My Kitchen Rules Turns Into The Amazing Race

Were David and Scott told to pick  Nic and Rocco for the holiday prize so they could get gratuitous shots of their chests when they were snorkeling? For once I approve of producer interference in a reality TV show. Also if you need to see more footage apparently there is some on the official website!

It was The Amazing Race meets My Kitchen Rules, and like any good episode of Amazing Race it involved difficult vehicles to drive, dodgy maps and flaring tempers. The challenge was to drive from the bottom of the Atherton Tablelands to Port Douglas and the first three teams to reach the campsite would make the main course for the campers, and the last three teams dessert.

Also the teams could only get ingredients at markets and honesty boxes on the way, which made meal planning difficult for them. However the question has to be asked which stall did Carly and Emily get their bottle of Bundy Rum from?

As most teams appeared to want to cook mains they were all desperate to get in the top three and that is where the tension started.

Carla and Thomas got lost and tempers were flaring as there was an argument about who had forgotten the eggs. Thomas is never going to get a girlfriend as he talks to Carla terribly.

Also Justine and Angela were at the counter at one stop and kept on handing ingredients to each other ensuring no one else could get served. Simon flipped and said “If you have not finished shopping get off the counter”.

Though nothing could top Jennifer yelling at a sound guy to “Move out of my way now!” Quickly followed by her partner in crime Leigh banging into Justine’s car as they made a quick get away.

Simon and Meg were first to arrive, followed closely by Justine and Angela and Jennifer and Leigh. Thomas and Carla arrived last, it would have been interesting to know just how far behind the others they were.

The prep area was less then ideal with a lot of the tables on a slant as well as small camp ovens and BBQ’s. In fact I still can’t work out how Jennifer and Leigh got all their beef cooked.

Simon and Meg made Avocado, Prawn and Scallop Salad, and you had to feel sorry for Meg who must have thought she was in the twilight zone when she turned her back for a couple of minutes then turned around and her dressing jug had disappeared. It had slid off the table but she wasn’t to know that.

The judges said the dish was perfect for this weather but queried whether it was a main or an entree.

Jen and Leigh made Beef Fillet with Papaya and Wing Bean Salad. They were in all sorts of bother the mandolin wasn’t working properly so they were having to chop the papaya by hand, also the bowl of wing beans fell of the table on to the dirt. Jen said she was going to use them anyway and just give them a wash. However I noted on the dishes served up that there did not look like there were any on there.

The judges said the beef was cooked to perfection but had not been rested long enough, and the dish was not finished. The girls did not have time to get the peanuts and shallots on the plate.

Justine and Angela made Asian Prawns and Coconut Mussels with a Rice and Herb Salad. Angela is bossy but Justine just ignores her. Angela told her to take the prawns off but Justine kept on cooking them. Big mistake as the judges thought the prawns were overcooked however the mussels were perfect.

Steve and Helen are making Blueberry Mahalabia, a poor mans custard, and this was a savvy pick as the judges thought it was perfect for this type of weather. Also even though there were a few elements on the plate it did not appear to be as much of a prep nightmare as the other dishes.

Thomas and Carla made a Peach and Raspberry Streusel. They ended up burning the bottom of the cake, and Manu queried whether the peaches they used had been ripe as they tasted too acidic.

Carly and Emily are making Passionfruit Tartlet with Drunken Pineapple. The aforementioned bottle of rum was used for the pineapple but Pete thought it was little bit bland, but they have done a fantastic job on the tart.

Even though they were trying to create tension on who would be going into the elimination. It was no surprise that it was Thomas and Carla as it was easily the worst dish of the day. It looked like Thomas was completely disheartened and about to give up.

