My Kitchen Rules – You Can’t Rely On Someone Cooking Worse Than You Anymore

My Kitchen Rules quick fire challenge was for the teams to turn food that kids hate in childhood into a tasty dish.

Personally I would have liked to have seen kids judge this challenge, but it was not saying to make these the dishes had to be palatable for kids.

And the twist was that the person who did not cook in the last rapid fire had to this time. This was not so stressful as the most teams had sat out the stronger cook last time.

Justine and Angela got liver which they were excited about and cooked Chicken Livers With Mashed Potato and brandy sauce. Justine was cooking her grandfathers recipe which was a risk after she tanked on one of his recipes in the challenge before (the parmesan was said to overpower the mussels). But seriously are we sure Angela is not Italian but Greek, she is like a Greek chorus in the background all the time. It is a wonder Justine does not turn around and slap her.

Nic and Rocco were making another tart of blue cheese and caramelised onion. In only 30 minutes they were making the pastry but it did not have enough time to rest. When served it crumpled and good for them that they did not try and pitch it as a deconstructed tart. The judges liked the flavours but really it was two ingredients onions and blue cheese!

Carly and Emily got lucky and got tofu which they stuffed, however the tofu did not cook all the way through in the time frame.

Steve and Helen did brussel sprouts with lemon chicken, which I thought looked delicious, but Steve was castigated for saying he was trying to hide the flavour, which quite frankly I think would be impossible.

Jen and Leigh did Sardines Escabeche which got the thumbs up from the judges. I must say Jen’s coquettish behaviour with the judges irritates me but then you can’t blame a girl for trying and at least she can cook.

The North Queensland boys did Olive bread with an olive and basil tapenade. These are my favourite pair their laconic sense of humour is very likeable. The judges really liked the flavours.

In a tough round Jennifer and Leigh and Justine and Angela were announced to be safe.

The next round was to make a dish with chocolate.

Nic and Rocco nailed it with their Chocolate Rum Dessert of course. Jen noted how good Rocco looked making it.

In fact most of the teams did well with this, and it is getting to the stage of the competition where you can’t just not scrape through hoping someone will cook a worse dish then you.

Steve and Helen found out the hard way when they served up their chocolate cake that just  was not perfect.

They will  be up against Meg and Simon on Sunday night.

1 nanaliz { 03.16.12 at 11:48 am }

Did I hear right when Andy observed that Nic and Rocco obviously like tarts!!! Must be my dirty mind.

2 kleenex mum { 03.16.12 at 11:51 am }

Enjoying the show last night and by the looks of things next weeks going to be a screamer, i type this with humour and ask does any one else remember the movie MARS ATTACK, the evil alien with the big forhead, im just laughed out loud when i saw megans ( darling ) high hair style she looked like the alien LOL …..sorry she needs a new hairdresser, hope that steve and helen win over the KIWs for no other reason that they are a very genuine couple, havent heard them say anything bad about anyone.

3 nanaliz { 03.16.12 at 12:03 pm }

I had a laugh at Megan’s hairstyle too kleenex mum. I suspect Steve and helen lose as previews show Kiwis later in week. Boy I hope i’m wrong. S & H and N& R on sunrise cooking sausages this morning. S&H on BHG tonight cooking a greek roast. When P&G were on the show they got eliminated in the next show. Is BHG the kiss of death or a spoiler????

4 Reality Raver { 03.16.12 at 12:08 pm }

Kleenex Mum and Nana Liz – LOL about Megan’s Magenta from the Rocky Horror Picture Show hairstyle.

5 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 12:28 pm }

The preview did show the Kiwi but Steve and Helen were there too, if you look carefully. So it is not conclusive. But S and H on Better Homes and Garden tonight-does it mean they are gonski? Don’t know. S and H are lovely people and hopefully they will survive on Sun but they will be going soon as the competition is really heating up.

6 Fides { 03.16.12 at 12:33 pm }

nanaliz I thought the opposite about who gets eliminated on Sunday because I thought I saw H & S in 2 different outfits whereas only spotted Meg in only one, in those blink and you’ll miss ’em promos. But Ch 7 do like to play around with their promos – it’s basically false advertising. I do agree with you about Andy’s tarts comments…I thought jeez Andy, can you put that another way?

