My Kitchen Rules – Sam Really Has Had A Crap Childhood

Even though Sam does not look like she is handling the pressure in the My Kitchen Rules kitchen, it looks like in her personal life she has had to handle issues that would be unfathomable to most of us.

Sam was placed in foster care with her five other siblings, because at eleven she was looking after her younger brothers and sisters until authorities found them.

The Sunday Telegraph reports:

Abandoned by her mother when she was just 11, Bui was forced to raise her five siblings until authorities found them and arranged foster care.

Now, the reality TV contestant hopes her food future will involve helping children with similar family problems.

Bui, 23, was often left alone by her problem-gambler mother – occasionally for “weeks on end”.

“When my brother was six I let him go toΒ BroadwayΒ shopping centre. It was in hindsight the best thing that ever happened to us as police found him and came to the house. They asked where my parents were and I said it was all OK. They forced their way in and said: ‘My God! There’s two newborn babies here’.”

After being placed in foster care, Bui learnt that her mother had been arrested and imprisoned in Korea for drug trafficking.

“I don’t hate her, she’s my mother and I wouldn’t be here and wouldn’t be who I am if she didn’t make her mistakes,” she said.

Quite frankly I think she has turned out quite OK considering the neglect she has been through.

1 sue N { 03.04.12 at 8:05 am }

Wow- she has done well then, considering what she has been through. I just wish she would change how she does her eye makeup- not flattering. They seem like a nice pair of harmless twits, who can possibly cook- but don’t cope well with unfamiliar circumstances (lol). I hope they beat ferret face and his “friend” πŸ˜‰

2 Ralphie { 03.04.12 at 11:18 am }

Could not agree more about the eye makeup – it is a shocker & way too harsh. Get rid of the thick eyeliner or if you are going to wear it, take it to the end of the eye & not half way. It is unattractive for her eye shape & for the viewer.

3 Anonymous { 03.04.12 at 11:22 am }

We’re not all Bogans! I admire her artistic use of make-up and her classic Japanese eye-liner. They are a pair of fashion forward women.

4 smauge { 03.04.12 at 11:32 am }

Eyeliner is the least of her problems! After mothering her sibling at the age of 11 she should be allowed to where clown make up if that’s what she chooses.
It certainly explains her close relationship with her MiL. Best of luck to her!

5 PollyB { 03.04.12 at 1:32 pm }

Ease up Ralphie.
Hear, hear Smauge.

6 Leop { 03.04.12 at 1:35 pm }

Agree – her makeup has nothing to do with her desire to do well in MKR – why even go there about her eyeliner; bigger things to worry about for goodness sakes

7 Georgie { 03.04.12 at 2:08 pm }

So did Sam just win an immunity challenge or something?

It was okay to voice an opinion last week.

8 smauge { 03.04.12 at 2:31 pm }

Just voicing my different opinion, just like I did last week.

9 Georgie { 03.04.12 at 2:41 pm }

That’s cool smauge, I wasn’t referring to your post.

10 brain dead dave { 03.04.12 at 2:48 pm }

I don’t see how it relates to cooking ability or as a gold pass to treat her future mother in law like shit.. It would have been better made public at the beginning of the show and not after she received some negative feedback from the judges.

11 Georgie { 03.04.12 at 2:52 pm }

Amen bdd.

12 littlepetal { 03.04.12 at 2:59 pm }

Part of her story was on the profile page of contestants on the MKR website. I think Channel 7 just want to milk this story and got Sunday Telegraph to do a story on it.

13 sue N { 03.04.12 at 6:07 pm }

and, altho she has had a hard upbringing, we have all felt free and not been vilified, for commenting on Thomas’ looks (for example), so why is Sam’s odd application of makeup forbidden??? & I am tired of “fashion forward” being the excuse for – not attractive!!! ( and last time I checked I was not a bogan ;-))

just saying… & I still want them to beat ferret face and “friend” … :)

14 smauge { 03.04.12 at 6:28 pm }

I try and keep my comments reletive to the subject and thus generally keep to saying that I want to slap the living shit out of Thomas’s smug face.

15 Georgie { 03.04.12 at 6:28 pm }

Pretty much what I was on about sue N and Ralphie’s comment was a repeat of what he/she said on an MKR post last week. It didn’t draw any attention then, but we didn’t know about her background last week so it was apparently okay.

Anonymous posters are gutless.

16 sue N { 03.04.12 at 10:49 pm }

Georgie- I am totally confused as to what the hell you are referring to?

17 Reality Raver { 03.05.12 at 1:24 am }

Speaking of fashion forward I just bought bright orange patent leather boots they can only be described as polarising. Sam is early 20’s and I think that is the look at the moment. I think I am getting older as I am now tutting at things used to not phase me for example hooker heels and tight Lycra dresses that just cover the butt put those two together and I don’t get it.

18 smauge { 03.05.12 at 8:06 am }

RR – I’m just jealous that I can’t get away with those things any more. I want to see these polarizing boots.

19 sue N { 03.05.12 at 8:28 am }

ditto re boots πŸ˜‰

20 Cheryl { 03.05.12 at 12:17 pm }

It looks to me like Sam has either no or very very short eyelashes so she’s using eyeliner to define her upper lid. I also think she’s not extending it to the end of her eye to stop it from looking quite so oval but really it’s having the opposite effect.

