Julie Goodwin Fires Back At Sunday Telegraph Columnist Ros Reines

Ros Reines in the Sunday Telegraph (no link to original story online) fires a shot at Julie Goodwin about her appearance on the cover of last weeks New Idea and Julie Goodwin quite rightly fires back

Ros Reines who normally does an entertaining if slighty snarky weekly column starts off her article talking about the naked Deborah Hutton picture on the cover of Woman’s Weekly and how it was photoshopped.

However then she goes on to talk about last week’s New Idea cover which featured Julie Goodwin, Jesinta Campbell, Brynne Edelsten and Cornelia Frances in swimsuits, and lambasts Julie about her weight and how it is unhealthy.

Personally I think a picture of a normal woman on the cover in a swimsuit does more for making me feel more comfortable in my skin, then seeing a very hot model in the form of Deborah Hutton. I know I can never be like Deborah Hutton even photoshopped and the cover did not resonate with me, just as the the non-photoshopped Sarah Murdoch cover didn’t as well.  There gorgeous and models doesn’t matter what they are wearing.

However Julie standing there next to Jesinta Campbell made me think good on you and maybe women should be less critical about our own and others body image.

Anyway the Masterchef Australia Season One winner decided to fire back in her blog , which is the beauty of social media anyone can have a voice.

She writes:

“Predictably, gossip columnist Ros Reines has once again taken aim at my appearance because I do not fit her perception of what is healthy.

“However, it fascinates me that my health can be commentated by someone who has absolutely no medical data on me.

“I am grateful to my body, for the three children it has given me, for its strength and ability to work long hard hours, and for its robust good health,” she said

“It is well and truly time that we stopped approaching health with a cookie-cutter mentality  as in, thinner equals healthier, larger equals unhealthier.

“Its also dangerous as young girls opt for radical diet and drug options to be thin and fit the medias portrayal of health and beauty.

“It is shallow to suggest that we are all the same in body type and only people who overeat and are lazy might be bigger than a magazine model.

“Being thin and unfit has been found to be more dangerous to health than being overweight but fit.” she said.

Goodwin said she decided to pose for New Idea to help celebrate the difference between people.

“I did it for all the little teapots out there short and stout. And for anyone else who feels judged critically by other people. We should all be able to be comfortable in our own skin despite what uninformed media commentators write. “I celebrate the differences between people. I try very hard not to judge people by the way they look  because nobody knows anyone elses full story.

“As far as what I owe to myself and my children, I owe them food that is cooked from scratch, using as many fresh ingredients and as few additives as possible.

“I owe them mealtimes around the family table. I owe them the very best of myself, which includes keeping myself healthy via plenty of exercise, fresh air, fresh food and laughter.

“ I owe them a safe home and a community surrounding them that loves them. And I owe it to them to be self-confident and self-loving so that they can feel the same no matter whether or not they end up looking like Brad Pitt.

It appears Julie has a lot of support for her out there on this issue as it is going viral on Twitter and on Facebook. Maybe Ros as penance should pose in her swimsuit….

1 CG { 01.08.12 at 11:24 pm }

Good on ‘ya, Julie. Perfect response. I recall a few days ago that Ms Reines was tweeting about how “delicious” and “amazing” some disgusting Jenny Craig 100% processed crap-ola 2-calorie snack thingy was. Ros Reines has plenty of celebrity antics to write about. To pick on Julie’s brave swimsuit cover is cowardly and low rent!

2 Nicole { 01.08.12 at 11:34 pm }

Totally agree with u RR and Julie. RR did u mean Jen Hawkins not Sarah Murdoch who posed for Marie Claire?

3 Lebay { 01.08.12 at 11:38 pm }

Good on Julie! Her response was great and very true. I am sick to death of my value as a person being made up of the size of my ass, and so very sick of the concern trolls telling me (and Julie, and anyone else that is bigger than they feel acceptable) all about my health. I have a doctor for that, thanks anyway…

4 bettwettiwoo { 01.08.12 at 11:50 pm }

Haha: ‘ Maybe Ros as penance should pose in her swimsuit….’ Perfect!

(And frankly, I don’t understand Ms Reines’ criticism. Julie Goodwin looks like a normal, healthy, non-model-skinny woman to me. Good on her for not taking such silly nonsense lying down, either, but firing back with a well-argued, thoughtful response.)

