My Kitchen Rules – Princess Jennifer and Leigh Cook

I have to give props to Princess Jennifer tonight in the kitchen she held it together, even when things were going slightly pear-shaped she did not lose her cool. However she must have passed the tiara to Leigh who did a dramatic near faint at judging time.

The theme for tonight’s instant kitchen was Burlesque unfortunately for the male contingent there was no entertainment on the menu….

Apparent the theme of burlesque was picked because it is rich, lush and bold – a bit like them!

I also thought Angela from WA had a point that the menu was thai inspired and it did not really go with the theme. The way the WA pair were talking they were wanting to be as brutal as a thai-boxing match in their judging.

The menu was an entree was fish floss with green mango and pork belly salad, main was crispy skin mulloway with  micro herbs and daikon salad, and chilli tamarind sauce, and dessert was Custard Pandan Chiffon with Sago.

I thought there was some dodgy time keeping. The girls arrived back at the house at the three hour 15 minute mark, but managed to unpack groceries and set up the table in 15 minutes to be filmed putting their aprons as the clock ticked over to 3 hours left.

However what did they actually do in the three hour prep? Shred the barramundi,  prep the dessert, and make the cocktails everything else appeared to be done after the guests arrived.

Again we had  contestant say they had never seen/made a dish before If you got on My Kitchen Rules wouldn’t you practice you menu in the three hour time frame.

Leigh says “I am nervous I have never done this [the mousse] before.”

Jennifer was not very impressed when Pete came into the kitchen and questioned why the only flavour she was using for the fish floss was salt. Embarrassing for her however the fried fish clumped up first time ever however she did not freak out and did another batch.

She did have a point, if Pete knew about fish floss he should have known the salad and the floss go together, however maybe they should have plated it with the floss on top of the salad.

Not sure what the cutsie act Jennifer put on when she was getting judged was about. The eyelids were batting, the body was swaying, and the breasts were pushed out.  However it worked as both judges liked the entree even though they would have liked a bit more chilli.

All the other contestants liked it as well. Scott who has a thai wife said that this was exactly how it was meant to be.

The main was just as successful Peter thought the main was nearly perfect whereas Manu was critical of the sauce softening the crispy skin.

However then came dessert. It was served on a tile. Is it safe to eat off tiles? Manu thought the whole thing looked a little bit crazy, and Pete was not a fan of the pandan custard.

Also Scott, who I am starting to like, made a point that the scraping sound was not make the dish enjoyable to eat.

NZ scored them a 7, Vic gave scored a 7, Qld scored a 7, NSW scored a 7, and WA decided to be harsh and gave them a 6.

Manu scored the entree a 9, for main he gave a 8, and dessert a 4.

Pete scored the entree a 9, for main he gave a 9, and dessert a 3.

Jennifer was not happy with the score as she felt it was unfair that the  Western Australian pair got a nine for a brownie – a one dish dessert.

This meant their total score was 76, which meant they were in second place with the Western Australian pair Angela and Justine still in the lead.

By the way special mention must go to New Zealander Meg’s dress it was amazing.

1 littlepetal { 02.01.12 at 9:28 pm }

I did notice the countdown too. Only 15 mins to cooking time and they good the restaurant set. It will take me more than 15 mins to sort out my groceries.

You wouldn’t want to mess up or criticise the princess. Her looks can kill. I don’t think she take negative comments very well. Yeah, she can cook Thai dishes but just because there were more Asian cooking in the last series doesn’t mean she will do well in the other cuisines. Not sure what Leigh can do as she is only helping Princess with the cooking.

2 PollyB { 02.01.12 at 9:46 pm }

Agree with Angela, the food & setting didn’t gel. But, that food looked yummo. Except the dessert. Gonna find the pork belly recipe, luuurve pork belly. I’m liking princess a bit now, Leigh was the ditz tonight. Like Scott too, Thomas not so much. WA girls faves so far. I’m getting addicted again.

3 nanaliz { 02.01.12 at 9:51 pm }

I may be thick but I am trying to work out why a bulesque restarant when cooking thai food. Would have expected french cuisine (suck up to Manu) with burlesque. The reaction to low score said spoilt brats not used to critism. Jennifers eye rolling bugged me.

