My Kitchen Rules – Does Megan Have A Memory Problem?

It went from the sublime to ridiculous tonight on My Kitchen Rules. Last night Nic and Rocco produced a near faultless performance presenting a classy Casino themed dining experience, and tonight it was Megan and Andy’s cricket style restaurant where ingredients were forgotten. It was slightly disasterous show for Tasmanian pair Megan and Andy. I got the feeling they were not cooking in their own house with the way they were clucking over the stove, but could be wrong.

But before we get onto the food is there romance brewing on the set? Those  Victorian girls were definitely flirting with Nic and Rocco. They were mucking around playing cricket with Carly swooning when Nic said “Boys let’s hit the showers”. Maybe a romance could be developing there.

Megan and Andy appeared to live outside the major towns of Tasmania as they were having trouble sourcing some of the ingredients for their menu, like ruby grapefruit and baby potatoes so they had to go to a couple of supermarkets. I note neither of them were a Coles.

Their menu was interesting. For entree they served Crispy Skin Rainbow Trout with Ruby Grapefruit Salad, main was a rabbit, chorizo and mushroom ragu, served with World Cup vegetable stack and dessert was Tarte Tartin.

At the start they were having trouble getting the trout’s skin crispy which was noted by Pete and he also criticised the tiny amount of  ruby grapefruit in the salad. Manu said the fish was cooked to perfection but did not like the raw onion in the salad.

Peter from Qld said the salad looked a little bit ordinary.

The main was rabbit, chorizo, and mushroom ragu, with world cup vegetables. For some reason the rabbit did not cook properly, it appeared to need longer.

Pete Evans did not put the boot in too much and was trying to remain positive saying his favourite part of the main was the vegetable stack. Manu said the dish was not cooked enough.

Pete was getting into the theme by throwing a few cricket euphamisms in. He said he was not bowled over by the entree, and the main was a wide.

Most contestants did not eat the rabbit, for Gary it was undercooked, for others just far too tough. Sue used the opportunity to get flirty with Manu and suggested he cook rabbit for her.

Emma from WA struggled as she has a meat on the bone phobia, and Andrew unwisely said on camera “you always struggle with my bone” unlucky for him it was not edited out.

Now to the dessert Megan had made plenty of times. First she forgot to put the eggs in the pastry and then the butter in the caramel.

However props should be given to them for making vanilla ice-cream with out a machine.

However the ice-cream could not save it as Manu declared it not a Tart Tartin.

Pete thought the pastry was undercooked. However Andrew thought it was quite nice. Gary thought the other guests did not know what a proper Tart Tartin was so that is why they were not so scathing of the dessert. They are definitely getting the other teams hackles up so Wednesday nights episode where they cook is going to be a cracker. Though to be fair to the Queensland pair the scores they have given everyone in judging have not been too harsh or the lowest.

Tonight SA gave a six, WA gave them a 6, Vic gave them a 5, NSW gave a 4, and Qld gave a 5. Which was a combined score of 26 out of 50. This was not as disasterous as Megan thought it was going to be.

Manu gave a seven for entree, five for main, and three for dessert.

Pete gave a seven for entree, four for main, and four for dessert.

I suspect they were both generous with the entree.

This gave them a total score of 56 which places them at the bottom of the score board. And how sweet is Emma who was weeping in empathy for the pair, when in fact it should have been  joy as it meant they were no longer at the bottom of the scoreboard.

1 PollyB { 02.15.12 at 7:25 am }

Sublime to the ridiculous indeed. Why didn’t he start that ragout before the ice cream? Crazy. And Megan’s memory, bloody hell, that was pathetic. I love a tarte tartin, I’d have been so disappointed to get that dessert.

2 smauge { 02.15.12 at 7:31 am }

Can I say once again how much I love that WA pair? Although I don’t think Andrew is too fussy when it comes to food. I’m pretty sure you could serve up any old slop on a plate and he’d say “I enjoyed it!”
I know he’s being set up as a villain, but I just think Pete (not Evans) is very honest and doesn’t really edit what comes out of his mouth. I remember when the venison pie was brought out and Manu fobbed it off, Pete really defended it, saying it didn’t scream boring beef pie (as he thought Manu eluded). So it’s not just mindless criticism of his fellow contestants. I can’t wait to see him and Kevin Rudd’s twin brother cook tonight.

3 Injera { 02.15.12 at 9:12 am }

Sue’s clearly not a fan of late 80s film – if she was she’d have known that suggesting Manu cooks her bunny would be a total turn-off.

4 Mrs T { 02.15.12 at 9:23 am }

I really like this 2nd group, you can see they genuinely want each other to succeed – possibly Peter & Gary not included. Last night begged the question, are contestants able to consult recipes while they are cooking? I didnt see a recipe anywhere and clearly they needed it, but I think it was the pressure that got them in the end. Tonight should be interesting, the previews seemed to imply that consructive criticism was not welcome, joy!

