My Kitchen Rules – Strategic Voting By The Other Teams?

No big surprise that the VIP guests the My Kitchen Rules contestants were cooking for were family and friends, but props has to go to Steve for giving Masterchef Australia a tickle up and suggesting they could be cooking for the Dalai Lama.

Tonight the challenge was to cook a seafood platter to present in a banquet style setting. The peoples choice was not the family and friends voting, but for the other contestants to choose which dish they liked the best.

Well that was the theory but clearly there was strategy behind the voting but more on that at the end of the post.

After the teams went to Coles to get their fresh seafood the were back at the MKR kitchen given 90 minutes to get their food on the plate.

I thought Jen was fluent in english however clearly there are some gaps as she said she had borrowed Steve and Helen’s oven, and Steve implied this was not the case that they had just commandeered it. She needed two ovens as she was making Tratator encrusted whole salmon. Which involved a tahini crust, this is the first recipe I would cook at home this season. Pete thought it was the best dish out of everyone’s, “beautiful to look at and even more amazing to eat”.

Scott and David cooked a Basil and Parmasen Crusted Salmon with Kipler Potato Salad With a Beurre Blanc Sauce. What is it with their oven issues they were cooking it at 225 degrees, and they ended up overcooking it. However they got away with it because the beurre blanc sauce was perfect, in fact Manu gave it the ultimate accolade saying he could not make better himself. These boys are really starting to find their feet.

Megan and Andy cooked a Warm Ocean Trout Nicoise Salad. However Andy butchered his fish and left a a lot of it on the bone. Andy started disassembling when Manu came to talk to him about it and he said he was going to use it for stock… What stock?

Manu gave him  a tickle up about him stuffing up the filleting, but did say it was all cooked to perfection. I was surprised he did not ask him what had happened to the stock.

Helen and Steve did a Sweet and Spicy Barramundi both fried and baked. They were told presentation was poor the platter was overcrowded and it did look sloppy with the asian vegetables looking overcooked but the flavours were good.

Meg and Simon made Stuffed Baby Squid with Cous Cous. Pete thought the quantities were out on their cous cous salad, and Manu did not like the texture of the stuffing in the squid. I noticed Meg’s kids were there but Simon’s were not.

Angela and Justine making Barramundi with salsa, and mussel with parmasen crust. Pete said the two dishes did not go well together, and the parmasen over powered the mussels.

Nic and Rocco making Ocean Trout Cartoccio served with a salad. The judges said the salad and vegetables did not go with the fish.

Carly and Emily cooked a Japanese Seafood Platter, they had never made Japanese before and they pulled it off. They were glad their’s looked different from the others probably because there were no vegetables on it.

And then it came to the voting, and Megan and Andy, and Steve and Helen tied. Did teams vote for Megan and Andy because they know they won’t win, and were Steve and Helen voted for because their dish looked so bad the others thought no one else would vote for it?

Anyway the judges picked the winner and it was Megan and Andy. My theory was confirmed when Andy said they had not expected to win one of the people choice prizes, and the camera panned to the other teams looking a tad sheepish.

1 nanaliz { 03.15.12 at 1:49 pm }

Dullest show so far except for giggle at seeing Leighs partner in his Royal blue suit and Justin Bieber haircut. Little man syndrome i suspect. …apoligies to good guys who happen to be vertically challenged. Emily and Carlys platter looked my kind of platter.

2 kleenex mum { 03.15.12 at 1:55 pm }

I applaud steve and helens coment about judging for the food not for stratergy, i enjoy these two they are down too earth honest folk, who can cook,I will be glad to see darl and darling gone,

3 kleenex mum { 03.15.12 at 1:55 pm }

4 kleenex mum { 03.15.12 at 1:56 pm }

I applaud steve and helens coment about judging for the food not for stratergy, i enjoy these two they are down too earth honest folk, who can cook,I will be glad to see darl and darling gone.

5 anonymice { 03.15.12 at 2:13 pm }

k kleenek mum… we get the point….LOL :;-)

6 Fides { 03.15.12 at 2:15 pm }

I thought Justine and whatsie would win as their dish was pretty ordinary, and I think they’re one of the least impressive teams all round. No way would it ever go to Carly and Emily though…I just want one time for their big risk to fail miserably; I find I don’t warm to them at all as everything they do seems so calculated. I know they’re playing the game n all but still… The nicoise salad was the only thing I’d wanna eat, mainly for the eggs. Guess I’m not a seafood person.

