My Kitchen Rules – Episode 1 – Helen and Steve From NSW Are Cooking

Normally on My Kitchen Rules we see contestants in this stage of the competition cook dishes they have never tried before which is ludicrous enough, however I thought it had reached new heights when this Helen and Steve revealed they had not used the oven before as it had only been installed the previous evening. I was thinking wouldn’t you at least bake a cake to test it?

However before I castigate them too much it has been revealed today in the Herald Sun that they had not been cooking in their homes but in their brothers. In fact only four of the 12 couples cook in their own kitchens and this is because of logistics. They need to have the space for the control room and generator.

Also it appears, the kitchen and where the contestants dine has to be separate and considering the trend is open plan living this must be an issue for a lot of people who want to go on the show.

From the ads we could see Leigh and Jennifer from South Australia were being set up as the villains. Leigh looks the most surly, but Jennifer is going to get a lot of air time due to her Paris Hilton type qualities including carrying around a small dog and appearing completely vacuous. Oh and she also has the annoying habit of  sighing “yeah” alot.

However I also found Tom who is partnered with “friend” Clare to be rather arrogant. Both Clare and Tom declared they were just friends, and they don’t want anything else but I am not convinced.  For Tom to only think of Clare as a friend would go against the Ladder Theory which states that guys cannot think of girls as friends.

Steve and Helen from Sydney were the first to cook for the other teams their menu was Saganaki Prawns, Open-style moussaka served with Greek Salad, and Cypriot Pancake with vanilla icecream and walnut preserve.

Their big issue in the kitchen was they could not work the stove so the lamb shoulder for the moussaka was transfered to a frypan, but Steve finally figured out the cryptic instructions and they were able to start cooking.

Their “restaurant” was obviously a greek theme and they went the full kitschness with it including greek statues. This set up the atmosphere nicely.

However Leigh and Jennifer wanted more Greek. How they thought this could be achieved was unclear. Did they want a mini version of the acropolis as the centre piece on the table?

After the judges arrived the other “surprise” of  the mystery couple, Simon and Meg, the New Zealand team.  I dont’ know what the big deal is about having a NZ team there is more rivalry between NSW and Queensland at State of Origin time. There is no way the NZ people will win as the aussie viewers would be peeved to see the $250,000 go off shore.

Helen and Steve argued about the presentation of the entree. Steve wanted lots of sauce and  Helen was not wanting to go the rustic route. Again did these people not watch the last two seasons, Manu Feildel is always going on about how he likes lots of sauce.

Leigh and Jennifer thought it needed seasoning. Justine the truck driver from Perth snapped back there is enough salt in the cheese.

It was then revealed by the New Zealand team that they had not had Greek cuisine before as there are no Greek restaurants in New Zealand.

Ironically it was Pete Evans who complained about the lack of sauce not Manu.

The main course was Moussaka and it looked like stew on a plate, very unappetising.  Pete thought it was a good honest home cooked meal. Manu was not liking the sauce he thought it was far too reduced.

Jennifer picked on every aspect of the moussaka and then at the end said “good effort”. She also  thought the ice-cream was a bit eggy. She wasn’t going to win a popularity contest anytime soon around the dinner table.

The Army boys from Queensland, David and Scott, who appear quite droll scored them a 7, the WA girls gave a 7, Thomas and Carla  gave a 7, the New Zealand team gave a 7, but  Jennifer and Leigh gave a 6. This gave Steve and Helen a total of 34 out of 50.

The judges scored as well with Manu giving an eight for entree, a five for main, and an eight for dessert. Whereas Pete scored the entree a seven, the main a five and dessert an eight.

This came to a total of 75 which if previous seasons are anything to go by should not land them at the bottom, as usually one team totally tanks.

1 Lebay { 01.31.12 at 7:00 am }

Yep, one team usually tanks, and its usually the team with the snotty attitude, so prepare for Jennifer and Leigh to sink.

I forgot it was on, so missed the first half, but within 2 minutes had decided Jennifer needed a bit of an attitude adjustment.

2 smauge { 01.31.12 at 7:37 am }

“it tasted like custard. yeahhh…” There’s a very good reason for that princess.

3 JC { 01.31.12 at 8:05 am }

Totally agree that the NZ rivalry angle has been over-hyped. It just means group 1 people will be lucky to get on a plane to another country.

4 Mel { 01.31.12 at 8:12 am }

Loved the show last night. Although was flipping between this and Excess baggage so did miss bits. I wanted to give EB a fair go though. However after watching (most of) both shows – I think it’ll be MKR for me. I just cant handle another same-same fat show – could tell it was made by the previous makers of Biggest Loser – it felt very formulaic – and could very easily have been mistaken for Loser on the surface. I’m going for comfort food over sweaty celebs.

