My Kitchen Rules – New Zealand’s Time To Cook

The relationship Meg and Simon have is a lovely one. Tonight they were having major issues with their oven and not once did they get angry with each other

Meg clearly had not thought about the editing of My Kitchen Rules and the fact there were going to be sheep jokes put in at the New Zealands team expense. As she said “Sometimes we just jump over the fence and grab a sheep and take it home.”

Entree was pan-seared scallops with broccoli ginger puree and lemon beurre blanc, main was NZ lamb with kumera puree, asparagus, port plum jus, and dessert was pavlova.

Jennifer thought the menu was overly simple.

They had a few dramas in the kitchen with one of their ovens not working properly when she was cooking the pavs. Also she could not get her lemon beurre blanc right and kept on turfing it.

The judges loved the entree. However the other contestants had their claws out. Jennifer said she was disappointed with everything when she looked down at the plate. Also she said she had no beurre blanc. Tom could not taste the ginger and said he was a little bit disappointed.

Steve disagreed and said he could not fault it.

Tom continued to bitch, saying cooking lamb was easy and if they could not “slam this in it was fail”.

Pete Evans batted it straight back at him and said “Cooking twelve racks of lamb is that an easy job?”

And it wasn’t because the oven was being temperamental and the lamb was not cooking properly. And some were undercooked.

Manu said it was a pleasant dish but it was not there yet. All of the contestants complained that the lamb was too rare except for Scott.

The pavlovas looked shocking, they were brown. Pete said what they presentation was pretty bad.

Tom said it was one of the worst desserts he had had. Carla said “she would not feed to her cat” Not sure why Tom found that so funny, who feeds pav to their cat?

David was nice about it and said he was happy with his dessert.

The contestants were told about the oven issue and I think there were some sympathy points there. Qld boys gave them a seven, NSW gave them a six, SA gave them five, Vic gave them a four, as did WA.

Manu gave them an eight for entree, five for main and three for dessert.

Peter gave them an eight, six for main and two for dessert. Lowest score ever for a dish on My Kitchen Rules? They scored a total of 58 and they are on the bottom of the ladder.

1 littlepetal { 02.02.12 at 10:38 pm }

Love the way how Jennifer dissected the dessert!!! Instead of tasting the food she literally just chopped it up to see.

I have some gossip here. Read in the official forum:

Someone wrote and said he dated her before while she in the interntational class doing a commercial cookery course at TAFE SA adelaide. That was in 2005. She was also the dux of her class. Also mentioned that she had worked in restaurants before.

Also read on Facebook about her being a chef before.

We know why she was picked for the show. She has entertainment values because everyone who watches the show talk about her.

The true colours of Tom and Carla are slowly coming out, especially Tom. He better know how to cook.

2 Dutch Courage { 02.02.12 at 11:03 pm }

Feel sorry for the Kiwi couple, they seem lovely people but they didn’t have a good night. I’m not happy with Tom representing Victoria, he’s a pretentious asshole. Hope he’ll be kicked out soon!

3 waynidge { 02.02.12 at 11:11 pm }

some of the comments being made were for me more disgusting than the pavlova was! Carla ” i wouldn’t feed it to my cat” lady i’d feed it to u because your a dog! As for tom he thought the welcoming was quote “abit overkill” boy thats our culture something u probably know little about! Jennifer thought the menu was simple? Girl u simply ain’t no kate middleton! Princess my a.h! As for the truck driver… Whens the last time u skipped a meal? Thumbs up to the nsw and qld pairs theyre all round positive people which is awesome to see.

4 Anonymous { 02.02.12 at 11:15 pm }

Your grammar is terrible! You need to read what you write

5 brain dead dave { 02.02.12 at 11:23 pm }

Gee,that’s brave of you,”Anonymous”

6 waynidge { 02.02.12 at 11:25 pm }

like your face

7 Dutch Courage { 02.02.12 at 11:30 pm }

Anonymous, this forum is about commenting on MKR episodes. What’s the point criticising someones grammar? Are you Tom from VIC?

8 waynidge { 02.02.12 at 11:34 pm }

i think your onto something there dutch courage

9 waynidge { 02.02.12 at 11:42 pm }

anonymous, im like the kiwi couple, may not be perfect but i put my heart on the plate!!

10 Georgie { 02.02.12 at 11:47 pm }

Anonymous – you forgot the ‘full stop’ at the end of your second sentence.

11 brain dead dave { 02.02.12 at 11:49 pm }

I’d hate to think what Carla’s pussy has to eat.

12 Georgie { 02.02.12 at 11:51 pm }

Tom’s face by the look of it.

13 brain dead dave { 02.02.12 at 11:55 pm }

Lol. Yeah,Tom’s Whiskas.

14 Georgie { 02.03.12 at 12:02 am }

Tom’s catty and Carla’s no pussy either.

15 brain dead dave { 02.03.12 at 12:09 am }

MKR …..My Kitten Rules.

16 Georgie { 02.03.12 at 12:17 am }

LMTO – they’ll probably serve fish.

