My Kitchen Rules – Do Pete And Gary Actually Like Anyone?

“It would give me a sense of enjoyment to beat Emily and Carly, as they are a bit over confident, and quite frankly their cooking is not that good.” said Peter and Gary.

Later they said “There is no love lost between us and them.” Do Pete and Gary actually get on with anyone?

Speaking of not good cooking seriously what were Peter and Gary thinking when they decided to do chicken schnitzel with a vegetable kebab for their pop up restaurant? The two pieces just did not go together. Why not do a gourmet chicken schnitzel sandwich? For all their high end talk tonight’s dish was a bit low end.

Also they Peter and Gary are good at talking themselves up to camera but then said they were not able to spruik themselves on the street as apparently that lacked dignity.

Tonight on My Kitchen Rules the challenge was set in Melbourne and the teams had to set up a pop up restaurant to sell some street food. The judges said the people of Melbourne will decide the winner, but it was actually the team that made the most profit who won.

” We’re natural sales people” Megan and Andy drawled thinking this was going to give them the edge in the pop-up restaurant challenge. It was no surprise that it did not. They made Sang Choy Bow with Prawn Skewers, and apparently it was good but not good enough for them to win.

Steve and David with their Mediteranean Club Sandwich had no hope of winning as they priced it at $3.00 and they did not appear to have that many of them.

Steve and Helen took a risk in Greek filled Melbourne and did a Mezze Platter with Lamb Soulvaki. This pair like the New Zealand team work well together there are no dramatics in their prep time.

Speaking of dramatics the show was trying to make some by pretending there could be some cooking disasters with Carly and Emily’s rice for their Green Chicken Curry, and Jen and Leigh pressure cooking their pork for their tortillas. Both worked out fine.

Carly and Emily were criticised by the judges for making a mild green curry, and Jen and Leigh’s pork tortillas though tasting nice collapsed when they were eaten.

Carla and Thomas did beef and bean tacos with guacomale and salsa. Interesting to know if she got the recipe off her new Mexican boyfriend. Also Thomas does get a bit flustered in the kitchen what was he thinking when he put the lids on the saucepan so their taco sauce could reduce? And if Thomas using a fire starter was an intelligence test he would have failed.

Manu and Pete in the end were critical of their sauce as there was not enough flavour nor had it reduced enough.

Nic and Rocco went with sweet and did profitoroles with chocolate and strawberries. However the twist was deep frying the profiteroles. Serving one that was deep fried and one that was baked. Manu and Pete thought the contrast between the two was good.

Angela and Justine cooked Chocolate Chilli Con Carne which sounded a bit foul but the judges liked it.

Simon and Meg cooked Beef noodles with Pesto Coriander and they were criticised for not having enough sauce.

Emily and Carly who had put a high price point on their curry, and Steve and Helen were the top two with Steve and Helen winning the “peoples choice”. It was no surprise that Peter and Gary were told by Manu and Pete they were up for elimination this week.

1 Chunks { 03.07.12 at 12:46 am }

Peter and Gary are living in the past. I suspect that they entertain at home a lot using the same five or six dishes they’ve been making and making well since the mid-Eighties or thereabouts. They probably also haven’t been out to dine anywhere contemporary and don’t have any idea about modern concepts in food preparation and serving. They were living in a bubble in other words, which would explain their over confidence in the face of repeated failures.

The chocolate thing in Mexican food sounds awful until you taste it and realise that it involves the cocoa but not the sugar and vanilla, so it’s bitter rather than sweet and creates a rich dark gravy.

2 bettwettiwoo { 03.07.12 at 1:22 am }

‘Do Pete And Gary Actually Like Anyone?’

Themselves.

3 Marie { 03.07.12 at 1:42 am }

Pretty much sums it up bettwettiwoo! So Peter and Gary effectively cooked chicken nuggets…yet claim to be high class…oh silly me. I mistakenly thought they had awfully tacky tastes from you know, the plasticine on their table in the instant restaurant. And Gary seriously “we made a good dish”??? No, you made a dish that had one okay element!!!

How is chocolate in Mexican (or savoury for that matter) a new or original thing. Sorry, being from the country I assume if I have eaten something and it is in style it must be old hack for the rest of civilization.

I love how the stress of the kitchen reduces the intelligence of the contestants. Like Sam eating that scallop and then realising they might not have enough and Thomas with the firelighter and putting the lids on the pans. It was pretty generous of Manu to step in!

For a second I wondered if Nic and Rocco would be the bottom because they didn’t meet the brief. The challenge was for the ‘lunch crowd’ not ‘make lunch’ so I think catching people who have already eaten a sandwich or whatever or are just getting a coffee wasn’t such a bad idea.

4 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 3:58 am }

I can’t help wondering how much of Pete and Gary’s “high class” fare ends up being thrown to the Schnauzers as a dog’s breakfast.

These guys are living in Fools….- not Surfers Paradise.

