Wife Swap Australia – Montford’s Versus The Barry’s
Wife Swap Australia kicked off tonight, with the Montford wife swapping with the Barry’s.
The wives were swapped into each other lives for a week and it is not as confronting or as full of conflict as some epsiodes (next week is a humdinger) , however there were some interesting moments.
On the US version they are swapped for two weeks, and to be honest they should have done that here. This would really push the families to breaking point and also ensure they gain that self awareness which is one of the outcomes most people get when on this show.
The Montfords are well off or as I like to say nouveau riche (money off the mining boom?) and the Barry’s who are very working class and appear to live from week to week.
Previously I have written about why this show is reality TV gold so will just concentrate more on what occurred this episode.
One issue it does raise is whether class divide is based on money or education. In this episode even though Stephanie would appear to have the same educational background as Nicola she thinks she is superior because her greater bank account balance.
However if you removed the money and the tattoos they both appeared pretty similar.
The other difference is their philosophy on housework. Stephanie is a clean freak and Nicola well not so much.
Thoughts on the episode:
- Can’t help being judgemental about booze and ciggies budget being higher than the food budget;
- If your food budget is between $100 and $120 there is no way you could shop at Coles, but also how do you spend $500 on a weekly food budget?
- Also Nicola came across much more motivated once she was in the new house, as previously she had slept in and sent her young kids to school without breakfast;
- Alex the teen daughter will be totally embarrassed how she came across, particularly the scene in St Vinnies – she is a super brat;
- Thankfully she was shown at the end getting a job to ensure she wasn’t going to be totally vilified
- Conversely eldest son Josh seems like a sweetie;
- Considering Stephanie spent a lot of money on clothes she didn’t look like money;
- Simon seemed nice but was a workaholic and the change instigated where he picked up the kids from school was a good one;
- Also Stephanie cleaning the house did them a huge favour it appeared to energise the Barry’s;
It was a nice ending to an episode and it was nice to see the show has had some long term positive impacts on both families.
What did you think?