My Kitchen Rules – Peter and Gary Cook Again

“You say galantine, I say ballantine” says Manu well that is what he should have said. After hearing Gary and Peter be continually pretentious with their comments on how the guests around the table would not know what a galantine was, it appeared they did not either.

Manu put them straight and said that it was a ballantine. Gary blamed the thirty year old Woman’s Weekly Cookbook he had been using.

I still don’t get why this pair are so pretentious. Why bother saying the french for main course? Also they had a dig about the other teams serving sparkling wine but calling it champagne.

Entree was moreton bay bugs with garlic and lemon and fresh baguettes, main was Duck Galantine with Orange Sauce and dessert was Rhubarb Creme Brulee.

They were having a better prep time but not without some dramas Peter sounded like he was dreadfully sick.

Also there their electricity went so the prep clock was stopped while the electrician was called. Did the load from the filming overload the system, however normally the production crew take their own generator.

Peter was clearly not in a good mood, and this was not helped when Gary got water over some of the creme brulees.

With the entree Manu thought there was too much garlic, and Pete said the seafood was overcooked. Also Manu put the boot into the shop bought baguette said it was bad bread.

They still took a long time between entree and main course, but not as long as previously. They topped and tailed snow peas one by one, they had to make and reduce the orange sauce, and also take the string out of the chicken.

Pete liked the main but did not like the sauce. Also he would have liked some sexier ingredients in it like truffles or foie gras. Manu thought the sauce was too acidic.

Thomas said the sauce and snow peas were a write off, and Scott thought he was trying to influence people around the table. I do like it how Thomas is trying to manipulate the competition, which is not a bad idea for him, as we have not seen any sign of him being actually able to cook.

Pete loved the rhubarb in the creme brulee, and Manu thought it was a brulee how it should be.

Then it was back to the MKR kitchen, and the judges scored first.

Manu scored them a five for entree, a five for main, and a nine for dessert.

Pete scored them a three for entree, a six for main, and a nine for dessert.

The teams scored them 32 out of 50. Which gave then a grand total score of 69 which meant they were safe. This meant Emma and Andrew were eliminated from the competition. Also it was revealed that by Meg and Simon being on the top of the scoreboard they were safe from the next elimination.

1 littlepetal { 02.28.12 at 9:32 pm }

I wasn’t enjoying tonight episode as I am getting bored. I don’t mind P&G but would have thrown something at T&C. Thank God we are getting the rest of the contestants back as I have already forgotten some of them.

2 donae { 02.28.12 at 9:34 pm }

I have to admit I have that book Women’s Weekly French Cooking Made Easy which also has a ballotine which is now the gala tine I suppose
and…on page 77 are the poached pears;one with chocolate sauce and one with raspberry looking exactly like the ones Peter and Gary cooked.
Sometimes the oldies are golden, sometimes not.

3 Georgie { 02.28.12 at 9:43 pm }

I agree littlepetal it was getting boring. At one stage I yelled at the tele, “okay already, now FFS get on with it will you”.

Talk about dragging it out – how many times can they have Emma and Andrew saying they don’t want to be eliminated and maybe there was still a chance they’d be safe. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

4 seepi { 02.28.12 at 9:45 pm }

It was so slow how he made those viscuits one by one too, balancing them on teh rolling pin, then putting them on the tray one by one. I thought he was going to shape them around the rolling pin, but it seemed he was just moving them onto the tray the slowest way possible.

I would’ve liked their meal though – woman’s weekly french must be right up my alley!

5 littlepetal { 02.28.12 at 9:51 pm }

After the judges scores, there is no way Emma and Andrew still think they have a chance. They are suppose to be scientists but can’t add and can’t count! Judges scores were 37 and Emma and Andrew gave them a 6 which already add up to 43! Sad to see them go. Would have love to see Thomas and Carla get eliminated first.

Thomas has no class in eating. Who dips the meat in the sauce bowl? and commenting that the green curry is green in colour!!!!

6 PollyB { 02.28.12 at 9:57 pm }

P & G just seemed, oh I don’t know, so human tonight. Can’t believe I’m saying this, but Peter really does seem Ok. My IQ stopped recording early so don’t know what’s on tomorrow night, but I want to see Tom & Carla cook/fail a couple more times before they are eliminated.

7 Reality Raver { 02.28.12 at 11:41 pm }

Polly B tomorrow night it looks like a Masterchef Australia like challenge for the first part, so they are not in the MKR kitchen.

Agree it was time to stop the instant restaurants.

8 brain dead dave { 02.29.12 at 12:08 am }

My friend in Sydney has similar story of IQ stopping recording early. It’s the insatiable greed of Ch 7 to jam as many commercials into it’s culinary cashcow as possible. Home and Away always runs overtime as well. MKR ran well overtime in Adelaide on Mon night.

Disturbingly, there is even a nauseating MKR music CD being promoted in a shamelss imitation of Matt Preston’s simlilarly appalling muzak for dining endorsement from Ma$terchef. Guaranteed to kill your dinner party.

