11 Kids And Wanting More – The Big Family Reality Show Comes To Lifestyle You Tonight
The large family reality TV genre has been big in the USA. There is Kate Plus 8 and the Duggar Family with 19 Kids And Counting which have both been very successful.
On Discovery Health there are also other shows of this genre, and add in the continual publicity about Octomum it was only a matter of time before an Australian production hit our screens.
And now on Lifestyle You tonight we have 11 Kids and Wanting More based on Dale and Darren Chalk, and Australian family who conceived two lots of quadruplets in a row, plus obviously a few other pregnancies.
I have issues with this large family reality genre, however I did try and watch the preview with an open mind. This did not work, however what it did do was got me thinking about a few issues which is a positive thing.
Firstly about the family – Dale and Darren Chalk had fertility issues and after conceiving via donated sperm a child, they then wanted further children and a fertility clinic gave her drugs plus sperm and she gave birth to four live babies, albeit very much pre-term.
Then again about a month after that she went back to the said clinic and got pregnant again with quads. Only three survived the pregnancy, however she then wanted more, thankfully finally they refused, and they went freestyle and got donated sperm from the internet…..
She now has 11 children but she still wants more, even though her last pregnancy she nearly lost her life.
Here are some issues that I thought about as I watching the show:
- Do we really have the right to have as many children as we want?
- Who was this fertility clinic and why did they allow a second multiple pregnancy to occur? Have they been investigated as quite frankly I think they have been negligent, good medical treatment must come before profit.
- The father is working 70 hours a week to try and support the family – so what is the point if you don’t get to be a more hands on father?
- He earns $1400 a week and the grocery bill is $900, obviously they must be getting some Government support?
- And why do I feel resentful about that when I firmly have been indulged with middle class welfare?
- Is it possible to be a good parent to eleven children and be able to nuture them all?
- How does she stand the noise?
- Is this woman sane with her desire to have more children? Particularly when there is a risk of her dying leaving the tribe of kids without a mother?
On the plus side, she was articulate and appeared to be a good mother. She was organised, loving and pretty unfrazzled considering. The children appeared to be well behaved and really sweet so she must be doing something right.
An interesting issue was they had not told the kids they have been conceived from donated sperm. They said they will tell them when they are older. Well hopefully they won’t being seeing the show as they may just find out then, or be told in the school yard from the other kids that have seen the show.
The last few kids have been conceived at home via donor sperm – and there are no contracts with the said donor so there could be legal issues in the future. She said “It was a heat of them moment so I didn’t think about it [doing a contract]”. All I could think of was “heat of the moment” sweetheart you were conceiving by a turkeybaster.
My personal prejudices mean I did not like the show, nor think that these large families should be glamourised. However was it thought provoking? You bet it was.
11 Kids And Wanting More on Lifestyle You – Thursday 8 December at 9.30pm