1 Jason { 03.13.12 at 12:41 pm }

Yes, loving the gratuitous shots of bare chested Rocco…
I agree that Thomas “will never get a girlfriend” – but it has nothing to do with the way he speaks to Carla

2 kleenex mum { 03.13.12 at 12:46 pm }

how bloody stupid….. I thought this is ment to be a cooking show, well done to the producers to encourange dangerous driving, speeding and near misses shows real responceability. Again Thomas shined with his comment of HAVING TO COOK 5 STAR MEALS IN THESE CONDITIONS, Thomas has so far not even come close to producing any thing near 5 star…. shows his ignornace is still alive.

3 Jruth { 03.13.12 at 12:48 pm }

Thomas just does not take criticism well. He even disputed Manu’s comment that the bottom of the “cakes” were burnt! Hope we’re in for some fun in the elimination tonight!

4 Calliegirl { 03.13.12 at 1:00 pm }

How does Carla ever put up with Thomas. Standing there washing his hands over his face when they lost – so immature, so weird, so unusual, soooooooo…..Hope their time’s up tonight, but if they go, who will we rail against?

5 donae { 03.13.12 at 1:03 pm }

Mahalabia or in english blamange or ‘shape’, pretty boring but with lots
of yummy berries it was definitely the right thing to make. A very clever choice.

6 kleenex mum { 03.13.12 at 1:09 pm }

jason reading between the lines, i guess Thomas would get on really well with peter and gary………..

7 Andrea { 03.13.12 at 1:11 pm }

I agree, it was funny listening to Thomas saying his cake wasn’t burnt underneath when it obviously was. Tonight should be a good show watching him having a total meltdown! I missed the first half of the show, wish I’d seen it, sounded good!

8 nanaliz { 03.13.12 at 1:23 pm }

Filming done on 1st Nov according to port Douglas tourism, just in the middle of our build up to the wet and it was hotter than normal last year. Thomas is good value with his delusions and temper but NZer’s are really making me want to throw things at them. Thomas was heading back towards Cairns at one stage which made me giggle. Loved the look of Steve and Helen’s desert. Leigh had her sour look happening last night. I wonder if her and the princess had started their falling out?

9 kess { 03.13.12 at 1:31 pm }

Oooo is there a Leigh & Princess falling out?
They really don’t fit well, L is such a sourpuss and Princess is such fun.

10 Mia { 03.13.12 at 1:36 pm }

I have no problem with the producers having the army boys ‘pick’ Nic and Rocco to join them in scenic, chest baring adventures.

I hope Channel 7 give Nic and Rocco their own spin-off cooking/travel show. No.1 stipulation in their contract being ‘no shirts’!

11 nanaliz { 03.13.12 at 1:46 pm }

Yeah , according to New Idea a couple of weeks ago. I believe they no longer associate. I think there was also trouble in sunny Tasmania with Megan and Andy.

12 paulski { 03.13.12 at 1:55 pm }

I thought Leigh & Jen dodged a bullet last night and it was only the incompetence we naturally expect from T&C that saved them from the cookoff.

Not sure who I’m putting my money on tonight, but perhaps Andy’s superior cooking ability will get the Tassies through.

13 Cookie { 03.13.12 at 2:20 pm }

Do you think they made it a really tough challenge to ensure that the Tropical Queensland Holiday seemed even more appealing?

I really wanted Justine to ram her motor home up Leigh and Jen’s ass! Sigh…dissapointment

14 PollyB { 03.13.12 at 3:02 pm }

Agreeing with comments above –
Thomas is a delusional douche
I could throw something at the NZers too
I’m liking Princess. Leigh IS a sourpuss and I would’ve rammed her
Reading between the lines too, kleenexmum
I’m looking forward to tonight, expecting fireworks in both kitchens. At least Tassie’s are firey, T&C are just spoilt brats.
And Masterchef Professionals is back on Foxtel, woohoo.

15 littlepetal { 03.13.12 at 5:15 pm }

Can’t believe too much with those stories in the gossip magazines. They may have some disagreements but the magazines will say they have a fight!!! Just the week before I also saw some photos of Megan, Meg and Emma in wedding gowns and they were all planning their wedding and then the following week in another magazine Megan and Andy were having trouble.

