Deni Hines Tells New Idea I Am Not A Witch

New Idea interviewed Deni Hines to find out what she thought of her time on Celebrity Apprentice and how she felt about the way she had been portrayed on the show. It is quite interesting.

The interview states:

Deni, what happened? You came across terribly on the show. Did you expect such a public reaction?

I didn’t expect it, no. It was a weird experience. When you’re being filmed seven, eight hours a day you tend to forget they’re following you all the time, then selectively editing the material. I remember Julia [Morris] saying: ‘You’re so sweet, you tell it the way it is,’ I didn’t expect such a reaction.

How did you feel when you heard Facebook groups had started with names like ‘I hate Deni Hines’?

It’s sad that people have the time to do that. Why not join them all up into one? [Laughs] I might even join too, if I had time!

Are you devastated by all the hateful comments?

It’s not especially nice, but I can handle it. It is what it is. For me, this show ended months ago, but of course people only just got to finish seeing it on TV. Tomorrow, somebody else will be picked on.

Julia defended you, saying you’re the victim of racism. Do you agree?

Yes there’s definitely some of that in some of the messages I’m getting. It would  be beautiful to think the world no longer has racism in it – that would be a pipedream. It’s one thing to pick on my music or something about me, but how silly to pick on something I can’t change.

Did the producers ever ask you to play up your bitchy side?

No, they didn’t say that nor did I know how I was going to be edited. I did say I was happy to stir the pot a bit because that makes good TV. What they got was me under stress. There was a lot of controversial comments said by all contestants, but I guess the network chose to lump it all on me.

When did you realise that you had been depicted as a bit of a witch?

The only time I got any indication was at the wrap party. Someone got up and said”‘We’ve got a great show. We want to thank Deni Hines for the drama.’ I was like’ I was like” ‘What are you talking about?’

Some of your comments were pretty full-on. In particular, when you said Jesinta Campbell was the kind of girl you beat up at school….

I never bullied anyone! That was said for effect. I was the minority in school, I was the only black kid. In high school on e day, I got there to find ‘Marcia and Deni Hines suck’ written all over the quadrangle. I was freaked out. And I was bullied by three or four girls. I was so scared, the next day I hid a pair of scissors in my bag – not to hurt anyone with but to hold up if those girls picked on me again.

Did that toughen you up?

No – the music industry did. When a record person once said: ‘Your hair colour is too dark and curly – and can you lighten it up, lighten your skin and put blue contacts in?’, that toughened me up!

Polly Porter said she cried after the way you spoke to her…

I wish she’d done it in front of all of us. Had I known, I’d have gone up and said sorry.

If you could take back something you siad, what would it be?

Probably the bullying stuff. I stand up for the underdog – I’m not a mean person. You can think that I am by watching a TV show, but if you really knew me you’d think differently. For now, I’m being treated like I’ve killed somebody, by people I’ve never met. I didn’t rip Polly’s eyes out!

But surely all these hostile comments have hurt a little bit?

They would hurt if what people said was true, that I’m a bitch and a racist and that I don’t like people.

So you haven’t lost sleep over this?

NO. Being on the show and raising $47,000 for my charity, Oasis Africa, means 40 more kids in Africa now get to go to school, have three meals a day, medical assistance and a roof over their head for eight hours of the day.

Is your mum Marcia Hines upset about the backlash?

Mum has no reaction that she’s made known to me. She knows her child! I didn’t kill anyone. I’m sure if I’d gone crazy and attacked someone, Mum would have had something to say!

Tell us about your softer side, the side we don’t get to see….

I’ve got a huge heart. I love humans and animals.Over the years I’ve done work for 250 to 300 charities, from ovarian cancer to breast cancer, the RSPCA and the Special Olympics. On Christmas Day I sometimes visit sick kids in hospital. Last year I headed to Africa to visit orphans in Kibera. You’d have seen me cradling little babies in my arms, babies dying of starvation. That’s a reality I’m proud to be involved with  – much more than reality TV.

Career-wise, what do you say to claims you’re a one-hit wonder?

I’ve sold more than 1.3 million albums, had top five hits in the UK, France, Japan and the US, written a song for Beyonce, won an ARIA and had roles in stage shows and even a film. And there’s more to come…..

