Guest Post: Gabby Millgate Blogs On Excess Baggage For Reality Ravings

The fabulous Gabby Millgate has agreed to blog on Excess Baggage for Reality Ravings, so we get a unique perspective of the show, plus a witty recap. You can follow her on Twitter @gabbymillgate or check out her website or her YouTube Channel for a laugh.

Over to you Gabby Millgate:

Hello you!

I’ve been asked by Reality Ravings to write a guest blog about last night on excess baggage WED 29 Feb on Go!

As I am a contestant on Excess Baggage my perspective is going to colour this whole blog (…as being informative & self indulgent is  such a rare opportunity).
My perspective is this :I watch the show & tweet after a day of workouts & challenges.

LOCATION: GOLD COAST
ENDURANC: CHALLENGE
IN A NUTSHELL:High rise stairs from hell with aspects of Gold Coast Meter-maid
BEST TWEET: @MrsMRecommends “might have guessed Ajay wouldn’ do it #shirker I feel for the camera and sound crew having to do it! #excessbaggage”

RECAP

Firstly the most important info:
WHO VOMITED? Nathan…its his usual reaction to anything extreme.

WHO NEARLY DIES? Kate DeRugio AND Nathan

Lets start with Darryn and Lisa (RED TEAM).
They come last again but not before @MarniKelly tweeted “@lusheslamour call @DarrynLyonsMrP geriatric & a cockatoo in 1 show,brilliant”.

The Orange team with Dippa and Lana continue to delight me. Lana unique turn of phrase describing Dippa’s frustration made judge @joannanutrition  tweet this “Thank goodness Dipper is a gent I kept my teeth :)”.

The Blue team K-Fed /Renea showed us love and exhaustion. It’s amazing how K-fed pulls all the chicks…right up 78 floor of stairs. and Renae seemed to do it effortlessly…Is she a robot from the future sent back in time to loose weight?
He said I love you and she heaved onto his chest…..which is understandable  78 floors with Matt Purple team behind her…somewhere down a few flights a giant man
on a mission to win.

It was like watching something from a horror movie.

Then Nathan vomited (in his team colour-yellow), and then Kate nearly died.
Ben (my teammate) came to the rescue and got her to safety, but to do that they had to keep climbing.

Watching this made me ask some important questions.

What is the purpose of the competition element?
Is it survival of the fittest?
If it was for Ben he would have kept walking and left Kate to be taken care of by someone else.
Helping your mate no matter what team you’re on, seems to be at Ben’s core.
How do you score that in a competition?
Are we on a battlefield or a playground?
I’m glad this show is about choice.

Me…I was very brave and waited really hard at the top having taken the elevator.
I closed my eyes and imagined sending Ben energy…dunno if it worked
That can’t be measure either.

Next show:
Thursday Night March 1 is the first Elimination. Who will be in the bottom two?
Who do you think will be standing in front of the judges explaining and justifying why they deserve to escape ELIMINATION?!!
Everybody’s worried. Everybody should be. Understandable

1 Gabby { 03.01.12 at 9:08 am }

I hope I didn’t give you the wrong impression. I’m still on the show. The first Elimination is tonight. No one is safe. Even though Benny and I are on top of the leader board I’ve been burning the candle at both ends and raided the mini bar…I may have put ON weight!!!

2 Reality Raver { 03.01.12 at 1:52 pm }

Hey Guest – I removed your comment as it may have been a potential spoiler.

3 Maree Pilakis { 03.01.12 at 2:39 pm }

Love your work Gabby!!!
Lana’s mum!

4 MJ { 03.01.12 at 3:57 pm }

Gabby

I LOVE Excess Baggage. I have no idea why it hasn’t rated so well. I also have a weight problem and hearing that it isn’t just about how many pushups you do and how much chocolate you DONT eat but how your mind and heart works as well is such a relief. You and Ben are my favourite team. I found this website by googling you both. You are funny and courageous and Ben definitely has the biggest heart in the team. Go Green Team!!!!!!

5 Mia { 03.01.12 at 4:35 pm }

Great recap, thanks, Gabby!

That stair climb was INSANE! I mightn’t have a weight problem, but I’d have struggled making it to the end. Yet again, great sportsmanship shown by Ben, helping Kate complete the challenge.

6 Gabby { 03.01.12 at 4:37 pm }

Hi MJ
I’m on twitter pretty much every night the shows on. Thanks so much for your comment. I also think belonging to a group has played a big factor in tackling a life long weight battle. Keep in touch
Gabby

7 Elizabeth { 03.01.12 at 5:10 pm }

Thanks Gabby for the insider view. I’ve been wondering/concerned about the competition element especially the last two: the dangerous ocean conditions of earlier this week and that killer stair climb. Doesn’t quite fit in comfortably with the rest of the show.

Ben was fantastic helping Kate. He should get a special award for best sport of the series; a true gentleman.

8 CJ { 03.01.12 at 6:39 pm }

I have so enjoyed watching this show, although in some ways the stair climb was hard to watch. In comparison to that “other weight loss show” this show is not about humiliation (which it seems to me the ‘other one’ is), but is all about respect, having it and getting it back for yourself. When Renae offered to go up the stairs and Kevin said yes, at first I thought – ‘uhoh?’ – but then it became clear what that was about. He encouraged her to be – well – awesome – and she was – what a great example of enabling someone to be their best (and her achieving it of course!). When I think back to the opening week and how all the contestants were so down on themselves, it has been like watching a light turn on inside each of them and they’re now starting to sparkle like mad. Well done everyone – you are all awesome!

9 donna green { 03.01.12 at 7:48 pm }

go green team!
fun watching u guys.
you look great
Donna

10 Pangus { 03.01.12 at 7:52 pm }

Thanks Gabby for contributing to this blog.Much appreciated. Love your great comedy as well,especially your portrayal of Julia . Maybe you could act as her double when the Queen comes or when she has to meet Church leaders.

11 sue N { 03.02.12 at 11:40 pm }

I agree, I am loving the show (mostly ;-)) and in particular- Gabby’s wit. I thought Grant & John absolute champs and am sorry they left.

I think Ajay is full of shite, and even if (!!) she couldn’t compete- she could friggin turn up and support her team mate and the others. If what we are seeing portrayed has any credibility- then she has zero!

I hope if the show ends sooner than planned, then that is due to editing- not the actual production, events and challenges. I much prefer this show to losers, and even though it is on 9 (my nemesis) I have enjoyed it :). Darryn & Lisa are a crack up, as is Gabby.

I hope Grant & John continue training on “the outside” and really do well in the finale- if there still is 1.

great blog too Gabby :)