11 Kids And Wanting More – The Big Family Reality Show Comes To Lifestyle You Tonight

The large family reality TV genre has been big in the USA. There is Kate Plus 8 and the Duggar Family with 19 Kids And Counting which have both been very successful.

On Discovery Health there are also other shows of this genre, and add in the continual publicity about Octomum it was only a matter of time before an Australian production hit our screens.

And now on Lifestyle You tonight we have 11 Kids and Wanting More based on Dale and Darren Chalk, and Australian family who conceived two lots of quadruplets in a row, plus obviously a few other pregnancies.

I have issues with this large family reality genre, however I did try and watch the preview with an open mind. This did not work, however what it did do was got me thinking about a few issues which is a positive thing.

Firstly about the family – Dale and Darren Chalk had fertility issues and after conceiving via donated sperm a child, they then wanted further children and a fertility clinic gave her drugs plus sperm and she gave birth to four live babies, albeit very much pre-term.

Then again about a month after that she went back to the said clinic and got pregnant again with quads. Only three survived the pregnancy, however she then wanted more, thankfully finally they refused, and they went freestyle and got donated sperm from the internet…..

She now has 11 children but she still wants more, even though her last pregnancy she nearly lost her life.

Here are some issues that I thought about as I watching the show:

• Do we really have the right to have as many children as we want?
  • Who was this fertility clinic and why did they allow a second multiple pregnancy to occur? Have they been investigated as quite frankly I think they have been negligent, good medical treatment must come before profit.
  • The father is working 70 hours a week to try and support the family – so what is the point if you don’t get to be a more hands on father?
  • He earns $1400 a week and the grocery bill is $900, obviously they must be getting some Government support?
  • And why do I feel resentful about that when I firmly have been indulged with middle class welfare?
  • Is it possible to be a good parent to eleven children and be able to nuture them all?
  • How does she stand the noise?
  • Is this woman sane with her desire to have more children? Particularly when there is a risk of her dying leaving the tribe of kids without a mother?

On the plus side, she was articulate and appeared to be a good mother. She was organised, loving and pretty unfrazzled considering. The children appeared to be well behaved and really sweet so she must be doing something right.

An interesting issue was they had not told the kids they have been conceived from donated sperm. They said they will tell them when they are older. Well hopefully they won’t being seeing the show as they may just find out then, or be told in the school yard from the other kids that have seen the show.

The last few kids have been conceived at home via donor sperm – and there are no contracts with the said donor so there could be legal issues in the future. She said “It was a heat of them moment so I didn’t think about it [doing a contract]”. All I could think of was “heat of the moment” sweetheart you were conceiving by a turkeybaster.

My personal prejudices mean I did not like the show, nor think that these large families should be glamourised. However was it thought provoking? You bet it was.

11 Kids And Wanting More on Lifestyle You – Thursday 8 December at 9.30pm

1 PatrikIanPolk: RT @ohnotheydidnt: Magic Johnson Recruits Rappers To Tackle Homophobia in the Hip-Hop Community Read more? http://t.co/CAUvCilj « vebebilida { 12.31.11 at 11:20 am }

[…] asana als disease brittany norwood lindsay lohan condoleezza rice road house Share this:TwitterFacebookLike […]

2 Tessa { 04.20.12 at 11:29 am }

Leave the poor family in peace….. people should not be judged by the amount of kids they have if there is love and those kids seem very happy indeed….my dad born 1914 was the youngest of 16 children and all became adults with families of their own, (I have many cousins), and maybe my gran did not use Dale’s and Darren’ s methods but when you have a body that can produce so many wanted kids???? why not??? If I had the possiblility to have had many kids I would do it in a heartbeat but not all can be that lucky…. In Finland some families have very many kids ( 6, 7, 10) and it does not seem weird at all….Some kiddie grows up an only child and does not get half that much love and attention as those 11 happy looking kids, … don’t condemn couples who want big families, if they have the possibility, bless them all…

3 Norwegiangirl { 08.30.12 at 6:19 pm }

Oh, yes, even here in Norway we get to see the “lovely” Chalk family on tv!