What have you learnt from all this?

New Idea readers also had the opportunity to send in some questions.

Who was your favourite and least favourite co-star?

I don’t have a least favourite because everyone you meet, good and bad, has something to teach you. Pauline Hanson was a big surprise – I hadn’t expected to like her. She’s the one who first phoned me to see if I was OK. Julia Morris was my favourite. We were already friends before the show but now we’re closer.

Your comments to Jesinta upset me. Do you think it sends the wrong message to kids about bullying?

Yes – it was meant in jest and I’m terribly sorry it was taken seriously.

You were quite mean to Polly about what you thought was her lack of celebrity. Why?

I didn’t think I was mean about lack of celebrity. If anything I was having a go at myself too – I don’t consider myself a celebrity. We’ve spoken and there’s no bad blood between us. A big thing was made of me calling her Poppy but that was all cut from one spiel. At the end of that I said: ‘S***, sorry Polly’. But of course that didn’t get aired! I get called Demi all the time. Big deal!

What has your mum said about all this?

Mum didn’t see the show. She doesn’t watch a lot of TV. She called me the other day, but it was just to ask how my puppy was.

It should be noted that Deni Hines did not take any money for this interview and New Idea donated money on behalf of her to Oasis Africa Australia.

1 bella vita { 11.29.11 at 12:02 am }

She certainly contradicts what she writes on Twitter as opposed to this very carefully edited article…no doubt she had full control over the final copy

2 PollyB { 11.29.11 at 7:18 am }

Now, back in yer box.

3 Leop { 11.29.11 at 7:26 am }

I don’t believe for a minute her mum didn’t see her on the show

4 smauge { 11.29.11 at 7:55 am }

I don’t believe ANYTHING she said Leop. She’s a bitch. She can blame the editors all she likes but she provided them the material. “Oh they didn’t show me saying sorry for being a bitch.” How about not being a bitch it the first place?? I hate her.
Oh, and don’t pull the racist card. You are hated for being a bitch, not for being black. You CAN change that, you clearly just don’t want to.

5 Georgie { 11.29.11 at 8:00 am }

“Stirring the pot boss, just stirring the pot”.

Mmmm, sounds like a witch activity to me.

6 smauge { 11.29.11 at 8:03 am }

LMAO Georgie! Bubble bubble toil and trouble!

7 Culinary Boner { 11.29.11 at 12:44 pm }

“Reality TV is not reality. It’s long, it’s tense, it’s heavily edited and often taken out of context, and it’s just not real.”

Well bend me over and roger me senseless backstage on the Big Brother set whilst Sonia provides a commentary, ya don’t say Deni, ya don’t say.

Whereas, Reality reality is the place where you “love humans and animals”, “sometimes visit sick kids in hospital”, “never bullied anyone” and also sing chart-bustin’ songs in tune.

PS. I love animals too. Just ask this fried chicken that’s joined me for lunch ….*nom nom nom*

8 Nick Jonas Is in Australia to See Girlfriend Delta Goodrem | Luxury Brand { 11.29.11 at 2:42 pm }

[…] &#68e&#110i Hi&#110es &#116alks abou&#116 how she was por&#116ra&#121e&#100 o&#110 The Cele&#98rity … – R&#101ali&#116y Ra&#118ings […]

9 brain dead dave { 11.29.11 at 4:32 pm }

Yo…you in Deni-al, bitch.

10 Reality Raver { 11.30.11 at 12:22 pm }

She is going to have a difficult time to get people to change their views of her.

11 seepi { 11.30.11 at 1:41 pm }

I think she is worried about her image – why else do an interview in New Idea for free ,and donate the money to a charity.

Just because you didn’t rip someone’s eyes out doesn’t mean you weren’t nasty to them.

Doesn’t seem like she and marcia are close if she only rings once in a blue moon to ask about the dog.

12 Georgie { 11.30.11 at 2:01 pm }

seepi – LOL
“Doesn’t seem like she and Marcia are close if she only rings once in a blue moon to ask about the dog.”

She’s probably not game to ask about the other bitch!

