The Biggest Loser – The Ratings Are Not Great At The Moment

This week The Biggest Loser is struggling in the ratings, and maybe the reason is now that it is in the 7pm time slot people would be still eating dinner and they don’t want to see people puking in buckets. Also dumping a whole truck of fat probably doesn’t help either.

One thing I do like about this year is a lot of the contestants, they seem a bit more articulate then the previous series, particularly the girls.

Tonight Hayley got the contestants together for a group therapy session where they had to talk about their heartache of being alone. There were tears and it was sad when Lisa was talking about losing her son Brayden, and Simon marriage breaking down.
However I think Luke who wants “the ideal wife” needs to realise there is not one, and he will be disappointed if there is. Again James gave Michelle a look when she was talking about never having been kissed.

Tonight it was all about telling them finding out their biological age and on average they were about 15 years older then their real age. Alex who is 50 was told his biological age was 71 which must have been quite a shock.

However I did think Dr Norman was a bit insensitive about talking about Brenda’s infertility and how her weight had effected this. “How long have you been trying to have a baby?” he boomed. She broke down and said seven years. At forty she would know that even after she loses the weight that it will still be very difficult to get pregnant.

Then it was off to their trainers and Tiffiny again made her girls feel like shit by say “Twenties are the best years of my life”. I am not sure how she can be an authority on this topic as she is only 27 herself.

Also the blue team of under 30 boys appear to be slackers they were up later then 6.00am and Ryan’s only exercise appeared to be rolling around like a beach ball on the lounge room floor.

Then it was onto the immunity challenge, I am not sure why none of them were not going for it. No use taking the higher moral ground and risk of getting eliminated. It appeared the whole group had made a pact not to go for immunity which quite frankly takes the tension out of the show. Also the plate with the highest number of calories was a ham and cheese sandwich, so if you spun it just don’t have dinner. No big deal.

Oh and where is Commando we have barely seen him, except for his cameo tonight handing the nicorette patches over to Shane in a very obvious product placement moment.

What do you think of The Biggest Loser? Has it done enough this week to keep you watching?

1 seepi { 01.25.12 at 10:28 pm }

I feel a bit bad about Brenda too. At 40 it is very very late to be trying to lose a stack of weight, meet someone and have a baby.

I’m liking the show, but missing half of it – it is too early for us.

2 SEDI { 01.25.12 at 11:32 pm }

I’ve said it once and I will say it again…
I’ve said it once and I will say it again…
I’ve said it once and I will say it again…

Repetitive and too sssllooooowwww – and repetitive.

What they have in fat, they’ve shed in tears. Please stop crying, people!

I wont be tuning in for much longer.

3 Isabel { 01.26.12 at 7:33 am }

I agree, far too slow moving and it will lose me if it continues. Too much going over what happened/what was said before the ad break ….

4 Sue { 01.26.12 at 8:39 am }

Yeah the product placement was a bit obvious. 😉

I’m worried they’re setting them all up for failure. As someone who has been extremely overweight and is now just somewhat overweight, I know what it’s like to look for love in that situation. The thing is, TBL are basically implying and promising these people that once they lose their weight they’ll find the love of their life. It’s not that simple. Weight might not be the issue! Not all people are bothered by weight when it comes to love. I know with weight comes self esteem issues (most of the time) and that can certainly affect whether or not you find love but that’s not how they’re focusing it and I hope they don’t end up all hurt because they either don’t find love when they’re skinny or the only find someone who will love them while they’re skinny, not if the weight comes back on. :(

5 Elizabeth { 01.26.12 at 10:24 am }

I just sat down to dinner when the 1.5 tonnes of fat arrived. Thanks.
I find Tiffani really condescending, she calls people “loveless” and lonely because they are single. Maybe she thinks everyone judges people by their looks alone, like she does, and that you can’t have good friends and a great family if you are fat.
And I wanted to smack that doctor.

6 Calliegirl { 01.26.12 at 10:37 am }

Sedi summed it up perfectly. Same old, same old, plodding along – tuned out last night……

7 librarygirl { 01.26.12 at 11:06 am }

Like Seepi I think it’s on too early…. being January we eat dinner later, so I don’t think of television til close to eight p.m. or later. Two nights running I’ve caught 10 minutes of it, so I’m not up with whos who at all.

8 Wurstsemmel { 01.26.12 at 11:15 am }

Over it.

9 Reality Raver { 01.26.12 at 11:46 am }

Seepi and Library Girl – maybe ratings will settle a bit once school goes back and routines are in place. I record it as I am kid wrestling at 7.00pm.

Elizabeth – my partner was eating at the time as well and was not very about it.

Calliegirl and SEDI – same shots and scenes. Weigh in, sitting on the couch having a con fab, being yelled at by trainers, people vomiting and falling over.

10 Anonymous { 01.26.12 at 12:35 pm }

Seasons 1-4 started at 7pm and did okay – before The 7Pm project started and BL (and then MC) moved to 7.30 timeslots. Maybe the concept is just tapped out.

11 brain dead dave { 01.26.12 at 12:41 pm }

Perhaps it’s dawning on people that TBL is about anything except healthy weight loss.
The show is starting earlier this year. In the past I think it’s begun in February.
Nollsy’s obesity anthem “Lift” is something I miss.
Tiffany is a bit of a lobster…all body and a head full of $hit.
Oh, I mean “Tiffiny”( Lard Lips)

12 seepi { 01.26.12 at 2:35 pm }

Maybe it is working for me to miss half the show – I’m still finding it interesting and the recaps are useful!

