My Kitchen Rules – What Sort Of Strategy Would You Play?

The My Kitchen Rules contestants were on the road last night going to Ingham to produce sweet treats to reflect the local sugar industry. It was the usual scenario where the public got to vote for the best team, and they would win immunity, and the person with the worst dish as judged by Manu and Pete would be up for elimination.

Now as a contestants should you go for the public vote which relies on getting out a lot of dishes and trying to please the local palates? As the public never get to taste all the dishes.  Or do you just knock out a more complicated tasty dish that will please the judges?

Angela and Justine went for the popular vote which looked like they were aiming it at the kids, with their Banana Lounge Cake which was decorated with lollies. Also Angela took the sugar brief very seriously and thought it was about adding as much sugar as possible, making a very sweet icing.

There were the usual dramas in the very short prep time of 90 minutes and also the vagaries of working with ovens outdoors, biscuits were burnt, crepes stuck, and pans dropped.

Also they had the added impediment of the hot humid tropical weather, something Thomas and Rocco said they struggled with. Also Andy appeared to be sweating a lot he really needed some ninja type head gear as there was a lot sweat going into those crepes. Maybe this was why they were said not to be sweet enough.

Carly and Emily made Choc Honeycomb Cheesecake Cones they were impressive as they made their own cones and their own honeycomb. The judges said it was unusual but Pete and Manu liked it.

Steve and Helen did a fruit scroll which was more like a baklava. Helen was having issues with the filo, and Manu thought it was not  the right dessert to do on a hot day, also Pete thought it was too heavy. Not sure how they met the sugar brief considering most of the sweetness would have come from the dried fruit, maybe the dipping it in sugar syrup got them over the line.

Thomas and Carla made Dark Chocolate Cupcakes which were said to be fantastic by the judges, and they must have gone close to winning the public vote. Maybe they are starting to find their feet in the competition.

Banana Lounge Cake was made by Justine and Angela, and quite frankly I think they should be up for elimination. Angela seemed to mis-interpret the challenge as get as much sugar as you can in the dish. Their icing was way too sweet and grainy, compounded by the fact there were lollies on top as decoration. Even the kids thought it was not great. Manu thought the presentation was OK, but Pete thought it was awful.

Jen and Leigh did a  Ginger Wafer with white chocolate cream. I would like to know how many they actually ended up plating up as they were struggling at one point with burning and dropping them. They were criticised for presentation but the judges thought the flavour was fantastic.

Scott and David made Banana Tartlet the pastry was perfect and Manu thought they had met the brief. Also they had they were acclimatised to the climate so no sweat dripping in there food. They also had the local’s support so they were always going to do well.

Meg and Simon made White Chocolate Caramel Mud Cake  and the cakes were sticking in the pan. This was the first time I have seen this pair flustered. Manu thought it was big but very light, so they did not have to worry about being up for elimination.

Nic and Rocco made Tropical fruits and Custard tarts and they looked amazing. The only criticism was the pastry was too thick, however Manu thought when he took a bite he was back in Paris.

Megan and Andy made Tropical Fruit Crepes and they were struggling cooking decent crepes, Manu wondered where the sugar was in the dish.Also they were criticised for cooking the fruit all the way through. However they were confident they would get through or some would say delusional. They were told it was not bad but the least impressive and they were up for elimination.

Personally I think Angela and Justine should have been there. All they stumped up were second rate badly decorated cup cakes.

David and Scott won peoples choice I suspect helped because they were local as well as making a cracker dish. The prize as well as immunity was winning a tropical North Queensland holiday. I am sure they were thrilled…hope for their sake Townsville is not on the itinerary. They also got to take another team with them which meant that team would also be safe from the next elimination. They picked Nic and Rocco. Well they had to really their wives would not have been too thrilled if they had picked an all girl team to go on an overnight trip with.

Meg and Simon thought this was bad strategy and that they should have left the stronger teams in to give them a greater chance of being put up for elimination. Good point, but David and Scott just seem to play a straight bat and don’t get into the game strategy.

1 Maz { 03.12.12 at 10:17 am }

Why did Pete need to dress like a hick with the flannel. It comes across as patronisng whenever they venture into a ‘regional’ area that the presenters need to dress in costume (so to speak).

2 Reality Raver { 03.12.12 at 10:17 am }

TV judges are like politicians they dress for the country when they are i the country…..

3 Georgie { 03.12.12 at 10:23 am }

Not sure about Ch7 programming in the rest of the country, but in our viewing area last night, ‘Sunday Night’ preceeded MKR . Ironically or maybe intentionally, there was quite an extensive report on the evils of sugar in our diets, presented by Peter Fitzsimmons, who is battling the weight.

Next thing MKR starts and goes straight to sugar!

4 PollyB { 03.12.12 at 10:34 am }

I’m glad the boys won. I really like them. I think the right team is in elimination, they made a pretty basic dish and not much sugar. The Nzer’s are starting to get to me.

5 Q { 03.12.12 at 10:34 am }

I think david/scott picking nick/rocco is pretty good strategy in terms of asking a lot of food questions from one of the stronger teams; that and not pissing off their wives

6 Cheryl { 03.12.12 at 10:36 am }

My Qlder husband said they were onto a winner the minute he saw the bottle of Bundy rum on the bench. I agree that there were other reasons than strategy for David and Scott to take Nick and Rocco on the reward – one of them even said they plan to spend the whole time pumping Nick and Rocco for cooking ideas. I also think they probably have more in common between the 4 guys than with the other teams, if they had taken 2 girls their wives would have been a bit dirty, if they had taken a couple they would have felt like 3rd wheels so the only real options were Steve and Helen or Nick and Rocco because we all KNOW that Carla loves Thomas (although God knows why).

