Excess Baggage – Yes We Get It You Are Different From The Biggest Loser

Excess Baggage kicked off last night and it appears the two weight loss reality shows are going to cannibalise each others audience in the 7.00pm timeslot with ratings for both shows being underwhelming.

However The Biggest Loser would be the ones that may first hit the panic button with figures for the first weigh-in and elimination sitting at 698,000 and Excess Baggage at 880,000. However it will be interesting if there is any big movement in these figures in the coming weeks.

Anyhow I don’t usually get bogged down in ratings as I prefer to comment on what is actually happening on screen.

Last night Excess Baggage went to great lengths to point out the difference between their fat busting program and the Channel Ten one.

There was no vomiting, no weigh-ins, no counting calories, in fact the training was so relaxed that Brandt Webb and Kevin Federline even ducked off for a cheeky cigarette. Former Biggest Loser host Ajay Rochester even put the boot into the show that did make her a celebrity basically saying their weight loss regime is irresponsible and there had been pressure on her to lose weight.

It was an introductory episode, and once the celebrities and the contestants stop being on their best behaviour (which I would guess with the heat, lack of carbs and exercising will be in about one episode) it is going to be highly entertaining.

However here are some quick thoughts on the first episode:

• Did they seriously expect us to believe that the contestants were just “wandering” through the Australian outback and they stumbled across a parcel with their name on it? If so they should all buy a lottery ticket now!
  • Kate Dearaugo is mistaken if she thinks there is no one looking over her when she goes to the food buffet. Doesn’t she realise there is a camera crew following her?
  • Kevin Federline confessed to a full on soft drink habit, and Ajay helpfully chimed in that “When she was fat she used to drink a lot of soft drink”. I like that she has body confidence but if she wasn’t overweight it is doubtful she would be on the show;
  • All of Australia is probably going to fall in love wit Gabby Millgate again, however the melting the cheese in the microwave and eating it was slightly stomach churning;
  • Kate Dearaugo had all over body lipo at 19 years of age, and by the looks of her abdomen now appears to still have the incision marks;
  • By the way she appears to be the only female contestant agreeing to unclothe;
  • Brandt Webb doesn’t look like he is taking it too seriously, but maybe this will change;
  • Darren Lyons will indeed be the villain of the series, alongside Ajay Rochester. It will be interesting to see if another emerges;
  • Unsure what role bubbly Kate Cebrano will play as host so will reserve judgement on her until I have seen a few more episodes;
  • Ditto for the bubbly nutritionist Joanna and personal trainer Christian.

Line of the night goes to Gabby Millgate when she responded to Ajay’s call that the camera person get the best angle of her bottom. She quipped “There isn’t one”.

What did you think of the first episode will you be back to watch it?

1 Mahlia { 01.31.12 at 11:52 am }

I’m not really sure where this show is going.
If you don’t push the contestants then there’s no drama. Just letting them make their own decisions seems soft.

The constant references to the Biggest Loser need to end too. It’s childish and treats the audience like we’re stupid – we can make up our own minds.

2 Colleen { 01.31.12 at 12:15 pm }

I will watch again but was disappointed last night. Cate Cebrano is so obviously reading from a script and the same applies to Dr J. Not sure it will become nightly viewing as other reality shows have been for me. The only thing I enjoyed last night were the colours of the tee shirts.

3 imaketheshow (formerly SEDI) { 01.31.12 at 2:02 pm }

I was disappointed as well :( From what I saw (behind the horrible vaseline covered lenses mind you!) it was quite dull. Editing was pretty bland as well, and hated the terrible ‘big brother/blair witch project’ style outpourings from each celeb.

TBL was much more entertaining (and fast!) viewing last night, a pleasant surprise!

4 Kerry { 01.31.12 at 3:29 pm }

Loved it!! Finally a real (enough) program about sensible weightloss! Obviously it might not be riveting TV like ‘Loser’, and it will not get the massive numbers, but it might actually teach the viewers and the people on it how to lose weight and keep it off forever. I feel sad that there are people out there how are disappointed that there is not going to be massive 10kg weight losses at the scales – well guess what, ‘Loser’ doesn’t have that either in one week, it is manipulated for TV, and also, most of the people on there put all their weight and more back on. I’ll be watching both, but I know which one is already helping me in my own weight struggle.

5 Leop { 01.31.12 at 3:58 pm }

Ajay is too busy blaming the world for her problems. Found K-Fed to be really nice – like the way he said he ate his emotions to keep ‘mum’ about his private life; understand that. Just a shame we had crap on tv and now all of a sudden 4 channels last night went ballistic in 7pm 7.30pm time slot; is this not mass suicide – don’t know how they think, then they scratch their heads wondering – ouch where are the viewers, why don’t we have a better rating blah blah blah – we can see it, why can’t they?

6 Reality Raver { 01.31.12 at 4:13 pm }

Leop – Agree considering on Sunday night there is NO reality TV at all.

7 Culinary Boner { 01.31.12 at 4:24 pm }

Ajay just needs a good boning. Just saying.

8 Leop { 01.31.12 at 5:27 pm }

Culinary Boner, you lust after AJ like no other :)

9 Culinary Boner { 01.31.12 at 5:28 pm }

Yeah, Leop… I’m like a dog with a bone

10 smauge { 01.31.12 at 8:47 pm }

RR – ” I like that she has body confidence but if she wasn’t overweight it is doubtful she would be on the show”
Man, she is a stick insect compared to what she was when I knew her. She was so obese that I didn’t realise she was 9 months pregnant until about 2 weeks before she had her son.

11 Viewers vote with their stomachs in TV ratings war Watch Online { 01.31.12 at 9:00 pm }

[…] blog Reality Ravings said of the launch episode: “It was a good start to the new reality show with celebrities that in a few episodes should […]

12 seepi { 01.31.12 at 10:02 pm }

Yeah why is nothing at all on sunday night – and even friday??

I am channel flicking loser and baggage at the mo. I”ll see if one wins out or if I just watch half of each the entire season.

so far baggage is winning out. (better scenery I think so far.)

13 smauge { 01.31.12 at 10:17 pm }

That’s so you have time to to watch all your tivoed episodes!