Big Brother – Johnnie Cass Says Being Portrayed As The Villain Was Not Good

Johnnie Cass was one of the more memorable cast members from Season One of Big Brother, he ended up being eliminated the first time he was nominated by the housemates.

However he was well liked by them as it was a few weeks before he was put up for nomination from his peers.

He tells TV WEEK in their Reality TV Ruined My Life article that after he was evicted he did not have a great time of it.

The article said:

Johnnie Cass walked out of the Big Brother house in 2001 to find he’d been dubbed “Johnnie Rotten” and edited to look like the bad guy of the series. He was given a hard time by people on the streets, and went through a period of feeling “deflated” – but he says it inspired him to change his life in a positive way.

Johnnie explains that he “absolutely loved” being on Big Brother, although he was disappointed with the way he was portrayed.

“It’s not really who I am. It was just about ratings, I get that, but it certainly didn’t help,”  he says. “The worst thing about it was the fact I was gay, and it didn’t really have a good stigma for gay guys as well.”

A personal trainer, Johnnie had gone on the show hoping to end up with a career in television – “a talk show would’ve been great” – but it didn’t eventuate.

“Once the media machine pulls away, the challenge with everybody from reality TV is like, ‘Well what’s left?'” he explains . “You’ve been pumped up in the media spotlight and then that’s taken away from you and it can be quite difficult.

“You can’t go back to doing what you were doing before, because everybody knows who you are. You’re kind if left in no-man’s land….I wouldn’t say I was depressed, but I would definitely say I was deflated.

I think that is what is known as having your 15 minutes of fame.

After a quick cyber search it was revealed he is a life coach from the looks of it. He has his own company called Unlimited Success and he does Wealth and Lifestyle seminars.

He was cast as the villain in season one, however what I remember was he was very nice to his fellow contestants but behind their back he was passive aggressive. Or was he just too sickly sweet as that is the vibe I took from his Facebook pages.

1 SED { 12.05.11 at 11:18 pm }

While I have a bit of sympathy for him considering he had no idea what he was getting into (as it was the first BB) – hes gotta admit he must have life a lot better now than before. I mean – a life coach? That’s a pretty sweet deal right there!

Its pretty funny actually – still in my household if someone is being sneaky or two-faced, we say that they are being ‘Johnny’

2 Rachel { 12.05.11 at 11:20 pm }

I don’t remember him as ‘Johnny Rotten’. I remember him being somewhat fake and overly friendly.

3 Marepoppin { 12.05.11 at 11:58 pm }

Naw… so glad Baz Dubois is rating so highly on your Faves poll… fell in like with him during The Renovators; glad most of your readers did too

4 Culinary Boner { 12.06.11 at 9:08 am }

Go Baz…
if they 100% won’t do The Renovators again then I suggest you pitch a show called ‘Rising Damp’ for which I’d like to nominate my home as your first challenge. (Bloody Sydney weather)

5 ruby { 12.06.11 at 12:06 pm }

What I want to know is what happened to Carlo? He was so gross that I still rememberhim :)

6 brain dead dave { 12.06.11 at 3:42 pm }

Life Coach aka Bull$hit Artist.

The real Johnny Rotten had talent,big difference.

7 brain dead dave { 12.06.11 at 4:14 pm }

Also Johnnie, I’d need a “Life Coach” that doesn’t know what a stigma is like Osama Bin Laden needed a hole in the head.

8 Chunks { 12.06.11 at 6:22 pm }

Johnnie is a genuinely nice guy but he did a good job of hiding his true feeling about other housemates. He had some surprising things to say when he was off-stage during his post-BB tour in Perth. His real “least favourite” wasn’t Anita by a long shot.

9 Georgie { 12.07.11 at 9:59 am }

“Once the media machine pulls away, the challenge with everybody from reality TV is like, ‘Well what’s left?”

And after reality shows have gone into the reality hibernation void at the end of the year – what’s left???

Pick up the family history research; start my book; do a uni course; or maybe I’ll go back to work…

10 brain dead dave { 12.07.11 at 4:09 pm }

Plenty of good reality TV to be had this time of year ,Georgie. Why the long face?

Cops, The Verminators, Jail, the one about the Repo People, Pawn Stars. 7 Mate just keeps giving.

11 Izobel2 { 12.07.11 at 4:32 pm }

You forgot the Bachelor on Go! BDD!!

12 Georgie { 12.07.11 at 5:31 pm }

Thanks bdd and Izobel2 – I must admit I haven’t watched any of the ones you’ve mentioned because they sound like crap. If that’s what we’re reduced to we’d better start *laying the blogging boots into them.