My Kitchen Rules – Another Elimination

Unfortunately the dour look on Jillian’s face in the interviews indicated they were the likely team to be eliminated, however I am not going to bag her out as I thought she was pretty classy the whole way through the series.

She was a cool under pressure as Sam her partner became excitable and stressed, and was fairly honest in her comments. Also even though it must have been testing at times, at the end she said she was so proud of Sam.

It was the elimination cook-off between Thomas and Carla, and the NSW team, which meant the judges were seen for the first time. I know I say it every series, but am not sure what Tobie Puttock adds to the show, and there should be a food critic sitting there in his place. The other judges were Guy Grossi, Karen Martini and Liz Egan.

As long as the show is rating it is unlikely they will change personnel. Also thought Liz Egan was looking particularly saucy, way to go Liz.

The challenge was to cook a three course meal in a strict time frame.

For entree Sam and Jillian served Seared Scallops on Parsnip Puree with Prosciutto Crumbs, for main Spiced Lamb Cutlets with Onion Sauce, and dessert was a Chocolate Martini with Raspberries.

Tom and Carla cooked for entree seared tuna with bitter greens, for main Slow Roasted Pork Belly on Pea Puree and Rosti, and dessert was Carla’s Chocolate Cups.

As last year the teams have 90 minutes before they have to serve their entree. Sam and Jillian made the mistake of roasting the parsnips which meant they had to add far to much cream to it and the parsnip flavour was not there.

Peter and Gary really don’t like Jillian and Sam as they were gleefully commenting on any of their mistakes. Are they still peeved that Jillian said the three hour wait for the main at their instant restaurant was unacceptable? Considering they complained about the wait at Sam and Jillian’s restaurant as well I don’t get it why they found them so offensive.

Both entrees looked nice, but Sam and Jillian’s appeared to have extra garnish on them that was not there when the time ended. However I did not rewind so I could be wrong.

Tobie Puttock thought Carla and Thomas’s entree a tad boring, clearly Manu and Pete needed to fill him in on some of the overdone dishes they have had to eat over the past few weeks.

However the consensus from the judges were that they pared it back far too much. It was thought the scallop entree was more composed, but because of the amount of cream put in the parsnip puree there was barely any parsnip flavour.

It was onto prep time for main. Thomas washed his grated potato to take out the starch but then added in flour to bind them, Manu was bemused by this  and said “So they take out the starch then add some back in?”.

Thomas was starting to lose the plot, and was running around like a chook without a head.

However main was turning into a disaster for the NSW team with Sam’s onion sauce looking disgusting with the sausage meat put in the onion and pork fat. Not sure why they needed the sauce when they had made a spicy fruit and nut garnish to go with it.

Also they put the lamb racks in the oven to late without browning them first. This impacted on the resting time of the meat.

Liz Egan thought the onion sauce tasted like it was the bottom of a pan, and she was not a fan. Guy Grossi thought it the let down to the dish.

For dessert it was the battle of the chocolate dishes, Carla’s Chocolate Cups which she had spent a lot of time on was told the chocolate cups were too thick, but the chocolate in it was very nice. She used a cream cheese in them rather than a traditional mousse.

The problem for Jillian and Sam with their chocolate martini was the amount of salt around the rim, which looked great, but it made it far to salty when they were eating it.

Guy Grossi gave a six, Tobie gave a five, Liz Egan gave a five, and Karen gave a five. Manu gave a six, and Pete gave them a five which gave them a total of 32 out of 60.

Tobie gave Thomas and Carla a six, Liz gave a six, Karen scored a seven, and Guy gave a seven. Pete gave a six, and Manu scored them a seven. Total was 39 out of 60. Thomas and Carla who were criticised for playing it safe with their menu were now safe from elimination.

1 Marie { 03.06.12 at 1:32 am }

So happy to see Liz Egan is going to be around!

I can’t imagine Thomas and Carla would have been any nicer than Sam and Jillian about the wait had they been at Peter and Gary’s restaurant.

Sam and Jillian were really starting to grow on me! I am sorry to see them go, especially instead of Thomas and Carla.

2 brain dead dave { 03.06.12 at 2:39 am }

OK , Jillian you can give Ronald Mc Donald his make up kit back now.

3 Georgie { 03.06.12 at 6:49 am }

Lmao bdd – I wondered who it was Jillian reminded me of, so thanks for clearing that up.

The Mm and his sidekick have nowhere to go now but out the next door.

4 littlepetal { 03.06.12 at 7:03 am }

Not sure why Peter and Gary don’t like Sam and Jillian. There must some personality clashes when they are not cooking. Sam and Jillian mentioned in the paper that it was time management and stress let them down. They still didn’t think it was their dishes that were no good. They also mentioned that Leigh and Jen and Angela and Leigh and Jennifer were the rudest pairs on the show.

“We didn’t get along with them because they wouldn’t give us the time of day. Walking down the corridor, we’d smile they wouldn’t even make eye contact. I understand it’s a competition but you don’t need to be rude,” Sam said.

Funny also to hear Sam said she should be a pastry chef!!!!!

Have an eye on the colour of the aprons worn by the teams. Last series those that wore the white aprons got booted out most of the time. Hope it is not true this time

5 sue N { 03.06.12 at 8:24 am }

all I can say is …DAMN, ferret face and friend are still there :(.

altho, sadly, I do think they probably cooked the better food on the night, but still…DAMN!!!!!

