My Kitchen Rules – Tom and Carla Cook

Oh Channel Seven you crafty things you. You set up the Victorians as the smug commentators and then you give us an episode where the smirks are wiped from their faces.

Tonight it was Tom and Carla’s turn to cook and their theme was Grazed which seemed like a racing theme, I am sure a Victorian team last series had a similar theme.

For entree they served Wheat Beer and Mussel Soup, main was Lamb Kofta with Smoked Eggplant, Pistachio Tabouli and homemade Roti, and dessert was Minature Lavender and Blueberry Cheesecake.

The question has to be asked what did they do in their prep time of three hours. OK they stuffed around for 20 minutes of it looking for lost groceries, but they only appeared to have done the soup, bread and the base of the cheesecake in the allotted time.

They had done no prep for the main and the guests had to wait two and a half hours between entree and main. Points should be deducted because of that. Also the wait between main and dessert was an hour and twenty minutes. It is a wonder they were not all sozzled.

Their meal started out on a high.

Manu loved the entree as did Pete, he thought the mussels had been cooked perfectly. However Leigh from SA was having issues about the mussels as she thought the beards were still in there.

The main was a disaster. Even with the length of time it took them to cook they then spent ages plating up and fighting over how much greek yoghurt should go on the plate. All it was really was an up market kebab. Tom had not even tasted the meat and this got them into strife as they were raw and had no flavour.

Pete Evans said he was really disappointed and Tom got razzed for not tasting it and called it boring meatballs. Manu criticised the tabouli for not having enough parsley in it, nor was the eggplant smokey enough.

Then it was time to pour the lavender and blueberry bit onto the cheesecake and this was to take an hour to set in the freezer, however it took much longer.

Manu said it was the worst thing he had had in his mouth. That is a big call, and Pete said it tastes like soap and it was inedible. Tom disagreed.

I was surprised that Pete after laying down the law about not mixing seafood with fruit, did no say you should not cook flowers with anything.

Simon from the New Zealand team dramatically spat his out. However not much of it was eaten by any of their fellow contestants.

However the scores were not going to be good.

SA gave them a four, Qld gave a four, NZ gave a four, NSW gave them a four, WA gave a four. This was  a total of 20 out of 50.

Manu gave an eight for entree, four for main, and one for dessert

Pete gave a nine for entree, three for main, one for dessert

They got a total of forty six and this landed them in last place. However the twist was the bottom three teams of New Zealand, the Queensland boys and the Victorians will be up for elimination, but first the next six teams have to cook. This kicks off tomorrow night and  those boys from Queensland will make Princess Jen and Leigh look like Mother Theresa.

1 littlepetal { 02.07.12 at 11:08 pm }

It would have been more fun if the second lot of Queensland boys were in the same group as the Princess. Would love to watch and hear the criticism between these 2 teams.

2 @Shelsta78 { 02.07.12 at 11:15 pm }

I have a feeling LittlePetal that the producers would not want to miss a golden opportunity like that and that they will at some point be cooking against each other in Faux-Kitchen Stadium

It was a great episode tonight – what I always find funny is that the cheftestants either do one of two things – cook something they’ve never made before and own it or cook something they’ve never made before and convincingly try and say its their ‘speciality’ a la tonight’s Lavender & Blueberry topped cheese cake.

I was a bit iffy on MKR last season but I have to say the format is much more amusing than Masterchef was last season and with them seeming to mirror the pace that was applied to The Block I think it’s a winning format over MC.

3 Wurstsemmel { 02.07.12 at 11:21 pm }

I enjoyed this episode so much. After the entree, I thought I was going to be disappointed but no… The glorified kebab takeaway chewederigjt up, the fight over the yoghurt added to my bliss bit the dessert…..the worst thing Manu had ever put in his mouth….and this was after saying he didn’t want tobe unkind……PRICELESS.

Of course, C7 had to ruin it by sending to other teams up for elimination also.

Thought the room set up was rathe RSL Melbourne cup, not polo at all. And Grazed sounds more like an injury….perhaps that’s why Carla threw the Pimms over the army guy.

