Masterchef Australia – Matt Preston Says It Is Going To Be All About The Cooking

Masterchef Australia judge Matt Preston says the fouth series is going to be all about the cooking.

This is what they said about series three as well…

Anyway Matt Preston told the Herald Sun that it is going back to basics.

He said:

MASTERCHEF judge Matt Preston says series five of the ratings juggernaut will be all about cooking.

The Herald Sun columnist said they were bringing the Channel 10 hit back to basics this year – unlike other reality TV shows such as My Kitchen Rules, which announced a fourth series yesterday.

“TV shows are about ratings, MKR has been fantastic and everyone has loved watching it because they have taken a leaf out of The Block‘s box,” Preston said.

“The first thing we look at is whether they can cook. We could pick nuff nuffs who couldn’t cook and it would make great TV but it is not really what it is about.”

Thanks Polly B for sending in article. She also noted that Matt Preston’s new haircut looks suspiciously like Justin Beiber’s.

Photo: Herald Sun.

1 brain dead dave { 03.02.12 at 2:23 am }

Oh you said that last year,you cravatted cockroach.

Have you called Jenny yet?

There will be nuff nuffs galore.

2 littlepetal { 03.02.12 at 7:06 am }

OMG – He is fatter than I last saw a photo of him. Really? it’s all about the cooking?

3 Mel { 03.02.12 at 8:05 am }

Yes you should be wrorried about MKR.
Very VERY worried .
How come MC always has to take a swipe at MKRs success and MKR has never done this to Masterchef. MC are jealous and scared (or the MKR word of the month …perhaps “strategically” trying to undermine the success of a brilliant TV show – MKR). If we wanted a show purely about cooking we’d be watchingNigella. Be very worried if you are broadcasting that your show is only about cooking because it was only your previous attempts at entertainment that kept it vaguely interesting. Masterchef is as much a cooking show as MKR – they are both reality entertainment shows – and herein lies their success. Get off your high horse Mr Preston and try selling your show without undermining another!

4 Maz { 03.02.12 at 9:02 am }

And I had just finessed my sob story…

5 Georgie { 03.02.12 at 9:11 am }

Pin-up boy!

Not doing yourselves any favours with this pic MC.

6 kathl29 { 03.02.12 at 10:42 am }

After last years disaster where we had contestants serving up cupcakes and milkshakes as a dish I hope the contestants can cook this year otherwise I will be tuning out quite quickly. MKR has got it all over MC at the moment due to the focus on the food.

There is always going to be an element of contestants for entertainment purposes as they have to get ratings but surely they can find some contestants who can cook and can speak.

Wonder if they will take into account any of the stuff people complained about last year – the silly immunity challenges with no consistency of difficulty, the constant silly comments by contestants who tell us what we have just been told, the constant recapping of the same footage. If not it may be there last season.

7 Rosie { 03.02.12 at 12:13 pm }

Yep, just like last year.

Last year’s show was so pathetic that I gave up towards the end and couldn’t even muster enough interest to bother watch the final show.

I’ll keep an eye on RR’s wonderful recaps and if people seem to be saying people are actually cooking, I might give it a go. But my hopes are not high.

8 Injera { 03.02.12 at 1:15 pm }

Hmmm, I think this time last year (and the year before?) we were being told “best contestants EVAH!”. That is noticeably absent here… Does that mean they have cottoned on to the fact that past raising of expectations has backfired, or is this lot going to be a step down from previous crops?

9 Joseph Skyrim { 03.02.12 at 2:00 pm }

I’m not a fan of Matt’s hair in that Pic. :/

Anyway I hope it’s not just about the cooking though. They need to include eyecandy as that’s what works as my initial hook. Here’s a list to help illustrate my point:

Season 1: Justine. Between her and Sam’s hilarious raw chicken I was entertained enough to watch the whole thing. Once those two were out I was more watching Chris B. Final between Poh and Julie didn’t interest me so much as I wasn’t invested in them.

Kids Season 1: Sienna. How the heck can a kid be so cute! Also the Bliss twins had hearts of gold and I’m generally a sucker for such things.

Season 2: Skye. She didn’t last very long but it was enough to get me invested with Aaron and dark horse Jonathan for their skills. Once they were gone it was pretty “meh” for me.

Kids season 2: Struggled severely for me. I favoured Greta (and she did win) but she was no Sienna, and I wasn’t really invested one way or another for any of the others.

Season 3: Arena. Except she had no fricking air time. It was enough for me to take a liking to shakey hands Hayden though. Only after he was gone did Alana get speaking lines I think.

They really need to fix the format where they focus on like 6 people per episode in the early stages. Apart from making it easy to tell what’s going to happen by the time people come to the front it’s like… who are they? I thought they were just a throwaway background character. :/

The splitting of the s3 finale also still pisses me off. Infact I can’t remember off the top of my head who won season 3 as opposed to all the rest. In its place is a deep burning hatred for the renovators and any renovator type show.

Ah well, that’s just me.

10 Stacey { 03.02.12 at 2:02 pm }

I watched like 2 episodes of the last series it was that boring. Can’t stand any of the judges OR the contestants. The first series was the best, they nailed the casting with the constantly shaky Julie and the ‘onions are my friends’ chick. It doesn’t compare AT ALL to MKR anymore. Masterchef should either quit on a high note or really up the ante and do like an international version or something.

11 brain dead dave { 03.02.12 at 2:10 pm }

Justine ,Skye and Arena. Spot on ,Joseph.

That photo of Jowlzy is one of the worst. He could pass for an Elvis impersonator but the Justin Beiber haircut is just wrong.

12 Reality Raver { 03.02.12 at 2:22 pm }

Joseph – agree however the problem with season three was there was no one in the cast that the over 30 female could check out. I hope this has been rectified this year.

13 Georgie { 03.02.12 at 5:48 pm }

Bloater !

14 wannabecook { 03.02.12 at 7:40 pm }

I hope they come up with new challenges! The immunity challenges were sooo boring to watch coz there’s no merit to them anymore.. and really hope for more interesting contestants :)