Excess Baggage: Kate DeAraugo Had Full Body Lipo

Australian Idol winner Kate DeAraugo told the Sunday Telegraph that after she finished on Idol she had full body liposuction.

Doing that just sounds so painful. However her weight troubles have continued. She is now on the new reality show Excess Baggage which will be shown on Channel Nine in 2012.

She told the Sunday Telegraph:

DeAraugo, who sparked a wave of public support on the show when judge Kyle Sandilands said she had “tuckshop lady arms” in the 2005 season, had the procedure after the show.

“Nobody knew,” DeAraugo tells Insider on Queensland’s Whitehaven Beach, where she is currently filming Nine’s new reality body image show, Excess Baggage.

“It was full-body, some outrageous amount of incisions in my body and was just horrendous.”

The singer, 26, who currently weighs 100kg, said the pressure of her Idol win intensified the battle she’d suffered with her weight since age 15.

“I was in the spotlight, and I was hearing my career needed it. I put myself through liposuction because I thought that was the answer.

“There’s really nothing that I haven’t done to get skinny. I was always told life will be better when I’m thin. My weight has been something that’s that has traumatised me my whole life.”

DeAraugo released one solo album after winning Idol before joining The Young Divas, until 2008.

She signed with, then walked away from, Jenny Craig and her career went downhill. “It all turned to s***,” she explains. “I stopped working two years ago and decided to write and record an album, which has been waiting for 12 months.

“They can’t market it and I know it’s not my voice, it’s my look.”

It appears Kate never got much support from her management or record company after she won Australian Idol, however I think her issues for not having a successful career in music cannot not be all put down to her weight. She never had a lot of personality or star power, maybe Excess Baggage can revive her career.

1 Paul { 11.28.11 at 7:11 am }

Call me insensitive but there’s one thing she most probably hasn’t tried – that is not to eat so much and to exercise more.

Incredibly following these two basic principles often leads to weight loss !!!!!

I appreciate that some people just don’t have the time to exercise but she is young and in the entertainment industry. It wouldn’t have been too hard for her to get a personal trainer and cut out eating shit for a while.

No sympathy.
Sorry..

2 Anonymous { 11.28.11 at 7:48 am }

That’s not insensitive Paul, that’s common sense. It was the first thing I thought of too. And guess what? It’s WAAAYYY less painful and/or dangerous than liposuction!
You’re right RR – her problem is she is as dull as dog shit. Adele has similar looks and size yet is a world wide hit. Because she has TALENT. I’ve never known how Kate DeArauga won Idol.

3 Dazza { 11.28.11 at 9:12 am }

If Paulini can lose weight after that infamous Series 1 moment with Dicko, then Kate should. She may not have worked for 2 years, but she has obviously eaten

4 Mrs T { 11.28.11 at 9:51 am }

Oh dear, I think she needs to work on her self esteem. She will be disappointed to discover that if and when she loses weight her life isnt going to just dramatically improve. As anonymous said, there are plenty of plus size artists around that experience success, she just needs pick herself up and get on with it!!!

5 Culinary Boner { 11.28.11 at 9:56 am }

Don’t these people realise they are the pop industry’s equivalent of canon-fodder. A pat of the back and push towards the front lines of the pop-buying public. A hero’s welcome should they succeed. Dumped and forgotten when they don’t. Apart from G. Sebastian the best the rest of these wannabees can usually manage is a firmly at the fringe of the music industry – Sharon Noll, Wes wots-‘is-name, Damien Leith, Ricki-lee (now more famous as a serial men’s mag stripper), Casey Donavan, Paulini, he-who-must-not-be-named (the Leader of the Altourage) and the subject of this post.

If they were any good, they still be lauded by their record companies and the general public. Instead most are simply embarrassments to society in the same way that wounded soldiers returning from the front-line were many, many years ago. We pity them, but would prefer not to see them. Go and get a real job Kate, like the rest of us.

Oh, not that this will stop me watching Xs Baggage… Did I mention that Ajay gives me the horn?