And what’s with all the darlings and babes? Aren’t these two JUST FRIENDS??? Loved the way he shied away when she tried to kiss him. Gaydar going off.
A very satisfying result all around. Not that Thomas andCarla were buying any of the criticism. Muuhhaahhaa

4 Georgie { 02.07.12 at 11:33 pm }

Down in flames – spectacular.

I have to say though, that none of the couples in this group has really shown any genuine panache with their fare. It’s all been no better than ‘home cooked meals’ really.

5 Maz { 02.07.12 at 11:35 pm }

So far the best episode of the season though as Little Petal observed it would be better if Qld Boys II and the Princess where in the same group.

The editors seemed to have cut the number of ‘yeahs’ tonight unless the food was so bad it rendered her speechless.

6 Chunks { 02.08.12 at 12:16 am }

So far this lot are very unimpressive. They cook things they’ve never made before, they cook things that carry high risks of failure, they don’t taste the food during the cooking or after they’ve finished. And what is with this stupid fixation with flavouring things with lavender? Didn’t they see the Phil disaster in Masterchef? It’s not a food and has a quite unpleasant flavour. One can only hope the second lot have a few capable cooks among them. I almost felt sorry for Tom there, almost.

7 kathl29 { 02.08.12 at 12:44 am }

Loved this episode as it is always good to see someone who has been dishing out criticism take a fall.

I thought their mussel soup looked great and the princess girls were critical for no good reason with this dish. Their main was really boring looking and who does not try what they are serving (or at least cut into a spare one) to check the flavour and that it is cooked. If you are going on a cooking show surely you would have practiced each dish a number of times it is not as if they are in lockdown until it is their turn to cook.

I have never understood the fascination with using lavender as a flavouring and it must have been really horrible as they could not get one image of anyone not looking horrified when they tasted it.

Looking forward to tomorrow – some of the images of the food that is going to be served up by the second group made some of this first groups food look very boring and amateur. Will be interesting to see if they have split the groups up into the strong and weak teams from each state.

8 wallah { 02.08.12 at 1:11 am }

Looks like the ghost of Bernard King tomorrow haunting things in the next round. Can’t wait for the roflcopter to land….those Qld. guys look like great value! Speaking of, which Icehouse album did David walk off of?

9 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 7:54 am }

Looking forward to Tom’s cookbook hitting the shelves,
“Slow-cooking with toiletries Vol 1”.
Check out page 25 for his fab high-end dish of Veal Sweetbreads Braised in Chanel No 5.
Laffed my cologne off during this episode.
Was the main meant to be 3am catering for the Jersey Shore crew? Kebab heaven.

10 Anna { 02.08.12 at 8:27 am }

Last night was certainly a disaster. What I am curious about is are the contestants given the money to buy the food and decorations and, if so, how much is it?

11 Hill Top Dreamer { 02.08.12 at 8:32 am }

In defense of lavender – it can be used in cooking. I have culinary lavender in my pantry, actually is quite nice in scones. See http://www.bridestowelavender.com.au. It looked to me like they used about 100 times the required amount and was it culinary?

12 Anonymous { 02.08.12 at 8:44 am }

Yes! Hill Top Dreamer. Thanks for that. He put a hell of a lot in.

I had a tea faintly scented with lavender in a tea shop in Adelaide years ago that I’ve never forgotten and would love to try eg lavender icecream or a cake with lavender suger etc that you see on these cooking shows. To say lavender is not a food (oy! it’s a herb) is a bit limiting.

I think Tom is a gastro wanker. Excellent fun to see him fall on his face multiple times. When will his poor “friend” wake up to what an arrogant condescending cock he is?

13 kleenex mum { 02.08.12 at 8:45 am }

I to enjoyed last night, i to wondered about all the babes and darlings, and the one thing that really made me chuckle or puke was each time they finallllllllly got a meal on a plate they high fived by this point i would have wanted to slap my cooking partner mind you by desert it was a very wilted pathetic high five, what a joke these two were they got ther just deserts tom should stick to his day job cutting toe nails and rubbing lavender creams into corns of peoples feet.