5 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 6:21 am }

Last night I was switching between MKR and the cricket. At one stage I was watching Gary in a close up, talking about his chicken, then I flicked over to Ch9 only to be confronted by a shot of Colonel Sanders. I was amazed at their likeness and both selling fried chicken.

Also loved the moment when Nic and Rocco offered Peter and Gary help putting up their shelter. Peter declined and Gary said “is that a threat to your masculinity my dear”. I thought that was a valid clue.

6 smauge { 03.07.12 at 7:30 am }

I’m with you Marie. How many times I have gone to buy lunch and been swayed by something sweet and delicious! I would have gone for Nic and Rocco’s profiteroles for sure!

7 smauge { 03.07.12 at 7:35 am }

Georgie – Pete and Gary crack me up with their little digs at each other. They might not get on with anyone else, but the are well matched together. Wonder how long they’ve been together for? I would guess a long time.

8 PollyB { 03.07.12 at 7:35 am }

I agree Smauge, I would’ve went for the profiteroles. And agree with everyone re Gary & Peter. They really are in fools paradise.
Oh, and the winners. I’m glad Steve and Helen won. They can cook.

9 Isabel { 03.07.12 at 7:38 am }

Thanks Georgie, I missed that comment … that makes Gary the girl then …

10 PollyB { 03.07.12 at 7:41 am }

LMAO Isabel!

11 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 7:49 am }

You’re right smauge, they do seem well suited. They both make critical litte remarks about the food element the other one has made, especially if it was the one that missed the mark. Peter will look down his nose with haughty disdain and Gary will tilt his head with a wry grin – but they never seem to take offense at each other.

12 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 8:04 am }

Isabel – I thought the comment was a good clue given the discussion a couple of weeks ago about this. bdd used the pitcher/catcher analogy at the time, but now I’m thinking he got his characters ‘arse about’ so to speak!

13 littlepetal { 03.07.12 at 8:53 am }

Peter and Gary have been together for 21 years!!!!!! They do get along very well with one another. I don’t think they can cook under pressure and will most probably be eliminated in the sudden death cook off. Who do you think is their greatest rivals where their fight have been personal? They will be cooking against them in the sudden death cook off. My bet is it will be Carla and Emily. Channel 7 is building the tension between these 2 teams.

Thomas didn’t disappoint us last night with his inability to cook. Can’t use the lighter and no one wants to help him. I wonder why he didn’t ask Carla to help him or why Carla just ignored him?

Don’t know how to reduce the sauce and can’t make raspberries coulis the other night. Thomas is a joke and he seriously can’t cook or don’t have basic knowledge about cooking.

14 Lesley { 03.07.12 at 8:54 am }

Peter and Gary had a segment on Better Homes and Garden on Friday last and they come across as a charming couple with a wicked sense of humour. It was reported they have been together for 21 years.

15 RU4Real { 03.07.12 at 9:08 am }

Oh please…………… Peter and Gary can’t cook to save their foofy souls. They see it in Woman Weekly and think “That can’t be too hard” Then they pretend to know what they are doing. Peter can’t even use a knife, let alone put up a $10 tent for crying out loud. Then they say that sprukeing for business is against their legal ethics yet they did it anyway…..where does that leave them leagally??????

16 kleenex mum { 03.07.12 at 9:09 am }

Well last night proved that thomas cant cook to save his life he came across as a temper tamtrum throwing brat, I too would have gone for sweet over savory its really the peoples choice, glad that P and G are in the cook off this week, they really are out off there comfort zone and need to beam back to the 70’s.

17 Izobel2 { 03.07.12 at 9:43 am }

Well I think that Masterchef needs to watch this episode. It shows that you can show all meals being cooked, prepared and displayed, and you didn’t know who was going to win until the last second. Sure beats seeing 6 meals being cooked and then spoonfeeding us 3 top and 3 bottom teams which are so obvious.
I too would’ve eaten Nic & Rocco’s scrumptious dessert.
And it was funny that no-one helped Tom, not even Carla.

18 paulski { 03.07.12 at 9:46 am }

If the tidbit I’ve heard about the cookoff on Thursday means what I think it does (no spoilers for those who don’t know), there should be some serious agro between the two competing teams. It would be a shame to lose one of the ‘alpha teams’ so early but it’ll sure make for good viewing!

19 Stacey { 03.07.12 at 10:09 am }

I honestly agree with Peter and Gary about Carly and Emily. They were annoying the hell out of me and I wasn’t even there. I couldn’t imagine having to cook next to them in a high-pressure situation!

I also saw Peter and Gary on Better Homes and Gardens and they were great. They must be one of the four teams that actually cooked in their own home.

I would’ve liked if theyd made the challenge fairer by making all of the teams sell their food at a standard price, say like 5 dollars. Just because Carly and Emily felt like hiking their prices up doesn’t make their food the best, especially when teams like David and Scott who made an awesome sandwich but only charged them at 3 dollars.
Anyhow, glad to see Steve and Helen win.

20 Calliegirl { 03.07.12 at 10:44 am }

Stacey – I agree, they should have set a price for everyone. That would have been fairer.
BBD – Love the Fools Paradise jibe….