ONe wierd thing is the contestants seem a bit slim to me this year, and then they say the Ryan guy is the biggest ever. I think I’ve been desensitised by the US version, where some of them were amazingly huge.

13 brain dead dave { 01.26.12 at 4:10 pm }

WE ARE AUSTRALIANS!

We,the people of a free nation of blokes, sheilas and the occasional wanker.
We come from many lands (although a few too many of us come from New Zealand)
And although we live in the best country in the world, we reserve the right to bitch
And moan about it whenever we bloody like.

We are One Nation but we’re divided into many States:

First, there’s Victoria , named after a queen who didn’t believe in lesbians.
Victoria is the realm of Mossimo turtlenecks, cafe latte, grand-final day and big horse races.
Its capital is Melbourne, whose chief marketing pitch is that ‘it’s livable’..
At least that’s what they think. The rest of us think it is too bloody cold and wet.

Next, there’s NSW, the realm of pastel shorts, macchiato with sugar,
Thin books read quickly and millions of dancing queens.
Its capital, Sydney , has more queens than any other city in the world and is proud of it.
Its mascots are Bondi lifesavers
Who pull their speedos up their cracks to keep the left and right sides of their brains separate.

Down south we have Tasmania ,
A state based on the notion that the family that bonks together stays together.
In Tassie, everyone gets an extra chromosome at conception.
Maps of the State bring smiles to the sternest faces.

South Australia is the province of half-decent reds,
A festival of foreigners and bizarre axe murders.
SA is the state of innovation.
Where else can you so effectively re-use country bank vaults and barrels as in Snowtown,
Just out of Adelaide (also named after a queen).
They had the Grand Prix, but lost it when the views of the track caused the Formula
One drivers to sleep at the wheel.

Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant.
Its main claim to fame is that it doesn’t have daylight saving
Because if it did all the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work.
WA was the last state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the
Government and business.

The Northern Territory is the red heart of our land. Outback plains, sheep stations the size of Europe ,
Kangaroos, Jackaroos, Emus, Uluru And dusty kids with big smiles.
It also has the highest beer consumption of anywhere on the planet
And its creek beds have the highest aluminum content of anywhere too.
Although the Territory is the center piece of our national culture, few of us live there
And the rest prefer to fly over it on our way to Bali .

And there’s Queensland ………….
While any mention of God seems silly in a document defining a nation of half-arsed skeptics,
It is worth noting that God probably made Queensland- it’s beautiful one day and perfect the next.
Why he filled it with dickheads remains a mystery.

Oh yes, and there’s Canberra . The least said the better.

We, the citizens of Oz, are united by Highways,
Whose treacherous twists and turns kill more of us each year Than murderers.
We are united in our lust for international recognition.
Not that we’re whingeing; we leave that to our Pommie immigrants.

We want to make ‘no worries mate’ our national phrase, ‘she’ll be right mate’ our national attitude

And ‘Waltzing Matilda’ our national anthem.
(So what if it’s about a sheep-stealing crim who commits suicide??)

We love sport so much our news readers can read the death toll from a sailing race
And still tell us who’s winning. And we’re the best in the world at all the sports that count,
Like cricket, netball, rugby, AFL, roo-shooting, two-up and horse racing.

We also have the biggest rock, the tastiest pies and the worst-dressed Olympians in the known universe.

We shoot, we root, we vote. We are girt by sea and pissed by lunchtime.
Even though we might seem a racist, closed-minded,
Sports-obsessed little people, at least we feel better for it.

I am, you are, we are Australian.

14 Calliegirl { 01.26.12 at 6:50 pm }

Well done BDD! You have excelled yourself!

15 brain dead dave { 01.26.12 at 7:31 pm }

Thanks Calliegirl ,but it was a cut and paste from an email I received and thought that was worth sharing..I’m off to watch Loser

16 littlepetal { 01.27.12 at 8:05 pm }

Would be interesting to see what happens next week as the Biggest Loser and Excess Baggage are on at the same time and then there is MKR at 7.30pm. I really have to give up one as I just can’t watch that much reality TV in one week!

17 Calliegirl { 01.27.12 at 8:37 pm }

littlepetal, I’m going to give Excess Baggage a go, mainly because it is a new show, no weigh-ins etc, as I’m sick to death of the sameness of TBL

18 littlepetal { 01.28.12 at 11:14 am }

Calliegirl- I may do the same too. Love to see what Ajay is up to but she gives me ulcers unlike BDD who gets a different reaction to Ajay!

19 littlepetal { 01.28.12 at 11:30 am }

I think I figure out why we didn’t see too much of Commando. If they have shown Commando it will be his training session with the Black Team. In the following episode we have Alex been treated for his Achilles tendon injury. He must have got the injury from his training with Commando. The producers don’t want us to see how Alex got injured and so did not show much of the training with the Commando.

20 brain dead dave { 01.28.12 at 12:25 pm }

I think it’s Culinary Boner who has the “reaction” to Ajay, littlepetal.

21 Izobel2 { 01.28.12 at 10:26 pm }

Yes I’m pretty sure that the Boner has mentioned Ajay and ‘the horn’ once or twice !! I’m hoping to see more Commando this season and am glad he’s training guys this year not those loveable Moon’s!

22 littlepetal { 01.29.12 at 12:48 am }

My apologies BDD.

23 brain dead dave { 01.29.12 at 1:34 pm }

No worries,littlepetal. I was just clarifying,don’t want Boner getting jealous.