6 Calliegirl { 03.06.12 at 8:40 am }

Bit harsh BBD on Jill’s makeup. Enjoyed the night’s viewing, but sorry that Tom and Carla are still in comp.

7 smauge { 03.06.12 at 8:55 am }

My favourite moment of the night – “oh crap! I ate a scallop!”

8 Lebay { 03.06.12 at 9:00 am }

Hubby said Jillian’s botox gun must have been set to ‘The Joker’.

Glad that Thomas and Carla are still in, gives me someone to hate!

9 Anonymous { 03.06.12 at 10:18 am }

Grrr. As Lebay says, at least there is still someone to hate. God, Carla is annoying too.

10 PollyB { 03.06.12 at 10:19 am }

That’s me at 9.

11 Dunbi { 03.06.12 at 10:22 am }

I gagged when Liz ‘poured’ the onion sauce from her jug. It slithered out in a ghastly glutinous glob.

12 Rosie { 03.06.12 at 12:44 pm }

I have to agree with Lebay as well. Thomas and Carla are not only ghastly people (from what we have seen) but their cooking really is pritty shitty. While I am looking forward to the time (and it will be soon) that they will be sent home, they are meanwhile giving us plenty of entertainment.

13 Reality Raver { 03.06.12 at 12:47 pm }

Apparently Jen’s husband travelled around with Jen when they were goign around Australia and when they were filming in Sydney which I find a tad weird.

14 Reality Raver { 03.06.12 at 12:49 pm }

Dunbi – It was like they could not decide which sauce to use.

15 Izobel2 { 03.06.12 at 1:12 pm }

Can’t wait til KRudd & Dr Evil have to cook to time constraints. Hope they start reading Women’s Weekly Meals in Minutes rather than the 70’s French version.
Entertaining episode, and you are right if T&C left it would be a bit boring.

16 Izobel2 { 03.06.12 at 1:12 pm }

And I LOVE chocolate desserts but there’s no way I would’ve liked all that red salt around my glass! Icing sugar maybe!

17 Andrea { 03.06.12 at 3:22 pm }

Yes I would have preferred Sam and Jillian to stay over Thomas and Carla, at least they are a bit different and entertaining. Sam’s onion sauce made me feel sick too, why do they do weird things like that? I read in New Idea that Leigh and Jennifer don’t even speak to each other any more and Megan and Andy and Simon and Meg were fighting all the time and it caused real stress in their relationships.

18 littlepetal { 03.06.12 at 4:20 pm }

RR – Of course Jen husband travel with her. He has nothing to do.

Talking about the Princess, Carly mentioned in one of the gossip magazines that Princess get special treatment from the judges. They said even if she served crap, the judges still it was great.

Peter (Dr Evil) also explained why he said Carly is worst than Jen. He said he didn’t like the way the 2 sisters said about Jen when Jen already coping heaps from the public. He said after their instant restaurant, Carly told him what they scored their instant restaurant but it was not the truth. After the airing of the show, he knew what the sis scored were and it was lower.

19 brain dead dave { 03.06.12 at 6:37 pm }

Doesn’t surprise me at all that being on reality television shows puts relationships under stress. Alison Braun from Biggest Loser ,her husband committed suicide. Julie Goodwin said her marriage was severely tested by the Ma$terchef experience. Not easy to forget Pops Westren yelling at his wife to “shut up” on TBL. Leigh and Lara Westren split up after TBL. I could go on.

Chasing one’s reality television dream can have some collateral damage but hey, the chance to be in New Idea is a powerful motivation for fame chasers driven by desperation and delusion.

Yes,Calliegirl,that was a little harsh about Jillian. In spite of the make up ,I did find her quite attractive.

20 Calliegirl { 03.06.12 at 6:57 pm }

You have redeemed yourself BDD – what a good boy!! Of course you found her attractive??

21 brain dead dave { 03.06.12 at 7:06 pm }

Well ,she’s not that much older than me and I agree with RR that Liz Egan looked hot last night,too.

Right at this moment,every ounce of hate in me is directed at the low lifes at Ch9 who are not broadcasting the cricket into Adelaide. Still The One my ar$e. Long live ABC radio.

22 JM { 03.06.12 at 8:12 pm }

Just counting down the hours until Evil Thomas is eliminated. An earlier poster (can’t remember their name) coined a fantastic name for him: Cat’s Bum Face. Priceless!

23 Izobel2 { 03.06.12 at 9:19 pm }

I’m with u bdd! I’m checking the www 2c the cricket score. My husband is at the game the lucky duck.

24 Georgie { 03.06.12 at 9:23 pm }

Izobel2 and bdd – believe me it’s not worth checking, Sri Lanka are hammering our bowlers. Again!

25 brain dead dave { 03.06.12 at 11:25 pm }

Manu was on fire tonight.

“Your deesh…eet was a real crud pleaser”
“Shizzy corn”

Some real hygiene issues with Thomas and Carla’s tacky tacos. Thomas is a grub making grub.

Well that’s four out of the last five times Sri Lanka have beaten Aust’s over praised, over paid cricketers. Credit where it’s due.

26 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 6:57 am }

bdd- agree on the hygiene issues with Tom Toe Jam the Podiatrist and his sidekick. I’ve thought on more than one occasion that I wouldn’t want to be eating food they had prepared and last night was one of them.

As for the cricket (and apart from Malinga being a chucker), Sri Lanka are all heart – courageous and hungry. I used to like Michael Clark and how used Ponting’s wisdom and experience to increase his own, but I think he’s just shot himself in the foot.