My Kitchen Rules – Scott and David – They Tanked

Unfortunately for Scott and David it is not a voting show, because if they were they would have the whole of the defence forces pushing them to the top of the leader board. But they had to stand on their own two feet and their army cliche sayings.

These cliches went with the predictable army theme of their instant restaurant. Thankfully there were no human collateral damage but some red-claws felt their defence force skills as they were put to sleep by the silent assassins.

Props to the pair who actually appeared to get a lot of stuff done in their three hour prep time, including stuffing up their pastry for dessert twice.

Also loved the improv rolling pin which was a wine bottle.

There entree was Red Claw with a fruit salsa, their main was Surf and Turf, and Dessert was Mango and Macadamia Nut Flan.

The guests on arrival were given sherry as this is what officers get in the mess at the start of dinner. Jennifer piped up that it should be served cold. I had always thought room temperature, but to be honest sherry is not my specialist subject.

Angela went off to get an ice cube to put in it, and Jennifer helpfully said to camera “if you don’t know anything about it zip it.” I was not quite sure she was talking about herself or Angela.

The entree of red claw was served and they loved the presentation and also Pete thought it melted in the mouth. However neither judge liked the tropical fruit with seafood, and said it clashes. David and Scott said this was North Queensland cuisine.

The other contestants laid the boot in as well.

The guys also had issues with their steak of the surf and turf as they over cooked the steak because they relied on a meat thermometer.  Well actually the meat thermometer was accurate it was the people using it that stuffed up.  They thought medium rare was 68 degrees, in fact as Pete Evans told them it was 55 degrees. Pete did not like the presentation and he thought it looked dead. Manu did not like the Bearnaise sauce and also he was not happy with a well done steak.

The two army guys looked like they were about to weep.

However the did well with the dessert, and Pete managed to get a “bullseye” comment in. The SA girls got a tart with raw pastry, but the NZ team thought it looked exactly the same  as theirs.

The NZ team scored them a five, Vic gave them a six,  SA a six, WA gave a five, NSW gave a five.

Pete gave four for entree, five for main and nine for dessert.

Manu gave five for entree, four for main and ten for dessert. I thought this was a bit over the top as it did not look like a perfect dessert. Leigh looked underwhelmed by this, and Meg from the New Zealand team did not look real happy either.

This gave the a total score of 64. Which means the New Zealand team are still on the bottom of the scoreboard.

1 littlepetal { 02.06.12 at 10:53 pm }

I have the same meat thermometer as the boys. What was shown on the meat thermometer for cooking various meat and fish were at a higher temperature. For example, the thermometer indicates that I have to cooked my chicken to 82C to be cooked. Guess what, I was like the boys I cooked the chicken to 82C (which took a long time to get there) and my chicken was overcooked. When I checked on the internet, the recommended temperature is 75C.

I checked my thermometer and it did say for medium rare beef to cook to 66C, thus the problem with the boys steak.

Maybe kiwi fruits and lycee doesn’t go with the red claw but for the Princess to say never mix fruits and seafood was rubbish. In Thai dishes they used lots of green mango and green papaya in their salad and they go with seafood.

When the judges think the dessert was spot on (I am surprise with the judges comment because they really seemed to have a problem with the pastry as it was made in a cake mixer instead of a food processor) the Princess has to find something negative to comment.

You can tell from the comments given by the boys that the dessert will be hit and not a failure as the show wanted us to believe.

2 Dutch Courage { 02.06.12 at 11:13 pm }

Wow, these 2 bitches from SA are really unlucky. How did they manage to get the only 2 versions of the dessert that were not up to scratch. They had raw pastry while all the others loved theirs and Manu scored it a 10. Something wrong here…..

3 sue N { 02.06.12 at 11:18 pm }

I just really want the Vic team to bomb so badly!!!!!!! 😉 & I am glad the boys are not on the bottom, but they will need to lift their game.

I do think there was some VERY strategic scoring tonite, but they got bummed by the stupid thermometer a tad- still they should have relied on their “gut”, lol.

I’ll bet they cringed at all the cliches they had to say for their nite- I am laying odds they are not normally that colloquial!!! 😉

& yes, I have always known sherry to be served at room temp, and especially in the army messes….

4 Moonstruck { 02.06.12 at 11:55 pm }

Though I’m from Victoria I also hope they bomb out. Were last seasons contestants as critical?

5 Chunks { 02.06.12 at 11:58 pm }

Littlepetal fruit can be fine if it’s green as in green papaya and green mango salads, or if it’s used sparingly in savoury dishes, but all that sticky sweetness would ruin a delicate flavour like freshwater crayfish. Erk. Even the addition of some lime juice may have helped.

6 KatInEurope { 02.07.12 at 12:17 am }

Haven’t seen this episode, but some sherries are served cold (the bone dry ones like Fino or Manzanilla), others at room temperature – but it isn’t a hard and fast rule, there’s a fashion for serving Olorosso over ice. Especially if it is ropey cheap shit.

7 Anonymice { 02.07.12 at 1:17 am }

Princess “serving fruit with seafood???…Not sure about that…!” Bitch Justine (I think that’s her name) pipes in, quickly opposing Princess “I eat fruit with seafood..what’s the big deal” (Or, something to that effect.) Pete…”serving fruit with seafood is a big no-no..”” hahahahaha Strike 1 Justine! As much as I find Princess annoying and at times inappropriate, at least she says what she thinks and is genuine about it. It appears that Justine is just opposing Jennifer just for the sake of it. Not cool and very bitchy! What’s with the increased nastiness of contestants this year? Some are giving our friend Deni “Demi” Hines a run for her money.