5 TMC { 01.31.12 at 9:06 am }

Re the greek Restraunt issue, dunno what they are going on about those Newe Zealanders.
A quick google search brings up heaps

Its all Greek to me

6 littlepetal { 01.31.12 at 10:15 am }

I thought it was strange when the NZ couple said there is no Greek food in NZ. They are from Auckland and Auckland is a metropolitan city with cuisines from everywhere. I do find the NZ couple arrogant.

I am looking forward to see Jennifer (the princess) clashes with Justine!!! I love Justine. She is funny but I hope she can cook

7 Culinary Boner { 01.31.12 at 10:43 am }

Good the hear that NZ has Greek restaurants. I was perturbed when I read the NZ couple comment on Raver’s earlier post.

Why is it that SA and Adelaide in particular appears to present an over-abundance of reality TV villians, while Vic seems to throw up an over-abundance of tossers?

Mel and James. That vile Leanne from Wife Swap. And now the ‘princess’. Ah, zee frog princess. If Manu gives her a pash her will she turn into Mel?

And for the tossers, we have a supreme commander in Tom, who appears to have a hit a window face first at some speed. And last year we had Kane and Lee who were both more bitchy and pretentious than the others.

NSW, on the other hand, stumped up Sammy & Bella (quality chicks all round) and now Helen & Steve, who were cheerful, pleasant but, judging by the problems they had with not pre-testing the oven, won’t be in with a chance.

The Aussie v Kiwi schtick was lame, ultra-lame. Hopefully they desist with this crap. Though I do hope that possum pie is on the menu when they go to NZ.

8 Dutch Courage { 01.31.12 at 10:59 am }

Great start of my favourite reality TV show.
Can’t be bothered to watch any more weight loss competitions(even if they involve so called ‘celebrities’) and the ‘Please marry my Boy’ concept sounds too stupid to waste any time on.
In the last 2 weeks Channel 7 had already set the scene for MKR so that we all disliked Jennifer before the show had even started.
And she didn’t disappoint, she is going to be fun to watch (and might make me forget Holly from the last season).
Jennifer claimed that she had an IQ of 150 but concerned that the other contestants were going to expect too much from her she admitted that this was a ‘joke’.
She asked Manu if he was really French or just a pretender.
Funny as!
Looking forward to tonights episode.

9 Wurstsemmel { 01.31.12 at 11:51 am }

Manu does seem to be channelling Inspector Clousseau with his accent of late.

Good start but the ‘Princess’ thing seems really a set up and it’s quickly going to become tiresome. Hope they get despatched early.

Still good but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I might.
All seemed a little predictable….stuff ups in the kitchen, pained faces from the judges before giving the food good comments and marks..Jennifer reminds me a bit of Holly..yep, same old, same old.

Looking forward to see the army boys though. They seem like fun.

10 Jruth { 01.31.12 at 11:57 am }

@culinary boner – weren’t Mel &James the tassie devils?

11 Culinary Boner { 01.31.12 at 12:09 pm }

Oops… Jruth you are right… apologies to South Australia… Mel & James hailed from a different backwater – Hobart, Tassie.

And last year SA had that nice car-dealer pair.

And to blow apart my whole argument, NSW also had the ‘high-achievers’* Kelly and Ash.

I rest my case, and me feeble memory, before I commit any more fox paws. *checks under desk again for Ajay for the 13th time today…sighs*

*aka. wankers

12 PollyB { 01.31.12 at 12:55 pm }

Last year, Babe & Babe were from SA. Almost as bad as James & evil Mel.

13 KJ { 01.31.12 at 1:08 pm }

I have a theory that they always make the villian teams from the states with the smaller populations ie SA and Tasmania as Channel 7 don’t mind p*****g them off! I’ll be interested to see what state “Dr Evil” in group 2 is from.

14 Dutch Courage { 01.31.12 at 1:48 pm }

KJ, Dr Evil (Group 2) is from Queensland. Based on the MKR promo’s he must be a complete ass so they seem to find them in every state.

15 AT { 01.31.12 at 2:59 pm }

CB has got a point. The first season’s villains was from SA. I think group 2’s QLD team could give the princess team a run for their money in the villain stakes judging from the previews

16 kewpie { 01.31.12 at 3:15 pm }

i thought harry just couldn’t shut up… so much (nervous) chatter and too little cooking. jennifer is going to be interesting to watch! all about the entertainment. we love a good TV villain…

17 Andrea { 01.31.12 at 5:14 pm }

Im with you Mel, I tried to watch all the shows on annoyingly at the same time but I think I will be dropping Excess Baggage as it was a bit boring and I hate all the lectures about what they should be eating from Dr Jo. MKR should be quite entertaining but two weight loss shows is a bit much.

18 My Kitchen Rules – Maybe Lisa Is Not As Posh As Thought | reality ravings { 02.10.13 at 8:54 pm }

[…] Kitchen Rules are not cooking in their own home. One of the most memorable examples of this was in season three where Steve and Helen could not work out how to turn on the stove and it was revealed they had been cooking in their […]