6 littlepetal { 11.28.11 at 12:06 pm }

After all the liposuctions, she is still overweight. Liposuction is not a quick fix. If you don’t work at it ie eating less and moving more, you will pile the weight back on. Paulini and Jessica Mauboy managed to trim down. Just don’t blame others.

Talking about Ajay. Why is she in the show? I thought some months ago(actually last year) she did a photoshoot in bikini and said she lost all those kgs. Did she pile them all back??

7 Anonymous { 11.28.11 at 12:26 pm }

Possibly on purpose, Littlepetal. She needs to get her face on tv somehow.

Kate was always a yawn. Didn’t have that ‘x-factor’

8 Rena Graham { 11.28.11 at 4:33 pm }

I don’t really think liposuction is a bad thing as long as you’re doing it for yourself and not for other people. I myself have always wanted to get lipo especially around my thighs which is my problem area. But of course, living a healthier lifestyle and taking a good diet is much much better since it molds your character and your ability to hold yourself from vices and desires.

9 Culinary Boner { 11.28.11 at 4:55 pm }

Do they recycle the fat? In situ for trout pout ops?
Or off site into other uses?
Maybe Kate can get a job as a ‘carbon sink’?

10 Anonymous { 11.28.11 at 6:52 pm }

what a pack of charmers you lot are – you make Kyle seem reasonable in his comments. Shame on you Emma for all the hate and bile you incite and allow on this blog

11 smauge { 11.28.11 at 8:05 pm }

I just realized my comment earlier (no.2) was on my new computer and came out as anonymous. However the other anonymous comments are not me.

12 Georgie { 11.28.11 at 8:30 pm }

Glad we got that sorted smauge.

Anonymous is such a common name and Anonymous has such varied and contradictory opinions that it’s difficult to take anything Anonymous says seriously.

13 Marepoppin { 11.28.11 at 9:37 pm }

I did think Anonymous had certainly changed her tune. Thanks Smaugie

14 Reality Raver { 11.29.11 at 12:23 am }

Mrs T – I agree with you, build on self esteem, and also maybe think about what she can do if her music career never revives.

Culinary Boner – you are being harsh Jessica Mauboy and Ricki-Lee which if I read one more article where they talk about her weight loss I am going to scream.

Anonymous – Which of the comments are you finding offensive? The comments on this blog can get snarky, but I am not finding this thread OTT by any means. However please point out the comments you find offensive so I can look at them.
Most people are saying that maybe there are better was to lose weight, and that maybe she just won’t have a singing career. Unfortunately for Kate she was never seen as a superstar. Also season three was particularly weak with Emily Williams runner up and that Lee guy who seriously could not sing coming in third.

Little Petal – Ajay’s weight goes up and down, and like Kate I don’t think lipo is the answer. It is trying to delve into the emotional side of it. I think Weight Watchers is the best weight loss company, as they try and ingrain permanent eating habits that are good.

15 smauge { 11.29.11 at 7:09 am }

RR – What really annoys me about Ricki Lee is that she was always in the magazines saying how much she loves her curves and how happy she was with her shape, only to lose the weight and go on and on about how unhappy she was in her old body etc.
I actually unsubscribed from a magazine because they became so obsessed with putting weightloss stories on their cover.
And who was Lee? Was he the punk looking dude?

16 Rich Plastic Surgeon { 12.05.11 at 10:36 am }

Keep up the good work ladies, I’d like a third yacht and a wife upgrade.

17 littlepetal { 12.05.11 at 11:45 am }

I also laugh when I read comments from those celebrities that have lost weight and say how happy they are now and blah blah blah. Then some months down the road they pile the weight back on…. If they are serious of their health, they should take control of they weight and eating habits.

18 Izobel2 { 12.07.11 at 12:08 am }

Yeah smauge he had that song wasabi. I think it rhymed with tsunami or something crazy like that !