4 jord { 02.01.12 at 10:26 pm }

Jennifer and Leigh are fast becoming my favourites (with Helen and Steve running a close second. I thought they were ripped off with the final score and deserve to be in the top spot, it was only the dessert that let them down and even then it wasn’t an absolute disaster. I’m so glad this is back on, I’m remembering why I was so hooked last year.

5 brain dead dave { 02.01.12 at 11:45 pm }

I’m still having big problems with Manu’s accent…eg when he critiques a dish tomorrow night it’s hard to tell if he says it was “beautiful” or “pitiful”.

6 anonymice { 02.02.12 at 12:45 am }

Props to meg’s earrings too RR!

@jord, totally agree, my favourites too!. Just because they are a bit different (now also proven to be a real threat) I don’t like how the others are being such fake bully”s towards them. Especially the fat one. Justine? She seems like a real nasty one.

7 anonymice { 02.02.12 at 12:48 am }

@BDD – yes who will ever forget “It’s Okay-Hedge Hay Is A Rooved Almond” lol

8 Hank { 02.02.12 at 3:01 am }

“Princess” is the most irratating person on MKR finishing every sentence or statement she makes with “yeah”. Sure way of turning people off.

9 Isabel { 02.02.12 at 7:45 am }

Enjoying it so far, but unfortunately I can’t understand a word Manu says – me thinks his accent is thicker than before!

10 Culinary Boner { 02.02.12 at 7:59 am }

Almost feel asleep during this episode. Especially after having had whipped meself in lather about the prospect of The Princess crashing and burning, along with the bonus of some downstairs tingles via the promised Burlesque. Talk about Jennifer von Prick Tease. So much promise, so little delivery. Guess I’ll have to rely on Tom and the annoying Kiwis for me entertainment now.

11 sue N { 02.02.12 at 8:13 am }

I actually have a better opinion of Jennifer now, as she was calm and didn’t get flustered with the hiccups that happened, and she can cook!!!!! Also, her odd pronunciation of some words is now clear- it is from her background and upbringing, not because she is trying to be posh 😉

I am confused as to their choice of dessert and serving style- it was so at odds with the rest of their meal?!?! I think the very low scores are deliberate from Pete & Manu- in order to keep them off the top of the ladder, but safe as not on the bottom! (Just my opinion :))

I do thinkg there is some strategic scoring, but that is to be expected. I am liking the show very much thus far :)

12 Calliegirl { 02.02.12 at 8:36 am }

Watched it for the first time last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

13 Mrs T { 02.02.12 at 9:07 am }

I was impressed with Jennifer last night as well, she really held it together, clearly it was her idea to go on the show because Leigh didnt seem to do much. I think Pete made a good point at the end when he was enquiring about how the dessert (cake) would have been normally served, & I don’t think I’ll be rushing out to replace all of my dinner plates with tiles – fail!
I think the other contestants judged them too harshly basically because they don’t like them, they should have beaten WA.
Looking forward to NZ and hopefully some more bitchy comments!

14 Lebay { 02.02.12 at 9:46 am }

Im not a fan of fish, so the menu was a turn off for me. Fish floss looked awful. I was hoping for more crash and burn, but the desert was worth the wait on that score. If you were going to use tile, why not a smooth wall tile rather than a textured wall tile??
I still think her pronunciation is a put on. As a chef, I used to see a lot of ‘foodies’ like her do it.

15 Nicole { 02.02.12 at 10:34 am }

Yeah i think that butch justine is the real nasty one here. She must have a revlon endorsement with all that eyeliner. Maybe they are trying to attract a new audience – bogan bitches.

16 Dutch Courage { 02.02.12 at 10:54 am }

It looks like Jennifer is not as ‘unlikable’ as the earlier promos suggested. The doesn’t appear as competitive (or nasty) as some of the other contestants and even the number of ‘yeah’s’ was very minimal last night.
Meg looked very classy last night, really curious how she will perform in the kitchen tonight.
CB, no downstairs tingles via the princess? Glad you still have all the Ajay recordings to keep you going.