However ,thank you to Ch7 for so many MKR ads tonight that it enabled me to frequently flick over to the cricket. Tonight’s game eet was fantastique.

9 Reality Raver { 02.29.12 at 12:25 am }

BDD – Nine and Seven both are not great at that I always press the plus 20 minutes button when I record as I have been caught out too many times.

10 Marie { 02.29.12 at 1:46 am }

Does anyone else get those moments where the show plays for about 30 seconds there an ad (always for the same tablet thingo as far as I can tell) interrupts. What is that? To lure people who have stepped away from the TV with the sound of the show then spring another ad on them?

It does look like Masterchef in the coming episodes!

Peter just seems like such a delicate little flower. The accident with water in the dessert really got to him! It was also pretty rich, the pretentiousness associated with the Champagne seeing as they served a baguette that was not a baguette and galantine that was not galantine. So authentic hardy har. Anyway, they did pretty okay overall!

Thomas confuses me. All the ‘influencing’ was clearly meant to be very negative yet they were not at risk and if he wanted Peter and Gary gone why did he and Carla score more fairly than they did for Emma and Andrew? I don’t understand the aim at all, maybe he really did just not like it. Or is it just an attempt to make it easier to discredit Peter and Gary in future?

I am sad to see Emma and Andrew go because I actually liked them! In comparison to most of the other teams who I either don’t care about at all or dislike.

11 Lebay { 02.29.12 at 7:02 am }

My IQ also cut early, but I was also recording Packed to the Rafters, so I got it on there….

I want Thomas and Carla to make it all the way through…. then crash and burn at the final hurdle….

12 Georgie { 02.29.12 at 7:12 am }

I noticed last night, very clear deliberate shots of the untouched food on the contestants plates at the same time showing the part eaten food on Pete and Manu’s plates while they gave their feedback to Peter and Gary.

It was almost as if the producers wanted to convince viewers ‘this is how it happens thank you’. But I’ve also seen the empty plates too like littlepetal mentioned before.

13 PollyB { 02.29.12 at 7:34 am }

Georgie I noticed that too. And seriously, they must be always eating cold food. For me it is sacrilegious to receive cold food in a restaurant.

14 smauge { 02.29.12 at 7:43 am }

Marie – they are posing them as little snippets brought to you by Samsung Galaxy Tab. You’re probably right about luring people back into the room.
My TiVo also missed the end, mercifully just before my favourites were eliminated. I wasn’t upset. I couldn’t stand having to see Thomas’ smug face watching them walk out the door. I can’t wait to see the back of them!

15 Georgie { 02.29.12 at 7:51 am }

Agree PollyB and I don’t think anyone (other than maybe the judges) can adequately assess the food if it’s not eaten in it’s intended state. Not just ‘cooled down’ hot food either – how many ‘warmed up’ cold desserts are affected too.

16 Paul { 02.29.12 at 8:54 am }

I am constantly amazed at the amount of times the contestants have some sort device issue on this show.

How many times have we seen ovens blow up this season?
And then last night, the electricity ‘just so happened’ to go off for what seemed to be no reason at all.

Its starting to become laughingly obvious that its set up.

I don’t even know why Seven bother even resorting to this sort of shite?

17 Lesley { 02.29.12 at 8:56 am }

Can someone tell me where P&G ended up compared to the others 3rd, 5th wherever.

18 kleenex mum { 02.29.12 at 9:01 am }

Well i dont think thomas could wipe that smug grin off his face all night, god i would have loved to, disappointed that E an A have gone, and t ans c remain, lets hope they get there just deserts, I have now learnt to push the little red button 20 PLUS i was on the edge of my seat and the words programe ends had me flying off the chair, thank god for mkr website i was able to watch the end this morning.

19 RU4Real { 02.29.12 at 9:02 am }

The producers of this shite show must be going nuts on how to make up some more crap for us to get sucked into. Yeah yeah, I’m hooked on the garbage too. But come on folks…….this is not scripted??????

20 Calliegirl { 02.29.12 at 9:24 am }

Just loved Andrew’s fake French accent. He sounded like he was clearing his throat when he did it. Will miss him and his humour.

21 paulski { 02.29.12 at 9:28 am }

Lesley, I believe Peter and Gary finished third in this group behind NZ and Tassie, with the Qld soldier boys 4th.

And Thomas & Carla, soon the bell will toll for thee. You can’t cook and that’s going to be a bit of a problem.

22 littlepetal { 02.29.12 at 9:36 am }

The power failure is so scripted. I don’t think I can get an electrician to come in within 1/2 hr of a power failure.

The reward to the NZ team is not fair. They forgot NZ team is in the bottom 6 not top 6. The reward should be given to the team with the highest score (in all the rounds).

Tonight I think they are cooking at the Blue Mountains.

23 Lesley { 02.29.12 at 9:40 am }

Paulski, thank you for your comment.