5 Reality Raver { 01.09.12 at 12:07 am }

Nicole – No I was talking about the Sarah Murdoch cover which was not photoshopped. She still looked gorgeous. But I had forgotten about the Jen Hawkins one. Again same feeling towards that one, has no impact on my body image what so ever.

6 Maz { 01.09.12 at 12:11 am }
7 TMC { 01.09.12 at 7:47 am }
8 Leop { 01.09.12 at 9:14 am }

Julie has a healthy attitude about herself – who is Ros anyway and has she made $3.7m sales from her ‘columns’?

9 Maid In Australia { 01.09.12 at 10:26 am }

Agreed. I applaud Julie for being on the cover (and New Idea for making new ground here), and I have to say she is every bit as beautiful as the others, maybe me. Not just that she looks healthy, happy and is glowing. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and it’s about time all media started celebrating that. Go Julie, you rock.

10 Mrs T { 01.09.12 at 10:51 am }

It would have taken some courage for Julie to pose there next to those other bikini clad women. A lot of Australian women look like her and its frustrating that the media like to pretent otherwise.

11 Culinary Boner { 01.09.12 at 10:58 am }
12 smauge { 01.09.12 at 11:18 am }

I actually sent a tweet to Julie about this saying she could always take a pot at Reines and her freaky post-plastic-surgery looks. And I think Julie is beaming (NOT high-beaming!) in that cover.
HOWEVER, to claim that she is perfectly healthy I find hard to swallow (excuse the pun). Fat around the middle has been found to increase your risk of heart disease and by the looks of that photo, that is what Julie is carrying around with her.
It is great to put ladies of all shapes and sizes on magazine covers but I think it’s highly misleading to hold her up as a bastion of health and beauty. Yes , she is more like “the average woman” in this country, but our country’s battle with obesity is not something to be proud of.
Don’t look to Jesinta, Sarah, Deborah or Jen as a role model for body shape, but don’t look at Julie as that either. Look to your own height and weight, BMI and family history, and set your own goals for health on your own stats.
Having said that, if Julie and Rotweiler Reines got into a ring together I’d be barracking for Julie all the way!

13 Nicole { 01.09.12 at 3:48 pm }

I just saw the Murdoch cover. She looks good and I would love to see less photo shopping. But magazines cant say these women represent the average woman. And what is this Ros bird on about anyway if she just dropped 20 kilos herself? She’ll be lucky if she doesnt put it all back on by years end.

14 Leop { 01.09.12 at 5:19 pm }

The two gorgeous bigger girls from Winners & Losers are on this weeks cover of TV Week (yes I know I know, I still buy it & love it) Am loving that mags are starting to embrace the real woman – I can’t identify with cobweb thin women – who can, really?

15 smauge { 01.09.12 at 8:26 pm }

The stick insect models do bother me, but what really tips me over the edge is the photoshopping. it’s gotten beyond a joke.

16 Sue { 01.10.12 at 9:55 am }

I agree wholeheartedly with JG – RR is not a doctor and I actually work with a couple of “skinny” people who are on cholestrol tablets because their cholestrol is so high so RR should learn to think before she opens her mouth. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones – is she a perfect specimen???????????

17 Leop { 01.10.12 at 10:03 am }

On ACA last night RR said she was ‘concerned’ for Julie’s mid section; hasnt she got other things to be concerned about? As in, get a life RR. Just read Julie’s blog, and some 350 responses in support of her – and the great cover NI did

18 Culinary Boner { 01.10.12 at 10:22 am }

Taking my cue from Ros’ concern about other women’s bits, can I express my concern for Brynne’s norks?

I’m worried Dr Geoffrey may not be giving them the one-on-one time they need.

19 brain dead dave { 01.10.12 at 4:08 pm }

The claims of robust good health are like JG herself…massively inflated. Fancy getting on the cover of New Idea when you’re looking like a Russian weightlifter.

20 Culinary Boner { 01.11.12 at 9:24 am }

Dean Lukin (1984 version) lives!!!

21 Georgie { 01.11.12 at 10:18 am }

Built like a Tassie devil.

22 Leop { 01.11.12 at 11:09 am }

Culinary Boner, please rest easy, Im sure Dr Geoffrey is giving Brynne’s norks all the time they need.

