interesting to find out how it all really works …….

23 JStar { 11.04.11 at 5:04 am }

Izobel2 and Susan – hmm…what do you mean ridiculous clothing? If it wasn’t for those knee-high socks Sally ran around in every challenge during Exile Island, I wouldn’t have remembered her at all. Wearing something ridiculous gets a contestant notice and possibly score some cheap Big W print modelling gig (yes, I’m looking at you Philip from Redemption Island and your horrible holey fuchsia y-fronts-of-horror that was thrusted on our television sets last season). I think in most cases, contestants can wear whatever outfit they choose as long as it doesn’t contravene the show’s sponsors (long gone are the good old early seasons when Reebok sponsored the show and supplied the clothing). But in seasons where teams are already pre-divided, sometimes they are told to wear a piece of clothing (that was non-bikini and non-underwear) that had a colour that would match their buffs (think Samoa with Russell and Shambo when one team had an item of clothing that was purple, whilst the other had an item of clothing that was yellow).

But it is also fair to say that some contestants are completely blindsided by the producers and are caught out with their clothing that they probably did not intend to play the game in. It started with Pearl Islands when the contestants were told they were getting their pre-show publicity photos done on a ship only for Jeff to appear and tell them that the game was actually starting now and to jump off the ship to reach their destination. One contestant was wearing an Armani suit, another one did not have a bra on. (This was the season prior to All-Stars and I heard that apparently in that latter season, many contestants were freaked out that the producers would do the same thing that they deliberately wore three layers of clothing for all pre-game publicity work just to be on the safe side). This trick caught out contestants in Gabon (three male contestants were wearing suits) and again at Nicaragua (think Dan and him walking in a jungle with $1,500 alligator-leather shoes).

Sigh, so much useless knowledge about Survivor. Okay, I confess. I AM Cochran! 😛

24 Susan { 11.04.11 at 3:14 pm }

JStar – I knew it!!!!
Yeah – remeber very well that one they all on the boat and then they had to ditch it into the ocean and last person to shore was penalised – if memery serves me right – ah the good ole days – I could ramble about this show forever!!!!!!!