13 Culinary Boner { 11.30.11 at 5:43 pm }

Raver, the grammar nazis could run their very own Operation Barbarossa on your site: “Deni Hines Tells New Idea I Am Not A Witch”
Just how does Deni know you are not a witch?
Has she verified this with your family and friends?
Quotation marks, young lady! Quotation marks!!

14 Eddie { 01.29.13 at 3:11 pm }

A lot of this is sad, but I think one of the sadest is the amount of people that seem very willing to use the word HATE as if it meant nothing at all. Hate is a very powerful word and I thought that most ADULTS stop using it when they hit about the age of 15 or so. I assume that most of these comments are from girls because they are also the ones that use it more often. And of course they love nothing more than the chance to bitch about another girl and hang crap on them. Hate is a word that should be kept locked up and only used for very very bad things. Why hate someone you have never met and only have an opionion of them via words writen by somone else that you have never met. Looking at what a lot of you have put down here, a lot of people could decide that you were filled with hatred and were just a little bitchy yourselves. But not knowing you that would be wrong to do that to you. Grow up guys, even if she is a bitch, why do you care? You will never meet her, never have to deal with her, so why care what she is or isn’t like? Get over it and grow up.

15 Eddie { 01.29.13 at 3:13 pm }

16 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 3:35 pm }

“Mum has no reaction.”
“Mum didn’t watch”.
” I wish I had known I upset Polly. I would have said “Sorry”‘.
Just a few dubious comments. I think she could see she was upsetting Polly. Oh no that’s right she couldn’t because she had her fingers in her ears and was going “La lal la la”.
Don’t fob it off onto racism. There was sympathy for your Mum (same race).

17 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 3:45 pm }

Not a single commenter used the word “hate” ,Eddie. So?

Save your pious frothing and ranting for Sunday School. You’re one of the “sadest” (sic) cases going around.

18 Eddie { 01.30.13 at 10:44 am }

Brain dead dave, can you read at all? have a try at it mate. Read the comments and you might just find the word Hate there. Perhaps you should take the time to check things out before making comments, it only makes you look very stupid. The word Hate is there. But then again, maybe you’re just yet another little boy or girl with an attention span of about 10 seconds or maybe you just don’t read too well. You look pretty silly right now, but being full of yourself I’m sure you’ll find a way to justify it or find an excuse for your mistake. But the most likely is that you’ll just throw a few insults my way and then sit back and tell youself that you’re cool. But really the mistake was that you just didn’t bother checking did you little boy. Although I think you might be using a name that hides the fact that you are a 14 year old girl becuase that’s what you sound like. Have a nice day. Oh and Sunday School, who told you about that? You obvously don’t know much about it. You don’t rant and rave and froth at Sunday School little girl. You teach and learn about love. Sad? No I’m not sad nor am I sick, the sad one is the one looking back at you in the mirror. And I’m betting you have a few of those around you. And what’s with the ” makes around Sadest? Anyway, you have a good day, hope you can find someone today to pick on, it obviously makes you feel pretty good about youself. You can send another nasty letter if you want to, I know it will make you feel better about things and you seem to need to do things like that so if I can help you by giving you someone to attack then that’s ok. I hope you are only 14, because if you’re an adult you’re a pretty sad one. Have fun at Sunday School and maybe you could ask them to teach you to read a bit better while you’re there.

19 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 12:18 pm }

Again, no one used the word”hate”, Eddie. Feel free to point it out.

I haven’t bothered with the rest of your confused bilge. Some judicious use of paragraphs is beyond you, unfortunately.