What I want to see is is more covers of ‘real’ Australian women, not photoshopped and no more matchsticks – as women we have an unhealthy attitude about our bits that needs to be changed and change comes from featuring women like Julie and the glampots from Winners&Losers (TV week cover) more often – KAK, Kate Cebrano, etc never got such a media whip lashing nor did Maggie T come to think of it. What the hell did Julie do to stir those nasties from that vile Ros ‘wo-man’?

23 Culinary Boner { 01.11.12 at 11:31 am }

Leop, I remain deeply concerned Brynne’s norks are feeling neglected *sigh* and, unlike Julie Goodwin’s gut, are not getting the national media attention they deserve.

Georgie, Julie may indeed be the Tassie Devil, but Sonia Kruger outshines her as the Map of Tassie Devil – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NReb743MflM

24 Moo { 01.11.12 at 12:21 pm }

I don’t know why Julie Goodwin keeps popping up here and there in magazines and television shows. Nobody cares about that whale anymore.

I laughed when I saw the picture of a cake just below her picture. Says it all.

25 Reality Raver { 01.11.12 at 12:36 pm }

Moo – missed the cake well spotted.

26 brain dead dave { 01.11.12 at 3:58 pm }

I’m going to check out at the newsagent and see if JG’s moustache has been airbrushed in that disturbing photo.

I do wonder how much No Idea paid her for that…..hopefully not by the kilo.

27 brain dead dave { 01.12.12 at 4:02 pm }

It would add more ballast to her argument if the Heart Foundation for example would give a tick of approval to her suicide by food cookbooks.

28 Best of the Interwebs! « thescarletapple { 01.14.12 at 2:00 am }

[…] A Broader View of Broader People – Julie Goodwin. Ms. Goodwin stripped down to her bathing suit with three other women for a body love feature on the cover of Australian tabloid mag New Idea, and the criticisms ranged from praise to downright nasty due to Ms. Goodwins size. This is her rather eloquent response. Unfortunately a link to the original online article from a Australian columnist responsible for the  most vitriolic attack cannot be found, and I apologise for that, but here is a rundown! […]

29 I A. Hawkins { 01.15.12 at 10:13 am }

Well, Ros, speaking of pics being photoshopped, what a shame the Aust. W.W didn’t photoshop your granite like facial features, in this months mag. You may have lost some weight – which is good – now lose the caustic, hostile and cruel remarks.

30 Fran { 07.15.12 at 11:57 pm }

Maybe Julie Badwin can sweat and cry her way out of this one.
She looked bloated on MasterCrap and she still looks bloated in a bather.
Her excuse for being a ‘Baby Rhino’ (not the real four legged kind) is the fact that she has sacrificed her virginity to bear 3 children and slave over the kitchen bench top for her family.
Wow! A real Womens Weekly, housewife, super-special Mother Tampon!

In a previous life, Julie Goodwins other claim to fame was as a painters Model for Peter Paul Rubens.
In a further previous life, Julie Goodwins other claim to fame was as the inspiration for the Michelin man.
Yet still, in another previous life, Julie Goodwin was a perverse anti-influence to anorexics who after seeing her example of plump healthiness, decided to continuously fast and diet because their potential love-handles would upon exerting their torso a little, cause them to sweat profusely and cry.

31 brain dead dave { 07.16.12 at 12:09 pm }

“How do think Julie’s husband and boys feel when they read your mucky comments about their loved one.?”

I suspect they feel just as lethargic and bloated as they always do ,eating the lard and sugar loaded diet Jumbo Jools is killing them with.

32 brain dead dave { 07.16.12 at 12:37 pm }

A picture may paint a thousand words but that photo screams a thousand kilos, thanks to the baby rhino.

33 Janenowdaisy { 11.17.12 at 3:40 pm }

If JG is happy to carry that weight aound body, I don’t begrudge her. Although I have heard often enough that carrying a lot of weight around your middle indicates a risk of heart disease. I’d be happier to look like Jacinta. I’m just not a fan of the round body and skinny arms and legs. Each to their own. If you’re going to talk about honest photography, I think it’s worth being honest in what we really think is an attractive body shape. For some that might mean looking like a stick insect and for others that might mean looking like a bug.