The X Factor – Reece Mastin Has Been Set Up To Win

Well the fix was well and truly on last night to ensure Reece Mastin wins this year’s The X Factor. He got the last spot (what I call the pimp spot) singing with pop icon Kylie Minogue. Was this fair? I would have not been happy about it if I had been Johnny Ruffo or Andrew Wishart, particularly since they had just warbled out their “winners songs”.

By the way Kylie Minogue is a superstar, she looked fabulous and Madonna should take notes on how to perform with a much younger guy without it looking creepy.

Just as I thought Johnny Ruffo’s singing had improved he was joined on the stage by Salt n Pepa who quickly proved me wrong. Johnny was drowned out by their voices.

Natalie Bassingthwaite kept Andrew Wishart song choices in the Mix radio demographic, knowing this was where his voting base was from. He started off with a passable edition of Adele Someone Like You,  and he got to perform with The Fray You Found Me. After that he lost me….

Andrew Wishart must be hoping that Johnny Ruffo and Reece will split the teen vote and his fans the over 30 women will get him across the line. Remember Andrew has the same voting block as Altiyan had and he won last year. This will be something the producers will hope won’t occur.

Who do you want to win? What was the highlight for you in last night’s episode?

1 Craig { 11.22.11 at 9:47 am }

Totally agree that it was a definate push for Reece although very much warranted. He was definately the stand out performer last night with or without that totallly awesome reece & Kylie show! Andrew seemed lost and the fray would have to be disappointed when they watch that back it was woeful at times. Good show by Johnny he should be runner up tonight after all the effort he has put into mastering a balance between singing and dancing! Oh and salt n pepper were also great but Kylie stole the show as she always does!

2 Mia { 11.22.11 at 9:57 am }

I agree, giving Reece the Kylie duet AND the coveted ‘pimp spot’ at the end was a blatant ‘let’s make sure Reece wins’ move by the powers that be.

3 Chunks { 11.22.11 at 10:35 am }

Andrew is out of the running altogether because one Farnsy is enough, great as his voice may be. How marketable really is a 16-year-old who likes to sing Bon Jovi and Guns’n’Roses? He may have been set up to win but despite great performances he ended up in the bottom two three weeks in a row and I don’t believe Kylie is going to sway Team Johnny in the voting . It certainly was bizarre partnering Johnny with Salt n Pepa but I don’t think that will stop him claiming the trophy. He has the X Factor in spades. Just ask Mel B…

4 Jay { 11.22.11 at 11:19 am }

The X went out of X-Factor when 3 wishes were sent packing. Reece and Johnny are great covers singers but I thought the only one that could carry an original song was Andrew. Whether voting will reflect this is another story entirely. I think the X-Factor format would be a lot more honest if we could see performers engaging original material earlier in the competition – too much emphasis on karaoke does not make or reveal a superstar!

5 Nic { 11.22.11 at 11:52 am }

Yep…agreed….produced to ensure Reece the winners spot……although I think he was a certain without Kylie. She performed well although I thought something looked a little odd with her lastnight?? Hmmm cant put my finger on it. Reece to win!! He s an xfactor all rounder!!

6 Chunks { 11.22.11 at 11:54 am }

Fillers and botox. Just a touch…

7 jules { 11.22.11 at 1:11 pm }

Yes Reece was set up to win but to me, Johnny has the X Factor. He has the personality, the wicked smile, best dancer, just an all round performer. The other two have zero entertainment skills. Reece is just an Adam Lambert try hard copy. Anyone who watched American Idol will relate to this. And Reece will never be an Adam Lambert. Johnny just has the whole package. He is the X Factor 2011!!!

8 Elizabeth { 11.22.11 at 1:43 pm }

Andrew was never going to win – he was only put there as a red herring. Johnny is loved by all and is going to win that is why he was given silly clothes and some songs that weren’t quite right. They had to give Reece Kylie so it wouldn’t be a one horse race. Johnny can sing and dance and has a great smile – he has it all, he has the x factor.

9 brain dead dave { 11.22.11 at 2:53 pm }

It was asking too much to have Pops Wishart dancing with Kylie,even though they’re roughly the same age. It would just have looked too lame the way Pops flops around like an over stuffed Emperor penguin. Kylie would surely have balked at that whereas her dancing with Reece was pretty good television.

I hope Pops is a red herring. He’s more of a beige herring to me.

10 Toad.Princess { 11.23.11 at 2:49 am }

Yes I believe it was all a set up for Reece to win. He will not be as successful as Johnny would have been. Johnny may well have made it into UK charts/tv but Reece will probably not even feature, nor in US charts. His voice just does not have the range. Johnny on the other hand has much better looks and stage presence. He is much more the all round entertainer and is more marketable in other countries. The young lady who was rejected a week or so ago.. Christine Pirie ? was more talented and had a better singing range. She should have been in the finals and probably should have won. Anyway..Producers do fix things as it has been proved in contraversial reality contests in UK .

11 lee { 11.23.11 at 10:08 am }

Reece may have talent,but he has a long way to go,I have never been so dissapointed,a big set up if ever there was one ,I HOPE Andrew gets plenty of offers he deserves them,AND Johny,Johny,that beautiful smile even when you didn’t win you still gave us a big smile,I HOPE out there in TV land you are snapped up for a show like HOME AND AWAY ,a great aussie battler,you deserve all good things, go get em ,you have so much to offer.

12 Alana { 11.23.11 at 4:34 pm }

Kylie was terrible, woman can’t sing very well at all for the level of fame she has achieved. I don’t even like Reece, and he completely showed Kylie up during their duet.

13 mitcho { 11.25.11 at 6:23 pm }

OK, the problem with voting shows like this is, it’s not transparent you never see the actual voting results for all performers and why do they say in no particular order I think it is so the producers can manipulate the contestants and the flow of the show for drama example being Reece being in bottom two after Staying Alive version which he did well so a drama was set as Reece started looking like a standard perfection that was becoming boring.

14 Marie { 11.28.11 at 8:07 pm }

Hmm… you’ve got a point, I’ll give you that. But I think, Kylie or not, Reece would have still won. He’s just got a bigger fanbase. But I think the producers did get the celebrity performances write. Think about it. Dancer Johnny singing with the Fray? Andrew, who has ZERO energy on stage with Kylie? And, Lord help us, REECE singing with SALT N PEPA? Johnny singing with the energetic duo was good, Andrew singing a ballad with the Fray, yes. And Reece and Kylie? You can’t deny, maybe it was a bit out of place, but I think it was still well thought out. And I recall Simon Cowell saying in the very beginning they wanted someone unlike anyone else out there, someone who captivates you. I find Andrew’s performances good, but not enough to keep me from texting people. Johnny can’t sing too well, and the dancing’s the only thing I like about him. Reece I like to watch, when he rocks out onstage it’s not something you can ignore. And the world has so many Justin Biebers and Ushers and all that. Johnny Ruffo would only be another. And Reece sings something entirely different, something I personally haven’t seen much of, and so that makes me want to watch more.

15 Toad.Princess { 12.06.11 at 3:59 am }

Sorry to say but Reece will not be a star outside of this continent. Probably won’t be remembered on this continent next year..lol..Christine Pirie stood the best chance of making it in England and USA.