My Kitchen Rules – Simon and Meg From New Zealand Cook

Did anyone else think it was apt that Peter had snaffled a kiwi figurine to take home? When if you look at his profile there are some similarities with the New Zealand icon. Also seriously he needs to go into therapy about his feelings that an “injustice” was done in the last round of instant restaurants. Just get over it.

Also speaking of look a likes, Megan from Tassie appears to be channelling Suzie Quatro with her hair and raspy voice.

But basically it is game on, and everyone thought round three was going to be far more ruthless.  The Queensland army boys were trying a different tack and decided to give the judges some loving by saying they had read their books and they had lots of questions.

It was the New Zealanders, Simon and Meg, turn to cook and everyone was saying they had not cooked to their full potential in the first round. Of course they hadn’t their oven had broken. It was something completely outside of their control.

Their entree was whitebait fritters with watercress and horseradish cream, main was pan seared snapper with creamy chowder sauce, and dessert is Feijoa and Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice cream and Maple Syrup.

Tom thought the menu was simplistic and that they should do well.

Pete thought the salad looked sad, however if that had not been the case they would have had a near perfect dish. Manu liked it as well. Gary who had been concerned about the whitebait fritter as he is not a big fan of seafood liked it as it did not taste fishy.

In fact the only person who did not like it was Tom who said it was not seasoned enough and it was a bit eggy. Maybe he just wasn’t coping with a dish with only two ingredients in it.

Manu liked the main due to the amount of sauce on the plate as well as the flavours. However again Tom was having difficulties with it. He said the sauce was just like a cabonara sauce that he would run through pasta. For someone who thinks he is such a great cook he has not really delivered at all.

The Queensland army boys were playing fair and said they loved the dish.

The dessert went down well particularly the edition of the feijoa said Pete. However he did not like the ice-cream as it was too icy. Manu thought the apple was undercooked, but he did like the feijoa. Of course Tom and Carla did not like it. “They’ve totally missed the boat again” says Tom.

WA gave them a seven, Qld academics gave a six, Qld army boys gave an eight, Tas gave a seven, Vic gave a five. This was a total of 33 out of 50.

Interestingly Thomas wanted to give the Meg and Simon a six but Carla wanted to give them a five.

Pete gave the entree an eight, for main a seven, for dessert an eight.

Manu gave the entree a seven, for main a seven, for dessert a seven.

This gave them a total of 77. This score will be hard to beat.

1 Isabel { 02.21.12 at 9:08 pm }

God, Tom is an ugly person – in looks and in nature.

2 littlepetal { 02.21.12 at 9:45 pm }

I thought tonight Peter and Gary were pretty o.k They also made some funny comments. Can’t say that about Thomas and Carla. Both are really nasty. You will think you have to cook really bad to have scores less than them.

3 Georgie { 02.21.12 at 10:29 pm }

Commenting on the whitebait fritter entree, Tom says, “they taste a bit eggy”.

Not nearly as ‘eggy’ as your soup floater the night before – loser.

4 Fides { 02.21.12 at 11:45 pm }

Tom and Carla are so laughable. Tom is pathetic and a sore loser, but Carla is nasty. Her comment about maintaining integrity had me wanting to slap her, but I guess they have stayed true to themselves… I must not let myself get so worked up!

But did you see the reactions around the table whenever they bleat about the issue they had with the dish. Even Pete and Manu don’t bother to hide their disdain. Love the honesty of the Qld soldiers, and Pete and Gary were very fair, relaxed and jocular, so must have been an enjoyable night for everyone else sans the bitter Victorians.

Yay for the Kiwis, they are lovely. Love love love whitebait fritters cooked that way – made me desperately want a whitebait fritter sandwich I ate at in NZ which was a revelation in what whitebait fritters should be. Can see why everyone at the table, (well, except you-know) was impressed. If only their oven had worked the first time round they could have had some converts to Kiwi pav, which is also really fabulous too.

5 Chunks { 02.22.12 at 12:02 am }

Never has the saying “pride cometh before a fall” been more apt. What a nasty pair. No doubt they’ll scream selective editing. I was a bit surprised the Kiwis didn’t get any comment about serving two fish dishes but good on them. Hope they and the army blokes get through.

6 PollyB { 02.22.12 at 7:31 am }

Isabel, you took the words out of my mouth. Horrid critter he is. An ugly old persian tom spraying bile everywhere he can. Apologies to persian tom’s everywhere.
The Kiwi’s listened and learned. Loving it.

7 Leop { 02.22.12 at 8:06 am }

Dr Evil & KRudd have calmed down on their comments and were nice – wonder if they realised they were over the top in their previous comments and toned them down – they even gave a reasonable score last night.
What a nice couple Simon and Meg are – love ‘em.

8 sue N { 02.22.12 at 8:19 am }

chunks- totally agree with all of your comment :)

9 Shelsta78 { 02.22.12 at 8:41 am }

I was so happy they did better this time.
Our house constantly yells “look at cats bum face” when Thomas is on screen.
Last night I got a real sense that he and Carla had rehearsed what they were going to say / do with the scoring.
They’re turning out much worse than the others.

@RR I was thinking the same re: the Suzie Quattro hair!

10 smauge { 02.22.12 at 8:42 am }

I found Peter and Garry had returned to their former selves (pre their instant restaurant). Thomas and Carla are nasty. Their pathetic attempts to influence the rest of the teams with their negative comments were laughable.

11 Calliegirl { 02.22.12 at 9:04 am }

Why did they keep showing the cat in the kitchen? Were they insinuating that it shouldn’t have been there? Mabe it is not all that hygenic to have an animal in while cooking. Also, nothing was resolved re the broken glass in the previous night’s filming.