5 littlepetal { 02.15.12 at 10:04 am }

Megan obviously has a problem with the pastry. I watched the start of the show again and instead of lightly dusting the bench, she has the bench covered with flour. No wonder the pastry is not right. Puff pastry is the most time consuming pastry to do and to get it right is a miracle. The end product looked more like a shortcrust pastry than a puff pastry.

Sometimes I think there are some inconsistencies with the judges’ scores. Looking forward to tonight episode.

Although Peter and Gary were critical with their comment on the dishes, they have been very fair with their scores.

6 Leop { 02.15.12 at 10:08 am }

Just wonder if they would have gotten more points had they named their dessert differently? Then it would have been judged on pastry and filling rather than a version of Tarte Tartin

7 Chunks { 02.15.12 at 11:03 am }

Australia has run out of able cooks. Time to stop all reality cooking shows until a new generation can be raised to compete. May the best team – Nic and Rocco – win.

8 littlepetal { 02.15.12 at 11:06 am }

Leop- Yes, they should call their dessert a free form Apple Tart.

9 brain dead dave { 02.15.12 at 11:09 am }

Peter-“I don’t like cricket”. Obviously he prefers water sports.

10 kess { 02.15.12 at 12:21 pm }

Cannot wait for tonight, Dr Evil & KRudd should be hilarious. KRudd is hiding something, he’s been giggling away every night.
Also can’t wait to see how the cute Melb girls go.
7 are geniuses, letting people loose who just think they are brilliant mixed with those that really are brilliant = excellent TV

11 Culinary Boner { 02.15.12 at 12:35 pm }

Since when has rainbow trout (a freshwater tiddler that gives fillets 8mm thick) been ocean trout (a saltwater fish that can get to the size of a small dog)?

12 fish out of water { 02.15.12 at 12:36 pm }

Rainbow trout it was not. “Ocean trout” said Andy at one stage in the post-event analysis.

13 Hill Top Dreamer { 02.15.12 at 12:47 pm }

Cringe worthy television from the back of beyond. Yes, I’ve been to that sleepy town. Nearest Coles? 2.5 hours drive.

14 PollyB { 02.15.12 at 1:06 pm }

If I got that dessert described as tarte tartin I would have scored them real low. Nothing substitutes for a tarte tartin. However, described as an apple tart, the toffee-ed apple looked yummo. Not sure about that pastry though, it looked pretty shite.

15 nanaliz { 02.15.12 at 1:20 pm }

CB we used to live in central Vic and my husband and I used to catch 10lb rainbow trout. The ones you see in thesupermakets come from a trout farm and are selected for their uniform plate size. Tasy has lots of wild trout in the lakes and rivers.

16 Fides { 02.15.12 at 1:49 pm }

But as fish out of water says, Andy did call it ocean trout, so I do wonder if it was just an oversight on their menu having it as rainbow trout. Even it was a fillet of ginormous rainbow trout, it’s what Andy said which has me confused. Wonder if they could have gotten away with coral trout?

17 kess { 02.15.12 at 1:58 pm }

Spoilers for this show can be found here –
enjoy:)

18 donae { 02.15.12 at 1:58 pm }

The trout they bought did not look like the trout they cooked.This weeks New Idea has a Tarte Tatine recipe from Manu. It uses a sheet of pre bought pastry. nil points

19 Pangus { 02.15.12 at 2:14 pm }

Do I see the same door bell at every house? White top, black bottom?

Dinggggggg DOnggggggggg

20 littlepetal { 02.15.12 at 2:35 pm }

Pangus-Yes, same door bell HPM. Same Ding Dong.

kess – Thanks for the spoiler!!!! You can see that coming. Producers can use the same trick all the time.

Donae- Puff pastry is really tricky to make. For us home cooks, bought puff pastry will do.

21 Cheryl { 02.15.12 at 2:53 pm }

I could have sworn I saw two ovens (one gas and one electric) in their kitchen, I thought they must have borrowed or hired a second one for the evening. Either way, leaving the ragout to the end of the prep time was a major major mistake when they knew it needed to cook for at least 2 hours.

22 smauge { 02.15.12 at 3:10 pm }

nanaliz – I’m from central Victoria originally too. What part are you from?

23 nanaliz { 02.15.12 at 3:15 pm }

Hi Smauge, we used to live in Eildon but have moved to Tully in QLD. Miss eating smoked trout freshly caught in the lake. Just have to eat crays instead ….lifes hard.

24 smauge { 02.15.12 at 3:17 pm }

We come from more inland – near Rushworth. Not much choice of seafood there!

