Wife Swap Australia – Peter Is One Of The Biggest Dickheads Seen On TV

To think when this episode started I thought Leanne King cleaning nazi was going to be the villain of the piece. In fact it was Peter Xanti who has got to be the biggest tool on a reality TV show in the last year or in fact in the history of the genre.

The issue was he was not even making it up his persona – it was him.

The only reason I can think he and his wife Bernadette went on Wife Swap Australia was to promote their music.  They play in an acoustic medieval trio. Not a big market for that type of music, in fact they could barely rustle up double figures when they were busking in Adelaide mall.

Peter also occasionally plays drums in a Black Sabbath cover band. Peter does not much else.  His excuse was “Work stunts your growth mentally and creatively”.  Even the loser singer from the rockumentary Anvil had a job.

Bernadette’s biological clock must have been ticking as this guy has always been a dickhead. He lived at home until he was 42 years of age, and then he moved in with her. They had Piper and then another baby who was pretty expressionless most of the episode it must be because when he is looking after him he was placed in his room.

He classified himself as a stay at home dad, and Bernadette worked part time for a confection company.

In fact by the time Leanne King moved in with him for a week I was cheering for her. And what perfect casting.

Leanne was an uptight cleaning machine who had an over the top regimented daily routine, not just for herself but for family as well. Also her motto was “work, ethics, morals’ and of course she had no time for people on welfare… I note she made no mention of middle class welfare that her family probably receives.

Leanne because she was too busy playing with her Mr Sheen (that was no euphemism) that her daughters were little rebellions in waiting, and her husband had lost his gonads a few years back.

So she moved in with Peter and it was game on.

It did not take her long to crack – first she said she had come from the penthouse to the shithouse.  She also realised that “this guy is the biggest wanker”.

Basically she was horrified at the way the kids had to fend for themselves Piper fed the two-year-old breakfast.

The biggest anticipation was when it was time for the new rules of the house. She came out blasting “You are a balding middle aged man, not Jim Morrison”. Also she said he had to quit smoking, get a haircut and a job. Fast forward less then 24 hours and she was turfed about by him. Clearly his man hood had been hurt.

Bernadette who had done some lovely stuff with her two daughters and had toned down the cleaning routine was upset when she turned up for the chat across the table and Peter had not turned up, and also walked out once Leanne started giving her some home truths about him.

Ironically Leanne could not handle any home truths about some of her own parenting habits, like not attending netball games or allowing her kids friends to come and visit.

Anyhow Peter thought he was quite justifiable that he did not turn up. In the follow up it was surprising Bernadette was still with him.

He proudly proclaimed to camera that he had held down a job for three days. Apparently the work dried up after that.

1 Sonia { 01.16.12 at 9:56 pm }

Such a wanker and everything Leanne said was spot on but she was abit OT with her poor girls and the cleaning. I think its fine to give you kids chores but if they are doing 22 of them that is far too many. Loving this series

2 Rachel { 01.16.12 at 10:58 pm }

It’s so sad to see an adult, capable of working and looking after his children, bludging on the lounge all day.
Yes, you can be creative and follow your dreams but life is about responsibilities as well.
I didn’t like when Leanne took the daughters cat away. That was awful. That poor child was breaking her heart.
Leanne needs to realise that being clean is one thing, but we are only on this planet for a short time – enjoy your children.

3 Esther { 01.17.12 at 7:52 am }

One thing these two families had in common was that neither ever ate at a table. It was breakfast, lunch and dinner on laps.

4 Gillian { 01.17.12 at 8:17 am }

I thought Leanne was really unlikeable. Like you Rachel, I didn’t like it when she took the cat away. Poor Piper lost her mum for a week, gets no support from her dad and then her cat is sent into exile. All Leanne needed to do was to show Piper how to clean the kitty litter. It showed me how heartless Leanne was a person and she was very arrogant thinking that her family was perfect.

It stands to reason if you’re picked as a family to appear on the show that there are things about the way you run your household that you can improve upon. I felt so sorry for Bernadette especially when she had to appear at the table meeting by herself – that kind of sums up Peter in a nutshell.

I also thought it was interesting that Leanne’s family didn’t eat at the table as well. Wouldn’t it be cleaner to eat at the table then try and clean up the crumbs on the floor? People should stop caring so much about appearances and less about keeping up with the Joneses and more about supporting their children. I can’t remember Leanne doing anything one-on-one with Piper.

Maybe Bernadette will leave Pete in the future or try and get him to do his bit around the house. But she was already on the edge when he didn’t appear and I felt Leanne could have been softer towards her at the meeting. I could tell Leanne’s husband didn’t agree with everything she was saying but he was just supporting her.

And why did we not see Bernadette and Leanne’s daughter perform the song? What a letdown.