21 kess { 03.07.12 at 11:22 am }

I love Peter & Gary, and will be disappointed if they get dumped.

I think a lot of what appeared to be nastiness in the first round – well it was pure shock at how crap the food is in this contest.
I love watching these 2, and that challenge was almost designed for them to fail.

I am finding the sisters I originally liked quite annoying

Tonight looks like great fun, seems all the ‘kitchen hands’ (ie the partner that can’t cook) are doing the cooking. And Tassie dude is going to have a heartattack.

22 littlepetal { 03.07.12 at 11:25 am }

Agree with you Stacey about selling them at the same price.

paulski-Yes, Thurs episode will be a cracker.

Read gossip magazine that P&G don’t mind Princess. They think Princess is honest with her comment. They or Peter don’t like Carly. Said she is not honest with her comment and said different things to them and others on TV.

Somehow my opinion about P&G have changed. I don’t mind they comments and they were honest. Cooking wise maybe not so good. They won’t cope with pressure as they cook in their own sweet time. Cook a bit, sip wine, have a rest, etc etc. They also will have problems with the show as it is not just about cooking. I think there will be an Amazing Race format soemwhere down the road. Maybe there could be a dancing challenge before cooking.

23 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 12:09 pm }

And CB has gone missing – I hope he’s okay and enjoying a European holiday or something similar. RR have you heard from him or do we need to send the police around to check?

24 kess { 03.07.12 at 12:24 pm }

Oh….forgot about the highlight last night ……the bikes……awesome 7.
They obviously were cooking somewhere up near the markets – because non of them made it very far.

Princess is adorable, and she is so because she is brutally honest about her own shortcomings, and damn she’s funny -” I can’t even walk straight”.
And in any group scene, I’m always watching Princess’s face she’s so expressive.

25 PollyB { 03.07.12 at 12:26 pm }

I thought I saw Fed Square, and Southern Cross station. And maybe city square or some square-ish thing in Collins Street?

26 littlepetal { 03.07.12 at 12:57 pm }

Georgie- I think CB or someone is going away on the Queen Mary!!!!

27 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 1:27 pm }

Thanks littlepetal – I can stop worrying about him now!

28 Cherry Gripe { 03.07.12 at 3:44 pm }

Poor old Thomas and his gas lighter. I think that one actually had an asshole lock, not a child lock.

29 Andrea { 03.07.12 at 3:58 pm }

I agree the judging wasn’t fair if everyone is charging different prices, The profiteroles looked fantastic, I would have loved one! P&G did sound rather haughty but we come to expect it from them and they will be missed if they go. Also thought one of the judges could have helped Thomas with his lighter problem, but it was funny seeing him in such a big flap with mincemeat spilt all over the place! And why would you use a pressure cooker if you’ve never used one before? they should have practised. It doesn’t make sense.

30 sue N { 03.07.12 at 4:32 pm }

I commented last nite that I would have liked the winner to be the one whole sold the most of their meals, with all the prices the same- level playing field. But I do get (sort of) that the contestants got to choose their menu and price- I just wish the army boys had increased their price!!! I think P&G probably deserved to be the bottom, but damn- I wanted it to be ferret face & friend…grrr

31 Andrea { 03.07.12 at 6:56 pm }

Me too Sue N, hopefully ferret and friend will go soon. Also I wonder what happens to all the money raised? Would it go towards costs or donated to charity? A fairer way to do the judging would be to make everyone cook the same thing and get members of the public to try each dish and vote for the best one.

32 SmackEm { 03.07.12 at 8:53 pm }

Peter, u r just an arrogant prick. Got along way to go, first learn how to cut beans then buy a cook book you may learn something. Hope u go home tomorrow.

33 idontknow_lo { 03.07.12 at 9:05 pm }

I hope they could win the sudden death cook off…. not as fun to watch without them…. and Gary is cute…..
I dont think Thomas and Carla can cook at the beginning…. they are struggling through…

34 littlepetal { 03.07.12 at 9:15 pm }

Thomas just can’t cook and have no sense about cooking. Can’t open a can of tomato sauce or a box of cornflour. Can’t even separate wonton skin. Lucky Carla doesn’t have to cook tonight. Her top tonight is just not suitable for cooking or does she know she doesn’t need to cook tonight?

35 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 9:44 pm }

littlepetal – you were spot on about the conflict between Peter and Gary, and Carly and Emily being a set-up to build tension before a cook-off.

36 littlepetal { 03.07.12 at 9:49 pm }

Georgie – I read the gossip magazines!!! No, I won’t pay a cent for those magazines but I read them at Coles. The sisters have the white aprons. Will they be the one to go??? We will know tomorrow. I actually want P&G to stay to listen to they funny jabs at each other. Luckily we still have Thomas and Carla there to entertain us.

37 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 10:13 pm }

True about the entertainment value of the dud cooks P&G and T&C littlepetal. However, I think it would be unfortunate to lose the better cooks at this stage just for the sake of entertainment.