The Renovators – The Nail In The Coffin Has Occurred

If the Courier Mail is correct, it would appear The Renovators won’t be renewed this year. The show that launched to much fanfare in 2011 just never managed to get a foothold in the ratings.

This was due to the lack of clarity and consistency in the format, but also The Block was rating well and people at the start of the series did not want to add it in to their reality schedule.

This is a pity as can be seen by the poll on this page on Which Was The Best Australian Reality TV Show of 2011, that The Renovators was very popular with the people that did actually watch it.

The Renovators had the skeleton of being a great reality TV show and with a few format changes I think would have been a ratings winner in 2012. Channel Ten should have seen how Channel Seven stuck with The X Factor and My Kitchen Rules which in 2010 ratings were very average indeed, but this year boomed for them.

It is a pity, but I am sure there will be a new show to fill the void and I am hoping it will be Professional Masterchef.

1 smauge { 12.02.11 at 11:59 am }

Damn, I was hoping that poll might have made a difference. Yes I’m being serious.

2 Georgie { 12.02.11 at 12:16 pm }

Very disappointing news considering some of the crap that’s being dished up to reality audiences.

Is there an assumption in producer land that people who like reality TV will mindlessly watch the crap too?

Do some research FFS.

3 Dakota { 12.02.11 at 12:52 pm }

I’ve noticed that Come Dine With Me isn’t on the poll list? and i’m hoping Channel 10 comes to its senses and puts SYTYCD Back on if they still have the rights!

4 Chunks { 12.02.11 at 1:13 pm }

I suspect that the real estate market has been the nail in the coffin. Prices are falling with no bottom in sight and overcapitalising with renovations is a real no-no. Shame.

5 Culinary Boner { 12.02.11 at 1:30 pm }

Chunks, what you say is true BUT this should give additional motivation to produce a reno program that takes account of these new realities. Challenges like this could actually be the opportunity needed to streamline and focus this show – because it was the show design, not the cast, that was the problem. That is, of course, presuming the fuckheads behind the original concept have either been sacked or been given a hard enough boot up the arse to wake up their brains.

As someone who will need to consider renos to treat essential home maintenance and a better accommodate a growing family in the next couple of years, an entertaining show that models how to do this without over-capitalising would be great viewing. Guess instead I’ll be given lessons on how to administer the perfect turkey slap. What was that Mrs Boner? Gobble, gobble?

6 Maryann { 12.02.11 at 2:37 pm }

I would like to see the return of the Renovators as the changes made towards the end really made the show better. I have noticed that on Twitter Baz is hinting that he has something in the pipeline for 2012 so
I guess we will have to wait & see.

7 Chunks { 12.02.11 at 5:49 pm }

CB, now that’s a reality show I’d like to see: whatever became of… because I’d kill to know what the lives of “John” and “Ashley” were like post-turkey slap. Actually that whole household was kind of interesting. I see Katie the blonde on occasions in Perth and Big Farmer Dave from time to time when I’m in Sydney but would be interested to see where the others ended up.

8 CAM { 12.02.11 at 8:20 pm }

Damn it. Loved the show and agree that with a few tweaks it could have been amazing. It needed to be shown at a different time of year for a start to avoid the clash with the Block…ppl got all reno’ed out (even though I though The Renovators kicked The Block’s arse in terms of show content).
Damn it, damn it.

9 Leop { 12.03.11 at 8:31 am }

Im hugely disappointed; loved the hosts and most of the classy style of the show and we do need shows like this for ideas, DIY etc – look how far Jarrad came with handon renos not bad for someone who was just working as a Real Estate agent – but yes, the show was all over the place – Im sure the writers could do something for 2012 and not put it next to other shows in prime time; let it be a stand alone nightly slot and it will soar