8 Anonymous { 02.07.12 at 6:57 am }

I think the boys kept two underdone tarts aside for the two overdone tarts.

9 Georgie { 02.07.12 at 7:01 am }

Oops ’twas me. My ID must have disappeared from my iPod with the last software upgrade!

10 littlepetal { 02.07.12 at 8:10 am }

Chunks – I know. I am only having ago at the Princess but she can’t make a general statement stating strongly that you don’t mix fruits and seafood when green mango or papaya are still known as fruits.

Prawn, Mango Salad is beautiful.

Again looking forward to tonight episode to watch how Tom will react to the negative comments on his dishes. He is slowly but surely turning into the real villain.

11 Leop { 02.07.12 at 9:02 am }

Found last nights episode entertaining with the banter and well run kitchen – very calm considering – the ‘guests’ were very tame – maybe thats just the editing – Wonder if Thomas (Vic) will get his upcommance tonight and be last on leader board? Don’t want the Kiwi’s to go; I think its a great idea incorporating our Bros. Gee, the editing did make a song and dance about the ‘tough’ meat, c’mon already, we got it………..

12 Hill Top Dreamer { 02.07.12 at 9:45 am }

Princess put her food where her mouth is – so to speak. NZ tanked and were an embarrassment to watch. The Vic team are coming through as the silent assassins. If their food is not up to par they will be hammered. Is this the team that the early promos saw the guests discussing s ores of zero?

13 Mrs T { 02.07.12 at 10:43 am }

I had a few “yell at the TV” moments with this episode, “more flour” for the tarts, “take the friggin stake out!” with the beef. The boys worked like a well oiled machine but just fell over by relying too much on the thermometer and not trying all the elements together for the entree. I think they can still be competitive.
I too was wondering if last season was as critical?
Fingers crossed tonights episode will be a cracker, I’d like to see what the Vics have.

14 nanaliz { 02.07.12 at 11:03 am }

Absolutely love your post, Anonymouse, re tarts. Haven’t stopped laughing since I read it.
Son is in army and well oiled machine is practiced in all meal making at his place. I feel like I should salute when helping sometimes. I have always had sherry at room temp. There is a lot of restarant meals served with fruit up here and surf and turf is on most menus in tropics.

15 Leop { 02.07.12 at 11:12 am }

Mrs T; last season was quite bitchy with SA couple and Mel from Tassie – everything in fact on realitytv has been edited to an inch of its 5 minutes of on-trend tv; I think thats why Celebrity Apprentice was so exciting as they left a lot of the nasty bits and fun in. Now everyone is nice and polite and that equals boring for us armchair critics. Didnt even get phased with anything Princess has said – so don’t know how they are making her out to be a villain, she has a just a bit of foot in mouth and probably can’t substantiate what she says anyhow – bit meh

16 Reality Raver { 02.07.12 at 11:19 am }

Yikes no fruit with seafood, I have been know to serve a mango salsa with fresh oyster, I better delete that from my very limited culinary repetoire.

The NZ team will only be up for elimination against the other bottom team unless the twist is tonight that one team is going to be eliminated but I doubt it considering they will be trying to get as many episodes out of the high rating show.

17 Bruiser Brody { 02.07.12 at 12:44 pm }

In order of niceness:
Greeks – always pleasant
Kiwis – usually nice, but obv strategic voting now to un-bury themselves
Army – honest
Daylight…
The rest… WA are doing my head in, can’t even put the ‘class’ in “bogan class”! Yes, we get it the steak is tough, please make 15 more comments about it… Yes Justine, you are a “desert eater”, please take everything Jen says personally… Yes Princesses you are experts and are the only ones being served raw pastry… Melbourne you have got to be joking – your heightened pallet certainly puts you in an elite class – best be scoring perfect 10s tonite!
And apols to “The Desert Eater” but who gives a fk about deserts?!? Entree/ Main should be out of 4 – deserts out of 2!

How do any of these contestants stuff up their meals so badly? Army boys should’ve practiced/ researched cooking steak for a solid week before just trusting a thermometer, and then whipping up the Army-shortcut-mess hall bernaisse!

Still can’t get over “Garden Of Eatin” – CLASS!!

18 Warble { 02.07.12 at 12:47 pm }

So I’m guessing lemon with fish is a no no Pete?

19 nanaliz { 02.07.12 at 3:02 pm }

Tomatoes are fruit, so does that mean all the beautiful Italian pasta dishes using seafood and tomatoes are out too????

20 Culinary Boner { 02.07.12 at 3:17 pm }

I thought it was cheese and fish that was a bit of a no-no, not fruit – as in the ‘classic’ smoked cod, macaroni, celery, stuffed olives, cream and cheddar cheese bake that is a guilty indulgence, but is in reality sort of meal even a ravenous dog would baulk at the look and smell of.

21 Georgie { 02.07.12 at 8:22 pm }

Yeh – ‘Catty Tom’ and ‘Carla’s no Pussy’ are bombing so badly they’re talking pot shots at each other. LMAO!

22 Chels { 02.07.12 at 8:40 pm }

Thomas = a young Glen Robins/Kel from Kath and Kim

23 littlepetal { 02.07.12 at 9:08 pm }

Poor diners!!! Have to wait for almost 2 hrs for some meatballs on so called roti. Where is the presentation? Did you notice that many of them said the same thing including the judges about the mains. No love in the dish. Must be a line given by the producers. Is this the lowest score ever MKR?? Will check this out.

24 littlepetal { 02.07.12 at 9:15 pm }

Yeah…. Tom and Carla got the lowest score ever on MKR. Even in S1 the lowest score was 49 out of 100. I think Tom won’t be so cocky anymore.