Celebrity Apprentice – Julia Morris Says It Was Deni’s Race That Contributed To Viewer Backlash

Celebrity Apprentice winner Julia Morris has come out in news.com.au to say  the targeting of Deni Hines is unfair and she thinks it could be because of the colour of her skin.

In my opinion this may have motivated a very small percentage of online dislike, but it was Deni herself and the editing that made her the least popular member of the cast.

But first the article:

CELEBRITY Apprentice winner Julia Morris has described the viewer backlash against series villain Deni Hines as that of a racist “lynch mob”.

The 43-year-old comic took the TV title but shared the prizemoney with runner-up Jason Coleman, who was also targeted by angry fans online, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The energetic Morris, who raised more than $150,000 for the National Breast Cancer Foundation during the series, hit back at the “unAustralian” haters who “bullied” Hines and Coleman.

“Deni hasn’t just been bullied, there’s a lynch mob after her and I’m not altogether convinced that’s not something to do with the fact she doesn’t have white skin,” Morris said.

“The fact someone would chastise her about bullying by nearly bullying her into the grave just takes my breath away.”
The people Deni and Julia should be taking this issue up with is not the viewer but with the editors as they are the ones that portrayed her like that onscreen. However Deni did not do herself any favours on the show as she was a diva, egocentric, and at times downright nasty. Why did the producers bring her back in the last challenge? Because they knew she was great TV, also last week in the previews they dressed her up as a witch from WICKED. So please don’t shaft all the blame on the viewer, also the look of dislike on the majority of the contestants faces when they were working with Deni and in the board room would indicate there was not a lot of love for her on set.
In other Celebrity Apprentice news Jesinta Campbell is saying her and Didier Cohen are just friends. I am not sure I believe her. (Source: News.com.au)

1 Chunks { 11.22.11 at 1:31 pm }

What complete and utter bullshit. Typical Green-Left idiocy. People hated Deni because she was a conceited, rude cow with delusions of grandeur. There may well be a nasty online “lynch mob” attacking her but it has nothing to do with her skin colour. Playing the race card is just disgusting.

2 kewpie { 11.22.11 at 1:33 pm }

man, i thought she was smarter than that – “for her race”…. really, julia? rudeness knows no boundaries… you don’t need to be a certain colour type to exhibit the kind of behaviour that ms hines showed on TV. it’s 2011, let’s call a spade a spade and not sugar coat it.

3 Mia { 11.22.11 at 1:36 pm }

In the last night’s episode, Deni herself admitted she behaved the way she did because she likes to “stir the pot” and because she thought it made for good TV. She CHOSE to behave the way she did. If she didn’t behave like a A grade cow, the always maligned editor wouldn’t
t have anything to put to air, would they?

I couldn’t give a toss what colour Deni’s skin is. A bitch is a bitch is a bitch.

4 Sonia { 11.22.11 at 1:37 pm }

From what I saw on twitter last night there was alot of hate but not alot of mention about her skin. I think Jesinta Campbell said it ebst on the Today show. I like Julia Morris (now I didnt before the show) but Jesinta is wise beyond her years

5 Georgie { 11.22.11 at 1:44 pm }

So play the discrimination card to silence the critics. Of course the backlash directed at Dodge will be all about his sexuality not his behavior. Julia you just lost your following. Golliwogs and Noddy to you.

6 Craig { 11.22.11 at 2:32 pm }

oh please! Julia, don”t take the shine of a rather popular win by playing the race card. Simply, Deni just acted like a spoilt, arrogant upstart. People of all races have been known to act like that also. How quickly she backed down when challenged by Jesinta in that final boardroom. If fact prasing her! it was insulting to say least. however she did provide for very entertaining (sometimes frustratingly) good television. So good on Ch9 for getting that right.

7 kess { 11.22.11 at 2:38 pm }

OMG – I don’t get the posters bitching about the big crazy personalities on this trash show.

I think Deni and Max had the best nutso attitudes for this bit of fluff.
This is RTV, and trashy RTV at that, no real contestants and no real prize, very little that in fact made any sense.
So why would you take it seriously?
That beauty queen was utterly ridiculous, get a grip girl you making fluff stop taking yourself so seriously.