24 Leop { 02.29.12 at 9:52 am }

Don’t know if this is acceptable on your blog RR, (if not, delete, eeek) but here is an interesting article on interview with Emma and Andrew

25 Mrs T { 02.29.12 at 10:04 am }

Ew I feel somewhat embarassed for Peter and Gary, they may or may not be aware but some amazing French cookbooks have been published in the last 20 years by French chefs. Not to take away from the Womens Weekly cookbook, it has it’s place.
Tonight will sort the wheat from the chaff quick smart, from the promo looks like Tassie gal looses it and yet again becomes a hinderance in the kitchen.

26 Cheryl { 02.29.12 at 12:12 pm }

Andrew was on Nova in Perth this morning, he said they often ate cold food, the first instant restaurant at Peter and Gary’s house didn’t finish until 3am, and none of them could eat the soup in the jar very easily because they couldn’t fit their spoons into the jar and get it out with soup still on it. Then he managed to grate 5 carrots without getting any finger in it :)

27 drb123 { 02.29.12 at 12:25 pm }

For all of their judgments of people’s food knowledge and perceptions of fine French Cuisine, pressing a recipe from a Womens Weekly cookbook from 30 years ago was a bit naff. It may also where Manu is getting his inspiration from when he cooks, but it probably isn’t

28 Izobel2 { 02.29.12 at 1:00 pm }

I am sad that my fave team has gone, but am happy that finally we are out of people’s homes as I don’t like these guys scoring each other. I can’t remember, but hopefully it’s just Pete & Manu doing the scoring from now on in the MKR Kitchen…

29 Chunks { 02.29.12 at 1:48 pm }

Very old fashioned cooking. They need to buy some new cookbooks and get out of the 70s.

30 littlepetal { 02.29.12 at 2:36 pm }

Old is new again?

31 TaraMacca { 02.29.12 at 2:54 pm }

@Polly
MY IQ stopped taping at around 25 minutes too… I was so annoyed.
Now that somebody else has said it, & I know it wasn’t MY fault I’m gonna complain…

32 kess { 02.29.12 at 2:57 pm }

So glad Pete & Gary are safe, they are great to watch, the doctor is doing his partner no favours with all the French floss and he’s rather passive aggressive. Lawyer guy was rather endearing last night.

33 Ralphie { 02.29.12 at 3:19 pm }

I also have the Women`s Weekly French Cookbook. The ingredients that Peter & Gary used are exactly the same as in the cookbook but with slightly different measurements. There is also a creme brulee recipe in the book which obviously the boys did not follow. The photo shows 2 raspberries on top for decoration. I have made quite a few recipes over the years from the book & all have turned out like restaurant quality.

34 Rosie { 02.29.12 at 4:23 pm }

I was greatly amused by the failure of Peter and Gary’s pretentiousness last night. Had me squealing with laughter when Manu pointed out that it was not a galantine.

And of course Gary very correctly pronounced sautée as “sowtay” – as if anyone cares. Which made me wonder was Peter going to get his bottie smacked later for saying “sawtay”. Although I get the impression that Petey would be the one doing the spanking in that little family. *childish giggle*

35 PollyB { 02.29.12 at 5:10 pm }

Andrew & Emma talking to Herald Sun –

He also revealed some inside secrets about the show, including they get a $1700 budget for booze, food and decorations for their instant restaurants, contestants are not allowed to take the temperature of the food into account when scoring (“because it is often cold”), and that judges Pete Evans and Manu Feildel sneak into the kitchen a lot more than viewers see on TV.

36 Nards { 02.29.12 at 6:18 pm }

Shouldn’t the reward be going to Nic and Rocco as they are at the top of the total leader board with 95 points. Perhaps Meg has forgotten this but she will be reminded tonight when she is reunited with all the other teams who weren’t facing elimination.

Please, please, please can Thomas and Carla be sent home? Although I am looking forward to Thomas eating his words in tonight’s challenge when he realises he is out of his depth. I really think their ongoing strategy has been to get Emma and Andrew eliminated which is why they scored 1 but gave other teams 5 and 7 respectively.

37 brain dead dave { 02.29.12 at 6:34 pm }

Serving the food cold for appraisal puzzles me, especially when Manu sniffs his plates like a bloodhound. I learned from watching It’s Me Or The Dog that even lukewarm meat releases many more aromas and increases it’s appeal. It’s a bit like trying to score flat beer or champagne.

I’m ready for Tom and Carla to go. They’re stinking up the joint.

38 donae { 02.29.12 at 6:46 pm }

$1700 budget no surprise then that the dinner party is dead

39 sue N { 02.29.12 at 7:35 pm }

I am confused by your last comment, donae- I can’t even work out what you are trying to point out??? budget too high ??? budget too low???

40 donae { 02.29.12 at 10:28 pm }

1700 is fine for a tv show, but some of those meals were ordinary.
who could afford to spend that on a meal for friends, the point is no one does 3 course dinners at home because its cheaper to go out.

41 sue N { 02.29.12 at 11:37 pm }

$1700 is for the theme, props/decorations, menus (printing etc), possibly special kitchenware/elements to cook with- a lot more than would be done for a “friends” dinner party, etc etc etc…. I am really not sure you can even compare the 2 experiences?? :)