My Kitchen Rules – Tasmania Cooks Again And They Don’t Tank

Megan and Andy were cooking again tonight, and just because they do come across a tad bogan doesn’t mean they don’t know how to cook. Andy is definitely the stronger cook of the pair but they both appear to have some knowledge of  flavours and techniques.

For entree it was scallops on pork crackling with salmon roe, main was bouillabaisse, and dessert was sticky date cheesecake with a caramel fudge sauce.

For Andy it was not about the scoreboard it was about letting know Peter and Gary that they were not the only ones who can cook, and in Peter’s mind they probably did not achieve that, but in reality they did.

When entree was served and I appeared to have missed the bit where Pete and Manu arrived, they were having presentation issues, the scallops were falling off the crackling.  Also Carla and Tom were sniping from the get go. Carla saying she should have picked up a happy meal on the way as the serving was a little small. What part of entree did she not understand?

Pete thought the entree was exactly what they should have been serving. Manu also said he enjoyed the dish.

Andy is probably the better cook out of the pair, but Megan kind of goes ahead and does the Gordon Ramsay oversighting. However Andy was not happy when she dumped the mussels in randomly.

However she did drag them out again. Manu criticised the dish for not being a bouillabaisse nor the roulle being a proper one, however he did love the dish, as did Pete.

Peter from Qld thought the crab was soggy, but the other Queensland army team thought it was the best dish so far. Tom thought the seafood was not cooked well across the board and the stock tasted like a vegetable broth.

The dessert did not go down well with the judges. It was too sickly. Most of the teams did not like it. However David liked it but he tends to like everything, and Emma liked it as well.

WA scored them a six, Qld academics scored a six, Qld army boys gave them a seven, Vic surprisingly gave a seven, and NZ a six.

This was a combined score of 32 out of 50.

Manu gave an eight for entree, an eight for main, and a five for dessert.

Pete gave a nine for entree, a nine for main, and a four for dessert. Pete is clearly happy at the moment as he has been generous in his scoring this series.

Which gives them a total score of 75 which puts them second on the scoreboard, which means they are safe from elimination.

1 Michelle { 02.22.12 at 9:44 pm }

Can’t believe that entree got a 9 from Pete. Two scallops (which EVERYBODY has already done) on pork crackling is a 9? What…
Also Megans eyebrows were freaking horrible, she needs to put down the tweezers. And not knowing that scallops are put in last? It’s clear she doesn’t know the first thing about cooking.

2 littlepetal { 02.22.12 at 10:39 pm }

With this team, Andy is the one that knows how to cook. Megan only did the dessert and not very good in that department.

3 sue N { 02.22.12 at 11:12 pm }

wasn’t it mussels that should go in last, not scallops?

4 Michelle { 02.22.12 at 11:30 pm }

Yep, sorry I got mixed up. Obviously I know nothing about cooking either, but she’s on a cooking show so she should!! /sideshuffle out

5 sue N { 02.23.12 at 12:11 am }

lol Michelle :)…& I also noticed Megan’s eyebrows, and to a slightly lesser extent, NZ Megan’s as well…;-)

I confess to being a tad confused with all Tom’s comments re how they will score-eg it’s war & strategic, and then they give a 7 ?????? Mind you, reasonable score regarldess, he is a total tool!!!

6 Fides { 02.23.12 at 12:50 am }

Carla again – oh just shut up! Laughed when Tom complained about the cheesecake though, I guess to him it’s not a cheesecake unless it takes like soap. I didn’t notice the eyebrows but did notice Tom’s shirt – call me old fashioned but that much chest hair should not be allowed at the dinner table.

Peter and Gary were back in form tonight – when one of them made the comment about the Tassie pair not really being winner material, I just thought, yeah, you show ’em Andy!

Megan gets into a bit of a flap though – that’s going to be a problem when the pressure’s really on. But so glad Andy kept his cool and backed himself. He and his love/respect for seafood reminds me a lot of Jake from MC2.

7 Isabel { 02.23.12 at 6:00 am }

Agree – I was fascinated with Megan’s eyebrows, wondered if she has them tattooed on! What horrified me more than anything was seeing Gary LICKING his knife! No class there … But looking forward to the most ‘explosive epidsode yet’ on tonight.

8 littlepetal { 02.23.12 at 8:04 am }

Could tonight be the episode that Tom and Carla gave the WA team a zero?

9 Reality Raver { 02.23.12 at 8:24 am }

From some comments from last night’s episode it looked like Peter and Gary don’t particularly like Andrew so maybe that could cause the explosion. Isabel well spotted on the knife I saw and then forgot…

10 Isabel { 02.23.12 at 8:38 am }

On reflection, I think it’s a misleading promo! Explosive episode + scientists cooking = something going wrong or bang in the kitchen!

