Excess Baggage and The Biggest Loser – Singles Are Going Head To Head

Channel Nine has announced it will be starting Excess Baggage on Monday 30 January at 7pm so will place the fat busting shows in direct competition. (Source: Sunday Telegraph)

Channel Ten is kicking of The Biggest Loser the week before on the 23 January to try and get an early start on luring the reality TV fan in.

It will be fat and single versus celebrities and real life people wanting real life transformations.

Excess Baggage’s advantage is that it will have real life personalities and exotic Australian locations, however The Biggest Loser have real people who desperately want to change their lives which resonates well with the viewers.

Ironically Ajay Rochester who is one of the celebrities involved in Excess Baggage will be going head to head with a show she used to host.

However a Biggest Loser production source was getting bitchy about her comment on the Excess Baggage ad where she says “she had to starve herself for the show” with them saying she was first in line at catering. Ouch the gloves are now off. (Source: Daily Telegraph)

The Sunday Telegraph also says that two couples may have hooked up on the show already.

Which fat busting show will you be watching? Of course I will be watching both.

1 Ben { 01.15.12 at 9:57 am }

I’m 99% sure the Thr Biggest Loser is a Shine show isn’t it?

I’ve also heard the this show was developed by Granada, but Nine took it away from them and gave it to Fremantle after the CEO of Fremantle offered to package The Celeb apprentice and Excess Baggage at a reduced rate.

Interesting stuff

2 Marepoppin { 01.15.12 at 10:30 am }

Im watching BL. For some reason I dont watch reality shows on 9. BL is the original and the best

3 Remued { 01.15.12 at 10:56 am }

I’m going to watch/tweet fatties live and watch Excess Baggage later. Channel 9 did a previous version with Merv Hughes & Ita (?) from memory it was pretty bad.

4 Michael { 01.15.12 at 11:47 am }

Excess baggage celebs will be tweeting live during episodes – so maybe you should watch eb live and tweet with them

5 smauge { 01.15.12 at 12:12 pm }

I have a TiVo so I’ll be watching both.

6 librarygirl { 01.15.12 at 1:10 pm }

Will have a look at BL. Cannot bear Channel 9.
Thankfully the BL is back to singles and not the dreadful families format which didn’t work at all last season.

7 brain dead dave { 01.15.12 at 4:15 pm }

Head to head or butt to butt?

I’ll do whatever it takes to watch The Biggest Loser every night.

Fatties on the treadmills and me on the couch, eating and laughing at them.

8 SEDI { 01.15.12 at 6:44 pm }

@Remued – that’s right, it was called ‘Celebrity Overhaul’ and was DISMAL, one of the worst reality shows Ive seen to date. It did have Ita in it I think for Season 2, and I think Fabio even came out and did one season!

Here is the wiki link:

9 Lebay { 01.15.12 at 6:59 pm }

Oh God I hate this time of the year, as a fattie myself, Im over my fellow fatties watching TBL and spending all day at work discussing TBL, buying the TBL meal replacements, and whining that they dont work. Then on the other side of the office is the non fatties, laughing at every tear, fall and weigh in…

TBL is not about helping anyone, its about making money via the merch, and letting non fatties laugh….

Needless to say I wont be watching either.

10 Culinary Boner { 01.15.12 at 10:31 pm }

Have I mentioned that Ajay gives me the horn? Do I watch EB and alarm the cat and Mrs Boner? Or do I watch TBL and endure a soft-on induced by Michelle, Tiffany and Sergeant Buzzcut’s abs?

11 Rob { 01.16.12 at 10:00 am }

EB looks like the comedy piss-take of TBL. There’s only so much “woe is me, it’s hard because I’m fat” I can take. Pretty sure Darryn Lyons will be a perfect villain.