My Kitchen Rules: The B&B Challenge

Tonight they were cooking for Bed and Breakfast owners and their families. The team that receives the most votes wins and is safe from elimination. Manu and Pete gets to pick the worst two dishes and those teams will be in a cook off.

They have to cook for fifty people. I love the way they rock up to the B&B’s with two half full shopping bags each. Coles shopping bags must use the same technology as Dr Who’s tardis.

However I don’t think the fifty people actually taste all the dishes so the B&B people were voting on the best dish of the ones they tasted.

Helen and Steve made Mediteranean Pancakes. I know I am meant to like this pair, and Steve is allegedly funny but they just seem like they force themselves to be jovial. Hopefully viewers will get to know them better to be able to form an opinion as they have not had much screen time.

Manu liked the flavour of the buckwheat as he thought it was different and I thought they were unlucky to not win.

Megan and Andy made a Bacon and Leek with Gruyere Tart with Roasted Tomatoes. Megan forgot to prick the pastry, her poor attention to detail is quite funny. However the judges liked it, but they said the pastry was not cooked properly.

Carla and Thomas made Honey Chicken and Roasted Almond Filo with Blueberry Maramalade and goats cheese. When will this pair learn not to put so many ingredients in their dish, it sounded foul. Pete could not keep a neutral face when judging it he looked like he was about to heave. Manu said he liked the jam! Pete said the presentation was good, however said it was not enjoyable to eat.

Jennifer and Leigh were smart and going for few ingredients but high technical skill with Slow Cooked Eggs with green sauce. Unfortunately for them their thermometer broke so this was an issue as they had to keep the water temperature at 62 degrees. However they found another thermometer.

The judges loved the dish and the egg was cooked perfectly. The presentation was also appealing.

Carly and Emily went with a Blueberry Brioche Cup with Labne Yoghurt, the judges thought it was a great dish.

Peter and Gary are making crepes with veloute, it was interesting to see if they would actually get it done in time considering the time it takes them to chop ingredients. However they did. Manu gave them a tickle up about the constant cooking of french classics from the 70’s and told them to be a bit more modern if they wanted to stay in the competition for any length of time.

Peter also wanted Sam and Jillian to be at the bottom as he felt they were the ones that stabbed them in the back when they did their first instant restaurant. Peter clearly was repressing the memory of his moaning about the time it took for Sam and Jillian to put out their main.

The judges thought it was very old school but thought the flavour was not too bad.

Scott and David made Field Mushrooms with asparagus, poached eggs, and roasted tomatoes with David’s home made chutney. The judges thought there was a lot going on  but it worked.

The WA girls, Angela and Justine, cooked Baked Pancetta Eggs with Italian Baked Beans and Corn Muffins. Pete thought the muffin let the dish down as it was doughy. However they thought the rest of the plate was beautiful.

Nic and Rocco cooked Bacon, Egg and Spinach parcels. Pete thought it was not the standard they delivered in the restaurant. Pete said there was no wow in the dish.

Jillian and Sam were cooking French Toast with Banana Cream. The judges thought the bread had not been soaked enough as it was dry, and they did not like the flavour of the banana cream. Manu thought it tasted like unripe bananas and far too gelatinous.

Carly and Emily won the peoples choice award and were safe from elimination.

Peter was not happy about it as he thought it was wrong that they won with a dessert. Long time viewers of these shows like this and Masterchef Australia know the majority of time the sweet dish wins, particularly if kids are allowed to vote.

It was no surprise that Carla and Thomas would be in the elimination cook off as the dish was inedible. However the look on Thomas’s face was priceless he looked so angry, however I could not work out whether he was cranky with Carla whose dish it was or the judges for not being able to taste their brilliance.

1 littlepetal { 02.29.12 at 9:09 pm }

Funny Megan still have problem with the pastry and the pastry is store bought pastry. She obviously doesn’t bake much.