5 Injera { 01.17.12 at 9:25 am }

Ugh, I thought Bernadette was spot on with the Kings – her key error was in placing a complete moratorium on cleaning, although she tried to explain that as taking it to the other extreme in the hope that a more moderate approach might be adopted. And I can’t remember Mr King’s name (heh) but I thought it seemed as though Bernadette really reached him regarding quality family time and that deserved more exploration.

Pete came across as a slacker-tool but I’m with Gillian and Rachel – Leanne removing the cat was just plain cruel. She was far too personal in her attacks on Pete and seriously, did she think it was fair to expect him to cut his hair?

6 Culinary Boner { 01.17.12 at 9:27 am }

Ozzie: “But Sharon, Satan doesn’t believe in housework.”
Sharon: “Fuck off Ozzie. Just shut the fuck up and get mopping.”

Will watch this on tonight on my Foxtel IQ.
Sounds to me like our incredibly creative and talented nuffie, Pete, needs a dose of Sharon Osbourne like tough love.

7 Andrea { 01.17.12 at 1:48 pm }

I agree, Peter was a real no hoper and very lazy. I wanted to see more of the little boy as he didnt seem to be looked after properly. Getting rid of the cat was cruel, Piper didnt seem to have much else in her life, but people who are not animal lovers dont seem to understand this. Leanne could have taken the kids out somewhere for the day and really spoilt them, then she could have given the house a really good clean to make things nicer for the kids. Peter I would have just ignored as he was a waste of space, but the kids needed a lot of mothering. When people sign up for this show they have to agree to at least participate in the change over rules otherwise whats the point?
Also, the song was actually performed right at the end of the show, in the follow up part.

8 Gillian { 01.17.12 at 2:33 pm }

@ Andrea – damn, I think I already deleted it off the IQ :-) Was it cringeworthy? I agree Leanne could have taken the opportunity to spoil Piper and her brother.

9 ruby { 01.17.12 at 2:41 pm }

Pete looked bad, but Leanne came across worse. She treated her family so terribly. I felt sorry for those girls. Not allowed to have friends over !! How dare she take that poor child’s cat away?? !! And how can she force someone to get a hair cut ?? That’s crossing the line. Bernadette seemed like a nice person & deserved to have some support from her husband. He was a tool, but at least he wasn’t mean like Leanne. I felt so sorry for her own husband when he recalled sad moments from his past. His wife is replicating them with their kids. I bet Leanne wouldn’t allow the film crew to ‘wreck’ her dining room so they had to eat food on their laps in the lounge. This series is turning into good viewing.

10 Kevin { 01.17.12 at 8:23 pm }

How could any real man even have the audacity to appear on this program with such a poor life record. He is a parasite!

11 Culinary Boner { 01.17.12 at 9:54 pm }

Having now watched this, I have to say that in the end it wasn’t as good as last week’s. This may sound corny, but this show works when preconceptions are challenged and the families learn from each other. In this episode the real losers all round seemed to be the kids, who all showed the inner strength kids have.

While Pete is the biggest walking scrotum to ever grace Australian TV, the assessments here about Leanne are also spot on. Pot, kettle, black. She’s as selfish in her own way as Pete, but super judgemental to the point of being offensive.

I did however enjoy Pete’s encounter with the toilet – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-79J6_j6KZI

12 Culinary Boner { 01.18.12 at 9:41 am }

When this finally airs overseas, the viewers are going to assume that Pete is an actor, in the mould of my favourite crap but good reality show from past, My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancée.

The Paul Stanley hairdo. The low-energy, 4th rate heavy rock drumming. The medieval ‘minstrel’ music (WTF?), complete with flouncy sleeves.

It’s almost as if Paul Fenech (Fat Pizza, Housos) had created Pete’s character.

In fact, I reckon Fenech could help ween Pete off welfare by giving him a part in the next series of Housos.

All he’d have to do is be himself…oh, and turn up when the camera’s rolling. Come to think of it, it might just be too hard.

13 Anonymous { 01.18.12 at 10:28 am }

Agree, Leanne was as selfish and all-about-me as Peter. he had obvious flaws and huge blind spots, but the final evidence of how nasty and selfcentred and damaging to her kids Leanne is was the comment from the narrator that the kid’s painting was still hanging, only the visual showed not in the kitchen but our of sight in the poor kid’s room. Vile woman.

14 Roo { 01.18.12 at 10:44 am }

I’m with CB. Last week’s was better. I just didn’t feel satisfied with this episode – we really didn’t get to see a transformation or a life learning experience with either family. Perhaps a little more with Bernadette and the Kings but as others have said, Leanne could have cleaned the house or taken the kids out for a treat. She was as unlikeable as Peter (if not more) and clearly hasn’t heard that old adage: you’ll attract more flies with honey than vinegar. Suprise! Abusing Peter, taking away his cigarettes and telling him to get a hair cut wasn’t a successful motivational tool. That’s not to defend him. Sadly the kids at both households are the victims of this rather depressing episode and families. PS In my opinion Leanne had the most questionable decorating taste I’ve seen for a long time on telly!