20 Eddie { 01.30.13 at 5:32 pm }

4th Comment down. Thanks for being so polite, and I know people like you will not be able to see this, because you never see anything you do as being wrong. Even when it is. But please remember, all I did was make a comment about not liking the word Hate being used to attack someone you don’t know and have never met. You were the one that chose to attack me for doing so. And again you are doing the same thing. All I did was to defend myself against an insulting abusive little man, or girl, you didn’t say. Thank you for pointing out that I am ‘beneath you’ when it comes to my writing abilty. I am so very sorry that I am not as educated as you obviously like pointing out to us all that you are. You must be so proud of yourself. I pity anyone that has to live with such a self righteous egomaniac like you. Your home must be covered in mirrors for you to check how you look as you pass by. Please read the comment…see that you were and still are wrong…and then just leave me alone. Not that I expect you to do that, as I said people like you never admit being wrong and dislike anyone that points it out to them. So I will expect yet another insulting and abusive response with as many insults in it that you can think of. I am so very sick of dealing with your abuse, so please try to put your ego to one side and leave me alone, if it helps perhaps I could tell you how sorry I was for being right, so if it makes you feel better about yourself, I am also so sorry to have said that telling people you don’t know that you Hate them was wrong. Obviously where you come from that is acceptable, at least when you are doing it to others, I’m sure you get abusive and insulting if anyone that dares treat you or speak to you in the same way. Annoy someone else with your childish and pathetic abuse I prefer to be in contact with people that care about others more than they do about themselves and their own egos. Just in case you missed it at the top, Comment 4. Hate, the word hate. Even though I have asked you to leave me alone, I will now await your insulting response. Have a nice day.

21 Eddie { 01.30.13 at 5:44 pm }

By the way people, while I’m here. Please remember that the disgusting Rape in India is still at court. Please do all you can to let the world know that you are against this crime. It happens everywhere on the planet including here. Stop.

22 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 6:06 pm }

Sure the word was used, Eddie. I missed it and in any case have seen enough of smauge’s comments to know she’s not a hatemonger. A moral crusader like you would have bigger fish to fry, I would have thought, than to confuse comments in blogs about reality tv characters with attitudes about the wider community.

No one here needs you to tell us that rape is a disgusting crime,either.

You were right and I was wrong but you are wrong to suggest that people here are filled with hatred because of that comment.

23 Georgie { 01.30.13 at 6:19 pm }

SOOTI the 2nd.

24 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 6:26 pm }

Makes lofty statements about rape after demeaning the status of 14 yo girls. You’re full of shit, Eddie.

25 A.P { 01.30.13 at 7:38 pm }

I don’t understand how someone brings this up again after the original post went up over a year ago but they managed to find it?
This is old hat by now, we are looking forward to the next Celebrity Apprentice.
One thing I don’t believe is that Marcia didn’t watch Deni on the show, that is hard to believe, I know I would watch if my daughter was on tv!