19 anonymous { 12.07.11 at 10:31 am }

God you guys are pigs. Leave her alone. She is a gorgeous curvy woman. So what if she cant sing like adele. It does not mean you have to make her feel like shit. She thought what she was doing was right for her in respect to the surgeries. She looked fabulous before and after everything has happened. She looks healthy and proud of herself and that is what makes her so attractive.

20 Culinary Boner { 12.07.11 at 10:48 am }

anon… didn’t I say that Ajay gives me the horn?
That’d make her attractive to my eye, despite currently tipping the scales at greater than Arthur Beetson’s 1977 playing weight. Or am I missing something?
However, I’ll pass on Kate, so I’ll do as you say and “leave her alone”. Oh, and I’ll also pass on Ricki-Lee now she’s lost her curves and gone generically scrawny.
The real issues here are about:
1. hypocrisy – How these fringe celebs constantly bang on about their weight. One minute loving their curves, the next loving being slim.
2. no self control – Eat healthy and not in excess and do a bit of exercise and guess what? Ya don’t get fat.
3 lack of compelling talent to be the star they’d want to be – The clincher in my opinion. Most of us are grown-up enough to realise that have to find, and do, the things that you are actually good at. Otherwise your in for a lifetime of pain and disappointment. That’s why most of us have jobs, rather than unreachable dreams of fame and adulation. Most of us would be pushed to even get adulation from our spouses. I know I am.

21 anonyomous { 12.07.11 at 11:05 am }

hey culinary boner.

I got a little defensive before but i totally agree with what you say about eating healthy and looking after yourself. I like curvier women but i sometimes get a little frustrated when people trashtalk other people in general. Ricki lee looked much better before she lost all the weight.

I agree about the hypocrisy thing when they say crap. I am not sure how difficult it can honestly be to love who you are.

I agree with eating a shitload is bad. Kate looks fabulous but beth ditto looks like a whale.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and kate gives me the horn as well. Good on you man

22 Georgie { 12.07.11 at 11:16 am }

CB are you having a conversation with yourself? That was a classic turnaround the likes of which I’ve not seen since Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock!

23 Culinary Boner { 12.07.11 at 12:29 pm }

Georgie, no. But Jimi is getting a guitar-shaped memorial park in Seattle from what I read yesterday; presumably shaped as a Fender. Must add it to my ‘to visit’ list.

anon, good to hear that you have a ‘healthy’ taste in women and that Kate gives you the horn. In my fantasies, I’m prepared to play mark shulman* to Ajay’s artie beetson and take a damn good rucking**

Ricki-Lee better hope that her US recording career takes off this time, because her new look has trashed her ‘point of difference’ here in Australian in my opinion. The poor thing looks like Tania Zaetta’s little sister now, and she stands firmly on the cusp of skankiness. She keeps this up she’ll transform into Liz Hurley. Maybe she needs to consider Bollywood?

* for non-NRL types a diminutive st george half back from the 70s
** while this would officially be considered a rugger term, the league scrum and ruck areas in the 70s were contestable and full of rough and tumble action (though i’ll draw the line at Ajay administering the biff or rubbing dencorub in my eyes)

24 brain dead dave { 12.07.11 at 3:51 pm }

We’re not pigs,anonymous thought policeman. You’re the problem.

If this is stressing you out, there’s always Oprah.com.

25 smauge { 12.08.11 at 7:14 am }

“You “get frustrated when others trash talk” and then liken someone to a whale. Enough said.”
Beat me to it BDD.
Maybe anon read the comments back and realised that we hadn’t said anything unfair or untrue. But that comment kind of shot everything else that was said down in flames.
CB – Does Ajay give you the horn? Gee, I didn’t know that. Have you mentioned it before? hehehehehehe…
As I’ve said before, I love your Ajay worship. Restores my faith in the male of the species.

26 Dave K { 02.12.12 at 5:25 pm }

Dave K. It’s easy to sit back and bag out people when your perfect . I reckon most of you leaving the negative vibes are probably overweight yourselves

27 brain dead dave { 02.12.12 at 5:31 pm }

Sorry, but I’m less than 80 kilos ,Dave. It’s “you’re perfect”, by the way.