I applaud Deni & Max for giving this show exactly the respec t it deserved – NONE.
The only other contenders laughing – the winner of course, and Capper, Crawford – he was laughing the whole time behind an excellent poker face ( that slipped at times).

The rest of them are ridiculous.

8 PollyB { 11.22.11 at 2:39 pm }

Don’t call me a racist Julia. Deni Hines is a self-centred, insecure, bully who will lynch anyone if they don’t act they way she wants them to, ie her statements about working with or against Shane & Jesinta depending how they acted towards her.
Chunks – I’m a bit of a green-lefty and I agree pulling the race card is utter bullshit. JM not showing too much intelligence.

9 Block Fan { 11.22.11 at 2:40 pm }

I’m really surprised that Julia would say this – its awful that some people might make an issue out a contestants race and those people deserve to be slapped for being such racist morons. But it seems obvious that 99.9% of people who are appalled by Deni’s behaviour feel that way because she was such a massive up-herself bully! She comes across as an unpleasant person and an all round nasty piece of work, she is a self-confessed bully since school days. I wonder if Julia threw in the race comment as she is supposed friends with Deni…Julia seems like a sensible person so it seems out of character that she has insulted the viewers by making such unfortunate comments.

10 brain dead dave { 11.22.11 at 2:44 pm }

It’s because Deni has a black heart and not her black skin that she’s full of it. Did folks hate on the big Dell? Big fail for Julia Morris.

11 Culinary Boner { 11.22.11 at 2:45 pm }

Deluded semi-talented mug lairs will always be just that, whether they be black like Deni Hines, brown like Anthony Mundine or a white-assed mofo like Mark Latham.

Deni’s skin colour would have been entirely irrelevant if she hadn’t put on a hissy fit about the colour of the baby doll used for the commercial (which in the final edit appears to have been appropriately colourised anyway).

Behave like an psycho-billy arsehat, making dumb and obnoxious threats about fellow contestants, and you will be judged an arsehat, it’s as simple as that.

Jesinta called her out well and good, and for part of the show went up immensely in my estimation. That was until she started the waterworks.

Julia likewise, until these really unintelligent comments. Jase was at least consistent in maintaining the narcissism and toadying right through his time on screen but combining this with a super work ethic but often misguided drive for ‘perfection’.

Can’t wait for another season of Self-Obsessed Celebrity Cockhead Canon-fodder.

Bouris must be laughing that he doesn’t have to employ any of these clowns and, by showing restraint and a sense of corporate majesty, comes out of this show smelling of roses in comparison with the other D-graders.

12 littlepetal { 11.22.11 at 3:20 pm }

What a load of rubbish about the colour of Deni’s skin. The dislike for Deni is that viewers don’t like the way she behaved. Hate people using the racist card when things don’t go their way. Viewers also didn’t like Jason but Julia didn’t say it was the colour of his skin. I thought Julia has more intelligence.

Deni made Max Markson looked like a saint!!!

13 Wurstsemmel { 11.22.11 at 3:41 pm }

Oh Julia. Can’t believe you came out with that crap. Suggest you sit down and rewatch the series and see why people can’t stand Deni Hines.

14 Culinary Boner { 11.22.11 at 3:43 pm }

“In other Celebrity Apprentice news Jesinta Campbell is saying her and Didier Cohen are just friends.”

Has he taken for a spin of his Penny Farthing yet?
Or arranged a double date with Bendeguz?

15 Culinary Boner { 11.22.11 at 3:45 pm }

Self-edit:
“Has he taken her for a spin on his Penny Farthing yet?”

16 Staceoid { 11.22.11 at 4:15 pm }

Max Markson – insane and money hungry.
Deni Hines – 100% up herself and unbrilliant.
Jason Coleman – 100% up himself but brilliant at least.
Julia Morris – Hilarious but less so after pulling the race card.
Jesinta Campbell – A legend for maturely handling Deni whilst Deni acts like a 5 yo.