17 Chunks { 02.03.12 at 1:27 am }

The nasty ones haven’t wasted any time getting themselves some airtime in this series. Can’t WAIT for Tom’s turn to cook.

18 kathl29 { 02.03.12 at 1:32 am }

Although Jennifer has been portrayed as the villain in the promo’s I do not think she is too bad. She obviously does know about food but phrases what she thinks very badly.

For me Tom and Carla are my least liked couple – they are obviously judging the food in a far more strategic manner than the other couples to ensure that they can progress through this round. It will be interesting to see if they can cook as well as they imply that they can. Some of the comments they are making about the other contestants food are just plain rude instead of being constructively critical.

However every good show needs someone to hate so I guess they are going to fill that role.

I was disappointed for the New Zealand couple as they are obviously very genuine and have good food knowledge and it was a shame they had so many oven problems although oven problems seems to be a recurring theme in this series so far.

19 JM { 02.03.12 at 7:06 am }

I read somewhere that only 4 of the couples are using their own real kitchens. Because houses are often open-plan these days the kitchens aren’t separated from the dining room etc. etc. couples who don’t have a separate kitchen have been using “prop” or friends/relatives’ houses – I think this shows in the problems with people have suddenly been having with their ovens (they don’t know the ovens and have never cooked in the before). In the first show the Greek brother and sister used their brother’s house and this is why they couldn’t work the oven which was installed the night before.

20 PollyB { 02.03.12 at 7:17 am }

I thought this was a boring episode because of all the problems. Couldn’t get the beurre blanc to work, no pavs, raw lamb. Contestants know in advance where they are filming, why not test run the oven before. A couple of times. Every good cook knows all ovens are different.

21 Leop { 02.03.12 at 8:14 am }

RR; agree, Meg’s dress was stunning, on her, at Jennifer & Leigh’s dinner party. Felt really bad for Meg & Simon; really lovely couple and they didnt get much chance to shine with oven probs. Id like to see them stay in the show.
Hope Thomarse gets to eat his own just desserts, like a score of 48!:)

22 Oz { 02.03.12 at 9:25 am }

I was enjoying Jenn’s entertaining ‘yeah’ and blondness until last night. Calling NZers simple on National and NZ TV is just not on! She needs to watch what she says! NZers and Aussies do banter back and forth but calling all NZers simple is not harmless banter! I really wanted to slap her last night! And saying they are behind! Actually technically sweatheart they are 2 (sometimes 3) hours in front of us! She needs to think before she speaks!

I felt so sorry for the NZ couple, i was really hoping they’d do good since they are the underdogs in this years comp. I do think they have so much more they have to offer and i hope they don’t leave too soon to show us what they can do!

And for the oven – as much as you test and try the oven before hand it can still break just that one time when you need it the most (it’s happened to me).

As for previous comment on here that mentioned the ‘truck driver’… that’s a pretty low act when you don’t even know why she is overweight! She could have health issues which may contribute to it. She is healthy and happy and that should be all that matters! Why poke fun at someones weight? Some of the most famous chefs are overweight! This is a cooking show as far as i know!

I also hope Thomas has karma come back to bite him on the bottom! Gotta love Karma!

23 littlepetal { 02.03.12 at 9:43 am }

Well said, Oz

24 Anonymous { 02.03.12 at 10:07 am }

I thought Anonymous 4 was cracking a joke actually, referring to the previous Anonymous who wrote about RR’s grammar etc. I too am choosing to post as ‘Anonymous’. I don’t see how using a screen name is ‘brave’. By the way, Brain Dead Dave – I remember you from Monty’s forum years ago. You were growling and spitting contempt about the size of 18 year old Tarisai’s thighs on Aus Idol. You haven’t changed at all!

25 Anonymous { 02.03.12 at 10:21 am }

I phoned TAFE SA Adelaide – Jennifer was never any dux of any class.

26 Georgie { 02.03.12 at 10:40 am }

Anonymous 1 – the difference between your ID and a ‘screen name’ is that at least posters have a more unique identity and others can respond the them if they wish.

Anonymous 2 – I’m not saying this information is correct or anything because I wouldn’t know:
“Someone wrote and said he dated her before while she in the interntational class doing a commercial cookery course at TAFE SA adelaide. That was in 2005. She was also the dux of her class.”

However, I work for TAFE NSW and what I do know is that nobody(especially someone called Anonymous) can ring up and get personal information like that about another person, not even their Mother!

Students have online access to their own records and if someone rings up, they are asked a lot of personal questions to establish they are the actual student before any questions are answered.

27 kleenex mum { 02.03.12 at 11:24 am }

Do we know what thomas does for a living, sorry have no time for his untidy, messy looks and his cocky attitude….cant wait to see what he and his “friend ” serve up it would want to be dam good.

28 Culinary Boner { 02.03.12 at 12:05 pm }

Thomas looks like a Trust-fund kiddie if you ask me.

29 brain dead dave { 02.03.12 at 12:33 pm }

I don’t remember you, “Anonymous”. Funny about that.

Yes , I blogged for many years on reality TV on Garth Montgomery’s blog at the Telegraph. Thanks for the publicity.