I was wondering why do you put gelatine to make banana cream? Isn’t mashed banana thick enough?

Glad that Thomas and Carla bomb out again. I hope they will be in a few elimination cook-off before they get eliminated. Always love to see his face when his dish is one of the worst.

2 Mia { 02.29.12 at 9:57 pm }

I love that Andrew’s prophetic parting shot at Thomas and Carla – about there being nowhere to hide behind their unsportsn-likestrategy now, and that only the best cooks qill survive – has come true, and their crappy kitchen skills have landed them in the first cook off.

3 Georgie { 02.29.12 at 9:59 pm }

That lump served up by Peter and Gary reminded me of the pool floater in Caddyshack – I was humming the Jaws theme.

4 PollyB { 02.29.12 at 10:08 pm }

Got it now, T&C’s dishes are all uni days recipes, munchies created from scraps cos all their money was spent on the hooch, craving for weird food combos.
Anyhoo, if Sam & Jillian don’t end up in the elimination I’ll be surprised. I reckon the Greek siblings are probably really fun, outgoing, but are being made to ham it up for the cameras. I’m liking the army guys, but my faves so far are Carly & Emily and Nic & Rocco – intelligent, grounded, fun & good cooks. Unlike another young pairing.

5 Maz { 02.29.12 at 10:26 pm }

T&C’s offering looked like cat food wrapped in filo.

When Carla explained to the judge that the dish had become more sophisticated over the years -do you think that means they dropped the 2-minutes noodles from the dish?

6 michelle26 { 02.29.12 at 10:38 pm }

T&C – surely you don’t think that combo sounds interesting or nice. Thank goodness I don’t know you so there is no chance of being invited to dinner .. I don’t have to make an excuse not to eat.

7 amy { 02.29.12 at 11:14 pm }

‘food that came from my uni days’ = food that i ate when i was hungover

8 brain dead dave { 02.29.12 at 11:19 pm }

Manu’s pronunciation of Tom & Carla’s offering was spot on…..”Crap”

Too late for strategy now.

9 Reality Raver { 03.01.12 at 12:00 am }

Sorry about typos but very late in US when I was blogging it I think they are now fixed. But sure a couple will have slipped through.

10 Chunks { 03.01.12 at 12:21 am }

Tom and Carla have very, shall we say unusual palates. Their dish sounded quite gag inducing. I’m starting to like Peter and Gary more but the Woman’s Weekly has updated its cookbooks many times over the years.

11 wallah { 03.01.12 at 12:38 am }

For Peter and Gary, I do have a signed copy of the Don Dunstan Cookbook, no pun intended, just same vintage. God on them though, those Woman’s Weekly cookbooks are absolute gold.
For Carla though, I’ve been wondering where I’ve seen her before on tv. Then it hit me.
Once the Giss was gone, I stopped watching Idol.

12 kleenex mum { 03.01.12 at 8:19 am }

Was priceless seeing the amazed look on T and C faces…. as soon as they grabed the minced chicken I knew they were goners, How low could peter go when the judges anounced the sisters as winners, his coment was – it was rigged- was shear jelousy, have you noticed peters knife skills in the kitchen compared to many of the other couples…..he just doesnt have kitchen skills.

13 littlepetal { 03.01.12 at 8:30 am }

You forgot when Peter cut the beans one at a time. I actually don’t mind Peter comment last night. Even the girls were surprise that they won the People’s Choice. I thought Helen and Steve might be the winner.

14 Anna { 03.01.12 at 9:17 am }

Oh my, would you let these people into your kitchen? The B & Bs were lovely. I can imagine they were well compensated for allowing MKR into their establishments.
But the chaos created by these contestants is unbelievable. I know what, how about taking marks off for the messiest bench. Won’t happen of course.

15 Calliegirl { 03.01.12 at 9:36 am }

I’m glad the girls won with their slow cooked eggs. That is the dish I would have chosen. Loved the look on Tom’s face when their dish was panned. At least Carla keeps a semblance of a smile on hers – but his was just a picture – like a spoilt little child!! Loved it!!