4 A.P { 08.30.12 at 7:57 pm }

Wish I would have seen this back then. Its been interesting reading all the comments. I think they are selfish as I have someone in my family who have been trying for years to have just one baby and can’t.
This family should stop now and be grateful for what they have.

5 tony clarke { 01.10.13 at 12:11 pm }

would she be keen to have more babies if centrelink didnt pay baby bonuses ? um prob not.. its pathetic that the spineless husband works very long hours and prob puts his hand up for every bit of overtime, while the wife is at home , shopping for sperm on the internet.. hey chalks…. think of the environment and not yoursellf all the time.. 11 is already way to many. enough is enough. no more centrelink handouts after 3 kids should be the rules.. this govt pandering to all the do godders and .. its our rights brigade…

6 Daisy { 01.10.13 at 12:29 pm }

Using your kids (under 18s) for reality doesn’t sit right with me. For instance how will those two precocious, loud mouth girls who appear on Ellen adjust to their teens and adulthood. Shudder.
No no no to being blind to your child’s healthy social, emotional development in order to make $$$$$$.
If children are involved in any pursuits such as sport, acting, dancing or modelling it should not sabotage their childhood.

7 A.P { 01.10.13 at 12:35 pm }

They can have a million kids if they want, but just don’t expect Centrelink to pay for them, yes people in the olden days had bigger families but the pill wasn’t around then and there were no government hand outs either.

8 norway { 03.17.13 at 5:18 am }

Aaand she is pregnant again! A¨She seems like an awful woman and an awful mother. I have four children, so I too am over the norm, but 12 kids is insane.

9 Anonymous { 03.17.13 at 11:10 am }

Dale actually has had another baby born approx a week ago prob not even that, And also she is a wonderful person to talk to and also is a good mother, so you have no right to sit there & say that she is an awful mother ect ect, Don’t judge a person when you truly don’t know them, once again it’s their life their choice, yes i am pissed off that myself & my partner work for our living so ALL people on centrelink really gets to me big time, i work 12hour days and my partner well he works pretty much all the time he is never home, but once again this is the choice we have made to give our children a better life. I do believe that centrelink need to really look at all the money they are giving out to people but we all know it’s not going to change. Back on the subject of Dale alot of you are judging a person you have never met in your life, why sit there and judge, whats that old saying Never judge a book by it’s cover, Dale might not look like a good person with all those piercings in her face but she is actually a kind lady…

10 Cecilia { 03.17.13 at 6:50 pm }

“Never judge a book by it’s cover”.

I don’t think it says that. More like “its cover”.

I couldn’t care less about piercings or botox. I judge (as you call it) people based on their actions, not their looks.
From what I see on tv, she seems horrible. No interactions with her children and no love.

11 tony clarke { 03.17.13 at 10:40 pm }

I wish they could sterilise that dale and save us taxpayers some money.. whats the wimp husband doing now..? helping her track down some sperm that she can inject herself with… U better ask for more overtime u fool.. she is just trying to be a .. individual with the tatts and nails and what ever.. her pek is prob as large as a bowling ball by now.

12 Anonymous { 03.17.13 at 11:00 pm }

Tony who are you calling a fool?? the ARMY doesn’t pay over time ya fool. Cecilia that’s what i was getting at you do judge & it’s people like you that judge others b4 actually knowing your facts first, There is alot of love in that family, the kids are always clean & dressed good, they are all very well mannered, When ever i see Dale with her kids all you see is love, I’v seen worse parents out there then Dale. Should she have more kids NO i think she has enough kids but who are we all to judge some one just because we don’t agree with what they are doing..

13 Anonymous { 03.17.13 at 11:12 pm }

To Anonymous… I think u should get your facts straight.. The husband works as a ambulance person.. They showed him on.. Today Tonight.. umm maybe im judging them a bit harsh.. but bloody hell. she seems so selfish , and there is NO way she can give all the attention to all those kids.. and look after him as well.Love doesnt pay the bills.. We have an organisation called Centrelink that does that here in Australia.. Im not wasting anymore time commenting on these Breeders called …. the chalks….

