My Kitchen Rules – WA Cooks And They Kept It Simple

Andrew and Emma can just never quite get it together. Even in the prep time Andrew is such a klutz  cutting himself as he picked up a knife, and you could see when he was using a mandolin that it was going to be ugly due to his technique, and yes there was a hunk of flesh which went into the carrot.

And the duck blood that somehow got into their coconut rice dessert has got to be a bigger mystery than whether Andy did get a piece of glass in his mouth. Considering there was a lid on the container you would have to wonder how the dessert came to be swimming in it. Did Andrew knock it as he got the duck breasts out of the fridge? Eating in that house is fraught with danger with all the extras that find there way into the dishes. I would be demanding Hepatitis vaccines before putting anything in my mouth. Remember round one where they had to toss out the orange juice due to contamination with Andrew’s blood?

Tonight Western Australian couple Emma and Andrew decided to keep their menu simple with an entree of Vietnamese Chicken and Prawn Salad, main was twice cook duck with pork and prawn wonton soup, and dessert was coconut rice with tropical salsa.

The entree was their best dish well apart from the mouth popping mojitos Emma made but unfortunately that did not count towards their scores.

Pete said I loved what you did tonight by putting all those ingredients on a plate. However he said they were missing the heat component in the dressing and there was no seasoning. Manu thought it was a good start to the meal, but he thought there was a lack of dressing.

Megan and Andy were struggling with chopsticks so went for the cutlery. Also I notice Megan drinking a bottle of beer at the table, why didn’t she pour it into a glass, as the others had done.

Tom did not think the entree was at the level to succeed in this competition.

Emma and Andrew were having different views on presentation and how to cook dishes, particularly in relation to the duck. He wanted to put it in the oven after pan frying it, she thought it would dry it out. They were getting tense with each other as they were plating up. What I noticed was it was not a huge serve, but that did not matter as Pete thought the dish was inedible.

Manu thought the soup had reduced to much and it was too salty, almost like sea water, and the wontons were undercooked.

Tom  and Carla nearly got up from the table and did cartwheels.

Just as they were going to serve the dessert, they pulled it out from the fridge and duck blood was all through it. Emma had to cook it again.

Manu said of dessert, it was good but not good enough. Pete thought it was a bit slap dash, but tasted better than it looked, but average.

And the scores were low Qld gave a three, NZ gave a four, Qld army boys gave a four, Tas gave a five, and Vic gave a one. As they said it was strategic. This was a score of 17 out of 50. Which was lower then what the Victorian team received.

Pete scored the entree a five, a two for main, and a four for dessert.

Manu scored the entree a seven, a three for main, and a four for dessert.

They got a grand total score of 42 and they are now in last place. So the score the Victorian team gave did not really impact on the outcome. Emma and Andrew are now at the bottom of the score board. If you had read the latest edition of OK Mag Carla gave it away that they went further in the competition by saying her new boyfriend who she met after she had held their second instant restaurant helped her destress from the competition.

1 littlepetal { 02.23.12 at 9:16 pm }

Thomas and Carla can’t count. They don’t need to stoop so low as to give WA team a 1. They should be able to judge the food and have confidence that the meal was not great tonight.

Also in next week episode to try to persuade Andrew to give the Army boys zero so to make themselves look better. Nasty pair but great entertainment.

2 Maz { 02.23.12 at 10:15 pm }

Nasty. Very nasty. Perhaps Thomas has a future in an ALP caucas.

Perhaps Andrew could get a Band Aid endorsement.

3 sue N { 02.23.12 at 11:06 pm }

lol Maz :)

4 Lisa { 02.23.12 at 11:11 pm }

I love to hate Thomas so much, he’s the one that should have the cat in the intro. So glad they’re staying around!

5 Chunks { 02.23.12 at 11:45 pm }

Kevin Rudd has nothing on those two! Shame about the Sandgropers but they did blow it spectacularly. A bit of star anise flavour in the rice pudding and just the lychees (definitely no pawpaw!) and some mint for garnish would have given them a nice simple, tasty dish.

6 Marie { 02.23.12 at 11:48 pm }

Can we be sure it was duck blood in the rice? Perhaps Andrew leaned over to stir it at some point and one of the many gashes on his hands spattered blood in. :p

Thomas and Carla are making me love Peter and Gary in comparison! At least Peter and Gary have some sense of being fair, warped though their view may be.

7 Isabel { 02.24.12 at 7:17 am }

To me Mr NZ looks constipated – well he does look as if he’s struggling with something all the time.

And the mad scientists – who could take them seriously in a work situation.

I agree Marie – Peter and Gary now seem to be much fairer than Mr Cat’s Bum Mouth and Carla.

How long is this competition running for – it’s going to take a long time to get rid of this six as well as the other six!

8 littlepetal { 02.24.12 at 7:25 am }

Andrew is not the only one cutting his fingers. I have seen many of the other contestants with blue bandaid on their fingers (sometimes more than one). I think the production team just emphasize more on Andrew cutting his finger this episode.

Peter and Gary have always been fair in their scoring and they do make funny comments. I heard Peter’s interview he gave to one of the radio station and he actually sounded quite nice!!! He was laughing alot even when the host was stirring him on.