25 Culinary Boner { 02.15.12 at 3:20 pm }

nanliz, thanks for educating me on rainbow trout…I always assumed they grew to plate size… have not had the pleasure of eating a wild one, so will look to rectify this culinary oversight hopefully soon

26 Leop { 02.15.12 at 5:08 pm }

Yes looking forward to The Boys tonight…….. wonder if they will crash and burn like Thomas (Vic) – yes I thought he looked like KRudd too all with the little snigger snigger going on as well –
littlepetal yes! The Apple Isle – could have done a play on words for their tart couldn’t they – Apple Isle Tart, Tasapple Tart….. :)

27 brain dead dave { 02.15.12 at 5:11 pm }

What they served was a Crapple Tart.

28 donae { 02.15.12 at 5:13 pm }

little petal It wasn’t puff pastry it was shortcrust in the
Manu recipe

29 Andrea { 02.15.12 at 5:23 pm }

If they were used to cooking these recipes I dont understand why they made stupid mistakes such as not getting the rabbit in the oven first as they knew it would take two hours, and also forgetting the butter and eggs in the dessert, and checking if their ingredients were available from the closest supermarket 2 hrs away. They did have a disadvantage being so far from shops but they should have known and prepared for this. A lot of things seem strange on this show!

30 nanaliz { 02.15.12 at 5:38 pm }

Megan mentioned having done one of the recipes 6 times and always working well. Must have had recipe book out in front of them.
Looking forward to the ones that know all tonight, hope they crash and burn. Might wipe the cocky smiles of their faces.

31 Andrea { 02.15.12 at 5:51 pm }

The Dynamic Duo are bound to do everything at least fifteen times better!

32 littlepetal { 02.15.12 at 5:54 pm }

Sorry Donae. Then Manu deserved -10 points!!!! He claimed on the show that he makes a mean tarte tatin!!!! I also found the recipe by Manu on the Lifestyle food website and he uses store bought shortcrust pastry. Shocking, shocking.

33 littlepetal { 02.15.12 at 5:58 pm }

I am looking forward to tonight episode. Would love to see how these two so call expert cook. They can do most things many times better than the rest, even better than the best. I supposed better than the best means going into negative territory.

34 Leop { 02.15.12 at 7:29 pm }

and the boys said Nic & Rocco’s roast was ‘easy’ love to see them replicate it – as they are the Queens of Roasts apparently

35 john { 02.15.12 at 10:42 pm }

what a bunch of “blow your trumpet” fags. I hope the whinging, whinging losers are the 1st to get there arses kicked off the show. If they dont, i’ll be looking for a new show to watch at that time. Cant stand people that think they are beter than others, especially when they obviously dont even come close.

36 sue N { 02.16.12 at 12:06 am }

I do not understand how the mad scientists scored less than ditzy and her ma-in-law??? I mean…seriously????? :)

37 smauge { 02.16.12 at 8:01 am }

John – Yes they’ve left themselves wide open for critisism, but I think “fags” is an offensive term.

38 John { 02.16.12 at 11:10 pm }

smauge – I apologise to everyone that thinks “fags” is offensive…. What would you like me to say? gays….. I’m from qld, actually not far from the gold coast that these ignorant, arrogant, in denial idiots are from and i find there attitude offensive to the whole of Australia. I watched the show again tonight, just to see what happens the “day after”. What a pair of low life mongrel morons…. They cant even fathom that a 3 hour wait between entree and mains is a problem, let alone serving up meat and 3 veg for a meal. Would you still be sitting at the table if this was a restaurant you were at? they talked themselves up to be the best at everything, and they still are, yet they cant even get time management right…….. no wonder the world has gone to shit, these idiots are training them at our universities . It embarresses me that much that i’d rather move to another state / country and not claim to have ever come from qld. I stand up for my original statement, they are dumb, moronic, self obsessed gays (fags) that cant cook for shit, they shouldn’t even be on the show. John

39 smauge { 02.17.12 at 7:52 am }

Those two are so far up their own arses and so deluded, in denial, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone like them.
Like I said, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and reserved my judgement until I saw what they produced when their turn came. Yes their food looked nice but the way they talked themselves up, I expected food on par with Nic and Rocco (who, by the way, have been extremely humble while demolishing everyone else on the scoreboard)
If my favourite WA couple drop out because this pair can’t except they weren’t the best team, and vote out of spite, I won’t be able to contain my anger.

40 richo { 02.29.12 at 8:52 pm }

I have sunk beers on Meg & Andys deck, and yes, not with them.
They dont own it, its just a farce, hence how they did not know how anything worked.
Its a mates place that he rents out occasionaly.

41 john { 03.01.12 at 12:50 am }

this is a load of crap. fancy kicking out one of the best couples on the show. maybe they werent the best cooks on the show but atleast they were honest. bring back the mad scientists, they were good value and piss off the back stabbing idiot that definately cant cook but happened to cook first and had the opportunity to score down on others. what a bad set out show.