30 Lisa { 02.03.12 at 1:22 pm }

Kleenex Mum, Thomas is a podiatrist but has just been accepted to law school. Guess I’d be cranky-pants too if I had to look at feet all day long!

31 Cherry Gripe { 02.03.12 at 1:25 pm }

Thomas is proving to be a nasssty little bitch, isn’t he? Pretty uppity for someone who turned up at a dinner party dressed like a hobo. Was it *really* too much effort to button his shirt?

Steve and Helen seem like such nice people. I love the way Steve always leaps to everyone’s defence. The soldiers seem like good sorts too. The bit where Scott says, “Shoot straight, you bastards!” in next week’s promo cracked me up.

32 brain dead dave { 02.03.12 at 3:29 pm }

I should add that my comments above are in no way related to the bloggers here who go by the names of Anonymousse and anonymice, which I recognize and am familiar with as clever ,individual wordplays.

Not to be confused with the BS artist who claims to have called TAFE. You’d be out of your depth in a birdbath.

33 nanaliz { 02.03.12 at 3:47 pm }

Is there a full moon at the moment? Many have got the nasties out. One of the earlier eps someone got extremly personal with their critism….Not necessary… and a childish outburst. Ok you don’t like Justine – your opinion, I find her up front and constructive when critising some food. On the other hand Jennifer comes out with stupid comments. Think girl. That Tom and Carla are just nasty, it may be strategic but could come back to bite them. Helen and Steve seem really nice and genuin. The jury is still out with Kiwis. I am really worried about the boys. The promo looks as though they have trouble with pastry. As an inhabitant of the tropics I wouldn’t touch pastry in tropics as heat and humidity plays havoc with it. Really enjoy the show and most of these blogs.

34 Wurstsemmel { 02.03.12 at 4:55 pm }

Jennifer is a true reality tv villain. Someone you love to hate. Most of us are having fun with some of the crap she comes out with. My opinion of her increased after she cooked the other night – quite complex dishes, she obviously knows her stuff – and she pretty much carried it herself – her partner seemed to merely be a ‘hired hand’.
The real nastiness here lies with Thomas and Carla. There’s nothing humorous about their comments at all, although I might have been distracted by a ‘Roxanne’ moment when Carla presented her profile to the camera. I nearly ducked. Hope they cock up in a major way. Can’t wait to see the back of both of them.

35 Andrea { 02.03.12 at 6:40 pm }

Thomas and Carla dont seem to be very popular do they? I agree , they are a snobby pair and I cant wait to see what they cook! Jennifer I dont mind at all, she is a good cook but sometimes says the wrong thing such as New Zealanders being simple and backwards. I recently visited that country for the first time and I found the people very nice and welcoming, they are just the same as Australians, good and bad just like us. Looking forward to seeing the soldiers cook also.

36 Gia { 02.03.12 at 11:32 pm }

Thomas reminds me of Draco Malfoy.

37 ali { 02.04.12 at 10:02 am }

what a bunch of ignorant small minded contestants.and as for the so called professional chefs who want to be part of such a program i rest my case. bring on master chef any day.that’s professionalism.i found the comments in last weeks program insulting to country and culture.they went far beyond friendly rivalry.to Jennifer, tom and Carla crash and burn. karma has you in its sights.

38 Leop { 02.04.12 at 11:20 am }

Gia, YES! that’s who he is………… what a hoot.

39 sue N { 02.04.12 at 11:37 am }

masterchef=professionalism???? Throwing a plate of food on the floor is professional????? Salivating over female contestants is professional????? I can only hope your post is meant to be a (bad) joke!!! :)

40 brain dead dave { 02.04.12 at 1:30 pm }

The perving, double dipping chefs and cravatted whale on Ma$terchef are a disgrace. Mediocrity disguised as profe$$ionalism. A gorilla could see that.

41 brain dead dave { 02.04.12 at 2:04 pm }

Having just watched the encore on 7 two, I have to agree that Tom’s grooming skills are appallingly unacceptable. I can’t see how he’d even be allowed into hotels and restaurants. He’s pie cart material.

42 jord { 02.04.12 at 3:26 pm }

The only thing I’m not liking about MKR this year is the scoring, I wish it was based more on the food and less on strategy.

43 Michelle { 07.30.12 at 6:44 am }

the only backward thing in NZ at that time was Jennifer who looks like she’s part down syndrome

44 Halo { 07.30.12 at 9:01 am }

Well that was embarrassing, the kiwis couldnt even cook pavlovas if thats what you would call those, I would call them Meringues but anyway. Man Tom and Carla are not very nice people, surely they could say constructive things instead of kicking them in the teeth. Jennifer is a character but a great cook, except for her dessert! My favourite couple is the Italian brother and sister. Always have nice things to say about the food! Thats the kind of people we like.

Meg is claiming to be aged 34 in a nz magazine!!!would like to see her birth cert?

45 nosinet { 08.21.12 at 7:27 pm }

I’ve been strugling to remember where I’ve seen it and yes that’s it . .. that’s where I’ve seen it . .. Carla eats like a monkey using a stick in a termite mound . .. yes that it URGH!