9 tvjunkie { 02.24.12 at 8:18 am }

I’ve said from the beginning that Thomas & Carla were the ones to watch when it came to being the villains of the series, even when all the media seemed to focus on “Princess Jen” and “Peter & Gary”. Good to see that the viewing public are finally coming around. I know it’s a competition, but seriously, a score of 1. Even if they scored them a 5 (which probably would’ve been generous), WA still would’ve been on the bottom.

I’m still hoping for a final twist – maybe combining the scores from both rounds to get an overall score. If this was the case, it would meant Vic would be on 95 and WA on 104….

10 kleenex mum { 02.24.12 at 9:10 am }

I was disappointed at watching the goings on in the kitchen with Emma and andrew, we have to remember these are every day people that say they have cooked these meals dozens of times, i guess throw in a few cameras, hot lights and a big red clock and things would go to peices, how ever i wouldnt be keen to eat anything they put out without a shot of some thing, it was not a matter of if andrew was going to add skin and blood to the carrots but WHEN and sure enough on cue….. blood and skin, did the carrot get thrown out, we will never know ???? As for Thomas and Carla what a TOAD, im sorry he is just a piece of shit, yes this is a competition but he has shown what a very bad loser he, is as for Carla she really is no better.

11 Lebay { 02.24.12 at 9:17 am }

Peter and Gary are at least trying to be fair. The whole thing with is that Peter and Gary think the world revolves around them and that they are a walk up start to win because they are just so good.

Thomas and Carla are just nasty and horrid. They want to win at any price. I dont think that P and G would WANT to win on dodgy scores, and T and C dont care. That is where it gets nasty.

Personally Im cheering for the Army boys, David and Scott, but to be honest, its only because I’d like to show David a thing or two with some strawberrys, fudge sauce and whipped cream….

12 Calliegirl { 02.24.12 at 9:37 am }

I don’t think I could have eaten the main course, salty or not! Was it a soup or a meal? Bits of fish swimming in broth – no thanks…

13 Mrs T { 02.24.12 at 9:50 am }

Sadly I’m like Andrew in the kitchen, grater, knives or anything with sharp corners are an accident waiting to happen.
I have my fingers and toes crossed for a twist at the end with the scoring just to really piss people (Thomas & Carla) off. WA blew it last night little mistakes but big consequences, they are a nice couple its a shame.

14 Cherry Gripe { 02.24.12 at 10:47 am }

~swear warning~ Thomas appears to be confusing strategy and lady gardens, because I could swear that every time he says he’s “being strategic” he’s actually being a real c@#$. Sorry, my bad.

15 drb123 { 02.24.12 at 10:54 am }

I agree with Isabel – Mr NZ constantly looks like he’s got a whiff of someones fart

16 paulski { 02.24.12 at 10:54 am }

I’m pretty much as disgusted by T&C’s behaviour as everyone else here. There’s such a thing as winning or losing with your integrity intact – the WA pair’s is, the Vic couple’s not so much.

Can we get this round over and done with so they can (inevitably) get bounced from the competition as soon as possible?

17 Izobel2 { 02.24.12 at 11:18 am }

Excellent idea TV Junkie (#9)!! Combining the 2 scores over the two rounds is an excellent twist. That seems fair. I felt sorry for the WA team, only because I like them the best! If their meal’s were cooked as good as they could’ve/should’ve been that would’ve been my favourite menu so far. I still think 250K is a lotta cash for cooking a couple of meals. Let’s hope once they go to kitchen headquarters or whatever it’s called they have to cook lots of meals and earn their cash.

18 seepi { 02.24.12 at 1:04 pm }

I can’t work out why people don’t actually practice cooking their meals first. They never should have been wondering how to cook the duck on the night!

19 brain dead dave { 02.24.12 at 1:16 pm }

I think Manu walking up to Andrew and Emma’s door and seeing that large ornamental frog on the brickwork was a highlight for me.

“Ze soup..eet was like sea water”……….with $hit floating in it.

Amateurs practice until they get it right and professionals until they can’t get it wrong.

Cooking the duck twice was too big an ask for the humorous hacks from WA.

20 kess { 02.24.12 at 2:25 pm }

The most interesting thing last night – those ball drink things, is there a recipe for those?People in this competition have some weird concepts for dessert.
And lighten up – Tom & Carla may be all kinds of stupid but they are not the devil. Deseperate and deluded sure, more young and foolish than anything else.

21 Cherry Gripe { 02.24.12 at 2:44 pm }

No, kess, Tom and Carla are just four kinds of mean and dumber than a box of hair. You don’t see other people handing out ones out of 10, do you? Or looking so thoroughly delighted when the others fail?

22 Leop { 02.25.12 at 8:25 am }

Promo shows bottom 3 teams, in MKR kitchen – not clever Ch.7 !

23 Wurstsemmel { 02.26.12 at 8:28 pm }

Seen the MKR dinner party cd? Wonder if it’s got a crap track by Thomas?

24 Anonymice { 02.28.12 at 12:44 am }

Bit dissapointed with these two. Considering their science background and their numerous references to “molecular gastronomy”” not seeing much clever science. Either repeatedly use the science when cooking or just shut up about it.