17 PollyB { 02.02.12 at 11:22 am }

Funny bout that, Justine being butch and nasty, and attracting a bogan bitch audience, eh Nicole.

18 Culinary Boner { 02.02.12 at 11:22 am }

DC, Excess Baggage features far too much Darren Lyons and Dipper to allow my mind to properly engage in tantric massage with Ajay.

19 kess { 02.02.12 at 11:45 am }

Love, l ove love the Princess
Not so much her dramatic offsider.
And the real bitch – WA truckie, yes we can see your a dessert fan, and yes Asian stuff would never have enough sugar & fat and calories for you.
They deserved a better dessert score just for how much effort they took.

20 brain dead dave { 02.02.12 at 11:59 am }

I’m prepared to tolerate the Princesses quirks as long as they deliver the goods. Like Meatloaf said,two out of three ain’t bad.

21 Cheryl { 02.02.12 at 12:15 pm }

It’s turning out to be a good season. The bitchiest teams are WA and Vic by far. I think the promos making Jennifer out to be the bitch of the season haven’t yet been justified, not compared to the snide comments from Tom and the WA girls. The teams next week look interesting too.

22 Jruth { 02.02.12 at 2:33 pm }

Given the promos, I was actually surprised that the girls did as well as they did!
I have to say that, even though I do love fish, and as tasty as the dishes looked, I would not want to have a fish and salad entree as well as a fish and salad main meal, and I’m surprised that the judges didn’t comment on this. Dessert did not look appetising.
I was a little puzzled by Jennifer’s bitchy comment about the WA brownie dessert getting 9 in light of the feedback she and Leigh were given. They were told there were too many elements on their tile and they should have just done one, or many two, of them well instead. The brownie was one element done really well!
Tom now seems to be the bitchiest of all I think, and I cant wait to see his team cook….

23 Dutch Courage { 02.02.12 at 3:42 pm }

The judges have to be really careful with the low scores to not create any health scares. Leigh almost fainted when Manu gave them a 4 for their dessert and had to leave the room to get some fresh air. The princess and the drama queen….fun to watch!

24 littlepetal { 02.02.12 at 3:56 pm }

Tom is turning out to be the nasty one. Let’s see whether he can cook or not. I actually don’ t mind Justine. She just like to stir things up.

25 littlepetal { 02.02.12 at 3:57 pm }

Oops, I forgot to mention that they may have to be like The Biggest Loser and have a medical team on stand by

26 brain dead dave { 02.02.12 at 4:00 pm }

It’s disappointing at my age but I’m finding Leigh quite attractive. In my city,too.

27 Georgie { 02.02.12 at 11:35 pm }

Someone should have taken their tile full of sweeties and slapped it onto the wall.

28 Leop { 02.03.12 at 8:07 am }

PollyB; good one.
Promos gave Jennifer a bad rap but finally caught it on playback last night and she has a lot of calmness about her – she and Leigh worked well together; didnt like the sound of the scraping on the tile, very offputting and possibly difficult to pick up food with utensils. Nice couple of girls hope they do well (also like the Soldiers!)

29 cookie { 02.03.12 at 10:12 am }

Was it just me or did anyone else think that the dessert was very similar to the one Dan Hong from MsG’s made on MasterChef that eliminated Jay….. Pandan Chiffon cake served on a tile – yes it was coconut in the praline and black sesame icecream but the sago was identical and so was the way everything was set out on the plate (sorry tile!)
Maybe the score was so low as Manu and Pete realised the Princess had attempted to rip off a rival shows recipe

30 ali { 02.04.12 at 10:08 am }

cilinary boner
what a wanker

31 sue N { 02.04.12 at 11:29 am }

ali….huh???????

32 Anonimus person that is awesome { 02.17.12 at 10:48 am }

jennifer is pregnant……… hmmmmm dont really know what to nake of that except for some reason i like her more…. may have something to with the fact i wan kids when im older, and prego women just look so cute for some reason……. its like awwwwwwwww shes prego!!!! be nice t her……