21 Bev { 03.05.12 at 12:22 pm }

Dear Georgie

Actually, *I* had the guts to stick up for Sam last post on her, and *I* am the one who forgot to sign in on my work comp and ended up getting posting as anonymous – that’s what happens fyi.

Oh, and that information about Sam’s background was gone into when we were first introduced to her.

22 brain dead dave { 03.05.12 at 2:21 pm }

Clearly,you’re too switched on for us bogans,Kev.

23 Rosie { 03.05.12 at 5:34 pm }

Jeez….I do feel sorry for Sam having such a crap childhood.

But I thought this was a show about cooking? Does her having a crappier childhood than the others – possibly, we haven’t exactly had full details from everyone else – mean she deserves extra points?

I watch this show to see the cooking, dammit, not to hear sob stories.

As for the eyeliner, maybe one of Channel 7’s makeup people could have a quiet word with her? Because it looks ridiculous.

24 brain dead dave { 03.05.12 at 6:09 pm }

I agree with Rosie’s comment. I want to watch MKR and not Dr.Phil.

25 Georgie { 03.05.12 at 8:20 pm }

Yay – just got home after a long day at work followed by a long visit to my very old Mum who’s had to go into respite care before I have a complete breakdown, as I’m her carer and providing all the necessary support for her to remain as independant as possible. She’s extremely distressed about being in a home and quite frankly the whole situation is causing me enormous emotional anguish.

Add to this, my only sister, who lost her husband last year to a brain tumor, has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is now undergoing chemo after having a mastectomy. She’s on her own and lives 3 hours drive away from me, so I’m travelling up and down to support her too. I’m walking a very fine line right now, so when I finally get home and cook tea all I want to do is blonk out in front of MKR and watch the cooking.

I’m sincerely sorry if I’ve upset anyone by trying to say that I have a full crock at the mo’ and don’t want my MKR blonk-out fix turned into another crock. Or for trying to defend people’s right to say – this week – that they don’t like Sam’s crap eye makeup.

I believe every child deserves a happy, healthy and secure upbringing and I truly hope Sam’s adulthood is much happier than her unfortunate childhood.

As I’ve said before, everyone has got a story – now can we get on with the cooking competition.

26 Georgie { 03.05.12 at 9:41 pm }

I do believe Ch7 must have taken Rosie’s advice because Sam’s eye makeup looked much better tonight.

Bad luck with the cooking though – but shit happens!

27 Rosie { 03.05.12 at 10:11 pm }

Georgie, I am really sorry to hear that you and yours are going through such a lot of shit at the moment. Am thinking of you.

28 littlepetal { 03.05.12 at 10:18 pm }

Georgie- Sorry to hear about what is going in your life. Sending positive thoughts to you. Hope things get better soon. Take it out on Thomas !!!! He can’t cook!!

29 Georgie { 03.05.12 at 10:20 pm }

Thanks Rosie and littlepetal, I enjoy the time-out I get watching good reality shows like MKR and this blogging community. I guess I’m just trying to say we all have stuff to contend with.

30 brain dead dave { 03.05.12 at 10:42 pm }

That’s right,Georgie. Since when are reality TV contestants unique snowflakes? Add my sentiments to those of littlepetal and Rosie.

The Mornington maggot dodged a huge bullet tonight.

31 Georgie { 03.05.12 at 11:01 pm }

Thanks bdd. As always, a good laugh helps which is why I love this blog.

The Mornington maggot – I like that – yeah!

32 sue N { 03.05.12 at 11:04 pm }

“mornington maggot”- now that is pure gold!!!

Georgie- I did not mean to offend- just truly didn’t understand your comment, where you referred to me. Yes we all do have a lot on our plates, and I too come here for the chat and to escape!

& it is a cooking comp, please don’t go down the masterchef route and make it all about some damn sob story…please!! I love watching MKR, but damn I watch to spit on ferret face- gormless creep that he is!!! (P.S. I too thought Sam’s makeup had been toned down a tad- looked better for it too- IMO ;-))

33 Andrea { 03.05.12 at 11:10 pm }

Georgie, good on you, keep your chin up, you sound like a nice person. I went through something similar with both my parents who died two weeks apart after strokes and cancer took them so I know what you are going through. You will get through it and enjoy life again. Meanwhile keep blogging and watching your favourite tv shows.All the best.

34 Georgie { 03.05.12 at 11:18 pm }

Thanks sue N and no you didn’t offend me. I know my comments can be hard to follow at times – in fact I even lose track of what I’m on about.

35 Georgie { 03.05.12 at 11:28 pm }

Thanks Andrea – I appreciate your kind thoughts.

36 Brad { 03.08.12 at 4:02 pm }

I cannot believe how shallow some people are! Here is a story of triumph and a bunch of shallow airheads can only comment on her eye makeup! Unbelievable!

37 Hannah { 03.09.12 at 12:42 am }

I have been a makeup artist for 12 years and Sam does an amazing job of her eyeliner – I am envious of her technique. Ask anyone around me how much I have been going on and on about her look. She is so beautiful.

38 ads { 03.20.12 at 2:29 am }

please let me start with i’m strait and i love women. please also listen
when i say,
eye make or not sam’s steaming hot. and what she has managed to achieve since 11 is truly amazin. i’m just saying.