Excess Baggage – What No Weigh Ins?

Well we have been seeing the advertisements for Excess Baggage for months and we now know it will work. And it would appear its format is very different from The Biggest Loser.

For one thing there will be no scales! Which is interesting as how do you get the drama of seeing the big numbers fall on the scales in what is meant to be a weight loss series.

Contestants won’t be scored on weight loss; their success will be measured on body fat percentage, waist circumference and fitness levels, and will be encouraged to gain lean muscle.

Also there are “no forced diets and no ‘lockdown’” that removes them from everyday temptations which appears to be having another slap at that other weight loss show.

With teams undertaking challenges to gain points, one by one the bottom pair will be eliminated until one couple remain. This must means the judges and the produces can do some fiddling to keep the favourites in. Well I hope that is the case but only if it goes to keeping my favourites or the entertaining ones in.

The judges and mentors of the show will be nutritionist Joanna McMillan, trainer Christian Marchegiani, psychologist Dr Tim Sharp and cardiologist Dr Ross Walker as judges and mentors.

It will be the battle of the six-packs between Christian Marchegiani and Loser’s Commando. I investigated this crucial issue for my readers, after all I am a professional, via twitter when I asked Christian which of them had the better six-pack. He told me to watch to find out…

Excess Baggage will hoping the exotic Australian locations and the mix of celebrities teamed up with real people with real heartwarming stories will lure the viewers away from fatties looking for love. Expect if Loser ratings drop for stories to emerge in the media about the romances in the house. In fact if anyone knows anything about the rumoured romances contact me…..

However where there are similarities, which is the cash prize. Each week the winning team  will get $10,000 to go towards the celebrities chosen charity, and at the end of the series, the winning team will be awarded $100,000, with the non-celeb pocketing $50,000 and the celebrity giving $50,000 to a charity of their choice.

The teams:

RED TEAM: International Paparazzo Darryn Lyons and Lisa Giammaria

YELLOW TEAM: Singer Christine Anu and Nathan Pamenter

BLUE TEAM: Renowned backing dancer Kevin Federline and Renae Pratt

GREEN TEAM: Actress and Comic, Gabby Milgate and Ben Jones

PURPLE TEAM: TV Presenter Ajay Rochester and Matthew Palmer

PINK TEAM: Singer Kate DeAraugo and Sarah Robinson

GREY TEAM: Beaconsfield Miner Brant Webb and John Rose

ORANGE TEAM: AFL Legend Robert ’Dipper’ DiPierdomenico and Lana Pilakis

I get the feeling Gabby Milgate who has been getting limited pre-show publicity will be a favourite just because most Australian’s have a piece of her in their heart from her iconic line “You’re terrible Muriel”.

Which celebrity do you think you will like or dislike?

Excess Baggage starts on Channel NINE on Monday 30 January 2012.

1 JaniceG { 01.19.12 at 9:38 am }

Seems to me they have to weigh people to get their body fat index so why would they deliberately not provide that figure as well? With no lockdown or forced diet, I’m betting the success rate will be lower than on BL. I’m not really thrilled about the emphasis on singles in BL for this season but hopefully the show will still be primarily focused on weight loss. If I want to see exotic locales, I can watch a travel show.

2 Culinary Boner { 01.19.12 at 10:24 am }

How do you do a fat % skin-fold check on the silicon-enhanced bits and bobs that’d be implanted throughout this sad collection of humanity*? For example, in Darren ‘Ninja Turtle’ Lyon’s abominable gut implants?

Watching the scales oscillate back and forth under extreme tectonic strain is one of the highlights of Biggest Loser. They may have lost me already on this oversight.

* Not you of course Ajay. Did I mention that you give me the horn?

3 Rob { 01.19.12 at 10:28 am }

Sounds like EB has a healthier approach to me. You could starve or dehydrate yourself or take a handful of laxatives before a weigh-in on TBL just to get your weight down and be rewarded for it. And we’ve all heard the stories of TBL contestants packing it all back on after they leave the show because the life they live on the show has no link to their lives at home. No fad diets and no lockdown says to me that on EB they’re being taught how to manage their weight properly for the real world.

4 Reality Raver { 01.19.12 at 10:46 am }

Culinary Boner – If you want I can arrange an introduction to Ajay Rochester if you like….

Rob – Probably a much healthier approach but will it make good tv? As transformation is what they want to see.

Janice G – It will be interesting to see how both shows mix it up. Interesting that Kate Cebrano who is host has not been in the pre-show publicity either.

5 Georgie { 01.19.12 at 12:38 pm }

RR – I don’t think viewers want to see ‘transformation’ as much as ‘castigation’ which is why EB will be better viewing than TBL.

It’s what D-Z celebs do best – put themselves up for ridicule.

Bring it on!

6 Shelsta78 { 01.19.12 at 1:26 pm }

Brant Webb’s a good get – I didn’t realise he would be on till now.
RR – I like your description of KFed – I’m not so sure that’s what he’s well known for ;0)
Ajay is apparently will be desperate for staying in long – I don’t think her LA sojourn has been as successful as she’d hoped.

I’ll be interested to see what Christine is like – I have always liked her in interviews etc. but not sure how she’ll fair in Reality TV.

I’m still in shock that they’re going head to head with the Losers.

7 Culinary Boner { 01.19.12 at 2:22 pm }

Raver, in her current state I wouldn’t know where to start off on all the amorous foreplay type stuff, once our conversation gets tedious at about the 15 minute mark after introductions. Guess a foot massage might be the way to go. I suspect she hasn’t actually seen her feet for a fair while. Can you ask her to get a pedicure and toe-jam removal organised prior to our date? I’ll take care of the rest.

8 Mel { 01.19.12 at 2:30 pm }

Meh.
I’ll be watching MKR.

9 Mel { 01.19.12 at 6:14 pm }

I bet Ajay wishes she was a ‘non-celeb’ so she can keep the $50k in the unlikely event she wins… oh wait…

10 littlepetal { 01.19.12 at 8:05 pm }

Will Ajay declare the winning to Centerlink if she does win?

11 Culinary Boner { 01.19.12 at 9:52 pm }

littlepetal, should I eventually be in a position where I have to massage Ajay’s feet in order to help sooth the horn then I’ll be after half the winnings, so Centrelink can just bugger off.
What do you people take me for?
A door mat? The discarded Yellow Wiggle?