Must say I get quite bored watching this show and I’m just not emotionally invested in it. Right after I watched this, I watched an old Masterchef S3 masterclass which I had recorded for one of the recipes… it was a weird warm fuzzy cosy feeling to see Gary demonstrating how to make some fancy fish dish. Not so warm and fuzzy seeing those S3 contestants which reminded me how horrible the last series was, but I hope it finds the formula which made S1 and 2 such essential viewing.

7 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 12:38 pm }

Good eyesight, Fides. I was trying to see whether they were wearing different outfits but couldn’t see much with H and S because you just need to blink and you miss it. With Meg, she has been shown with the same top and one shot she was in tears. Again that can be another elimination and not Sun episode.

8 nanaliz { 03.16.12 at 12:52 pm }

I guess we have to do what ch7 wants us to do and watch to see if they were tricking us with little glimpses. Sucked in again. The majority of the cooking hasn’t been that spectacular but the chemistry or lack of has been must see viewing. Ratings are holding up so they must be doing something right.

9 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 12:52 pm }

Have a look again at the preview. No, have shots of Helen and Steve wearing the white apron (must be for the cook off on Sun) but no shots of them in the black aprons. Can’t see them with different outfit.

10 Marie { 03.16.12 at 1:06 pm }

I hope Steve and Helen stay!

I thought the Tazzies were getting a little full of their own self importance with their comments about the other teams. I am sure Megan (oh god the haaaair was awful) said something about one of the dishes being boring and then later they were scoffing about how they would definitely be plating up by now. Because you know, they have never made anything boring (coughsaladnicoise) or struggled with the time…..

11 Calliegirl { 03.16.12 at 1:20 pm }

I hope Steve and Helen stay. They are a very nice brother and sister act – love the chemistry between them. Goodbye Meg and Simon…

12 Fides { 03.16.12 at 1:21 pm }

lol, I didn’t notice aprons – that would have been a good thing to look out for! I only saw Helen hugging Steve wearing a patterned shirt, then later in a red shirt looking dismayed when they all stand on the steps. That footage could have been from anytime I suppose. Only saw Meg in a blue floral shirt but think it showed her twice.

Megan’s hair reminded of Liz Lemon taking Jack Donaghy’s advice that “hair movement is a sign of weakness” in the Jack-Off episode on 30 Rock last week… I am the biggest 30 Rock nerd ever.

13 Izobel2 { 03.16.12 at 1:25 pm }

All I can say is that I would’ve eaten any one of those delicious yummy chocolate dishes…. And yes I am a chocoholic. I think I’ll be quite sad when 3000 teams get eliminated next week. Not so sad when P&G and T&C come back with their great comments and judging, Survivor “jury” style!

14 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 1:31 pm }

Megan’s hair was a real distraction for me. It’s probably best shaved right off but then I guess she’ll be sweating into the food like Andy. I don’t think Steve and Helen will break into a sweat beating them.

Are the contestants that interesting that we get them on $unrise, Better Homes and Gardens and now featured on Deal Or No Deal? Really Ch 7, there’s a difference between scratching your ar$e and tearing it to pieces.

15 Calliegirl { 03.16.12 at 1:52 pm }

BDD I was reading your comments before I looked at the Author – but I certainly knew it was you when I read your last sentence. Ta for the laugh!!

16 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 1:57 pm }

Thank The Rolling Stones for that one, Calliegirl. It’s where I first heard the phrase.

17 Fides { 03.16.12 at 2:14 pm }

Here’s an idea for Ch 7 – please could they give Rocco his own show where we have to watch him making desserts (shirtless if the situation calls for it – take that, Zumbo!) I’d watch even if it featured 20 continuous minutes of toffee twirling for that perfect toffee spring.

18 tickled pink { 03.16.12 at 2:56 pm }

But why hasn’t anyone mentioned megan’s eyebrows? THE EYEBROWS! they’re such a distraction, she needs to stop plucking them! IMMEDIATELY!

19 Dunbi { 03.16.12 at 3:10 pm }

Those toffee twists were amazing. I’m waiting for their dessert recipe to be put on the website.

20 Anna { 03.16.12 at 4:01 pm }

I really think that Helen and Steve were in a no-win situation. I looked for brussel sprouts recipes and most had cream or bacon or some other addition to “hide the flavour”, though there was a soup with almonds which didn’t look to bad. On the simpler side, I found a recipe for Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with Lemon & Olive Oil which look delicious (a Gwyneth Paltrow recipe), but would that have been considered too easy although the flavour of the brussel sprouts would have, in MKR-speak, been the hero.

