The Biggest Loser – Old Dogs vs Young Pups

Fallout from Selena’s vote kicks the episode off with Hamish saying his goodbyes to Michelle. Shannan and Tiffiny are shocked to find out that Selena voted for Hamish. As Shannan leaves, he interviews “I’ve had enough, it’s game over, I’m out of here” as though he had a choice. Dude, you had no team left! Anyway, that’s been a tortuous opening segment – my recorder is at the 18 minute mark before we get into Hayley’s “welcome to a new week”.

Hayley has a couple of cute labradors with her as she welcomes the contestants – an “old dog” and a “young pup”. Teams are divided according to age:

• Alex, Lisa, Simon, Graham, Lydia
  • Selena, Michelle, Kasey, Margie

Given that the teams are unevenly divided, surely it would have been fairer to put Lydia on the young pups team – they need somebody to offset the drag that is Selena. Michelle is excited to have Margie on board. Hayley advises “just like these dogs, you’re going to have to stay hardworking…” to the footage of the older lab lolling in the grass.

Commando and Michelle will train the old dogs and Simon anticipates a world of pain. Michelle thinks the added maturity will help them defeat the youngsters, who are surely additionally handicapped by having Selena on the group. Tiffiny assigns Margie to Selena as she recognises Margie’s work ethic. While they’re off running stairs, Tiffiny debriefs with Michelle and Kasey regarding Selena’s decision. The group comes back together and Selena, predictably, storms off once she’s had enough. Blah, blah, Selena-coddling ensues.

Contest – Brains, Endurance, Skill

Kasey takes on Lisa in the brains challenge for “the calorie is right”. Just like The Price is Right but ordering food by calorie-value. Given that the chosen team-member is allowed to confer with their team-mates, it’s hardly necessary to have chosen a representative at all. It’s difficult – nay, impossible – to make this challenge at all interesting, but what with ad breaks we are with it for what seems like ages. Eventually the Old Dogs win it.

For the endurance round, Michelle takes on Lydia. Who can do 100 sit-ups fastest? For some reason, the Old Dogs’ win in the previous round means they start off, which seems to be a disadvantage rather than a reward. Lydia gets through her 100 sit-ups in 2’42”. It’s impressive, but it’s not exactly riveting television. This contest was never going to three challenges – we should have been tipped off to that by all the unnecessary follow-up of Hamish’s elimination. Michelle completes the challenge in 4’05” and breaks down in tears.

Simon takes the walk for the Old Dogs. Margie interviews that she’s never trusted Simon and hopes that it won’t be too negative for her. What will happen? Who knows.

1 drb123 { 03.07.12 at 1:20 pm }

This season has been so dull and unappealing. The complaining that has come out of contestants like Hamish and Selina about actually having to work to lose the weight and stay in the house has just put me right off. I am no longer going to watch

2 Fi { 03.07.12 at 1:36 pm }

Margie is turning me off watching this season. She is a nasty piece of work. When is someone in the house going to stand up to her??

3 littlepetal { 03.07.12 at 2:35 pm }

Margie may be hard to stomach but she trains hard. Not like Selina or Hamish who just whinge when the going get tough.

Agree that this series has the worst contestants and the emphasised on love is sickening.

4 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 3:00 pm }

The singles concept has attracted the dregs of humanity,making the dwindling audience the biggest losers in this year’s freak show of fatties.
Even watching just the first half of the show before MKR starts and I’ve had a gutful of these pathetic, plotting porkers.
Margie does train hard,agreed littlepetal. I can even see the feral frump literally getting the chocolates since she’s lording it over the others like a T.Rex.

5 drb123 { 03.07.12 at 3:09 pm }

Margie always strikes me as if she is trying out for a part on a remake of Prisoner

6 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 3:14 pm }

Yeah, she ‘d be a walk up for Bea’s part. Anyone who doesn’t please her gets their head stuck into the ironing press.

7 Andrea { 03.07.12 at 3:40 pm }

I agree, she’d be perfect for that part, she is a scary woman and reminds me of some of the bullies from my schooldays. Why doesn’t she trust Simon, he’s way better than her. I thought she was very rude to Shannon as well.

8 Fi { 03.07.12 at 3:42 pm }

Margie does train hard but I thought it was really poor form for Tiffany to unleash margie on selena. No matter how lazy you are, someone screaming at you isn’t going to motivate you. I was really hoping Selena would turn around and knock her down.

9 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 3:52 pm }

Why doesn’t she trust Simon? He’s male. Same reason she was rude to Shannan.

Who knows how many kids she threatened for the contents of their lunch boxes when she was at school?

Margie braying the bejeezus out of Selena out of “love”?
If you believe that ,Tiff,you’ll believe anything.

10 Kate { 03.07.12 at 6:29 pm }

Wtf bdd? Just because she is gay, she is a man hater? So, by extension, you are a straight male so you are a mysoginist? Get a grip! I certainly agree she is milking the tv exposure for all it’s worth and is a bully, but not all of us lovely lesbos are man hating dykes!

11 Andrea { 03.07.12 at 6:44 pm }

Thanks for clearing that up BDD.

12 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 7:08 pm }

Drawing a bit of a long bow there, Kate. The extension you’ve provided me is puzzling because you ought to be saying if I were a gay male , I’d hate women.
The comments I made were about Margie as an individual and you’ve chosen to make it a universal slur against lesbians. I don’t hold the opinion that all lesbians are man hating dykes, nor will you find examples of this in blogs I’ve written.
Oh, and I can spell “misogynist”,too. So get off my back and go listen to a K.D. Laing CD.

13 Hegwah { 03.07.12 at 7:31 pm }

I can spell misogynist too. Can you spell K.D. Lang, smartarse ?

14 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 7:34 pm }

Should I be able to? I’m not very familiar with his work.

You’ve a constant craving for triviality ,it would seem.

15 HungryHippo { 03.07.12 at 7:35 pm }

Kate, no offence but not all lesbos are lovely just like there some are horrible hetros. Margie is proof of that.
BDD is spot on, she’s a bully

16 Kate { 03.07.12 at 7:38 pm }

Don’t get me wrong, I think she is a nasty piece of work. And there are some very very nutty dykes out there

‘Why doesn’t she trust Simon? He’s male. Same reason she was rude to Shannan.’

17 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 8:28 pm }

What does hegwah spell?

18 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 8:30 pm }

It’s near enough to “hogwash”

19 Hegwah { 03.07.12 at 8:40 pm }

Hegwah spells correctly.

20 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 8:45 pm }

I’ve never seen correctly spelt that way before, what language is it?

21 Hegwah { 03.07.12 at 8:49 pm }

Same language you speak Georgie. Gibberish.

22 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 8:53 pm }

Oh, so hegwah is gibberish – now you’re starting to make sense.

23 Hegwah { 03.07.12 at 8:55 pm }

Time to get off the roundabout Georgie. I’m getting dizzy going round in circles.

24 Georgie { 03.07.12 at 9:04 pm }

Bye-bye correctly.

25 brain dead dave { 03.07.12 at 9:17 pm }

You listen to Bob Francis, Heggie?

It’s all starting to make sense now.

26 Humphrey { 03.07.12 at 10:12 pm }

RR – maybe you could change the name of your blog to Illegal Suburban Dogfight.