My Kitchen Rules: Thomas Was Interviewed In TV WEEK And He Would Do It All Again

Thomas from My Kitchen Rules was eliminated tonight (see blog post on the episode here) and at the time he appeared to have defeatist attitude, but he tells TV WEEK he would do it all again. He also talks about being cast as one of the show villains.

Here is the interview from TV WEEK:

When you were filming the show, did you ever think the way you played the game would cause such uproar from fans?

When Carla and I made the decision to vote strategically, we would have been very naive to think there wouldn’t be backlash. When we made that decision, we had to accept that, unfortunately, we were going to get a bit of slack for it.

When did you make the plan to be strategic? Was it before the show had even begun filming?

We absolutely hadn’t planned to be strategic prior to Emma and Andrew’s restaurant. We gave fair scores – it was just that when we were at their restaurant, things weren’t going too well for them, and we saw it as an opportunity to stay in the competition. And Like everyone else at that table, we had all resigned from our jobs – we put our lives on hold and travelled halfway around the country, and we just filmed two months’ worth of restaurants. We thought, “Look, we will cop flak for it, and it’s probably not the best decision, but we’ve done too much to leave now.” Carla and I felt we didn’t  really have the opportunity to showcase our skills and we wanted to be given that chance.

So you didn’t think you were able to show your potential in the instant restaurant rounds?

No, not at all.

In what way? Because of the pressure?

I don’t want to say anything…no comment. I’m going to leave that alone.

Hs it been difficult seeing people make personal comments about you?

I think anyone would be hurt by the negative things people say. It’s very hard going through life and not being affected by that negative feedback.

How have you dealt with it?

It really helped having some supportive contestants around us. Helen from NSW was great – she calls Carla and I every couple of days and talks us through it to make sure we’re OK. She’s been a huge support.

Have you been worried about being recognised on the streets?

No, not at all. I’m living a normal life, working nine to five as a podiatrist, and just trying to keep a low profile at the moment.

Do you think the show has been edited to make you look worse than you really are?

At the end of the day, it’s a television show and the editors and the producers have done a really good job cutting and pasting it together to make an enthralling series. I’m not one of those people that’s going to start whingeing and complaining. It’s good entertainment.

How does it sit with you having a villain tag?

It’s fine. I mean, someone has to have it. At the end of the day, all the other contestants, as well as our family and friends, know what are really like as people.

Has it been hard to accept people pointing the finger at you, especially when other contestants were playing the game as well?

The show is about character development, and I there has to be the villains, the heroes and the neutrals. You need all of those characters to make a good show. I really compare it to Home And Away or The Bold and The Beautiful – there is so much drama. Someone had to be a villain. Am I disappointed it’s me? Hmm, not really – I’m not fazed.

How has Carla reacted to the backlash from fans of the show? We’ve heard she isn’t tuning in to watch it…

She doesn’t watch the show. Oh, she started watching the show for the first time last week. She was only going to watch it from the positive section onwards. She’s not that interested, really. I think she probably found it a bit hard, like I did as weel. It’s just not her reality, so she really isn’t interested.

Would you do reality TV again?

I would absolutely do it all again. It has been such an amazing opportunity. Yes, the hours were long, and it’s demanding, but I got to travel around Australia and meet some amazing friends and chefs. The whole experience has been invaluable. I’m open to anything, maybe even Dancing With The Stars.

1 Maz { 03.13.12 at 10:07 pm }

Don’t think keeping a low profile and pitching for a place of DWTS as being compatible.

2 brain dead dave { 03.13.12 at 10:11 pm }

You can’t cook, Thomas, so you’re ready for Ma$terchef and not DWTS.

3 littlepetal { 03.13.12 at 10:11 pm }

Oh no, not Dancing With the Stars!!!!! Thomas get hold of yourself. You are not a star!!!!! not even a cook!!!!!

4 Reality Raver { 03.13.12 at 10:13 pm }

He seemed a bit confused. He said he was unfazed about being the villain, but also said Helen had been a great support and also implied he had found it a bit hard.

5 littlepetal { 03.13.12 at 10:17 pm }

RR- what do you expect from Thomas? He doesn’t face up to reality. Remember in the last challenge he was very arrogant to say that his cakes were not burnt!!. Like only you silly people think it was burnt.

6 JaneyT { 03.13.12 at 10:22 pm }

You are a TOOL. Just don’t plan beyond that – you are useless.

7 Marie { 03.14.12 at 12:09 am }

“When we made that decision, we had to accept that, unfortunately, we were going to get a bit of slack for it.”

Ha! Unfortunately!? More like deservedly!

“Like everyone else at that table, we had all resigned from our jobs – we put our lives on hold and travelled halfway around the country, and we just filmed two months’ worth of restaurants”

Which is exactly why you should have shown some respect to your competitors and played fair you selfish, lowlife git.

“It’s very hard going through life and not being affected by that negative feedback.”

It must be pretty hard sacrificing your job to go a competition with other ADULTS and expecting a level of maturity only to find it infiltrated manipulative little cheats.

“Someone had to be a villain. Am I disappointed it’s me? Hmm, not really – I’m not fazed.”

Someone has to be the villain yes, and strategically voting against these so called friends sets you up for it unsurprisingly. You cannot claim that the villain persona was randomly and unjustifiably assigned. As for not fazed you have kind of undercut that notion earlier in the interview.

Helen calling them to check up is so sweet though! She and Steve are growing on me more and more.

8 Mia { 03.14.12 at 9:03 am }

“I’m not one of those people that’s going to start whingeing and complaining.”

Start? Dude, you never STOPPED whinging and complaining on the show!

9 Cookie { 03.14.12 at 11:53 am }

When you read this stuff, it’s a wonder that ANYONE puts their hands up to go on shows like this! The chances of success are low. The chances of public humiliation are high

10 kess { 03.14.12 at 2:43 pm }

Oh, don’t hammer T & C too much, we absolutely need funny fools like this for this format, they have provided plenty of comedy gold.

You need deluded souls for RTV, and most of the rest of them are almost as deluded – I mean the stuff they are serving up is in general crap, or at best the same as we are serving our families watching this. Winning with 7s and 6s – the food ‘aint great.

His next gig should be on 9s Big Brother, he would be perfect as an annoyance, and he could cook them poisonous crap to top it all off.
Check out their interview on Sunrise, they are fun in that exit interview.

11 Jruth { 03.14.12 at 7:42 pm }

Funny that he didn’t want to comment on why they supposedly didn’t get to show their true potential in their instant restaurant. Wonder why?

12 Reality Raver { 03.14.12 at 8:48 pm }

Jruth – Maybe it has to do with that their menus are fiddled with. Apparently they submit three menus and the producers pick what they are going to cook and they don’t get told what it is until the night before.

13 Marie { 03.15.12 at 9:27 am }

That is a bit of a circular argument kess, don’t hammer them too much because we need them there for good tv. What is the fun in having them there for good tv if we don’t then hammer them?