14 donae { 02.08.12 at 8:49 am }

Yes, its just meant to be a hint of lavender, those of us who have used it had the heart attack early in the night when we
saw the quantity Tom used.

15 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 9:26 am }

Real men don’t eat lavender. Or rose water. Or frigging nasturtium flowers. Sorry girls but pot pourri has no place in cooking for blokes.

16 Anonymous { 02.08.12 at 9:33 am }

Or rose water…? Tell that to millions of Turks, etc.

17 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 9:53 am }

Anon, sure Turkish blokes have to endure rose water. My take on this sad reality is that this what occurs after centuries of pussy whipping.

I urge my fellow Aussie blokes to stand firm and call for a moratorium on the use of the waste products of the insidious florist industry in our food. And that includes Maggie Beer’s vanilla and elderflower ice cream abomination.

Stand firm guys. Otherwise we’ll be eating tonnes of unsold roses from Feb 14th infused into our pies and sausage rolls well into footy season. Thankfully they haven’t found a way to make them huggle bears into food yet.

18 Leop { 02.08.12 at 9:58 am }

Anonymous – exactly – no Tomfoolery in Turkey! – they are ‘real’ men –
A dash of rosewater ever so sexy, you should try it CB

19 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 10:16 am }

Only to dab behind my ears for the benefit of Mrs Boner or *sigh* Ajay

20 littlepetal { 02.08.12 at 10:18 am }

I have eaten lavender infused macarons and biscuits and they were really nice. Just a hint of lavender. Their soup must be really tasty but they didn’t them gave them much soup only lots of mussels. Did Carla make the olive bread?

I mentioned in an earlier post that Tom and Carla got the lowest score ever on MKR. No teams have less than a score of 50 except for S1, one team got 49 but that was out of 100. Must be very embarrassing for them.

21 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 10:18 am }

Can Ajay resist Turkish Delight?… this might be better than them expensive pheromone thingies

22 Cheryl { 02.08.12 at 10:29 am }

I can’t understand their thinking. They knew the cheesecakes had to set for an hour but they didn’t start them until after main. They knew the smoked eggplant had to go into the oven for at least 20 mins but they didn’t start it until after the entree. I thought the whole point of the prep time was to set up everything so the bare minimum had to be done during service, have they never heard of time management or watched any cooking show at all ever before?

23 Leop { 02.08.12 at 10:30 am }

CB Ajay wouldnt be able to resist any form of Turkish; all delightful Im sure as is the sweet

24 littlepetal { 02.08.12 at 10:50 am }

Watched Tom and Carla post cooking interview. They said they learnt their lessons. Will have simpler dishes and said the dessert was a really complicated one. They got to be joking. Their dishes were not complicated at all. Cheesecake is not complicated. Just because they have 2 layers doesn’t mean they are difficult. In their promo, are there any scenes where they cooked for their friends or their families. I only remember seeing the 2 of them having picnic etc, like a pair of love birds. You can tell Carla is not a confident cook. Her slicing wasn’t good and the way she was preparing the eggplant was very amateurish. Everybody have to start somewhere but the way she criticised or commented on other people dishes made me think she is such an expert in the kitchen. They really deserve those low scores and I wouldn’t feed those cheesecake to my cat (but I have no cat). Hope her cat eat their cheesecake.

BTW the funny Queenslanders in the 2 group have a twitter account and have been making comment about the show.
Here is their account:

25 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 11:23 am }

Hey Ajay!! Fancy a snowcone then?!

26 Dutch Courage { 02.08.12 at 11:24 am }

A short article in the Herald Sun this morning:

VICTORIAN My Kitchen Rules contenders Thomas Carr and Carla Mangion blame ruthless program editors for turning them into TV villains.
The pair, who failed to win over judges with their dinner and scored the lowest dessert score in MKR history for their blueberry and lavender cheesecake, said they felt they weren’t being shown fairly on the Channel 7 reality show.