14 Anonymous { 03.18.13 at 10:42 am }

I do have my facts straight, i wasn’t saying the husband is in the Army, i was relating to my above comment my partner is in the ARMY, i know what the Chalk family does, my children go to the same school as their children, and yes i agree love does not pay the bills, but what i am getting at is people shouldn’t judge just by looking at a person, I came from a very very bad family my parents had 6 kids & i had 2 half sisters as well, my mum didn’t work & my dad well he was pathetic on drugs & drinking every day & my childhood was not a life i would wish upon my worst nightmare, But i am now grown up have 2 kids of my own & a great life, i have everything i could wish for, i work full time, look after my kids which includes taking my son to all his specialist appointments as he has russell-silver syndrome & heart conditions as well as making sure our family home is spotless whilst my partner is pretty much never home due to his job, My point is why judge some one from they way they look or their family, as i had a pretty bad life growing up & now i’m living a fantastic life.. And i know what centrelink is i live in Australia and my parents were on that payment & to be honest i can’t stand people living off centrelink & frauding the system but like i said above CENTRELINK isnt going to change… The chalks although you & others can have an opinion about them, there is NO reason at all why a person who doesn’t know them at all can say she is a bad mother..

15 A.P { 03.18.13 at 1:00 pm }

I’ve just watched this show again on Foxtel and what amazes me is that not once do they mention how much money they get from Centrelink which would be a fortune with so many kids.
Darren even says near the end that its no one’s business how many kids they have when in fact it is when they get so much support from centrelink.
Why were they offered all this fertility treatment, there should be a limit on how many kids they can have.
None of these kids will get the attention they deserve, imagine when they are teenagers.
It makes me sad for my son and wife who have tried years to have just one baby and can’t, and Dale will never be satisfied with what she has.

16 Anonymous { 03.18.13 at 1:05 pm }

Who cares … Who are you to say whats right and wrong … I wouldn’t do it myself , but I don’t have a problem with people making here own choices in life either .. I have no problem with it . Cause it’s not my life.. Pretty sad all You’s want to do is whinge ..

17 A.P { 03.18.13 at 1:33 pm }

Well, we are all entitled to our opinion Anonymous.
That’s what this blog is all about and at least most of us leave a name, not just anonymous.

18 Georgie { 03.18.13 at 2:06 pm }

Who cares you say Anonymous Jess? Well I do for one, because I’m one of the poor mug taxpayers, who pick up the tab for the Centrelink family support and the IVF treatment program.

There’s absolutely no valid reason for having this many children – it’s irresponsible for a whole lot of reasons and if you already have a few healthy children, then it’s also an abuse of the IVF program.

Pure and utter, ego driven, self-indulgence – nothing more.

19 A.P { 03.18.13 at 2:11 pm }

Thanks Georgie!
My son and wife are now looking into being foster parents, its one way of helping other poor kids getting a better start in life, maybe this is what Dale should do to satisfy her maternal instincts?

20 Georgie { 03.18.13 at 2:21 pm }

A.P, I’m always impressed by those parents who foster children because they have big warm hearts and homes. I agree, if Dale has the capacity to love and care for any more children than she’s already got, fostering would be a good way for her to express it.

21 Andrew { 10.16.13 at 10:41 pm }

I must admit that I watched the show when it originally aired and was horrified by it and the sheer fallacy of it and how the family were portrayed as being functional. The Chalk family live two streets away from me and attend the same local school where my child goes. Let’s just say that her children are quite the bully at school, kicking others in the groin and making nasty comments and harassing others yet they get away with it because they are a ‘mock celebrity’ family that the school wants to keep around. A friend of mine lives just down the road from them and constantly hears Dale screaming at the kids…let’s also not forget that cute montage of Dale walking all her ducklings to school (what a farce, she rarely does that at all and that is always left to the grandparents. Dale has a sickness and it is that she likes being pregnant cause beyond that she is as useless as tits on a bull.

22 max croft { 10.17.13 at 5:08 pm }

every time someone says something on here, the bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork and tell us to leave the poor chalks alone.. well its people like them who are destroying the planet.. stop breeding. also why doesn’t the spineless husband say, enough is enough. she shops for sperm online while he is at work..