7 nanaliz { 03.12.12 at 11:29 am }

Ingham has the Italian Festival in May and a smaller fest in October. I think it may have been filmed in Oct going on weather. I was so pleased d&s won. A few things probably helped:
1. ‘Local’ boys
2. The army did a great job for us all after the cyclone last year and that would give them points.
3. Sugar and bananas are the basis of most employment up here. Clever stratergy boys.
4. Continuing to make tarts up to last kept their dish in voters minds..
5. Generally nice guys who can cook.

Does Thomas realize how ugly he looks when pulling those faces. Can’t stand him but good value for a laugh at his expense.

8 littlepetal { 03.12.12 at 12:07 pm }

Andy and Megan crepes were not exciting at all. Very boring.

9 Georgie { 03.12.12 at 12:14 pm }

At one point, Megan had a huge knife in her hand and she turned to have a go at Andy for hassling her. For a moment there I thought we were going to see bloodshed!

10 sue N { 03.12.12 at 12:29 pm }

Nanaliz- you are spot on with all your points! :)

especially the rider about Thomas!!! Cannot stand his stupid smirk- grrr

11 Rosie { 03.12.12 at 12:47 pm }

Georgie, I also noticed the story about sugar being such bad stuff (which it is, really) on Sunday Night, immediately followed by sugar being the main event on MKR. Made me giggle a bit.

And am I really nasty for being disappointed Thomas and Carla did so well? I am just so over them. At least they didn’t win.

Might be a bit of a busman’s holiday for David and Scott, but I am still glad they won. They seem like such decent blokes. Not brilliant cooks, but are playing “a straight bat”. Was good to see them take the other boys’ team on the holiday.

12 Marie { 03.12.12 at 1:00 pm }

I was pretty confident that David and Scott were going to win as soon as we got the ‘oh no! pastry in this kind of weather???’ comments for them and not really for Nic and Rocco who were also making pastry giving the army boys that kind of risk -> triumph format in the editing. Their dish was very clever and looked fantastic!

Okay, the thing that has started to get on my nerves is Meg constantly reminding everyone that they are from NZ and making out like it is some huge disadvantage/advantage depending on the situation.

I was pretty convinced Angela and Justine would be up for elimination. I guess the judges both had something nice to say (good cake and fun presentation) while they both thought Megan and Andy’s was a bit bland and didn’t really have a whole lot of positives to counter it with.

The dish that Steve and Helen made looked like something I would love! I wanted to taste it most of all the dishes. Actually everyone did really well with this challenge overall! Then again, Nic and Rocco could serve dog food and I would probably happily try it. Shallow? Yes, utterly and completely!

Thomas on the other hand, reminds me of a petulant 4 year old with the faces that he pulls.

13 Marie { 03.12.12 at 1:01 pm }

Rosie – I was disappointed that Thomas and Carla did well too and could only acknowledge how good their cupcakes looked begrudgingly!

14 Reality Raver { 03.12.12 at 1:09 pm }

Marie – I suspect Meg and Simon are told to amp up the trans-tasman rivalry.

15 Marie { 03.12.12 at 1:20 pm }

That’s true RR. In hindsight they are probably asked questions like ‘do you think you have an advantage/disadvantage here being from NZ?’ or ‘how will being from NZ affect…?’ when being interviewed for their reactions.

16 Dunbi { 03.12.12 at 1:23 pm }

For one awful moment I thought Thomas and Carla had won!

17 Lebay { 03.12.12 at 1:27 pm }

Sometimes I think programmers try to slip these things through ie the Sunday Night sugar poison then MKR sugar challenge.

Ch9 screened the movie Down Periscope directly after the Steve Irwin memorial… Down Periscope is all about the crew of a submarine called the Stingray!

18 sue N { 03.12.12 at 1:33 pm }

we can live in hope that ferret face and friend stuff up tonite, and are up for elimination- as a completely bad sport re these 2 ;-), I have my fingers and toes crossed that they bomb in the next challenge!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

19 Andrea { 03.12.12 at 3:29 pm }

Yeah I couldn’t get over how good those cupcakes looked, damm that Thomas and Carla, they did a good job! Georgie, I thought the same thing about the sugar story on ” Sunday Night”. It was a pretty big coincidence wasn’t it? I knew David and Scott would win as Queenslanders will always vote for Queenslanders, it stands to reason.

20 littlepetal { 03.12.12 at 3:40 pm }

With Thomas and Carla, if Carla is in charge they will do better. When Thomas is in charge, it will be train wreck. Yeah, I was so afraid that they could have won the people’s choice!!!! Could you imagine what Thomas will say???

I enjoyed watching last night episode as I made the Gateau Opera and was enjoying eat the cake and watching the show!!!!!

21 brain dead dave { 03.12.12 at 4:08 pm }

Carla and Thomas were like two dogs having their day.

The producers probably show Simon and Meg a replay of the “underarm” incident just before asking them about their Aust v NZ sentiments.

22 kess { 03.12.12 at 5:36 pm }

Ha, ha – did you see those women jumping on Manu when they opened the gates?
Love watching Princess she gets all excited about everything like a kid.

So – technically in these challenges you could just make 1 item perfectly for the judges and you would be safe. Don’t bother stressing and making a pile for crowds, just cook one perfect thing.
Can’t stand the WA women.

23 Fraggle { 03.12.12 at 11:54 pm }

I saw Thomas and Carla, and Andrew and (can’t remember the fiance’s name) all eating dinner together on Friday night in Melbourne. It looked like they were having a great time and lots of laughs. Clearly no rifts between these guys

24 lainey { 03.13.12 at 6:51 pm }

Yeah Thomas & Carla did ok but what they actually made was by far the most simplest and if they had stuffed it up.. jeez! Cupcakes are EASY! No technique at all.