Excess Baggage – Some Random Thoughts
Channel NINE are in a world of pain with Excess Baggage at the moment. In the game of chicken it is playing with the other reality weight show The Biggest Loser, it looks like it is going to be the one to swerve out of the oncoming traffic first.
To be fair it was always going to be tough with two weight reality TV shows going head to head and viewers are either going to prefer the dramatics of The Biggest Loser or the more holistic nature, the personalities and locations.
However here are some random thoughts about the show:
- Last night there was a swimming challenge which was a perfect opportunity for some shots of personal trainer, Christian sans shirt but sex does sell. Yes I know it is gratuitous but this strategy has worked for Survivor which has lasted over 22 seasons in the USA?
- To attract the viewer into watching program it would have been good to have seen a weekly competition where the prize was a trip to the area of Australia which was being showcased that week on the show;
- What was thought to be an advantage of having great scenery and different locations may have meant a decrease in drama, as it is harder for the contestants to get on each other nerves as you do when you are locked in a house with limited contact with the outside world;
- The backstories are always interesting and Lana is 31 years old and never been kissed. Why? She is attractive she must have zero self confidence;
- Dr Tim the show’s psych goes under the handle of @drhappy on Twitter, which I swear my friends of friends tell me was the name of at least five drug dealers at the raves in the nineties however he uses paintbrushes as his truth serum;
- Ajay Rochester talked about being adopted and her birth mother committing suicide after she had re-connected with her which must have been very traumatic;
- Nathan talked about his fear of being gay bashed, and Kate Dearaugo talked about her negative thoughts that are holding them back.
What are your thoughts on Excess Baggage, what do you like or not like about the show?
UPDATE: Adnews is reporting the show will be moved to GO next week at 6.30pm time slot. The Australian confirms it.