Cricket Superstar – Burnt-out

The final 15 check into their luxury mansion but stumble when they have to explain why they should be captain.  The boys meet their mentor for the series, Graham Manou, before they take on their first match of the series.

Well, I didn’t make it to the first match of the series.  The synopsis of the episode sums up what I did see fairly accurately, though.  The mansion had all the trappings of luxury – marble entry, sweeping staircase, manicured lawns, a pool – and most of the final fifteen summed up their suitability for the role of captain with a series of variations on the syllable “um”.  Oh, and they met Graham Manou.

Then there was a lot of smoke, the sound of approaching fire engines, and then the luxury mansion was evacuated for… a challenge that was going to focus on “communication”.  And that’s when I turned off.  Sure, there seemed to be a lack of urgency during the evacuation that hinted that the guys were aware that it was a set-up, but that only makes it more pointless, doesn’t it?

Not interested.  Goodbye, Cricket Superstar, perhaps I’ll see one or more of the fifteen in the baggy green one day. Or, if not, in some Big Bash pyjamas.

At least I watched for long enough to have the life of a pro-cricketer summed up for me in one word.  “Freebies!”  Thanks, Lee.

1 Cricket Superstar - Burnt-out | ...blah blog blah... { 01.12.12 at 5:28 pm }

[…] This item has been cross-posted over at Reality Ravings. […]

2 Reality Raver { 01.13.12 at 11:54 am }

thanks for the blog post injera much appreciated.

3 Georgie { 01.13.12 at 1:57 pm }

Thanks for the summary Injera – I don’t feel so bad now, not having Foxtel.

Now back to the 3rd Test at the Waca.

4 brain dead dave { 01.13.12 at 3:40 pm }

Glad I didn’t see this. I’d retire hurt.

Thanks Injera.

5 sue N { 01.13.12 at 9:18 pm }

Personally I have seen far worse on TV- think of (sadly) my daughter’s damned obsession with the super fake super trashy super stupid kardashians…arggghhhh.

at least these kids are really trying to do well at cricket, even if their “acting” skills are pretty sad!

Lee Furlong speaks a bit oddly too- can’t quite work it out, but maybe it is the overbite from the ever so trendy capped teeth (miaow ;-)) (think Jack Vidgen and Jodi Gordon…

anyway, back to cricket superstar- to me it is a harmless enough bit of time watching some kids try to do well at something- not such a bad thing :)

6 Injera { 01.14.12 at 9:39 am }

Georgia – better make the most of the test at the WACA – could be over pretty soon!

BDD – it’s a public service I’m offering here 😉

Sue N – Totally agree that it’s not the trashiest TV available, but I was hoping for a lot more. I guess I’m disappointed that they have shifted too far from cricket too soon. The boys seem really likeable and I think the format of the show lets them down. Sure, it wouldn’t be all that engaging to watch weeks of drills, practice matches, etc, but to focus on “communication” as a theme in the first week of final 15 and have the ridiculous theatrics of the “fire” was too much not-cricket for this viewer!