7 kleenex mum { 03.15.12 at 2:28 pm }

opppps sorry folks having a seniors moment :)

8 Andrea { 03.15.12 at 2:36 pm }

Fides, I am not a seafood person either so it didn’t really appeal to me . It was quite a boring show this time ,I guess we miss the antics of Gary and Peter and Thomas and Carla.

9 Calliegirl { 03.15.12 at 2:47 pm }

RR I’m fairly certain that Simon’s children were there. I did not know they were on second marriage, with combined children and got a surprise when he introduced them!? But I could be wrong. I think she had two girls and he had three boys. Enjoyed the show though.

10 brain dead dave { 03.15.12 at 3:13 pm }

Megan and Andy “winning” was a bit like seeing a draught horse beat Black Caviar or Steven Bradbury’s Gold Medal. They’re hopeless.

11 littlepetal { 03.15.12 at 3:48 pm }

I am not so sure it is such a good idea to give the People Choice to a weaker team. Remember they still have to cook the next day and if you are cooking against a better team, there is a chance your dish may be the worst dish in that challenge. You can’t think too far ahead in the game, you have to think what is best for the next challenge.

I am going to watch last night episode again as I thought sometimes while cooking, Meg the Kiwi has the white camisole on and sometime the camisole is not there!!! Very strange.

12 wannabecook { 03.15.12 at 3:50 pm }

Has anyone noticed that Meg pronnounced squid as squird (which sounds like squirt) and lemon zest as lemon zist? Is she from a certain part of NZ that has a different accent from the rest..? I didn’t notice that with Simon.

13 Fides { 03.15.12 at 3:56 pm }

Exactly BDD, do Megan and Andy not realise that by being voted by their peers, it means they’re seen as the least threat, and shouldn’t be the affirmation of their skills they’re taking it for?

And another thing, has Ch 7 timed it all wrong – they were all talking about how it’s Easter, and well, it’s just so not. Did the producers originally plan the show to only be on fewer nights per week so this would have been scheduled later? Even with the new Sunday night ep which has only happened once anyway, it doesn’t make sense.

14 Rosie { 03.15.12 at 5:04 pm }

I agree it was a bit boring, as shows go. And I would have loved to have seen just who voted for whom.

And yes, the Easter thing was just weird.

15 Marie { 03.15.12 at 6:42 pm }

Good point in regards to strategy littlepetal.
I felt bad for Jen and Leigh, that might have been thir best dish/chance for people’s choice in this competition had the voting style been different.

16 Maz { 03.15.12 at 10:32 pm }
17 littlepetal { 03.15.12 at 10:52 pm }

Another lie from Thomas. Now he said he didn’t cook before entering MKR. His cooking is so crap that he has to say he can’t cook.

18 Dr T { 03.16.12 at 12:28 am }

If precious Thomas can’t cook, why the F— did he enter a cooking competition???

But then again, plenty of people go on Idol/X Factor etc and can’t sing

19 angelina { 08.06.12 at 6:31 pm }

i like the x factor

20 Aimee Mason { 02.05.13 at 7:56 am }

Last night spice girls talk too much keep on moving
The food is too hot too much herbs in lamb and need to add more
Vegetables very blend to the dish I vote for 1 out of 2 sorry from Aimee
Mason

21 Aimee Mason { 02.05.13 at 7:58 am }

Last night spice girls talk too much keep on moving
The food is too hot too much herbs in lamb and need to add more
Vegetables I vote for 1 out of 2 sorry from Aimee
Mason

22 Aimee Mason { 02.05.13 at 8:04 am }

I love Peter and Pet. Very much I love fish more time pull out
Hooks out of fish Add more vegetables and sauce blend dish
From Aimee Mason

23 Aimee Mason { 02.14.13 at 8:58 am }

Can I vote off the witch talk too much always food picking
Why gave them 0 is bit hash rude this is not game go home leave cupcake girl alone from aimee mason

24 Aimee Mason { 02.14.13 at 9:08 am }

Can I vote off the witch talk too much always busybody