17 Robyn { 11.22.11 at 4:30 pm }

Julia, what a load of crap bringing the race card into it. Wendell Sailor didn’t have any such problem. Deni Hines is just a no talent out-and out bitch. She was the one who bought any colour issue into the show by banging on and on about the white baby. What would have happened if Shane, as the purported father of said baby, objected to the colour if they had managed to procure a black baby prop? And to use the word “UnAustralian” (loathesome word) to describe people just telling the truth. You have absolutely made fun of that word in some of your past attempts at humorous satire.

18 Buzz { 11.22.11 at 5:34 pm }

I was taken aback by this as well, until I considered that JM was probably talking about the kind of dodgy troll-infested threads that pass for commentary these days.
I have enjoyed RR commenters vilification of Deni – based solely on the hideousness of her nature and not the colour of her skin :)
What a swamp-hog.

19 jord { 11.22.11 at 6:54 pm }

I loved Wendell Sailor because he was funny and genuine on the show, not because he is black. Just like I HATED Deni because she was rude, obnoxious and acted like an a@$hole, not because she is black. In fact I think Deni was the one who played on being black with all her “sista” crap.

20 TMC { 11.22.11 at 8:13 pm }

Julia, Um No. I think the only time race was mentioned was by Deni herself re the baby debarcle.
I saw no mention of her skin colour anywhere I looked.
you can be White and be a cunt
You can be black and be a cunt,
You can be Yellow and be a cunt,
You can be brown and be a cunt
You can be red and be a cunt.
Being a cunt does not discriminate

21 Neil { 11.22.11 at 8:45 pm }

I would have liked to have heard Miss Julia say it in person. Me thinks she may have been stirring the pot a little and had a far bit of her tounge in her check.

22 Kim { 11.22.11 at 9:13 pm }

Deni, honey it’s not because you are black that we don’t like you, it’s because you are a rude, arrogant bully with a self inflated sense of self. Even if your skin was white we wouldn’t like you. Its a pity you haven’t picked up any class from your mother.

23 smauge { 11.22.11 at 10:10 pm }

I am just too sad to say much about this. Julia won me over, and just like that, lost me again.
I’m personally insulted that she insinuated I’m a racist for my comments on Deni’s bullying behavior. What is she going to say about all these comments now the race card doesn’t apply to her?
I’m another one that enjoyed Wendall for the short time he was on. But I suppose that’s because I’m sexist as well…

24 Anonymous { 11.22.11 at 11:21 pm }

Yes, how DARE she question your right to be vile?

25 Georgie { 11.22.11 at 11:43 pm }

‘Brandy, Brandy, what is it to you girl’.

26 Brad { 11.22.11 at 11:43 pm }

Julia has since made a comment on her facebook page clarifying her position on the whole Deni Race thing … she was specifically referring to some particularly racist coments she had read on social networking sites/forums.

27 Richard { 11.23.11 at 8:10 am }

What about Deni and her black gangsta talk? She can’t use her colour when it suits her and then cry discrimination.

28 smauge { 11.23.11 at 9:06 am }

Have you got a link Brad? I couldn’t find it.

29 Anna { 11.23.11 at 7:09 pm }

Of course the race card is used, it usually is when a black person is at fault. The blame will always fall on somebody else because it starts an apologetic reaction. Thanks to Julia, Deni and her publicist’s will use race to try and shame people into apologising for online rants and complaints about her. But she is a disgrace and her attitude wont be forgotten by anybody any time soon.

30 smauge { 11.23.11 at 10:50 pm }

Well I ain’t apologizing sista! :snap snap snap:

31 Demi Hines Fan { 12.11.11 at 10:34 am }

Weird the way every link in the article to mainstream news stories is now broken.

Someone doing a PR job to rewrite history maybe?

And shame Julia, shame… Racist?? Pathetic comment that nobody but you even thought of, let alone believes.

32 Sandy { 12.13.11 at 10:05 pm }

Deni Hines should have been arrested for threatening Jacinta on camera in the Celebrity Apprentice episode. She kept saying to Jacinta to leave her alone leave her alone or she might do something to Jacinta that would see her never model again. This behaviour should have seen Deni be forced to undergo Anger Management training as well, as this is the kind of behaviour that can lead from being a bully to causing serious assault. She obviously has a lot of very deep demons and mental illness.