21 Calliegirl { 03.16.12 at 4:10 pm }

tickled pink – Megan’s eyebrows were the subject of much discussion, way, way back in earlier episodes. You must have missed it.

22 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 4:17 pm }

Nic and Rocco are amazing with their desserts. They have their on website now but not active yet. This means that they will have finished in the Top 3.

23 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 5:03 pm }

Fides-Yes. Steve has a brown Polo shirt when standing on the steps and a pink one when cooking with the white apron. My guess now is that they are safe.

24 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 5:07 pm }

Dunbi-Nic and Rocco recipe for the Chocolate Rum Delight is here:

25 Fides { 03.16.12 at 5:32 pm }

Littlepetal – I hope so! Simon and Meg are one of the most “strategical” teams (Meg mentions it so much in their commentaries) that I’d like S and H to smash them.

So did last year’s the top 3 teams get a website? Who do people think will be this year’s top 3? I’m picking Leigh and Jennifer, Nic and Rocco and then I suppose Carly and Emily, though I’d like the army boys up there too. And if I had to pick a winner, Leigh and Jennifer. Nic and Rocco are just too inconsistent with savoury dishes.

26 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 5:53 pm }

Yep, I’ve had enough of Simon and Mug,too.

Also ‘”hero of the dish”…since when has a piece of food done something heroic?

27 Fides { 03.16.12 at 6:18 pm }

Thanks BDD – now there’s a phrase I’ll have to get used to hearing a lot of again.

28 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 7:54 pm }

He he he, my hero of the dish tonight is chocolate. I had chocolate mousse.

29 Georgie { 03.16.12 at 8:18 pm }

Three glasses of Verdhelo and a flogging great baker full of home made Nachos and I’m anybody’s. Who needs cooking shows FGS! :-)

30 Georgie { 03.16.12 at 8:39 pm }

Oh and by the way – the hero of the dish was me!

31 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 9:29 pm }

I think that’s what Thorpie just had to eat before he swam tonight.

32 littlepetal { 03.16.12 at 9:40 pm }

Poor Thorpie. Just don’t have enough gas for the last 100m.

33 Georgie { 03.16.12 at 9:46 pm }

Oh well if I was going to swim a 200m freestyle semi I probably would have had something different for dinner. Instead it was the perfect relaxing finish to a crap day.

Anyway Thorpie needs to find something else to do – you gotta move forward and comebacks are a backward move.

34 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 9:50 pm }

I need something to cheer me up after the Thorpie-doh and Jimioen will never do that.

I better go make sure that my pepper steak is properly rested or I won’t have a hero to salivate over. Eet muzz be kook to perfection.

35 Georgie { 03.16.12 at 9:59 pm }

Eef yoo are zee kook bdd, zen yoo are zee hee-ro.

And I loved how Manu said Thomarse und Colour.

36 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 10:09 pm }

I overkook ze steak, Shorghee….eet was ze oven’s fault. I can’t ween ze peephole’s shorse.

37 Georgie { 03.16.12 at 10:18 pm }

Eez eet still eddibull bdd? Eef so – bon appetit!

38 brain dead dave { 03.16.12 at 10:27 pm }

Wiz some shiz on ze top,eet was jus fine,sanks. Now I’m gong to watch ze Grat Mint Sweendhole on ze Gem.

39 Dunbi { 03.17.12 at 1:34 am }

Thank you littlepetal. I have just had a look and can’t believe that with all those ingredients it only serves two. Might just try my hand at the toffee twists! I agree with Fides on the top three and hope that Nic and Rocco win although I would be delighted if the army boys won through.

40 Fides { 03.17.12 at 5:58 pm }

Actually if the finals and this week’s eliminations involve cooking a planned 3 course meal, I’ve decided N & R have a great chance. They’re so organised and exceptional at doing what they know well – it’s the thinking-on-the-spot which brings them undone sometimes.

41 littlepetal { 03.17.12 at 9:23 pm }

In the last series the last few elimination challenges involved cooking different kind of food. I remember there was a challenge where they have to cook in a Chinese Restaurant. Only the final challenge between the top 2 teams involved a 3 course meals. As long as there is dessert, Nic and Rocco will do well.