Junior Masterchef – And The Winner Is…

Greta who has been a front runner from the start on Junior Masterchef tonight beat Jack in the final.

There were two challenges in the very long two hour finale. First they went head to head in an invention test involving fruit.

Jack made deconstructed strawberries and cream, and Greta made a Deconstructed Citrus Tart with Tropical Mousse on Macadamia Nuts with Fresh Fruit.

For the cooking amateurs out there “deconstructed” is a term you use in cooking when you want to make a mundane dish sound posh, or you stuff up dish and need to smear it over the plate.

They then had to make special guest judge Tetsuya’s dish of Steamed Tian of Queensland Spanner Crab with Bean Curd, Water Chestnuts and Junsai.

Greta won with a total score of 92/100 to Jack’s 84/100.

Greta won $15,000 and Jack $10,000.

1 Leop { 11.24.11 at 9:01 am }

JMC has done its job and inspired thousands of young kids. Loved the first show; fresh and new. This season was was tired and felt drawnout
Great that Greta won, Jack and Zac were fantastic too

2 Culinary Boner { 11.24.11 at 9:11 am }

I couldn’t sit through the tedium of this over-long finale.
They need to edit this format down and put it on at a more kid-friendly time so that it can be family viewing.
Or just retire the concept before MasterChef overexposure kills the franchise off entirely.
There was no charm or wonder in this series, just an endless succession of colour-by-numbers, set pieces. Hell, they even managed to make DisneyLand look boring.

3 littlepetal { 11.24.11 at 9:21 am }

I love the first Junior Masterchef. I guessed it was quite surprising that the kids can cook so well. Will this series it just expected that they will do amazing things and nothing is a surprise anymore. They are kids and I don’t mind if we do see something that didn’t work. I usually do something else while watching the show. Won’t miss it.

4 Mrs T { 11.24.11 at 9:28 am }

I thought this season would never end, the concept is a good one but I think it need only be a short competition, they are only kids after all.

5 Joseph Skyrim { 11.24.11 at 9:38 am }

Yeah this time around JMC wasn’t as “interesting”? Dunno. Perhaps it was because there was no uberly cute Sienna (who still appears in commercials) or the talented twins to hold my attention (also Isabella got a lot taller! o.o). They just felt more genuine, and/or could act more genuine than this batch.

Still was a heck of a lot better than that crappy Renovators show though, and I’m happy that Greta won.

As for it not being back next year, eh… that’s ok. With this format of being “nice” all the time, I feel that the show really relies on the batch of kids to make it or break it especially now that the novelty is wearing out.

6 Calliegirl { 11.24.11 at 9:43 am }

Thanks RR for telling us what deconstructed meant! I was about to Google it, but you must have known it would confuse some of us. Watched the first Junior MC, but just couldn’t hack it this year.

7 Culinary Boner { 11.24.11 at 9:49 am }

Back in my uni days “deconstructed” could have been the applied to the ‘carrot soup’ I’d barf up every Sunday morning

8 Georgie { 11.24.11 at 10:05 am }

LOL CB, so did the ‘deconstruction process’ take place during the cooking or the barfing?

9 Joseph Skyrim { 11.24.11 at 10:07 am }

@Georgie – sounds like it could be at both stages for CB’s carrot soup. 😛

10 Culinary Boner { 11.24.11 at 10:45 am }

Georgie, I was just ahead of my time (but didn’t know it)…*sips on his civet poo Fairtrade coffee*

* http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/life_sciences/report-31682.html

DISCLAIMER… Fairtrade in this case means it was fair on the Indo farmer, not the flea-bag civet

11 Georgie { 11.24.11 at 10:47 am }

Or, given that it’s a process, maybe it happened between the cooking and the barfing. There’s a vital piece of informtion I overlooked the first time and that was the mention of’ “Sunday morning”. This supports the idea of another stage in between, probably involving alcohol.

12 Georgie { 11.24.11 at 11:06 am }

CB – “I was just ahead of my time (but didn’t know it)…*sips on his civet poo Fairtrade coffee*” plus the link –

Are you suggesting that the process resulted in a superior carrot?

Thanks for the tip on the coffee – I’ll endeavour to remember never to drink it. At $50 a cup it’s not likely to happen anyway unless someone was shouting.

I’ll also steer clear of any CB carrots if I happen upon them.

13 Georgie { 11.24.11 at 11:12 am }

Joseph Skyrim – I knew it would not be as simple as it first appeared to us.

14 Culinary Boner { 11.24.11 at 11:34 am }

Georgie, the civets of Sulawesi rejoice in your decision.

As you’ve deducted, alcohol was the key alament in this ‘carrot soup’, which was more of a chowder anyway if I recall correctly.

Going further back into the past, ‘deconstruction’ was what kids (mainly boys) did to their toys, only get a whack from their cash-pressed parents who rightly described their kid’s actions as ‘destruction’.

Perhaps it’s time someone gave some of those chefs out there a spanking for destroying dishes and then trying to pass it off as ‘culinary innovation’ or worse still ‘art’.

You’re safe Heston, because at least you put some chemistry and knowledge behind your reworking of food.

15 Kyle Sandilands Apologises to Journo Over Rude Comments | Luxury Brand { 11.24.11 at 12:41 pm }

[…] Gret&#97 be&#97ts J&#97ck t&#111 t&#97ke &#111&#117t t&#104e Jun&#105&#111r &#77asterChef 2011 t&#10… – R&#101ali&#116y Ravings […]

16 Culinary Boner { 11.24.11 at 1:19 pm }

Hey Kyle. Stop spamming this site!

17 Moo { 11.25.11 at 3:55 pm }

“If you are a fan of the show you are going to be disappointed as it is highly unlikely it will be returning next year.”

No big loss there!