12 smauge { 02.22.12 at 9:06 am }

Our cat is banned from our kitchen because they drop fur EVERYWHERE and you can not get rid of that shit. And our cat is no where near as fluffy as that ginger was.

13 kleenex mum { 02.22.12 at 9:10 am }

agree with all the above re thomas and carla and I have to remind you all that whilst Thomas tries to pass him self off as a top chef at the end of the day hes a Podiatrist ( he looks at feet all day ) ( no disrespect ment to that profession ) the pair off them have over taken peter and gary —- they are now the nasty jealous mean f#@kwits of the show,

14 Hill Top Dreamer { 02.22.12 at 9:25 am }

Oh my. I was having RR withdrawal and read another MKR blog for some insightful comment on the show. Won’t do that again, the blogger was almost as waspish as Dr Evil. I am stunned at the tactics of T&C. They obviously didnt think about how it would be edited. Hope everyone else plays smarter and Dr Evil shuts up on his seafood aversion. Aust is a coastal nation. Each state has its seafood pride. Ergo you enter a cooking comp so you have to expect seafood!

15 paulski { 02.22.12 at 9:48 am }

Unfortunately missed the show last night (cheap movie night!) which is a shame going by the comments. Can’t wait for the last 4 instant restaurants so we can see the back of those nasty pieces of work, T&C. What a disgrace.

16 Leop { 02.22.12 at 10:48 am }

@Hill Top Dreamer; agree; some nasty forums out there as well as the cliquey TBL – RR keeps a clean forum – our venting doesn’t have to be assassinations of the characters that are there, to entertain us – they are having a much harder time in those kitchens sweating and stressing – MKR is very enjoyable this season, year 3 I think – and am enjoying more than MC. I actually resented MKR competing with MC to begin with but not any longer, :)

17 Anonymous { 02.22.12 at 11:35 am }

The N.Z couple are lovely, I was glad they did so well. Carla and Tom are just so nasty making bad comments about everyone’s food but they just can’t seem to accept that their food is not up to scratch. Peter and Gary were actually quite likeable this time.

18 Bruiser Brody { 02.22.12 at 12:00 pm }

less Quatro, more Rod Stewart a!

oh yea, and Tom = Uncle Arthur/ Kel!!

in no way can they claim selective editing, and the best they can hope for from this round is the role of “Those Bitches” in a future Celeb Apprentice, as there is no way their 1/5th of a score will ever influence anything!
Do they really have no concept of the fact that their vindictive outlook will have no bearing on the actual outcome outside of their personal images??? Deluded!

(too much fake tan Pete!)

19 Fides { 02.22.12 at 12:21 pm }

Ch 7 must be thrilled TnC went first in this round, bombed so spectacularly, and have a childish, nasty, vengeful mindset – it’s generated interest and given them so much material for the promos. Just saw an for tonight’s ep and Andrew saying something about “stooping lower than your lavender cheesecake” (which is interesting considering Andrew never had the pleasure) has got me seething already.

20 littlepetal { 02.22.12 at 12:30 pm }

Fides – Did you pay attention to the contestants plates when Manu was giving his comments? I thought I saw the fork and knife of Andy were on his plate, indicating that the contestants have eaten first.

21 Calliegirl { 02.22.12 at 12:58 pm }

Thanks littlepetal for pointing out about the knife and fork etc – you are so observant. Well done!

22 brain dead dave { 02.22.12 at 12:58 pm }

I’m okay with the cat in the kitchen considering it didn’t wipe it’s nose and go back to handling food like Simon did.

23 Fides { 02.22.12 at 3:04 pm }

Littlepetal – you are spot on! I just rewatched the whitebait fritter part as I made my cheese and tomato toastie (do you know how hungry that made me, do you?!) and there are serious editing inconsistencies. When Manu and Pete give their comments, you can see clean plates and cutlery on plates indicating the contestants had finished – especially obvious with Megan and Carla as she is right beside Manu – she’s eaten the fritters but not the salad (obviously not her cup of tea, but Thomas’s plate is spotless) and her cutlery’s on the plate. But when you later see the wide table angle as Manu does the bon appetit and Simon/Meg return to the kitchen, miraculously, the entrees are untouched (except for Pete and Manu’s which look only slightly eaten) and there are 3 forks laid out on the table beside Carla.

So Peter has a point about the sequence of eating (though not the case with the Vic sisters the other night as the plates were untouched as judges gave comments) there is lots of editing trickery at play. I wonder, do they do MC-like retake after retake of certain lines?

And I’m OK with kitchen cat as the editors had the good sense not to show it walking along the kitchen bench.

24 brain dead dave { 02.22.12 at 3:16 pm }

I’d sooner a cat in the kitchen than a fly a le maison de Thomas et Carla. I wonder how many times Simon and Meg had to belt it with a juffle iron to keep it out of the whitebait?

25 Calliegirl { 02.22.12 at 5:37 pm }

BDD I’m okay with a cat in the kitchen as well. I was just wondering why they kept showing it. Are the cameramen really bored – or what?

26 Izobel2 { 02.22.12 at 8:39 pm }

I should’ve looked at the cutlery, but I kept watching the glasses for most of the night. I was checking to c how often the glasses were getting filled but most of the time the glasses were empty!

27 littlepetal { 02.22.12 at 9:13 pm }

I think it’s asking too much of the contestants to cook, clear the tables and serve at the same time. Especially Sam and Jillian where the kitchen was miles from the dinning table.

28 Georgie { 02.22.12 at 10:52 pm }

I think that was Tom in the kitchen morphing a cat. Probably trying to ‘trip them up’.

29 Maryann { 01.31.14 at 6:09 pm }

It’s awesome іn support of mе toο have a
web site, which iѕ good designed forr mƴ experience. thanks admin

Herе is my web blog; horse classifieds (Maryann)