16 paulski { 03.01.12 at 9:41 am }

Every time I start to warm to the queens(landers), they go and say something stupid that puts them offside again. Maybe Peter simply is that nasty? And bye bye Cats Bum Face – we all knew it was coming, just not necessarily so soon.

17 Izobel2 { 03.01.12 at 12:11 pm }

90% of the meals looked lovely I thought, and it was making me very hungry as I was watching the ep at 5am! Mind you not T & C’s, that was just scary.
I liked Scott & David’s mushroom asparagus breakfast the best.
And agreed RR, it was very Masterchef to make a dessert knowing that desserts get lots of votes.
KRudd needs to stop with the French.
And maybe I’m missing The Renovators as I was very interested in the lovely houses, I’d stay in any of those I reckon!

18 Bruiser Brody { 03.01.12 at 12:32 pm }

As you said above, weren’t the worst 2 dishes meant to go into a cook-off?? The transparent bottom 2 teams just need to get the f out, its embarrasing that they think they have any semblance of skills…

Also agree with previous comment – why did NZ get immunity, when they were The Best Of The Rest??? Surely highest evers scores (Nic & Rocco) deserve that!

Are Tom & Carla mentally retarded? I ask that in all seriousness – they just exude pure hipster Melbourne “oh yes, we enjoy goats cheese and blueberry, lavender, you name it! We grew up in the wine district donchyaknow” – and then, mix it together… Pete’s WTF face was priceless… chicken… and blueberry… and nuts… and goats cheese WTF?!?! Why are they shocked???

19 Cherry Gripe { 03.01.12 at 12:56 pm }

Thomas and Carla’s recipes remind me of a game by pals I used to play at the pub. We called it Inappropriate Muffin and the idea was to come up with the most repulsive combination you could think of, like apricot and fritz (that’s devon, for you eastern types), strawberry and gherkin or fish paste and white chocolate.

Or maybe they just have a Hipster Ingredient Generator app on their iPhones.

20 Leop { 03.01.12 at 1:27 pm }

Pete ‘advised’ T&C enough of the weird combos he also told KRudd to move it up and get out of the 70’s – if these two couples don’t take his advice, well, we’ll see them go early in the show, as now, the real games begin – Tom & Carla, and Sam & Gillian will be gone soon anyhow, I feel it in my licorice lamb pineapple pie

21 kleenex mum { 03.01.12 at 1:46 pm }

hi Calliegirl, Carly and Emily the sisters actually won the peoples choice, they had the sweet muffins dish, Jennifer and Leigh had the slow boiled eggs, they got good praise from the judges.

22 Anonymous { 03.01.12 at 7:28 pm }

Thanks kleenex mum – I did get the people’s choice mixed up.

23 JM { 03.01.12 at 7:34 pm }

Izobel2 & Leop – I thought I was the only one who thought Gary was a dead ringer for Krudd. He has GOT to be related, the smugness, the creepy laugh, the unctious speech patterns and smarminess are too similar.

On another note, that Thomas boy is vile.

24 Mary Pyz { 03.01.12 at 10:49 pm }

I’m sure this has already come up, but I just can’t understand why Meg and Simon, who were amongst the lowest-scoring teams, got immunity, yet Nic and Rocco, who got the highest score of all time have been battling it out instead of sitting pretty with the others. What was their reward for coming first – risking elimination????

25 brain dead dave { 03.01.12 at 11:00 pm }

Only reason I can think of …..Meg’s putting it out for Manu and Pete.

26 Reality Raver { 03.02.12 at 2:28 pm }

Mary Pyz – it does seem a tad unfair, but they probably thought they had to have some carrot to dangle in front of the teams that were doing the instant restaurants again.

wallah – you have a wined copy of the Don Dunstan Cookbook? That is cool. I have one but is unsigned. They ate becoming collectors items.