Excess Baggage – Some Random Thoughts

Channel NINE are in a world of pain with Excess Baggage at the moment. In the game of chicken it is playing with the other reality weight show The Biggest Loser, it looks like it is going to be the one to swerve out of the oncoming traffic first.

To be fair it was always going to be tough with two weight reality TV shows going head to head and viewers are either going to prefer the dramatics of The Biggest Loser or the more holistic nature, the personalities and locations.

However here are some random thoughts about the show:

• Last night there was a swimming challenge which was a perfect opportunity for some shots of personal trainer, Christian sans shirt but sex does sell.  Yes I know it is gratuitous but this strategy has worked for Survivor which has lasted over 22 seasons in the USA?
  • To attract the viewer into watching program it would have been good to have seen a weekly competition where the prize was a trip to the area of Australia which was being showcased that week on the show;
  • What was thought to be an advantage of having great scenery and different locations may have meant a decrease in drama, as it is harder for the contestants to get on each other nerves as you do when you are locked in a house with limited contact with the outside world;
  • The backstories are always interesting and Lana is 31 years old and never been kissed. Why? She is attractive she must have zero self confidence;
  • Dr Tim the show’s psych goes under the handle of @drhappy on Twitter, which I swear my friends of friends tell me was the name of at least five drug dealers at the raves in the nineties however he uses paintbrushes as his truth serum;
  • Ajay Rochester talked about being adopted and her birth mother committing suicide after she had re-connected with her which must have been very traumatic;
  • Nathan talked about his fear of being gay bashed, and Kate Dearaugo talked about her negative thoughts that are holding them back.

What are your thoughts on Excess Baggage, what do you like or not like about the show?

UPDATE: Adnews is reporting the show will be moved to GO next week  at 6.30pm time slot. The Australian confirms it.

1 EnGy { 02.07.12 at 4:45 pm }

Oh this news made me jump for joy at my desk.
One of my least favourite shows axed to make room for more of my favourite shows. It’s like Christmas!

I just hope they don’t bump Big Brother forward!

2 Culinary Boner { 02.07.12 at 4:45 pm }

*sob* no more Ajay on my live-to-air screen *sob*

How am I going to play Dr Slappy to her Nurse Curvalicious??

Gee, if I was working at Nine reality production I’d be fleeing the sinking ship with a transfer to either their rugby league coverage team or to their overseas program buying squad.

3 EnGy { 02.07.12 at 4:49 pm }

She was never live-to-air CB!

Also, I think I love you (For your comments, of course)

4 Susan { 02.07.12 at 5:14 pm }

I have been watching this most nights and it has been rather dull ….. I do like all of the people on the show and as you have mentioned before RR, you do sort of need a villian.
Darren Lyons was headed down that track but seems to have reigned it in – his relationship with his partner Lisa seems to be on the improve – she does cry a lot!
K-Fed has really added no weight (boom tish) to this show – he doesn’t have much of a personality and hasn’t spilled any gossip on Britney at all!
Ajay is awful friendly with her team mate – not sure his wife would have liked the ‘wifey’ comment Ajay made about their relationship…………
I think Lana hasnt been kissed cos she too is rather bland ……………
Dipper and Christine Anu really seem like the only celbrities that are letting their true feelings be shown.
The only highlight appears to be this week when Gabby seems to lose it with the trainer.
Everyone just seems to get along fine.
Meh!

5 JM { 02.07.12 at 7:18 pm }

I’m just furious that repeats of this garbage has bumped my favourite show “The View” from weekdays at 1pm. I’m so upset about it.

6 seepi { 02.07.12 at 9:01 pm }

I like it… GO is still free to air isnt’ it?

Ajay is a bit close with her partner. Dipper seems like a nice guy – Cristina anu seems nice too.

I think the paparazi guy just wants to be able3 to run after his victims faster.

7 seepi { 02.07.12 at 9:02 pm }

Meant to say – the show is ok, far worse has grabbed viewers. Death by stupid timeslot i think.

8 JaniceG { 02.07.12 at 9:28 pm }

Didn’t realize until this article that they hadn’t originally intended to go up against Biggest Loser. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv-radio/excess-baggage-the-clear-ratings-loser/story-e6frf9ho-1226264934953

9 Andrea { 02.07.12 at 9:57 pm }

Its boring, boring, boring!!!! Also to J.M I agree with you, Im sick of channel nine taking off TheView for this show, they also do it constantly for Days of Our Lives which loyal viewers have followed for years, they just do what they like! I have noticed that sometimes The View has been put on Go channel but I wish theyd do that with the cricket too!

10 Paul { 02.07.12 at 9:59 pm }

*Ad campaign was atrocious. Lines were gimmicky, no explanation as to how show was to proceed, no focus on host. What was the prize by the way?

*Host had no connection to the actual show. Bouris and Celebrity Apprentice fit well. What does Kate Cebrano have to do with weight loss?

*Non entity celebrities.

*Do not place try hard celebrities in shows. Its extremely transparent these days and is a real turn off as the viewer is made to feel that they are a vehicle for relaunching someone’s career. I’m looking at you Ajay (sorry CB :) )

*Bad time slot. People don’t want to watch weight loss shows over dinner. Also demographic they would be aiming at would be women aged 30-50. So here they are having spent an hour in the kitchen cooking for the family and then they sit down to eat dinner only to be lectured at about food !!!!!

*Set was bland and again had no connection to the actual purpose of the show – which I’m still struggling with.

It will die a slow, lingering death on Go.

11 littlepetal { 02.07.12 at 10:10 pm }

Have to agree with you Paul.

12 smauge { 02.07.12 at 10:41 pm }

Kate Ceberano is completely superfluous. She pops up now and then, just enough for me to think “why the hell are you on this show?”. It is dull unfortunately, but like an Asperger, I need closure, so I will continue to watch on Go. At least now I can tape MKR and BL with out worrying about it clashing with a third show. You must be happy about that RR.

13 captainfalcon { 02.08.12 at 9:31 am }

… and Channel Nine to replace Excess Baggage with reruns of The Big Bang Theory.

Excess Baggage was a brave attempt at showing the deeper issues concerning obesity. Perfect example: last nights discussion around the fire. It demonstrates how everyday people can make healthy decisions in their lives without depriving themselves of food and exercising 5 hours a day (TBL). At the end of the day, this show aims to inspire people where others just aim to entertain.

Obviously there are some flaws, but for a brand new show that was never released to a test audience, surely channel nine can give it a couple weeks before sending it to the chopping block.

Disappointed that Channel Nine doesn’t have integrity to stick behind a made-in-australia show. Listen, many of you may not have enjoyed the show as much as I have, but regardless I will ALWAYS support Australian programming over US hand-me-down crap.

14 kess { 02.08.12 at 12:05 pm }

Watched a bit of this with repeats over the weekend
No wonder it’s flopped, it’s utterly boring
Doomed before it started – how could you cast such boring coach/fitness guy, he’s terrible
Surprise – kfed seems like a nice but boring guy

15 Danii { 03.14.12 at 3:05 am }

I love it. End of story :)