15 Andrea { 01.19.12 at 1:41 pm }

I also thought that it was terrible that the kids had to be dragged out of their beds late at night so that Leanne could pick Peter up from his “gigs”. His wife should definitely refuse to do this and insist he get a lift home from one of his band friends if he is too lazy or too scared to learn to drive himself. Leanne and peter were both selfish people, my heart broke for the kids involved.

16 peter zantey { 01.21.12 at 6:31 pm }

piper was asked by me to feed phoenix and theres nothing wrong with that they edit a lot of footage i have deals going all over the world hence the computer time is important.My wife also gigs with me and with others its not a problem at all for our family.calling me a wanker i would like to see you on so called reality tv where they edit your responses to questions and see how you fair .Bye ROBOTS

17 Kt { 01.21.12 at 10:36 pm }

Yes pete you are the biggest WANKER I’ve ever seen.. Lived with your mum??? Come on, your not a man you’re a little fairy!!!

18 roger { 01.21.12 at 11:59 pm }

Watched this show again. Peter isn’t as bad as made out. He could be more supportive. But that vile, nasty, anal woman Leanne is a piece of work. What untold damage she will cause her kids. And in turn the cycle will keep replicating. Bernadette is a lovely woman who deserves more as do the sweet kids. Pete, treat them well.

19 peter zantey { 01.22.12 at 11:02 am }

Nothing wrong with living with your mum IDIOT .I didn’t know it was wrong in this vain society to help ones parents.

20 Dazza { 01.22.12 at 12:42 pm }

Peter, where can we get your music? We would love to go to your gigs & get your new album. My kids love your look & immediately said ‘Paul Stanley’. They think you are really cool & we all loved your spew song . You deserve to make it big. Bernadette has the most beautiful voice. You guys are cool.

21 Bee { 01.22.12 at 8:51 pm }

I agree the show made my husband look really bad, this is not the case and is so far from reality, the editors are fekkin tools. For the record he hasn’t always lived with his parents, he moved back in after his dad had a heart attack to help them out. That’s edited out. Also edited out was the worst of leanne, at least I don’t have to remove my kids ALL THE TIME so they aren’t exposed to such foul behaviour! All the good bits about Pete were removed at editing you judgmental idiots. And I’m not a push over, I give him a lot of shit don’t u worry! Since the swap he has actually implemented MY new rules!!! The reason he had enough of that mole was because she threw our kids photos out in the garage, you don’t throw out family photos and previous memories! I hope my husband does really well with his music. And Dazza, vibedeck.com/peterzantey is where u buy you make me spew and the rest of our stuff is on Reverbnation under Faire D’Ophelia and “Z”

22 Successful Robot { 01.23.12 at 1:01 am }

Pete – Maybe it’s time to stop chasing your dreams and start supporting your families dreams. I play guitar in a heavy metal band and I still manage to run a household with 6 kids and work 50 hours a week. It’s clear you used a turkey baster to produce that beautiful daughter of yours because if you had even a half inch cock you would have showed up to support your wife.

You’re wife has too much love to give and your just like a parasite leaching off her good will.

23 Dazza { 01.23.12 at 3:56 am }

If you were a real ‘man’ you wouldn’t hide under the name Successful Robot & you’d give your real name instead of just abusing Pete. You have been obscenely rude. Obviously from what Bee said things have improved with their household. Even if it hadn’t, it isn’t your place to be so judgemental. If Pete worked then they would have had to pay a huge amount in child care fees. Why not help them out by buying some of Pete’s great music. He is a great muso & deserves support. Why should he give it up when it is what he & his wife love to do? You haven’t. Do your kids get to see you when you work 50 hours a week & then play in a band? If you think that other family was living life to the fullest then you have a warped view of life. That horrible woman was mean as. I hope Pete makes it big time. Everyone I know thought he was cool.

24 Georgie { 01.23.12 at 8:11 am }

I didn’t watch this show, so can’t comment on it, edited or not. However I am commenting on RR’s post, quoting Pete:
“Work stunts your growth mentally and creatively”.

If a man with a family said that, then I say – “Not working stunts your children’s growth as potential worthwhile adults and not eating just stunts your bloody growth full stop”.

I gather everyone is eating but please, please don’t tell me this family survives on welfare?

If so, where the fuck would we be if we all had the luxury of practicing this life ideology – what no tax payers to pick up the bloody tab!

If your family is living on welfare Pete – then yes you are a wanker!

25 Georgie { 01.23.12 at 8:22 am }

Oh and another thought from a tax paying, creative being –

ROBOTS are okay, if they’re paying your way – hey!