26 Eddie { 02.01.13 at 9:06 am }

Please forgive the length of this post, but as it will be my last I wanted to not only reply to an abusive post to me but to let you all see the person behind them and what he stands for.
Just the reply I expected from you. You were wrong but found a way to
justify it and a way to tell me I was wrong too. Lets just say that you were
right about everything, would that then shut you up and get you to go away
and find someone else to attack. I’m sure that’s how you prefer things to be
in your life. As for my comments on Rape, go to hell, you stuck up son of a
bitch, how dare you attack me for standing up against such this crime. I
have a bloody right to do so and I will never allow a stuck up self centered
ego driven loser like you to attack me for my stand. That comment had
NOTHING to do with you or your earlier attacks on me, so why the hell do it.
Could it be that you simply enjoy abusing people that you never have to
face. And as for your pathetic excuse as to why you were right even when you
were wrong, that you know what Smaug is like because you’ve seen enough of
her comments to know what she means. Just what I expected, you found a way
to skip around the fact that my first comment was right, Hate was used. And
that was all I tried to say you ahole. You were the one that turned your
anger on me and attacked me. If you had read it in the first place your
attack would not have happened. But even if it did, knowing Smaug as well as
you do, because you’re just so much smarter than everyone else, all you
needed to do was to tell me that you did not think Smaug was trying to be
hateful. I would have thanked you for your comment and that would have been
the end of it. But that would have destroyed your fun wouldn’t it? I will
now link your crap to my Junk Email so that I no longer have to read your
hate filled abuse. And once again I will end this by telling you to go to
hell, I will stand up against Rape in any way and at any time that I can
till the day I die, and if you KNEW me as well as you seem to know everyone
else that you’ve never met, you would know that I have done so for most of
my life since the day my girlfriend had to face that horror. How dare you
tell me that I don’t have the right for my stand. Why don’t you climb back
in to the hole you dragged yourself out of. I would very much like to met
you one day you abusive stuck up self righteous loser. You would be spending
a week searching for your teeth, that’s if you didn’t run like a coward. But
even then it wouldn’t be hard to find you, I’d just follow the trail of
urine. But like all cowards like you that search for the bravery inside
yourself, bravery that doesn’t actually exist, you make your attacks in the
darkness of the Internet where your victims can’t face you down. Your
earlier attacks on me were bad enough (because you were wrong) but to attack
me for standing up against Rape is the lowest thing you can do. But I’m sure
you will find a way to justify that too. You are a coward and while you may
be educated, you are most certainly not intelligent. Most likely because you
have allowed your ego to tell you that you were so smart you no longer had
to learn anything. You are a lowlife, and it may well be that you attacked
my stand on Rape because you don’t believe it is real. Could that be the
reason ‘Brain dead Dave’? Anyone that attacks and abuses someone for
standing up against that crime should lower their heads in disgust and shame
and just walk away. But you will find a way to justify it and you will try
to convince those reading your abuse that you were right. But they will see
what you have written here and know the type of coward and disgraceful human
being you are. I hope one day that someone turns on a light around you so
that you can actually see the person that others see instead of the one that
you have created in your mind. You disgust me, Rape is a crime, and everyone
not only has the right to stand against it in any way and in any place that
they can, but has the moral obligation to do so. I could not care less who
comes out against it, just as long as they do so. Go to hell and burn there
where you belong. Write what you will about me, as you will naturally do, I
will no longer justify your abuse by answering it, I was prepared to do so
for a while when you attacked me for being right in the first place. But
your attack on Rape and who has the right to be against it, I will not
continue to give you your soapbox to spit out the hatred that is obviously
in you. Your comments can be read by others, so you can justify your actions
to them and try to convince them that you meant something else, but they
have your words there to see, the world can see them and see what type of
person posted them. You are filled with so much hate and you spit out abuse
to all around you for fun, you have no right to say anything to me about my
stand, you have no right. Just go away, I do not like being in contact with
someone that feels the way you do about Rape. Even though it is only on the
Web I still feel as though I should have a shower to wash off the stench
that you ooz. I only hope that all that read this and whatever you try to
post to justify your abuse will see the person you are. But like a coward
I’m sure you will just go offline and come back on under a different name.
It’s nice in the shadows isn’t it coward? you can say and do what you like
and nobody can see you. Rape is a crime, a disgusting crime, and we all need
to stand against it and fight it with every ounce of our blood. For those of
you that read this and believe that it is a crime, stand against it where
and when you can. And never allow cowards like this to force your focus from
your belief. Scum like this will one day just fade away but only if we all
stand against them and their hate filled abusive attacks on those of us that
see things that are unfair and unjust and fight against them. I will send
everything to my Junk Email. You sick son of a bitch.

27 Daisy { 02.01.13 at 9:30 am }

Oh dear, on the hate filled attacks.

28 brain dead dave { 02.01.13 at 9:54 am }

Not an ounce of hate in you then, Eddie.

29 brain dead dave { 02.01.13 at 1:50 pm }

Have that shower ,Eddie and then go see a shrink, you pathetic hypocrite.

30 sue { 02.01.13 at 2:35 pm }

WOW sorry eddie you need a life… you read like a very very angry person this site isnt for you…maybe you need to be on oprah

31 Georgie { 02.01.13 at 3:17 pm }

Eddie are you kidding! #15 – “Hate is a very powerful word and I thought that most ADULTS stop using it when they hit about the age of 15 or so.”

But you found a way to replace it with your bile filled diatribe!

32 Billy { 09.26.13 at 7:40 pm }

Oh yeah of course it’s all the editors fault. Bullshit. I witnessed first hand denni hines physically attack the driver of a taxi I was in in the 90s because he accidentally cut in front of her. She jumped out of the car and staring hitting this guy with an Evian bottle. I was in shock. Marcia then got out of the car and was trying to drag her away as she screamed obscenities. She is a very angry person with a massive chip on her houlder, always has been.