“It’s really disappointing that Carla and I are being portrayed quite badly,” Carr said.

“Monday night was a fine example. We said beautiful things about (the soldiers’) desserts and their entrees, but the only time I was shown talking was my negative remark about the main course.

“I hope people acknowledge it is a TV show and the characters they’re building aren’t really us.”

Mangion said they were trying to stay positive. “Just being here is an achievement. No one’s dead. No one has cancer. It’s a television show. Our family and friends know who we are and hopefully that will shine through a bit more,” she said.

What a load of bullshit…
Just being there is an achievement???? What the heck…

The power of editing.
Shame on you Channel 7! Changing nice, modest people into pretentious, very unlikable dickheads.

The VIC’s should have learned from previous seasons and other shows that good reality TV will easily expose nasty personalities. There is no way to hide.
These 2 must be arrogant, unpleasant characters and I bet it’s not just on TV.

27 Dutch Courage { 02.08.12 at 11:36 am }

RR, apologies for duplicating this. I just noticed you created a separate post with this article.

28 kess { 02.08.12 at 11:54 am }

Princess wins the 1st round – she’s the standout cook so far, her food is interesting and sounds great, and that cake she made looked amazing.
Everyone else – pretty average, they all cooked easy seafood, and some kind of chop; except the Greeks and they just cooked a Greek stew; army dudes food is stuck in the seventies.
Princess is definitely the standout cook.
Can’t wait to see the next lot.
And I love that they just chuck any old kind of cook into this show, it makes it so funny. I can cook better than most of these people, they just think they are great but they are ordinary – and that is what makes it great to watch.

29 Reality Raver { 02.08.12 at 12:14 pm }

Dutch Courage – no worries always happy for commenters to post link to other stuff, as I miss a lot.

30 Bruiser Brody { 02.08.12 at 12:34 pm }

I think the main problem here is that Tom is an avid EATER of fine foods…doesn’t mean he can cook it!
All the crap about “we’re from Melbourne, grew up on fine wine and foods” – really? Your cooking ‘skills’ showed you should just stick to being the elite armchair critics that you are…
The best part was they had NO excuses! No mystery ovens they had never used before, no missing ingredients, no apparent time pressure…. they just straight up got exposed as rank amatuers with unjustified palets!

31 littlepetal { 02.08.12 at 12:53 pm }

I think Tom doesn’t do the shopping nor cook very often. I remembered last night he asked Carla about the weight of the butter. We all can tell that the block of butter is 250g!!!.

32 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 12:56 pm }

littlepetal,
Smithers does Tom’s shopping

33 Culinary Boner { 02.08.12 at 1:02 pm }

“their theme was Grazed”

As in “grazed and abused”?

34 littlepetal { 02.08.12 at 1:05 pm }

CB – they were grazed badly

35 Mrs T { 02.08.12 at 2:00 pm }

Indeed last night was the disaster we were all hoping for. As mentioned above, just because you like good food, doesn’t mean that you can instintively cook it. They buggered themselves up by not using their prep time properly as well as having inferior tastebuds that allowed them to believe the lavendar cheesecake was a taste sensation. Reality TV has been around long enough now for contestants to realise that editing is where the magic and personalities are made, if you don’t want to be portrayed in any way other than how you are, just don’t go on a reality show, fairly simple.

36 PollyB { 02.08.12 at 2:34 pm }

Good outcome. Spoilt, delusional, disorganised, amateurish and no taste buds! I would not be happy to be served tabouleh with olives. Blech. They deserve to be eliminated.

37 Moonstruck { 02.08.12 at 10:22 pm }

Marion of Masterchef is the one they should study. With her TV experience she knew to keep it simple, smile and say as little as possible. she never gave them any opportunity to have anything they could use.

38 Armchair Drinker { 02.09.12 at 8:02 pm }

There is a place that makes lavendar beer down near Margaret River, WA. My (now) wife bought me some knowing my love of beer… I can’t understand they ruined their beer with that rubbish.

Fortunately she only bought one bottle…