16 littlepetal { 03.13.12 at 5:45 pm }

Did you see Princess gave Manu a bear hug? I actually love to watch Princess. She is funny. Simon and Meg is testing my patience. I am just about to put them in the ‘Don’t Like’ box

17 brain dead dave { 03.13.12 at 6:13 pm }

Thomas is in a bad place if he can’t acknowledge that his cake was burnt. Then again that’s to be expected when he wouldn’t know if his ar$e was on fire.

18 Calliegirl { 03.13.12 at 6:25 pm }

Welcome back bdd! You seem to have been missing for a few days. You haven’t lost it – love your comment about TomTom!

19 brain dead dave { 03.13.12 at 6:42 pm }

Believe it or not, Calliegirl there’s a lot happening in Adelaide in mad March….man can’t live on reality television alone. Public holiday here yesterday, too.

20 Andrea { 03.13.12 at 7:14 pm }

Yeah, you’ve been missed BDD. Where’s your mate CB?

21 brain dead dave { 03.13.12 at 7:35 pm }

a/ he’s on holidays
b/ he’s hooked up with Ajay
c/ discovered blogging by the boss

22 Andrea { 03.13.12 at 7:42 pm }

Lets hope he’s with Ajay, that was always his dream! Your other new best friend Cindy has gone quiet too! Looking forward to MKR tonight!

23 Reality Raver { 03.13.12 at 7:47 pm }

Well if CB has hooked up with Ajay let us hope he gives us a full report or even a sex tape.

24 littlepetal { 03.13.12 at 7:55 pm }

Yes, where is CB? I must apologise for saying he is on holidays to Gerogie. I think I got him mix up with someone else.

25 JaneyT { 03.13.12 at 9:23 pm }

This show is descending into farce at a rapid rate. I’m a bit behind in my viewing as I’ve been away for a long weekend, but watching Sun to Tues shows (sugar showdown, campervan challenge & now the ejection) I just can’t believe it.

Thomas : “my biggest concern today is that i have grossly overcommitted myself”. OK Thomas – your biggest concern really should be that you are a crybaby that can’t cook. You are a tool. I haven’t finished watching tonights show but God I hope you leave. You are a tool. Useless. No – you are worse than useless.

But perhaps even worse than Thomas is the wardrobe.

What the hell has Manu been wearing ? The bilious Willy Wonka purple that keeps making a repeat appearance has been replaced this week by a hideous blue silk ? shirt – dreadful. I can only imagine the tacky malay girlfriend has taken over, his wardrobe is so far short of Pete’s it’s ridiculous. Lose the g.f. – or at least ignore her advice, please. You are ruining your career. Bad enough you are the “face” of cheap Myer brand Coast. Don’t make it worse. You are so much better than this.

But EVEN WORSE – two amazing female judges. Accomplished. Beautiful. In the tropical heat, with HAIR EXTENSIONS AND SMOKEY EYE MAKEUP.

Really – I didn’t expect shorts and thongs, I really didn’t. But what are you thinking !?!?!?!

Season One of this show was so perfect. What a shame Ch 7 are so determined to turn it into MasterChef.

I’m not watching from here – it’s just too sad.

26 brain dead dave { 03.13.12 at 9:28 pm }

Manu to Thomas and Carla:

“Eet was grat to zee you here tonight, farting so hard”

27 sonia { 03.13.12 at 9:32 pm }

I’m still worrying about the wing beans. Did they serve them or not??? I’ve read on other forums that, so what, they fell on the ground, carrots come out of the ground. But it is a public park where dogs piss and shit. And people track stuff in on their shoes etc.

Also, if you saw the segment on the people with brain damage from eating slugs, where they said casually that slug slime could also carry the rat-liver fluke ARGH! Did anyone pay attention? I find I vague out and come to and miss chunks. It’s a bit less captivating now they’re out of the homes’ rounds.