11 smauge { 02.23.12 at 8:43 am }

I’ll be very sad if the WA team get bumped from the comp because they are victims of spite. A lovelier couple MKR has never seen. If that pair of bitches gives them a zero they should be disqualified. I will be fuming.
I get the feeling Andy really wanted to go on the comp and Megan has just been brought along as he can’t do it by himself. I agree that she’ll come a cropper when the make it to the main kitchen. (I also noticed the eyebrows, but we shouldn’t be lambasting her about her appearance in a cooking comp)

12 Calliegirl { 02.23.12 at 8:49 am }

They seemed very well organised and Megan didn’t leave out any main ingredients, so it appears they have learned quite a bit since the first time. The red headband drove me nuts and didn’t do her any favours! Was she forced to wear it as a hygienic thing? (that is probably why everyone noticed her weird eyebrows). Yes I also noticed Gary licking his knife and couldn’t believe it.

13 kleenex mum { 02.23.12 at 8:56 am }

well written smauge, the main thing i didnt like with megan is the amount off times she rubbed her face, touched her hair, put her hands to her face and then picked up the food with those same fingers again and again and again i had trouble with this it seems hygein goes out the window with some off these cooks.

14 Mrs T { 02.23.12 at 9:13 am }

I think Fides has a good point, once in the big kitchen I think Megan will be a liability. Tom and Carla are just too frustrating and predictable to watch, they are certainly taking the heat off Peter and Gary. I’m unsure if once the instant resturant round is over I’ll continue watching the show, I don’t think it will be as interesting.

15 Georgie { 02.23.12 at 9:32 am }

“Maybe the TAssie couple got scored high my Tom and Carla as they are not seen as a threat.”

RR – they are so incompetent, absolutely anything is a threat, even the cat!

16 paulski { 02.23.12 at 9:40 am }

A good episode again last night, but I think the only interest in the end was whether the Tassie team would take over top spot. Once they’d cooked a strong entree, there was no longer any tension concerning possible elimination for them.

Tonight, however… that’s a different story! Do we prepare for T&C to become Australia’s most hated couple? At least for a week or so.

17 Maz { 02.23.12 at 10:12 am }

Thanks for the breakdown of the scores. Prime (aka C7) decided to split the scoring with commercials so we didn’t see the teams scoring or all of the judges’ critique only the final overall score. Grrr.

18 sue N { 02.23.12 at 10:27 am }

Maz- I am confused, how did you manage to see the final score, but not the individual??? did you watch it live, and leave the room or something, and miss a whole segment???? :)

19 michelle26 { 02.23.12 at 11:31 am }

Thomas & Carla – shut up! Why have you not realised that it is YOU that can’t cook. Your silly little comments are frustrating and ridiculous. Please stop talking.
RR – I also thought that I had missed Pete & Manu’s entry. I was watching Megan & Andy getting ready to serve their entree and thinking – ummm, shouldn’t you guys be waiting for the judges..?
Also noted the knife licking – my mother would have growled at us if we had ever done that.
Looking forward to seeing tonights ep (as always). I would love a night out with Emma & Andrew – they seem like a hoot.

20 Fides { 02.23.12 at 11:35 am }

There is just one thing I have to know though – is it normal to eat crackling with a knife and fork? Don’t care they’re trying to eat it fancy with the scallop, what was wrong with those people ?!

21 Shelsta78 { 02.23.12 at 11:52 am }

I just didn’t understand why Gary and Peter were so worried about people having fun at a dinner party – they were making such a big deal of the WA couple having a good time and making friends, it was bizarre.

Maybe they know they’re never going to be friends with these people – I certainly wouldn’t want to eat at their place if you’re not allowed to have a laugh at the table!

I agree with many above that Andy is the one that wanted to enter the comp.

Thomas & Carla have ZERO food knowledge. That’s why everything Cats Bum Face says sounds so dumb. Manu must want to reach across the table and smack those pursed lips right off his face.

Looking forward to tonight!

22 kess { 02.23.12 at 11:53 am }

I like watching Thomas & Carla bumbling, it’s funny, and she’s obviously hanging in there for that Mornington vineyard in his family – God’s country, that area is divine.

I reckon the WA jokers are good TV, but they would drive me nuts with the I’m so fun crappola, they seem quite juvenile at times. And if she could lick that hideous dessert up I have serious reservations about her palate.
Tassie bogans would also drive me nuts & I think he lied about the glass; and the sour look on that kiwis face would put me off my food.
And the serious army guy – he looks like he wants to shoot someone and he owns a gun, his offsider looks so familiar has been an actor?

I’m starting to love the gay guys, they are smug and snarky, but they are no fools and they offer some good insights into the dynamics of the groups – alliances are forming indeed.
I can’t wait for the gay guys to meet Princess.