Yep – poetry.

26 reality Raver { 01.23.12 at 8:25 am }

Peter and Bee – thank you so much for coming into express your side of your reality TV experience.
Obviously the viewers everyday experiences reflects how the view the character on screen. I agree Leanne had major issues and her kids looked like they were itching to rebel.
However I do think it is time sometimes to give up the rock star dream. Have you watched Anvil???
Also putting the 2 year old in the room a lot was pretty bad. However if changes have been made that can only be a positive thing. By 9.30pm tonight viewers will have moved onto the next episode and your 15 minutes of reality fame will be over.

27 Anonymous { 01.23.12 at 8:43 am }

“I didn’t watch this show, so can’t comment on it, edited or not. ”

But then you don’t just comment – you assume, you judge, you lecture, and you prance about on your high horse of moral superiority. Dickhead.

28 Rachel { 01.23.12 at 8:48 am }

What was going on in Leanne’s head to take away the photos and the cat? That’s just pure nastiness.

29 Georgie { 01.23.12 at 9:09 am }

I don’t normally reply to ‘Anonymous’ posters because there’s too many of them. I’m making an exception here because the post was directed at me.

IF you have any command of the English language you’ll notice I used the word IF throughout my post.

IF assumes I didn’t assume.

IF what I was commenting on was not the case, then there was no case.

IF what I said elicits such a vehement response from an ‘Anonymous’ poster then I might now be tempted to assume the IF’s were facts.

30 Culinary Boner { 01.23.12 at 9:57 am }

Editing or not, the equation (and fair judgement all round) is still:-

Peter = selfish, lazy, bludging dickhead who needed a massive kick up the arse, and if Bee’s post is not just misguided partner defence, then he may be making some amends. BUT, there is no excuse for not working and paying your own way through life if you are of able mind and body. What sort of example does work dodging send to your kids? Especially as you seem to care for them, without having learnt to man up and properly take care of them (or yourself). Selfish factor rating – 9/10, but perhaps moving down.

Leanne = selfish, obsessive, obnoxiously judgemental scrag who rudely lorded her sense of massive superiority over Peter, and who also needed a firm kick up the arse, but appears to have learnt zippo because no one can challenge her as she is so over-bearing. At his best Pete had a sorta Ossie-like goofiness that could on occasions (rare, I grant) pass as endearing. Leanne was just the scrubber (literally, ’cause it was the 1st time I actually felt sympathy for a kitchen benchtop) from hell. Everything in her house, kids and hubby included, seemed to be treated as “objects”. Selfish factor rating – 11/10 (Nigel Tufnel’s Amp Setting – cue guitar-shred)

Bee = caring, but set upon and overly tolerant mum and partner. Likeability factor – 8/10 (‘cept when dressed like Rapunzel and in minstrel mode – 6/10)

Leanne’s husband (saw so little of him I can’t remember his name, just that he was some ex-Army dude) = ball-less, previously macho guy who’s probably just developed a coping mechanism of agreeing to Leanne all the time. Likeability factor – 5/10

The kids – all seemed engaging, especially Piper, and resilient in coping with the hand they’d been dealt. (Though the rarely seen two-year old was a worry, why did Eraserhead keep coming to mind?) – Likeability factor for the older kids – 9/10

31 suziwong66 { 01.31.12 at 1:45 am }

Leanne was incredibly unlikeable. Her comment upon being evicted from the house that referred to being thrilled to be leaving the poverty stricken sh*thole left me cold.

RR i’m not sure i could be happy to classify Leanne as middle class; one of the most important class indicators is education level and i’m pretty sure Leanne or her hubby aren’t educated. Additionally both had what would be classified as working class occupations. I think the best i could manage to stretch them to would be to classify them as upper working class. However your comment about Leanne not understanding that we all receive benefits from the govt in one form or another is accurate.

Nice sum-up of the ep.

32 Lebay { 02.02.12 at 6:47 am }

Peter, whilst I thought you came across badly, I was willing to give you the ‘bad editing’ benifit of the doubt, but then you didnt turn up to the table meeting. I understand that you didnt like Leanne, I didnt either, but to leave your wife to face them alone was a ball-less move, and selfish, oh so selfish. Is your job not to protect your wife, not to throw her into the vipers pit alone. I could forgive almost anything, but that my dear would have landed your ass squarely in divorce court.

33 Peter is awesome { 04.21.13 at 12:07 pm }

The song YOU MAKE ME SPEW!!!!!!!!!! Is the perfect song to sum up Leanne. Peter is not a bum he is a MUSICIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 Slothinator { 09.20.13 at 12:10 am }

For the fans of Faire D’Ophelia

35 Dragon City Gems Hack { 03.08.14 at 11:08 pm }

Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this
post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this.

I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
Thanks for sharing!