23 Fides { 02.23.12 at 12:49 pm }

Not sure that the following deserves a spoiler alert – it’s about the new promo I saw for tonight’s episode : anyway, if you don’t wanna know, don’t read!

So if the new promo (different from last night’s) is to be believed, some never-seen-before scoring from contestants will be taking place (hmmm, I wonder who?!), and Peter of PnG thinks it’s akin to cheating. But the ads have so far been deceptive – there was no comment last night from Andrew about sinking lower than a lavender cheesecake, nor from Tom the other night about giving zeroes.

However, if tonight is the ep where TnC do their strategic scoring, perhaps it means our wacky scientists don’t do very well so TnC think their scoring put them in with a chance. Personally I’d like to see Manu or Pete haul TnC over the coals and ask them to justify their score. There are certainly shocked faces around the dinner table, but they are very good at giving us that. I’m pretty sure the clothing is consistent ie they’re not mixing up bits from different episodes just to make a dramatic promo.

24 Maz { 02.23.12 at 1:42 pm }

@Sue N. No I didn’t leave the room. When the contestants starting to critique the meal, they cut to an ad then cut back when Pete started talking then cut back to an ad then it cut back again to showing where the TAS couple were on the scoreboard. It was like flipping channels except I wasn’t.

25 sue N { 02.23.12 at 2:17 pm }

lol Maz- I must have watched it differently to you…any hooo :)

26 brain dead dave { 02.23.12 at 2:25 pm }

Yes ,kleenex mum those were grubby bogans last night. Andy was handling the food then wiping his hands on his apron and vice versa. I’d want to neck a few antibiotics before dining at their place.

Gary Mehigan is a serial knife licker,too. Hey,it’s okay if you’re a “foodie”.

27 Michelle { 02.23.12 at 2:35 pm }

@Smauge Sorry, you’re right, it’s just that they were so distracting! She’d be talking and my eyes would keep drifting upwards to her eyebrows :/ Similar to the man vs cleavage phenomenon, I would think.

28 Anna { 02.23.12 at 3:29 pm }

It is probably just one of my many senior moments, but the similarities with the names of the contestants is causing me some confusion, e.g. Andrew & Andy, Megan & Meg, Carla & Carly and, of course, Peter & judge Pete. A little more concentration is called for.

29 brain dead dave { 02.23.12 at 3:40 pm }

Taking the “r” out of Gary,makes it easier.

30 littlepetal { 02.23.12 at 4:39 pm }

You are very funny BDD!!!

31 brain dead dave { 02.23.12 at 4:50 pm }

You’re kind littlepetal, thank you.

I think Gary might have been to a Gai Waterhouse …or two

32 Fides { 02.23.12 at 5:55 pm }

RR – of course Peter and Gary don’t like Andrew – he ate their decor!

33 Leop { 02.23.12 at 6:15 pm }

Away for 5 minutes and already so many posts to catch up on…… hosed myself again BDD; verrrrry clever, but yes, same same agree with Anna, lots of similar names this Season – confusing o’right

34 Lina { 02.23.12 at 8:14 pm }

Thomas and Carla, what a nasty pair you both are, do you know anything about being nice? You cant cook and yet you nit pick everyone elses food, you are so far on the bottom why not exept it and let others shine? Cant believe you two and I am sorry you are representing Victoria, what a shame for us.

35 kate { 02.27.12 at 7:58 pm }

other half came home with cream cheese from costco on saturday. on the back of double pack was recipe for sticky date cheesecake with fudge caramel sauce…… so MKR contestants now using packet recipes to wow the judges. havent stopped laughing since.
not sure what rules are but definitely not a homemade idea. guess it could worse, could have used recipe off rice pops and served chocolate crackles.

36 littlepetal { 02.27.12 at 9:59 pm }

kate-can you check whether the recipe is the same one that they used on MKR?

37 kate { 02.28.12 at 12:17 am }

Hi littlepetal,
i dont keep the episodes so not sure how to check what they made exactly but there are lots of version online which say they are “off the pack” http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t804280.html

You might be able to tell me if it same exact one, but at least it is basically the same.

Maybe Peter will make Honey Joys tomorrow. :-)

38 Ang { 03.02.12 at 7:06 pm }

The sticky date cheesecake slice with caramel fudge sauce recipe that Megan and Andy used is exactly the same as the Kraft Philadelphia on the pack recipe.All ingredients and measurements are the same they have change cup measurement to grams but it’s still same weights etc.They have also changed the cooking temp from 160 to 180.

39 Google { 06.29.14 at 7:28 pm }

It will also increase the ranking of your website on search engines and will drive more traffic to your website.
Based on their experience, they could know how much
is required before going into details. Reputation Defense Online an around the world Cyber
Investigation along with Litigation Assistance Agency for Net Defamation, often receives inquiries from attorneys along with law enforcement agencies on the way
to subpoena Google‘s Legal Division.